Minecraft is Mojang’s sandbox video game that allows players to build things in a 3D virtual world, using different types of blocks. Players can also explore the world, gather new resources, craft objects, and if they so wish, wage combat.
Unfortunately, if you’re a Minecraft fan, you might find that your favorite world is blocked in certain areas. Whether the blockade is one that’s geographically-based or has been erected by your school or employer, it’s frustrating when you can’t access certain Minecraft worlds or play in your spare time.
Luckily, Minecraft players can make use of an easy-to-use tool that avoids Minecraft blockades, opening up access to your favorite game, no matter where you’re at.
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) encrypts your internet connection, preventing school, employer or other third-party roadblocks from detecting your Minecraft activity.
A VPN can also make it appear as if you are located in a different region of the world, opening up access to Minecraft no matter where you’re at.
In addition to opening up access to Minecraft, a VPN also protects your privacy and enhances your security while online, allowing you to shop, conduct business, pay bills and more with no fear of your precious personal data being stolen.
Best VPNs for Minecraft
I’ve tested numerous VPN providers, and the results showed that the following 6 VPNs worked best for Minecraft players:
- NordVPN: This provider is my #1 pick for best VPN for Minecraft. This value-priced VPN service delivers fast, well-encrypted connections, which go undetected by Minecraft. Global server coverage provides access to Minecraft in other regions.
- Surfshark: This fast-growing provider delivers fast, well-protected Minecraft connections to an unlimited number of players on a single set of login credentials, and it asks only a very reasonable sum in return.
- ExpressVPN: Offers excellent global server coverage and optimal security and privacy to its users. Goes undetected by Minecraft servers. Provides fast connections and more.
- IPVanish: Offers high-speed connections protected by military-grade encryption that go undetected by Minecraft. The provider also offers top-notch security and privacy to its users.
- PrivateVPN: Delivers reliable Minecraft access, and its speedy connections come in handy for streaming and file downloads. Their server count is small, but they’re well located.
- VyprVPN: Good native app support. Owns and operates its servers. Fast, Minecraft-capable connections that aren’t limited by data caps or bandwidth limitations.
So, it’s important to choose a VPN that can go undetected by the Minecraft servers.
I evaluated and ranked the top Minecraft VPNs by the following criteria:
- Optimal global server coverage
- Fast connection speeds with no data caps
- Goes undetected by Minecraft servers
- Comprehensive privacy protections
- Top-notch connection encryption
- Good multi-platform support
Here’s my list of the best 6 VPNs for use with Minecraft.
NordVPN easily scored a 1st-place finish thanks to its extraordinarily fast connection speeds, comprehensive global server coverage and ability to slip under Minecraft’s VPN detection radar.
This provider has over 5,400 servers stationed in 59+ countries, which provide access to Minecraft servers around the globe. They also open access to geo-restricted streaming content and other gaming activities.
NordVPN’s connection speeds are extremely fast and easily handle Minecraft and other activities, including file sharing, video and music streaming, or any other type of online entertainment you enjoy.
Those connections are well-protected thanks to 256-bit encryption and automatic kill switch protection that keeps your connection from being exposed to prying eyes. Those encrypted connections also fly under Minecraft’s radar, so no worries about your VPN usage being detected.
NordVPN is located in Panama, allowing them to follow a strict no-logs policy, meaning there are no records of their users’ online antics. Plus, a Bitcoin payment option means your payment information is also kept safe and sound.
The provider delivers comprehensive app support, with apps for the Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Linux and Android TV platforms. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available.
The service also works well with numerous makes and models of routers, if by chance NordVPN’s generous allotment of 6 simultaneous connections on a single username isn’t enough for you.
- High-speed servers
- Supports popular device platforms
- No-logs policy
- Low price
- 6 simultaneous connections
- No way to select a specific server city
BEST VPN FOR MINECRAFT:NordVPN is the best option for Minecraft players who appreciate super speedy connections at a low price. Excellent global server coverage and multi-platform support enhance your Minecraft experience. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of NordVPN.
The best part of Surfshark’s service is the fact that it’s offered at an extremely reasonable price.
Surfshark offers a global server count of 3,200+ servers located in 65+ countries. That is about twice what the provider had at this time last year, and it provides access to Minecraft and other games in most areas of the world.
This provider’s connection speeds can more than keep up with the needs of Minecraft or any other online game. They also provide fast access to HD streaming services and file sharing services. No data caps or bandwidth limitations will interrupt you in the middle of a build.
The provider does a comprehensive job of keeping your online activities incognito thanks to its use of military-grade encryption, a kill switch and its DNS leak prevention. It also offers ad and tracker blocking, as well as malware and phishing protection.
