World of Warcraft (WoW) is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) that was first released in 2004 by Blizzard Entertainment. The game has proven to be a popular one for Blizzard—at its peak, the game boasted 12 million subscribers and is still one of the most popular MMORPGs available today.
Unfortunately, many schools and employers block access to World of Warcraft and a number of other online games.
Why is World of Warcraft Blocked?
For some strange reason, schools and employers expect you to study or do your job, but without the ability to enjoy a rousing session of World of Warcraft on your break! Unbelievable.
Another sad fact is that not all of World of Warcraft’s servers are available around the world. This can be due to local government censorship or simply a decision on Blizzard’s part to not support players from a particular geographical area.
Thankfully, a Virtual Private Network (VPN) can solve both of these problems.
A VPN allows a WoW player to appear to be located in almost any part of the world. This allows them to access blocked servers and content, opening up the “worlds” they can enter in WoW.
In addition, a VPN creates an encrypted tunnel to hide your internet connection from prying eyes. If anyone, such as a school or employer, is monitoring your internet connection or attempting to block it, they won’t be able to see what you’re doing.
And if they can’t see what the connection is for, they can’t block it.
In this article, I’ll share with you the top VPNs for use when playing World of Warcraft. In addition, I’ll discuss the most important criteria for choosing a VPN, and how well each top VPN provider performs in each category.
Best VPNs for World of Warcraft
I ran all of my favorite VPN providers through rounds of rigorous testing, and the data I collected indicated that the following VPNs worked best to enhance my World of Warcraft experience:
- NordVPN: is the best overall VPN for WoW. The provider offers some of the fastest connection speeds I’ve ever seen, and it doesn’t charge much for them. The provider’s security and privacy protections are top-notch, as is its multi-platform support.
- Surfshark: This fast-growing provider delivers fast, well-protected connections to an unlimited number of WoW players on a single account. The provider’s low price will make it attractive to users on a budget.
- ExpressVPN: Offers connection speeds more than sufficient to keep your WoW action going smoothly. It also offers extensive global server coverage, as well as excellent security and privacy protections.
- CyberGhost: Offers easy-to-use macOS and Windows apps that deliver speedy connections, and its wide global server coverage ensures access to gaming hotspots around the world.
- Private Internet Access: This provider delivers excellent access to World of Warcraft and other online games. Fast connections and top-notch connection protections enhance and protect your gaming.
- PrivateVPN: This provider’s somewhat limited global server network provides reliable access to WoW and other geo-controlled content in the areas where it is available.
- Atlas VPN: Fast, secure connections are a hallmark here, as the VPN provides reliable online protection and access to geo-blocked content for most device owners.
I ranked the top seven VPNs for World of Warcraft according to the following 5 criteria:
- Connection speed
- Connection reliability
- Global server coverage
- Online security protections
- Privacy protections
Here’s my list of the top seven VPNs for World of Warcraft.
NordVPN earned the top spot in this roundup thanks to its extremely fast connection speeds, excellent security and privacy protections, great multi-platform support and more.
This provider offers the fastest connection speeds among our challengers, delivering more than enough bandwidth for any of your online activities. You’ll find the provider’s connections allow gaming, video and music streaming, file downloads and more to go off without a hitch.
Plus, NordVPN’s connections are reliable. I’ve rarely experienced connection issues in the years I’ve been testing the provider.
NordVPN’s global server coverage ranks highly, with the provider offering nearly 5,400 servers across the world in nearly 60 countries. This should be more than enough to offer access to the gaming and entertainment meccas around the world.
The service does an excellent job protecting you with military-grade 256-bit AES encryption and kill switch-protected connections.
A strict no-logs policy and an acceptance of Bitcoin for subscription payments mean you can remain totally anonymous if you wish.
Plus, the provider’s owned-and-operated servers keep outside contractors away from customers’ personal information. The provider also runs all of those servers 100% only from volatile RAM, meaning no information is ever written to a physical hard drive. This ensures that all data is totally wiped from a NordVPN server whenever it is rebooted.
In addition to the required Windows and macOS (with native M1 Mac support) apps for World of Warcraft use, NordVPN also offers Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux and Fire TV apps. Also, Chrome, Edge and Firefox browser extensions are also available.
