If you’re like millions of other Canadians, you enjoy a good Netflix binge. However, you likely don’t always feel that you’re getting your money’s worth out of your Netflix subscription.
As of 2021, Netflix Canada offered 3,000+ titles (movies and TV shows). Meanwhile, Netflix in the United States offered 5,000+ titles. This means that the U.S. Netflix library has numerous titles that are not available in its Canadian collection.
Geez, just a few miles south is all of that tantalizing American Netflix content. Why can’t you view it?
You can. In this article, I’m going to show you how to use a VPN to unlock all of that sweet American Netflix content, and also tell you which VPN is the best one for the job.
The easy way to access U.S. Netflix in Canada...
You don’t need to relocate to access the U.S. Netflix library. All you need is a VPN, but not all VPNs will work.
I’ve tested a lot of VPNs, and I find NordVPN to be the most reliable for access to Netflix USA and many other countries.
It’s really fast as well, so you can binge in HD without the buffering.
NordVPN has a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it risk-free.
Why American Netflix Can’t Be Accessed in Canada
No matter where you travel, your Netflix login will gain entry to the local flavor of Netflix. But, if you’re looking to access your favorite shows and movies from stateside, you are going to be sorely disappointed.
If you fire up your Netflix app or type “https://netflix.com” into your browser, you will be automatically routed to the local version of the service. You’ll likely notice the available content doesn’t quite match the selection back home.
Netflix isn’t being a jerk when they do this – they’re simply keeping in line with the commitments they made when they signed their content licensing agreements.
Why Is American Netflix Content Inaccessible in Canada?
The movies and TV series you enjoy on Netflix (as well as those you don’t) are all supplied by movie studios, television networks, and other providers.
Netflix signs contracts with each provider, which allow the service to stream the content to their subscribers. Those contracts designate exactly which regions the content is allowed to be viewed.
Those agreements are the reason why the shows and movies you watch in the U.S. aren’t available just a few short miles away in Canada. If Netflix doesn’t prevent access, they’ll get unwelcome correspondence from entertainment industry lawyers. And that’s never good.
How Does Netflix Stop Non-Residents From Viewing American Netflix Content?
When your computer or another type of connected device logs on to the internet, it’s assigned an IP address. The address acts as a point of reference for the information sent and received by the device. (Much like your home’s mailing address helps the post office know where to deliver the mail.)
All countries are assigned a range of IP addresses to identify connected devices inside their borders.
Netflix knows the IP addresses used by each country. It uses that information to identify the originating point of each viewer’s connection and to route that connection to the properly licensed content for that country.
How a VPN Gets Around Netflix’s Barriers
What Is a VPN?
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is an excellent tool for protecting a user’s privacy, keeping their online antics and the associated personal and business-related information undercover from third parties who would love to get their greedy paws on such info.
A VPN can also “spoof” a user’s location, making it appear that the user’s connection is originating from a country other than the one they are physically located in. This feature makes a VPN the perfect tool for opening up access to Netflix content, no matter where it’s stored.
How a VPN Enables Access to American Netflix Content
As I mentioned in the previous section, a VPN can be used to open up access to Netflix in other countries due to its ability to “spoof” a user’s IP address.
When a user is looking to access the American Netflix library, they do the following.
They load a VPN app on their device, connect to a VPN server located in the U.S., and then either visit the Netflix website or load the Netflix app.
Netflix sees that the viewer’s connection appears to be coming from the U.S. and therefore routes the user’s connection to their U.S.-based servers.
For an all-too-short period of time, this was an almost foolproof method for accessing Netflix from outside the U.S. However, Netflix finally caught on to what was happening. The streaming provider then quickly became adept at detecting when a VPN was being used to access their servers.
If Netflix sees a large number of users coming into their servers via the same IP address, the streaming service detects this as VPN activity and stops that IP address from accessing their service.
Netflix has gotten so good at doing this that VPN providers with limited resources have given up on offering access to Netflix. Luckily, some continue to fight the good fight. The best of this group of VPN providers is NordVPN.
NordVPN is the best VPN provider around if you’re looking to access American Netflix content from outside of the U.S. The provider makes use of its impressive resources to keep access to Netflix open for its users.
The provider offers fast connections, top-notch privacy protections, and comprehensive customer support. Its above-average global server coverage ensures that its customers can access Netflix content, no matter where it’s located.
NordVPN also supplies a nice bit of Netflix-focused information to users, including FAQs and links to browser extensions, all intended to enhance your streaming activities.
1. Connection Speed
With its super-fast connection speeds, NordVPN’s connections should be more than up to matching Netflix’s recommended connection speeds.