Plus, the provider’s proprietary MultiHop server feature can route your internet connection through two VPN servers for double online protection.
No server logs and an acceptance of various forms of cryptocurrency add up to top-notch privacy protection.
Surfshark offers app support for all of the major device platforms, including Amazon Fire TV, iOS, Android, Linux, Windows and macOS. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available. The provider is also compatible with a large number of router makes and models.
Surfshark’s unlimited simultaneous connections allowance means all of your family’s Minecraft players (even Grandma) can connect to their favorite foreign Minecraft server at once.
- Provides reliable access to Minecraft
- Budget pricing
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Fast, well-protected connections
- One-month subscription somewhat expensive
BEST FOR BUDGET:Surfshark can provide online protection for a stadium full of Minecraft players, so it can easily handle your group. It doesn’t ask a high price for its high level of service. The provider offers reliable Minecreaft access, and comprehensive online security and privacy. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of Surfshark.
ExpressVPN makes it onto this list thanks to its excellent global server coverage, which offers access to international gaming content and service. Its multi-platform support and fast speeds are definite bonuses.
The provider’s global server coverage (3,000+ servers in 94 countries) is some of the best in the industry, and it’s definitely the best in this roundup. Not only will you have excellent access to any Minecraft server, you’ll also have access to other blocked services and content, including streaming services and other online gaming arenas.
ExpressVPN’s servers provide connection speeds that are well up to the needs of Minecraft, as well as other online activities, such as streaming video or downloading files. (The provider has no data caps or bandwidth restrictions whatsoever.)
Your online security is well protected thanks to ExpressVPN’s military-level encryption and kill switch-protected connections.
Minecraft’s VPN detection measures don’t detect ExpressVPN, so you’ll never have to worry about Minecraft kicking you off their servers because you’re using a VPN.
ExpressVPN is when it comes to privacy protections, keeping no logs of their users’ online pursuits and offering a Bitcoin payment option.
Minecraft is available on many popular desktop, mobile and gaming platforms, making multi-platform support important. ExpressVPN has you covered, with apps for Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, Kindle Fire and Chromebook devices.
Xbox and PlayStation users can make use of ExpressVPN’s optimal router support to protect their Minecraft sessions.
ExpressVPN allows 5 simultaneous connections on a single login. You can connect even more devices via an ExpressVPN-compatible router.
- Optimal global server coverage
- Delivers gaming-capable connection speeds
- Undetectable by Minecraft
- Top-notch multi-platform app support
- Subscription options are expensive
- Only 5 simultaneous connections
WORLDWIDE GAMING ACCESS:ExpressVPN comes in 3rd thanks to its wide global server coverage, which unblocks access to gaming content and servers across the world. Its connection speeds and multi-platform support are excellent. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of ExpressVPN.
IPVanish is a good choice for the Minecraft player who values online security above all else. The provider owns and operates all of its VPN servers, ensuring that no third party has access to its customers’ information or needs to get involved when issues arise.
Those 1,500+ owned and operated servers are located strategically in 55+ countries around the world, providing plenty of connection options. Those options include the ability to evade Minecraft’s VPN detection abilities thanks to an obfuscation feature that disguises your VPN traffic as normal internet traffic.
IPVanish’s connection speeds are not the fastest in this lineup, but they are more than swift enough for Minecraft and most other online activities. Those connections are well protected with 256-bit encryption and kill switch options.
IPVanish’s privacy protections are quite impressive, as the provider keeps no logs of any kind related to your online activities. However, payment privacy could be better, as there’s no private payment option, such as Bitcoin.
As a gamer, you likely don’t restrict your online gaming activity to one device. IPVanish has you covered with native apps for the iOS, Android, Windows, macOS and Amazon Fire TV Stick platforms.
Thanks to IPVanish’s generous unlimited simultaneous connections allowance on a single login, you don’t have to leave your other devices unprotected while you’re building your latest creation in Minecraft.
You can also take advantage of their top-notch router compatibility to protect all of your devices, including your Xbox or Playstation, via a single access point.
- VPN servers owned and operated by IPVanish
- Easy-to-use native apps for popular platforms
- Top-notch connection protection
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- No browser extensions
- No cryptocurrency payment option
OFFERS EXTRA PRIVACY:IPVanish can protect unlimited devices at once, and their app support covers the most popular device platforms. However, the most attractive feature for privacy-minded individuals will likely be the provider’s proprietary server network, which keeps third-party operators away from customers’ personal information. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of IPVanish.
PrivateVPN may not be as well known as other VPN providers on this list, but it’s quickly becoming known for delivering reliable, fast and well-protected connections.
PrivateVPN’s server count is very low, with only about 150 servers in operation. However, those servers are well spread out across 60 counties.