The provider allows up to six users to be connected at once using the same login credentials. If that’s not sufficient, you can protect all of your connected devices via NordVPN’s comprehensive router support.
- WoW! Fast connection speeds
- Very reasonably priced
- Servers in 59 countries
- Up to 6 simultaneous connections per account
- High-end security and privacy protections
- Android app has no kill switch
BEST VPN FOR WORLD OF WARCRAFT:NordVPN is the top overall provider on my list. It’s an excellent option for budget-minded World of Warcraft players who also enjoy other online activities, like streaming video. The provider’s breakneck speeds and comprehensive multi-platform support add to the value. NordVPN comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of NordVPN.
Surfshark provides reliable access to Warcraft servers, no matter where the servers are located. The provider’s unlimited simultaneous connections allowance is perfect for local area network (LAN) party groups going online. Most importantly, Surfshark offers its excellent service at a low price.
Surfshark’s connection speeds are easily able to keep up with WoW action, and they also provide more than enough bandwidth for streaming HD video and sharing large files. No bandwidth limits or daily or monthly data caps to worry about here.
This provider is one of the most reliable VPNs I’ve ever used, delivering hours upon hours of online action with no drops or other issues.
Surfshark offers an impressive global server count of 3,200+ servers located in 64+ countries. That is a huge increase over what the provider boasted at this time last year.
Surfshark does an excellent job of protecting its customers’ online activities from prying eyes, using government-grade 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch and DNS leak prevention. The provider also offers ad-blocking, tracker, malware and phishing protection. A proprietary MultiHop server mode routes your internet traffic through two VPN servers.
The provider keeps no server logs of their users’ online activities and accepts various forms of cryptocurrency as payment.
Surfshark has all of the major device platforms covered, supporting the Amazon Fire TV, iOS, Android, Linux, Windows and macOS (with Apple Silicon support) platforms. Chrome, Edge and Firefox browser extensions are also available. The provider also works with a large number of router makes and models.
Surfshark’s unlimited simultaneous connections allowance means all of the gamers in your house can be covered at once.
- Provides reliable World of Warcraft access
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Fast connection speeds
- Global server coverage numbers could be better
GREAT VALUE:Surfshark can provide online protection for a houseful of WoW’ers and it doesn’t charge a high price. The provider offers reliable access to WoW, top-notch online security and fast connection speeds. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available through Surfshark.
Read our full review of Surfshark.
ExpressVPN grabs the #3 spot thanks to its global server coverage, security and privacy protections and above-average connection speeds.
ExpressVPN’s connection speeds are certainly fast enough for World of Warcraft and can also easily handle your other online activities, such as file sharing, video streaming and more.
If you enjoy engaging in competition in other online arenas, such as Minecraft, League of Legends or Final Fantasy, you’ll be glad to know ExpressVPN does a top-notch job of protecting you in those gaming arenas.
Connection reliability is also a plus with this provider, as I have seldom experienced connection issues with ExpressVPN.
Global server coverage is where ExpressVPN really shines. The provider has over 3,000 servers stationed in 94 countries. This opens up access not only to WoW servers that might usually be unavailable to you, but also to other geo-restricted content, such as music and video streams.
ExpressVPN protects their users’ connections with government-grade 256-bit AES encryption, and their Mac and Windows apps include kill switch protection, meaning your activities won’t be laid open to observation if you lose connection to ExpressVPN’s servers.
You’ll also never have to worry about ExpressVPN exposing the history of your online travels, as the service keeps no logs of any kind and also offers a Bitcoin payment option.
The provider also runs all of its servers exclusively from RAM, writing no data whatsoever to a physical hard drive. This means all data is securely wiped from an ExpressVPN server whenever it is rebooted.
Although World of Warcraft is only available on the macOS and Windows platforms, you’ll soon find that a VPN is quite a valuable tool for all of your other online activities.
The provider offers native app support for macOS, Windows, Android, Android TV, iOS, Linux, Chromebook and Amazon Fire devices. It also offers browser extensions for the Edge, Chrome and Firefox platforms.
ExpressVPN allows 5 concurrent connections per account. You can protect all of your connected devices at once by using the provider to secure many makes and models of wireless routers.
