At a Glance
Despite what many people think, your online activities aren’t private. In fact, your employer, Internet Service Provider (ISP), and in some countries, the government, can see exactly what you get up to on the internet. VPNs prevent this kind of monitoring by encrypting your traffic, ensuring that anyone without the correct decryption key will find it completely incomprehensible.
VPNs are also useful for accessing geo-restricted sites and services from abroad (like your favorite country version of Netflix). These platforms often check the user’s IP address to see if they’re located in a supported country and if not, refuse access.
Can a VPN Grab IP Addresses in Other Countries?
When you connect to a VPN, you’re given a new, country-specific IP address. This means that once you’re connected, you’re free to use the internet as though you were actually in your chosen country.
Best VPNs for Getting an IP Address for Any Country
The seven VPN service providers listed below have proven to reliably obtain IP addresses from countries around the globe.
Best VPNs for getting an IP address:
- NordVPN: Best VPN to grab an IP address in any country. The provider’s large global server network provides reliable access to foreign IP addresses and geo-blocked content. NordVPN provides fast and well-protected connections for most popular devices. Comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best budget IP grabber. This budget-priced VPN provides a reliable IP-grabbing option for internet users on a tight budget. Surfshark boasts an impressive global server network, fast connections, and comprehensive digital security and privacy. Offers simultaneous connections.
- ExpressVPN: Best Premium VPN. This provider asks for a premium price. However, it offers great bang for the buck. The provider boasts a large global server network, top-notch app and router support, and much more.
- CyberGhost: Easy global IP address for new users. First-time VPN users will appreciate Cyberghost’s comprehensive security and privacy protections, access to a massive global server network, fast connections, and easy-to-use apps.
- Private Internet Access (PIA): Reliable Access to global IPs. PIA delivers fast, reliable access to IP addresses around the globe. The provider’s fast, well-protected connections provide reliable access to geo-controlled content.
- PrivateVPN: Mighty-mite VPN firm. While this provider’s global server count is the smallest on this list, the servers are located in 63+ countries. PrivateVPN provides comprehensive connection protection, fast connection, and excellent privacy protection.
- Atlas VPN: Unlimited global IP addresses. This VPN puts no limits on the number of devices you can connect to its global server network, providing unlimited global IP addresses.
How to Change Your IP Address to Any Country
There’s no need to worry; even if you’ve never used a VPN before, getting a regional IP address is extremely simple:
- First, sign up for one of the VPNs listed below (I recommend NordVPN).
- Download and install the appropriate version of the software for your device.
- Connect to a server in the country you’d like an IP address.
- You now have a country-specific IP address and should be able to access that country’s geo-blocked content. If you’re still having problems, try clearing your browser’s cookies and cache, then refreshing the page.
PAID VPN COVERAGE FOR FREE: Do you only need a VPN for a short time? If so, you can take advantage of NordVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee. You’ll be asked to pay upfront but can cancel during this period for a full refund, no questions asked. This effectively lets you try the service out, risk-free, for a month.
Choosing the Right VPN for Getting a Foreign IP Address
Choosing a VPN isn’t as simple as it should be. There are a plethora of services to consider, and new ones appear all the time. To make things easier, when finding the best VPNs for getting a foreign IP address, I’ve only considered services meeting all of the criteria below:
- Has servers in at least 50 different countries
- Doesn’t log any information that could identify you
- Provides consistent, high-speed connections
- Uses powerful encryption and offers various additional security features
- Has apps for the most popular operating systems
- Provides access to geo-fenced content
For more information about the criteria I used, take a look at the testing methodology section found further down this article.
Here are the seven best VPNs for getting an IP address in any country.
NordVPN offers 5,200+ servers in 59+ countries all over the world. Better still, some of these locations even allow you to choose a server in a particular city. This is especially useful if you’d like to stream local TV online or bypass city-specific sporting blackouts. With high speeds and the ability to unblock all but the most stubborn services, NordVPN is ideal for those looking to stream foreign content abroad.
The provider’s connection speeds are the fastest I’ve ever measured, making them excellent for any kind of online activity you plan to conduct.