The provider delivers well-protected and speedy VPN connections, delivering plenty of speed for your online needs. It also never places any bandwidth restrictions or data caps on their customers’ connections.
PrivateVPN’s apps offer a Stealth VPN feature that makes your VPN traffic appear to be normal internet traffic, as well as a kill switch feature to protect you in case you lose connection to PrivateVPN’s servers. Both features aid you in going undetected by Minecraft’s VPN detection sentries.
Native app support from this service is somewhat limited when compared to other VPNs on this list, supporting only the macOS, iOS, Windows, and Android platforms. However, the provider’s comprehensive router support can keep all of your other devices protected.
Those apps provide military-grade 256-bit encrypted connections, keeping your online activities well-hidden from prying eyes.
PrivateVPN protects your privacy while connected to their servers, keeping no logs of any kind of your online activities. They also offer a cryptocurrency payment option to keep your payment info undercover.
PrivateVPN offers 6 simultaneous connections using a single username, so numerous Minecraft players in your group can be well covered.
- Top-notch connection encryption
- Swift connection speeds
- Up to 6 concurrent connections
- Server numbers could stand improvement
- Multi-platform support comes up short compared to competitors
GREAT CONNECTION SPEEDS:PrivateVPN delivers the top speeds in this roundup, making it the best choice for users who believe speed is king. While the provider’s server count is low, it does a good job of spreading them out around the globe. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of PrivateVPN.
VyprVPN just made it into this roundup, grabbing the 5th and final spot thanks to its wide global server coverage, strong native app support and solid online security protections.
This provider owns and operates all 700+ of its servers, which are located in 70 countries around the globe. By owning and operating its servers, VyprVPN keeps third parties out of the equation, keeping your data safer.
VyprVPN connections go undetected by Minecraft’s VPN traps, making it a great way to connect to the game.
The provider keeps no logs of your online antics while you’re connected to their servers, meaning there are no records of your VPN-protected travels. However, your payment information isn’t completely private, as there’s no cryptocurrency payment option.
VyprVPN’s connection speeds aren’t the fastest in this collection of VPN providers. However, they’re easily up to online gaming requirements, including Minecraft’s. Plus, VyprVPN connections are protected by military-grade encryption.
Native app support is a strong point for VyprVPN, with native apps available for the macOS, Windows, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, Android, and Android TV platforms.
Although the provider’s simultaneous connections allowance is only 3 users, those who need more connections can make use of the service’s compatibility with DD-WRT, OpenWRT, and ASUSWRT routers to connect multiple users via a single access point.
- Owns and operates servers in over 70 countries
- Flies under Minecraft’s radar
- Strong native app and router support
- Takes a bigger chunk out of your billfold than many other VPNs
- No anonymous payment option
SELF-OWNED SERVERS ADD TO PROTECTION:VyprVPN owns and operates its servers, putting another layer of protection between your personal data and third parties. VyprVPN’s well-encrypted connections easily evade Minecraft’s VPN detection schemes. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of VyprVPN.
Methodology for Assessing VPNs for Minecraft
Don’t choose just any VPN service provider for use with Minecraft. Not all VPNs offer the specs necessary to perform well with the game.
These are the most important factors I looked out for when deciding upon which VPNs to recommend for Minecraft:
- Speed: Considering that, as a gamer, lag is your worst enemy, it’s important to consider the connection speeds that your chosen VPN offers. Each VPN on my list performed extremely well in my most recent connection speed tests.
- Server Network: Minecraft offers servers all over the world, so the ability to unblock foreign servers is likely important to you. That makes a large global server network a key consideration. Also, having a high server count means a VPN will offer faster speeds, as its servers won’t be overloaded with users.
- Value: Price is always an important consideration, and it’s no different for Minecraft players. I made sure that each VPN on my list offers features and functionality that justify its price. Most of them are pretty low-priced, too.
- Ease of Use: Easy-to-use apps are something to keep an eye out for, as it means quicker and easier access to VPN protection while playing Minecraft. Also consider whether or not a VPN offers apps for your preferred gaming devices. All of the VPNs on my list offer simple apps for a plethora of devices.
- Security and Privacy: Always look for excellent digital security and privacy protections in any VPN service provider you consider. There should be, at the very least, banking-level encryption, an automatic kill switch and DNS/IP leak protection. Make sure the VPN doesn’t save logs of your online activities, too. All VPNs on my list fit this description.
- Gaming: If you play Minecraft, chances are that you play other games, too. All of the VPNs on my list work well for Minecraft, LoL, WoW and Final Fantasy, and for accessing Steam. Plus, they work for watching Twitch and unblocking Twitch, and removing bans from Fortnite, Runescape, Discord and more.