- Global server coverage is top-notch
- 256-bit encryption and kill switch connection protection
- Reliably unblocks WoW and other content
- More expensive than other providers on this list
- Only 5 simultaneous connections allowed
EXCELLENT WORLDWIDE COVERAGE:Comprehensive global server coverage, makes this provider stand out. The provider also offers above-average connection speeds and excellent privacy and security protections. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available with this provider.
Read our full review of ExpressVPN.
CyberGhost snagged the #4 spot thanks to its easy-to-use apps, making it an ideal choice for first-time gamers and newbie VPN users.
CyberGhost’s connection speeds are certainly speedy, meaning you can protect your WoW’ing, as well as any other online activities, with little to no fear of seeing a victory-stealing slowdown.
The provider’s reliable connections also mean there’s almost zero chance that you’ll ever lose your connection in the middle of a battle.
Global server coverage from CyberGhost is impressive, as the provider offers over 7,700 servers in more than 90 countries across the globe. This means your global unblocking needs will be well met.
CyberGhost’s VPN connections are encased in military-grade, 256-bit AES encryption and offer kill switch protection to always keep your online diversions safe from discovery.
Privacy is also well-served at CyberGhost, with a strict no-logs policy and acceptance of Bitcoin as a subscription payment option.
You’ll likely want to protect all of your other connected devices, and CyberGhost can help out in that department. Native apps are available for the macOS, Windows, Android, Amazon Fire, iOS and Android TV platforms. Chrome and Firefox extensions protect your web-browsing excursions.
CyberGhost’s apps are easy to use, making them an excellent choice for first-time users.
However, advanced users may miss the advanced features found in other providers’ apps, such as the ability to toggle kill switch protection on and off or to easily select which apps will operate outside of the encrypted VPN tunnel.
Up to 7 concurrent connections are allowed to CyberGhost’s VPN servers per account. If you have a whole LAN party of WoW’ers you want to protect, use the provider’s comprehensive router support to protect them all via a single internet access point.
In addition to quality VPN protection, the provider also offers additional apps and services to help you protect your online security and privacy. A password manager is available. Plus, the company will warn you whenever your email address is exposed in a data breach. Windows users can benefit from the provider’s antivirus and anti-malware protection, as well as other features.
- Easy-to-use apps are perfect for first-timers
- Offers additional services, like antivirus and password manager
- 256-bit, kill switch-protected connections
- Apps includes few power-user options
BEST FOR FIRST-TIMERS:CyberGhost is the best option for users new to both VPNs and World of Warcraft. The service provides fast and well-protected connections. A 45-day money-back guarantee takes the risk out of trying CyberGhost.
Read our full review of CyberGhost.
Private Internet Access (PIA) provides reliable access to World of Warcraft and other online games.
The provider’s global server network of 3,300+ servers is stationed in more than 80 countries. This allows you to enjoy geo-barricaded content like WoW, as well as other geo-controlled games and streaming content from around the world.
While PIA’s connection speeds are certainly not the fastest I’ve ever seen, the provider’s connections reliably deliver more than enough bandwidth for online gaming, streaming, sharing files and other popular online activities. No data caps or bandwidth throttling to be found here.
All PIA-provided connections are protected with government-grade 256-bit AES encryption, IP and DNS leak prevention and a kill switch. Blocking of ads, trackers, malware and malicious sites are also available.
The provider accepts a strict no-logs policy and happily accepts Bitcoin as subscription payment, keeping its customers’ privacy well-protected.
PIA’s native app offerings include options for the Android, iOS, Windows, macOS and Linux device platforms. Opera, Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available, as is compatibility with numerous routers.
Up to 10 devices can be connected simultaneously on a single account.
PIA customer support options include live support chat, a trouble ticket tracking form and a support knowledgebase.
- Reliable access to World of Warcraft
- Comprehensive online security and privacy
- Up to 10 devices can connect concurrently
- Global server network needs to be larger
- Problems working reliably in restrictive countries
RELIABLE VPN FOR WORLD OF WARCRAFT:Private Internet Access provides reliable access to World of Warcraft content, while also providing excellent online security and privacy. If you live in a restrictive country, be sure to check with PIA to determine if the VPN works in your country. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read our full review of Private Internet Access.
PrivateVPN has a reputation for providing fast, reliable and well-protected access to World of Warcraft.