This service comes with 256-bit encryption and protection against DNS, IPv6, WebRTC, and port forwarding leaks enabled by default. However, it also offers several more advanced features including an adblocker, a malware scanner, Tor-over-VPN functionality, and more.
The provider also recently added threat protection, which helps you to avoid viruses, infected websites, and trackers. The provider’s Meshnet feature allows users to connect to any remote device directly over encrypted private tunnels and discover traffic routing.
NordVPN doesn’t keep any logs and if you’d like another layer of anonymity, you can choose to pay with Bitcoin.
The provider owns and operates many of its server farms, keeping outside contractors away from its customers’ personal info. Plus, all NordVPN servers are run solely from volatile RAM, writing no data whatsoever to an actual hard drive. This means all data is completely wiped from a server if it is rebooted, shut down, or even unplugged and moved or stolen.
Support is on hand 24/7 via live chat in case of any issues. Email support, a searchable support library, and more is available.
The provider has apps for Linux, Windows, macOS (with native M1/M2 Mac support), iOS, ChromeOS, Android TV, and Android. Chrome, Edge, and Firefox browser extensions are also available. The provider is also compatible with select WiFi routers.
- Extensive security options
- Keeps no logs of online activity
- Fastest connections on this list
- Highly affordable
- Wide-ranging global server network
- Apps aren’t exactly user friendly
BEST VPN TO CHANGE IP ADDRESS:NordVPN is a secure, inexpensive VPN with a huge network of high-speed servers and a strong commitment to your privacy. It’s the best VPN around to use to change your IP address to that of another country. It includes a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read my full NordVPN review
Surfshark offers a decent global server network and an unlimited simultaneous connections allowance at a very affordable price.
The provider has a server network that, while it is one of the smallest on this list, is growing quickly. The provider has over 3,200 servers stationed in 100+ countries around the globe. Many of the countries listed in the app offer individual city connections, allowing users to select a server located as close as possible to the content they wish to access.
The service protects its customers’ internet connections using military-grade encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection. Ad blocking, tracker, malware, and phishing protection are also available. You can obtain added anonymity by taking advantage of the provider’s MultiHop server option, which routes your connection through twin VPN servers.
A no-server-logs policy and the ability to pay for your Surfshark subscription using various forms of cryptocurrency as payment add up to comprehensive privacy protection. The provider has joined the growing rank of VPN providers that run their servers 100% from RAM. Since no data is written to a physical hard drive or SSD, all data is securely wiped when a server is restarted or powered off.
Consistent, high-speed connections are the rule with Surfshark, and the provider delivers that speed to all popular device platforms. Apps are available for Amazon Fire TV, iOS, Android, Linux, Windows, and macOS platforms. The macOS app offers native support for Apple Silicon. Chrome, Edge, and Firefox browser extensions are also available. The provider also works with a large number of router makes and models.
An unlimited simultaneous connections allowance means you can connect every connected device you own to Surfshark VPN servers, and they won’t call foul.
For an extra $1.49 (USD) per month, users can score truly private search, antivirus protection, and data breach alerts.
24/7 customer support is available, including live chat, email, a support library, and more.
- Provides reliable access to many countries
- Low price
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Super fast connection speeds
- Global server coverage needs expansion
BUDGET-PRICED OPTION:Surfshark offers high-quality service at a low price. The provider can protect a houseful of internet users thanks to its unlimited simultaneous connections allowance. The provider offers reliable access to most of the world, top-notch online security, and fast connection speeds. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of Surfshark.
ExpressVPN offers a huge amount of freedom to users looking to access foreign services abroad. It has over 3,000 servers spread between 94+ countries, and its speeds are fast enough to stream live HD content without any noticeable buffering. Additionally, ExpressVPN is capable of bypassing the strict regional blocking used by platforms like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.
This VPN uses 256-bit encryption, IPv6 and DNS leak protection, and a kill switch (which halts all traffic if you disconnect suddenly) to keep your activities private at all times.
ExpressVPN doesn’t log any personally identifiable information but allows you to sign up almost completely anonymously using Bitcoin and a throwaway email address if you’d like to.