Check out more information about my VPN testing methodology.
How to Use a VPN With Minecraft
If you’re searching for a way to enhance your Minecraft experience, do the following:
- Purchase a subscription from a VPN provider.
- Install the VPN app(s) on your favorite Minecraft-compatible device(s).
- Log in to the VPN and connect to a server.
- Rock your Minecraft world.
Does Minecraft Ban VPNs?
As I previously mentioned, even though Mojang hasn’t officially stated that they ban VPN usage when playing Minecraft, you may find that a Minecraft server is blocking the IP address that your favorite VPN server uses.
This happens from time to time. How a Minecraft server detects a VPN is unknown, but the process could be similar to Netflix’s detection methods.
When this happens, close the Minecraft app, disconnect from your current VPN server and reconnect to a different server. Start the game again, and you should be good to go.
Is a Free VPN a Good Option for Use With Minecraft?
If, on the unlikely chance that you are able to find a free VPN that Minecraft can’t detect, you will likely be dissatisfied with the experience.
Minecraft developer Mojang is quite aggressive when it comes to ferreting out VPN users, and most free VPN services simply don’t have the proper features to allow them to go undetected.
Plus, many free VPN providers throttle their users’ bandwidth and place data caps on free accounts. Neither of those is a plus when it comes to any type of online gaming (or other forms of online activity, for that matter).
If you use a free VPN, I hope you’re into delayed gratification. Many free VPN services will place a user into a queue, where they wait until they’re allowed to connect to one of a select few servers. That’s not much fun when you’re looking to satisfy your Minecraft jones.
Last but not least, many “free” VPNs aren’t really free. You’re paying for them with your personal information and online privacy. (And aren’t those two of the things you’re using a VPN to protect?)
Some free VPN providers will keep logs of your online activities and sell them to advertisers and other interested third parties. Or, they’ll inject tracking cookies and ads into your browsing sessions.
If you want to keep your online travels truly undercover, never use a free VPN. Always use a VPN provider with an established track record of truly protecting their users’ information.
How Can I Get Around a Minecraft Account Ban?
It is possible to get banned from Minecraft. How easy it is to get around that ban and get back to building depends on why you were banned in the first place.
Mojang doesn’t usually permanently ban a player from the world of Minecraft unless they’ve done something illegal, such as buying the game with a stolen credit card number.
Usually, a Minecraft ban consists of banning your IP address from accessing the game or banning you from a specific server, which usually proves to be temporary.
In the case of an IP ban, simply use your VPN to obtain a different IP address, and you should be back in the game.
Server bans can be tougher. Many times, server bans include the banning of a specific Minecraft account. In this case, you’ll likely need to change your IP with a VPN and then get another account.
In any case, keep in mind that you should always respect your fellow players, play fair, and not cheat. A little bit of online courtesy goes a long way.
Minecraft VPN FAQs
Why Would I be Blocked From Playing Minecraft?
You may be blocked from playing Minecraft if you're trying to connect to your favorite server while connecting on your school or work network. Believe it or not, schools and employers don't want you to play Minecraft when you're supposed to be working. You may also have had your IP address banned by a Minecraft server administrator.
Will a VPN Increase My Ping Numbers?
It is likely that your ping numbers will increase at least slightly. In some rare cases, they may actually improve. It all depends on which VPN server you connect to. If the VPN server you select is a large distance away from a Minecraft server, your ping can increase. Always try to find a VPN server that is located as closely as possible to your favorite Minecraft server.
Can I Be Banned From Minecraft for Using a VPN?
You likely won't be banned, but you may be blocked from connecting. It's an academic difference, yes. However, you can connect to another VPN server and attempt to connect again.
Minecraft is one of the most popular games to ever hit the internet. By using a VPN, you’ll no longer be limited to Minecraft action available in your own region, but gain access to servers in locations around the globe.
A VPN like NordVPN – with its excellent global server coverage, fast connections, and top-notch privacy and security protections at a reasonable price – is an excellent way to access Minecraft servers around the world, while also protecting your other online activities.
For more information or to purchase a subscription, visit the NordVPN website.
- Best VPNs for Minecraft
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. IPVanish
- 5. PrivateVPN
- 6. VyprVPN
- Methodology for Assessing VPNs for Minecraft
- How to Use a VPN With Minecraft
- Does Minecraft Ban VPNs?
- Is a Free VPN a Good Option for Use With Minecraft?
- How Can I Get Around a Minecraft Account Ban?
- Minecraft VPN FAQs
- Why Would I be Blocked From Playing Minecraft?
- Will a VPN Increase My Ping Numbers?
- Can I Be Banned From Minecraft for Using a VPN?