Apps are available for the Android, iOS, macOS and Windows device platforms.
Up to 10 devices at once can be protected on a single account.
Admittedly, 200+ servers in 60 countries adds up to a somewhat limited server network. That said, the provider network offers reliable access to blocked content in the countries where they have servers.
The provider’s connection speeds are easily up to handling online games like WoW, streaming video content, and other online activities, while also never imposing data caps or throttling connections.
Your online travels are kept undercover by the provider’s use of government-grade encryption DNS leak and IPv6 leak protection. A “Stealth VPN” option disguises your VPN traffic, making it appear to be regular browsing usage.
The provider’s strict no-logs policy, along with its Bitcoin payment option, keeps you protected on the privacy end of things.
While the provider claims 24/7 support chat availability, I visited the site at various times of the day, and found that the chat feature was a hit-or-miss proposition. A support request form is always available, as is a non-searchable FAQ section.
- Reliable, if small, global server network
- Fast connections
- Up to six simultaneous connections
- Low server count
- Apps available only for “big four” platforms
STEALTHY WoW PROTECTION:PrivateVPN’s server network, small as it may be, does an excellent job of unblocking content in the areas where it has located its servers. The provider’s “Stealth VPN” mode disguises your VPN traffic as normal browsing traffic, which is handy where the government scans for such online activity. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of PrivateVPN.
Atlas VPN provides fast download speeds and comprehensive online security and privacy.
The provider’s global server count is a bit disappointing, as it has 750+ servers spread among 32 countries. However, the network delivers reliable access to geo-fenced content in the areas of the world that it serves.
Atlas VPN download speeds are some of the fastest around. No data caps and no bandwidth limitations to deal with here.
Banking-grade 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch and numerous other measures keep your online activities undercover. Extra protection is available while surfing the web, including Safebrowse and Safebrowse Plus, which protect you from dangerous areas of the web, while also blocking unwanted ads.
The provider’s no-server-logs-ever policy means there are never logs of your online activities. Users that prefer to pay using cryptocurrency will need to look elsewhere.
Apps for the Android, iOS, macOS, Windows, Android TV and Amazon Fire TV device platforms are available. Linux support is not available, browser extensions and support for routers are also missing, but all are said to be on the way.
There are no limits on the number of devices that you can simultaneously connect on a single account.
Customer support options include a live chat option for subscribers, email, a contact form, and a support library.
- Fast connections
- Top-notch security and privacy
- Blocks unwanted ads
- No browser extensions
- No router or Linux support
- Global server count could be better
UNLIMITED VPN PROTECTION:Atlas VPN delivers reliable access to WoW servers, as well as protection for as many devices as you’d like. The provider’s global server coverage could be better and it lacks Linux and router support. However, overall, it offers a good return on your investment. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Methodology for Assessing VPNs for World Of Warcraft
When considering a VPN service provider for World Of Warcraft (WoW), there are several important factors to consider. You can’t just choose any old VPN to protect and enhance your quests, as not all of them offer the necessary features.
Here are the critical features of VPN providers that I considered, and why they’re important:
- Speed: As you might imagine, fast connections with low latency are critical for online gaming. You definitely don’t want to experience lag while playing any game, especially in games like WoW. I perform connection speed tests on a regular basis, and each VPN on my list offers excellent connection speeds with low ping numbers.
- Server Network: Since World of Warcraft is available in quite a few countries around the globe, you may find yourself connecting to a foreign realm in order to enjoy all the game has to offer. This means that a large global server network is your ally. Plus, having a large number of servers located in each country around the globe ensures that you’ll benefit from improved performance, as no single server will be bogged down with lots of users.
- Value: Asking price versus the features offered by a VPN provider is an important consideration. It’s important to consider the features and functionality of any VPN you’re considering subscribing to and to decide whether or not the VPN’s asking price makes sense for what it offers feature wise. All of the VPNs I place on my lists offer excellent value.
- Ease of Use: Easy-to-use apps make it simpler to connect and start gaming immediately. Also, app support for your preferred gaming platform is another important factor to consider. Each VPN on my list offers comprehensive multi-platform support and easy-to-use apps.