2. Multi-Platform Support
No matter which connected device you use, it’s a good bet that you can view Netflix on it. NordVPN has you covered, with excellent multi-platform support, including options for Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire, Linux and Android TV devices. Browser extensions are available to protect your Chrome and Firefox viewing and browsing sessions.
Router support is also available, and you can connect up to 6 devices at once on one set of login credentials.
3. Customer Support
If you ever have an issue with NordVPN’s servers, you can get support any time of day via the provider’s handy 24/7 support chat option. A trouble ticket tracking system and a searchable support library are also available.
4. Global Server Coverage
Canadian Netflix viewers can access their favorite movies almost anywhere around the globe thanks to NordVPN’s global server coverage of 5,500+ servers stationed in nearly 60 countries. Servers are, of course, available in the U.S.
NordVPN keeps no logs of any kind tracking their customers’ online travels. A Bitcoin subscription payment option protects your payment information. The provider is currently moving its server network to an owned-and-operated model, which keeps third-party contractors away from your data. Plus, all servers are operated solely from RAM, meaning no data is ever written to a physical hard drive. All data is securely wiped when a NordVPN server is rebooted.
NordVPN is a bargain-priced provider, with its multi-year subscriptions offering an especially good deal.
The provider offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Methodology for Assessing a VPN for American Netflix in Canada
Many of my readers have likely discovered that not all VPNs are capable of streaming American Netflix from inside Canadian borders. That’s why I had to consider multiple key factors when I mulled over which VPN to recommend for accessing U.S. Netflix in Canada.
These are those key factors and why they’re important:
- Streaming: Netflix subscribers are likely to subscribe to other streaming sites as well. NordVPN offers reliable access to numerous video streaming services, including Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer and more.
- Connection Speed: Download speed is an incredibly important factor to consider for streaming. Without fast connections, you may be faced with long buffering times and low-resolution playback. The VPN I recommend here, NordVPN, scored the 3rd-fastest connection speeds in my most recent connection speed tests.
- Server Network: American servers are required if you want to access American Netflix content, and most VPNs have plenty of servers based in the US. However, you should also look for a provider with a large server network, as it comes in handy if you want to access content from services based in other countries. A large number of servers in a specific country is also a plus, as it should mean better server performance, as no single server will likely be overloaded with users.
- Value: Always weigh the features offered by any VPN provider against the price that it charges. NordVPN offers an excellent value for the money, asking a reasonable price in return for its top-notch services.
- Ease of Use: Any VPN worth its salt should offer easy-to-use apps for as many popular device platforms as possible. NordVPN offers easy-to-use apps for a wide array of devices.
- Security and Privacy: If you’re online, your privacy is at risk. And guess what? It’s an always-connected world. Banking-level encryption, an automatic kill switch and DNS/IP leak protection should be the least that a quality VPN should offer. Plus, look for a strict no-logs policy that will keep your online travels incognito. NordVPN offers all of the above protections and more.
Check out more information about my VPN testing methodology.
American Netflix in Canada FAQs
How to Change Netflix to Canada?
If you want to watch Canadian Netflix from the U.S. or elsewhere, just do the following:
- Subscribe to a reputable VPN provider with servers in Canada. (My top pick is NordVPN.)
- Download the app(s) onto your device(s).
- Log into the service.
- Connect to a VPN server in Canada.
- Visit the Netflix website. You will be routed to the Canadian version of the service.
- Voila! Canadian Netflix will now be available.
What Is the Difference Between American Netflix and Canadian Netflix?
Netflix Canada vs. Netflix U.S.: American Netflix offers 5,000+ titles, while Canadian Netflix offers 3,000+ titles. That's a difference of 2,000 titles! American Netflix's content offerings clearly outnumber Canada's, making accessing U.S. Netflix an enticing proposition.
When the hockey season is over, and you’re down to your last cheese curd, it’s time for a Netflix binge. And if your favorite movies and TV shows are based outside of Canadian borders, NordVPN will come to the rescue.
The provider offers speedy connections, excellent global server coverage, optimal privacy protection, top-level customer support, and extensive multi-platform support.
- The easy way to access U.S. Netflix in Canada...
- Why American Netflix Can’t Be Accessed in Canada
- How a VPN Gets Around Netflix’s Barriers
- Best VPN to Use in Canada to Access American Netflix: NordVPN
- Methodology for Assessing a VPN for American Netflix in Canada
- American Netflix in Canada FAQs
- How to Change Netflix to Canada?
- What Is the Difference Between American Netflix and Canadian Netflix?