The provider also runs all of its servers using its proprietary TrustedServer technology, which runs all server operations 100% from RAM. No data is ever written to a physical hard drive, so all data is securely wiped when an ExpressVPN server is restarted, shut down, or unplugged.
If you need help, you can reach customer support 24/7 over live chat. A searchable support library, email support, and more are also available.
ExpressVPN apps are available for macOS (with native Apple Silicon support), Windows, Linux, iOS, Chromebook, Android TV, and Android devices. Chrome, Edge, and Firefox browser extensions are available to protect your browsing.
The VPN service also offers custom router firmware and its own custom “Aircove” VPN router to make protecting all of your devices as easy as possible.
- Provides high-speed servers in a huge number of countries
- Great content-unblocking power
- Strong security and privacy
- Doesn’t log any personally identifiable information
- Only five simultaneous connections
- More expensive than some other VPNs
WIDE GLOBAL SERVER NETWORK:ExpressVPN is a secure, privacy-oriented service with servers in 94+ countries and the ability to unblock popular services abroad. It even comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read my full ExpressVPN review.
CyberGhost currently has more than 9,000+ servers across 90+ countries. This service’s main draw is that it’s extremely user-friendly; users can see which service each server is designed to unblock as well as the server’s current load, making it easy to get a low-latency, high-speed connection wherever you are in the world.
Additionally, CyberGhost permits up to seven simultaneous connections, which means you can protect a lot of your devices at once.
This service keeps you safe using a combination of 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, automatic ad-blocking, malware-scanning, and an always-on kill switch. Best of all, every one of these features is enabled by default, meaning CyberGhost is perfect for novice users.
CyberGhost doesn’t log any information on its servers that could see your activities traced back to you. Bitcoin payments are accepted.
Should you need any help, you’ll get it, since a live chat option is available 24/7.
CyberGhost provides apps for Windows, Linux, macOS, Android, Amazon Fire, and iOS devices. It works with select network routers via manual installation. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are available.
In addition to comprehensive VPN services, CyberGhost also offers a password manager, alerts when cyber breaches expose your personal information, and more. Windows users can take advantage of virus and malware protection, windows privacy customizations, and other features.
Customer support is an always-available proposition, thanks to live chat, a contact us form, email, and a searchable support library.
- Intuitive and easy-to-use
- High-speed servers
- Unblocks a multitude of streaming services
- Lacks some advanced features that other providers offer
- Doesn’t work in China
Read my full CyberGhost review
Private Internet Access (PIA) provides reliable, well-protected access to IP addresses around the globe.
The PIA global server network includes more than 3,300 servers spread well among over 80 countries, providing access to global IPs. This ensures that you’ll have access to geo-fenced content around much of the globe.
The provider protects its customers’ internet connections with banking-grade encryption, IP/DNS leak prevention, and a kill switch. The provider also blocks ads, trackers, malware, and dangerous websites.
PIA servers never save user logs tracking your online travels. The provider also accepts Bitcoin as a subscription payment. Use a disposable email address to sign up for the VPN for an additional bit of privacy.
While PIA’s connection speeds may be the slowest on this list, they can still handle your favorite online activities, including streaming, gaming online, and more. No data caps or bandwidth limitations to deal with here.
PIA’s app selection includes options for Android, Android TV, iOS, Windows, macOS, and Linux devices. Chrome, Opera, and Firefox browser extensions are also available.
The provider’s router features allow you to protect all of your connected devices via a single point of access. That router connection counts as only one of the 10 devices that can be simultaneously connected to the provider’s servers on a single user account.
PIA’s customer support options include a live chat option, a trouble ticket system, and a searchable support library.
- Access to geo-controlled content around the globe
- Comprehensive privacy and security protections
- Support for most popular devices
- No streaming-optimized servers
- Connection speeds could be better
RELIABLE ACCESS TO GLOBAL IP ADDRESSES:Private Internet Access delivers access to geo-controlled content by reliably providing IP addresses from around most of the world. PIA offers well-protected connections for popular devices. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
PrivateVPN might not have as many servers as some of its rivals (200+ across 63+ countries), but it does offer blazing fast speeds. Further, this service can reliably access platforms many VPNs struggle with, like Netflix, and the BBC iPlayer. These characteristics make PrivateVPN perfect for anyone who’d like to use foreign streaming services regularly.
This service keeps your traffic safe using a combination of 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch (Windows only). PrivateVPN allows users to sign up near-anonymously using Bitcoin, but it also has a strict no-logging policy to keep your information private.
Should you need any assistance, live chat is available 22 hours per day (it’s offline from 1-3 PM PST).
PrivateVPN apps are available for Windows, Android, macOS, and iOS. Manual installation is required for Linux systems and select routers.
- Fast speeds for downloads
- Exceptional unblocking ability
- Keeps no logs of any kind
- Small server network
- Lacking live chat support 24/7
IDEAL FOR STREAMING:PrivateVPN is a privacy-conscious VPN with strong security measures, very fast speeds, and the ability to unblock popular platforms abroad. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our PrivateVPN review.
Atlas VPN provides fast, protected access to content that is usually restricted to users in other countries.
The Atlas VPN server network of 750+ servers in 42+ countries around the globe. While the network isn’t exactly the largest in the business, it provides reliable access to IP addresses around much of the globe.
Atlas VPN’s connection speeds compare well with other providers and can easily handle your favorite online activities. The provider never imposes data caps or bandwidth limitations on its customers’ usage.
The provider’s reliable connections are well-protected by banking-grade encryption, a kill switch, IP/DNS leak protection, and other protections. The provider’s Safebrowse and Safebrowse Plus features protect you from online dangers and irritating ads.
Tracking logs are not a worry when you’re connected to Atlas VPN servers. Cryptocurrency can be used to pay for your subscription, and signing up with a disposable email address adds privacy protection.
The provider offers apps for Android, iOS, macOS, Windows, Linux, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV device platforms. However, the provider does not offer support for browser extensions or routers. Happily, both features are in development.
The provider allows users to simultaneously connect as many devices as they’d like to its servers.
Atlas limits live agent chat access to paying customers. Luckily, email, a contact form, and a support library are available to all users.
- Fast connections to global IPs
- Blocks ads and other online nasties
- Comprehensive privacy and security protections
- Live chat is available only to paying customers
- No browser or router support
UNLIMITED GLOBAL IP ADDRESSES:Atlas VPN's fast connections provide unlimited and reliable access to IP addresses from around the globe. The provider offers plenty of well-protected bandwidth for all of your favorite online activities. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of Atlas VPN.
My Methodology for Assessing VPNs for an IP Address in Any Country
You’ll find that not all VPNs reliably provide an IP address in a large number of countries.
These are the VPN features I research to determine the top VPN providers to provide fresh IP addresses in other countries:
- Server network: The larger a global server network that is offered by a VPN, the more chances that the provider can offer you an IP address based in the country of your choice.
- Connection speed: One of the popular reasons for wanting to grab an IP address in another country is to access geo-blocked content in those countries. This means fast download speeds are a must when considering a VPN. Also, VPNs that restrict their users’ usage by imposing data caps or connection throttling should be discarded out of hand.
- Value: The true value of any VPN provider is calculated by comparing the set of features it offers to the price it asks in return for those features. VPN’s that charge a premium price while lacking in features should be dropped from consideration. All of the providers on this list offer an excellent return on investment.
- Ease of use: If you’re a rookie VPN user or are simply looking for an easy way to protect and enhance your online activities, you will appreciate easy-to-use apps. NordVPN offers apps for most popular device platforms, while also offering top-notch router support and browser extensions for the Chrome and Firefox platforms.
- Security and privacy: Online security and privacy is an important consideration when choosing a VPN provider. Don’t settle for less than government-grade encryption, a kill switch, and other online security and privacy protections. Give the VPN bonus points for additional protections like malware and virus protection, and ad blocking. Never use a VPN that doesn’t have a “no logs” policy.
- Streaming: Any VPN worth consideration should offer reliable unblocking of streaming sites. Any VPN that I recommend for streaming boasts top-notch unblocking abilities.
My research doesn’t end with the factors above. In fact, they are just a small part of my comprehensive VPN testing methodology. My data-driven approach helps me to better understand the VPNs and their services, allowing me to recommend only those that are a good fit for your needs.
Do I Need to Change My TCP/IP Settings or Enable DHCP?
No. When you use a VPN it handles all of the behind-the-scenes settings and such, taking care of TCP/IP settings and DHCP settings. When you run a VPN app, select a VPN server, and click the connect button, the VPN server temporarily assigns an internet-facing IP address to your device.
Can’t I Just Use a Free VPN Instead?
You might be tempted to use a free VPN, but I’d advise against doing so for several reasons. To begin with, these services tend to have more users than their (often very limited) networks can support. As a result, you’re likely to experience slow speeds, stuttering video, and possibly even disconnection from the VPN. Further, free VPNs are usually the first to be blocked by content providers, so there’s a strong possibility you won’t be able to access the services you want.
Free VPNs don’t bill the user directly, and instead, choose to make money in other ways. This often means inserting large ads into the pages you visit, or offering higher speeds in exchange for a monthly fee. The problem is that some services resort to shadier tactics. For instance, they might store tracking cookies on your device to harvest valuable consumer information which can be sold to advertisers at a later date. By acting in this way, these services remove any control you might have had over who sees your data.
Finally, finding a safe, free VPN is harder than it ought to be. An in-depth study of free VPN apps found that of 283 services, nearly 40% contained malware, over 80% leaked personal information over IPv6, and 18% never used any form of encryption whatsoever. Better-known services aren’t necessarily any safer: in 2015, Hola was found to be selling idle user bandwidth to help run a botnet.
Using a reputable VPN with a proven history of standing up for its users’ privacy is the best way to protect yourself online.
Can I Watch Foreign TV From Abroad With a VPN?
Most streaming platforms rely on a simple IP address check to see if the user is in a supported country or not. Since VPNs change your IP address, once connected, you’re free to use platforms like BBC iPlayer, Sling TV, and SBS from anywhere. You may even be able to change your Netflix or Amazon Prime Video region and stream content that’s only available in specific countries.
However, some services have more advanced geo-blocking measures. For instance, you might be asked to provide a form of ID that’s only available in a particular region, or the platform might require a payment method linked to a local address. If you usually live in the required country, you should still be able to sign up from abroad, but if not, you’ll find it extremely difficult to do so.
Why Can’t I Get An IP Address for Some Countries?
VPNs tend to have a higher number of servers in high-traffic areas like the US, the UK, and Canada. In smaller countries, though, you’ll often find that there are far fewer to choose from or none at all.
There are a few reasons why this might be the case:
- Lack of customer demand
- Local laws make it difficult to guarantee your privacy
- The region has poor internet infrastructure, low internet penetration, or is too dangerous
- The government has instituted a country-wide firewall that blocks the VPN
- The cost of running servers in a given country outweighs the benefits
It’s worth noting that some VPNs offer servers in remote locations like Grenada and Mauritius, but these often aren’t actually located there. Instead, these virtual servers are located in another country (most commonly wherever the VPN is based or in a country close to the stated one), and simply make your traffic appear as though it originates elsewhere.
On one hand, this means you may get faster speeds than you would with a physical server. But it also means your provider may be subject to different data privacy laws with regards to traffic flowing through that server. However, as long as your provider doesn’t log personally identifiable information, this shouldn’t matter. Virtual servers are usually labeled as such on the VPN’s server list, but you can always ask the provider directly if you’re unsure.
Why Else Might I Need An IP Address From Another Country?
Have you ever received an alert saying that one of your accounts has been accessed by someone in another country? These automated systems are designed to protect you from fraud, but can rarely tell the difference between a hacker and a user who’s simply on vacation. Banks tend to err on the side of caution and restrict access, which can cause major problems if you’re in a foreign country. However, by connecting to a VPN server in your home country before logging in, you can reduce the chance of this happening at all.
When traveling, you’ll likely use public WiFi networks more often than normal. Unfortunately, these hotspots are rarely as secure as they should be, and as such, are a popular target for hackers. Further, you might find that some entirely innocent websites are blocked. With a VPN, you not only prevent your activities from being monitored, but you can also easily bypass any blocking which might be in place.
IP Address FAQs
Can I Change My IP Address to Another Country for Free?
While free VPNs can be used to change your device's IP address to one located in another country, it's not a good idea. Most free VPNs have a limited number of countries to choose from, do not do a good job of protecting your privacy, and limit your usage.
How Do I Get a US IP Address?
Simply subscribe to a reliable VPN provider, like NordVPN, install and fire up the provider's app on your connected device, select a VPN server located in the United States, and click the connect button. BAM! Your device has a fresh IP address, located in the US.
I Watched Porn on My Employer's VPN. Can They Tell That I Did?
Unlike the VPNs listed in this article, corporate VPNs are controlled by your company's IT administrators. They can log your activity, and they can tell if you visit a porn site while connected to their VPN.
Is it Legal to Change Your IP Address?
Using a VPN to change your IP address on the internet is completely legal, except for in the few countries where using a VPN is illegal or heavily restricted. Belarus, China (heavily restricted), India (heavily restricted), Iran (heavily restricted), Iraq, Jordan (heavily restricted), Myanmar, North Korea (heavily restricted), Oman (heavily restricted), Pakistan (heavily restricted), Russia, Sri Lanka (heavily restricted), Turkey (heavily restricted), Turkmenistan, Uganda (heavily restricted), UAE (heavily restricted), Uzbekistan (heavily restricted), Venezuela (heavily restricted).
Which VPN Providers Can Offer Me a Static IP Address?
There are several VPN providers that can provide static or dedicated IP addresses. These providers include NordVPN, Surfshark, CyberGhost, and Private Internet Access. You will Sometimes be required to pay an extra fee for a static IP, or find that the availability of the addresses is limited to select countries.
Is Using a Proxy Server the Same as a VPN Connection?
No. While proxy servers and VPNs can both help you access content you might normally not have access to, there are crucial differences between the two services.
First of all, while a VPN encrypts your internet connection to hide your online antics from being observed, a proxy server does not encrypt your connection, meaning your online travels can still be tracked and observed. VPNs also offer other protective measures, helping you avoid online hazards, and not tracking your online activities. Some proxy servers, especially free proxy services, may track your online travels, selling the information to interested outsiders.
Why Would I Want to Change My IP Address?
There are several advantages to changing your IP address. Changing your IP address opens access to geo-fenced content, and keeps others from tracking your geographic location by looking at your IP address.
What's the Best Way to Change My Device's IP Address?
There are two popular ways to change your device's IP address. First, you can use a proxy server, which changes your IP but does not encrypt your internet connections. By using a VPN, you not only change your IP address, you also encrypt your internet connection, preventing anyone from monitoring your online activities.
- At a Glance
- Can a VPN Grab IP Addresses in Other Countries?
- Best VPNs for Getting an IP Address for Any Country
- How to Change Your IP Address to Any Country
- Choosing the Right VPN for Getting a Foreign IP Address
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. Private Internet Access
- 6. PrivateVPN
- 7. Atlas VPN
- My Methodology for Assessing VPNs for an IP Address in Any Country
- Do I Need to Change My TCP/IP Settings or Enable DHCP?
- Can’t I Just Use a Free VPN Instead?
- Can I Watch Foreign TV From Abroad With a VPN?
- Why Can’t I Get An IP Address for Some Countries?
- Why Else Might I Need An IP Address From Another Country?
- IP Address FAQs
- Can I Change My IP Address to Another Country for Free?
- How Do I Get a US IP Address?
- I Watched Porn on My Employer's VPN. Can They Tell That I Did?
- Is it Legal to Change Your IP Address?
- Which VPN Providers Can Offer Me a Static IP Address?
- Is Using a Proxy Server the Same as a VPN Connection?
- Why Would I Want to Change My IP Address?
- What's the Best Way to Change My Device's IP Address?