- Security and Privacy: I know you are primarily concerned with World of Warcraft, but you should never forget that a VPN also protects your online security and digital privacy, making it important to consider the protections offered by a VPN. That said, all of the VPNs on my lists offer, at the minimum, banking-level 256-bit AES encryption, an automatic kill switch, and DNS/IP leak protection if not more. Plus, none of the providers keep any server logs related to your online activities.
- Gaming: As a WoW’er, you should also carefully consider whether or not a VPN offers optimal performance for gaming. The VPNs on my list work well with WoW, Minecraft, LoL, Final Fantasy, Steam and for accessing other online gaming servers. VPNs should also work for watching Twitch and unblocking Twitch and removing bans from Fortnite, Runescape, Discord and other games.
My research doesn’t end here. The factors listed above are just a small piece of my comprehensive VPN testing methodology. My data-driven approach helps me better understand the VPN providers, so I can recommend only those that are a good fit for my readers’ needs.
How to Use a VPN to Enhance Your World of Warcraft Sessions
World of Warcraft players who would like to enhance and protect their WoW gaming sessions can do so by following these steps:
- Subscribe to a Virtual Private Network.
- Download the VPN app to your Mac or Windows PC.
- Log into the VPN.
- Select a VPN server located near the WoW server you want to connect to.
- Connect to the WoW server.
- Enjoy your next raid.
Is a Free VPN a Good Option for WoW?
There’s a simple answer to that question: “NO!”
I won’t claim that there isn’t a free VPN service that will allow you to play World of Warcraft. However, I will say that you won’t be satisfied with the experience.
If there is one thing you do not want to deal with while playing a game like World of Warcraft, it’s a less-than-optimal connection. And that’s something that free VPNs are famous for.
Free VPNs are known for placing bandwidth limitations and data caps on their customers’ connections. This slows down the action and shortens the amount of time you can spend online. Does that sound like a good time?
Plus, if you like to get online quickly to start playing, you might be frustrated by how some free VPN providers force their users to sit in a queue for a while, waiting for a server opening to become available.
Once you’re cleared for entry, you’ll also likely find that your server choices are limited to a select few. Limitations abound.
On the internet, if you’re getting a service or product for free, you’ll usually find that you are the real product they’re selling. Or, more specifically, your personal information is the product they’re selling.
“Free” VPNs need some type of income stream to keep the lights on and the servers humming. Free VPN providers may keep track of your online activities and then sell that information to advertisers and other third parties.
Also, some free VPNs will inject unwanted ads and tracking cookies into your browsing sessions.
I strongly advise against using a free VPN to protect your WoW gaming sessions. You’ll only be disappointed, and your privacy will almost definitely be violated.
WoW VPN FAQs
Can I Be Banned From World of Warcraft for Using a VPN?
No, you will not be banned from WoW for using a VPN. I have personally read forum posts from WoW customer support agents saying that while WoW publisher Blizzard can't officially support VPNs, they do not forbid their use.
Will a VPN Increase My WoW Ping Numbers?
The answer to that is a solid "maybe." While using a VPN can increase your ping numbers (also known as lag), it can also reduce them. It all depends on which VPN server you are using. If you select a VPN server a good distance away from a WoW server, your ping can increase. If you're looking to play on a WoW server in another part of the world, you can select a VPN server near the WoW server and it could improve your ping numbers.
Why Should I Use a VPN for WoW?
World of Warcraft isn't available in some areas of the world, a VPN can provide access to WoW arenas in other regions of the globe. Plus, employers and educational institutions frown on using their networks to play games online. A VPN can help you get around those roadblocks.
What Is the Best Free VPN for WoW?
There is no such thing as a "best free" VPN for any type of gaming, WoW included. Free VPNs offer limited server availability, severely throttle their users' connection speeds and limit their data usage via daily or monthly data caps. None of this is exactly conducive to an enjoyable gaming session.
By using a VPN, World of Warcraft players can open access to WoW realms they might not normally have access to. Plus, a VPN protects users from online attacks and tracking by outsiders.
We’ve taken a look at 6 top-notch VPNs in this article, and I’ve shared my assessment of each. At the end of the day, only one provider offers the best options for World of Warcraft.
NordVPN offers the best all-around VPN service for World of Warcraft warriors. The provider offers the fastest connection speeds I’ve ever measured, and it protects you with high-end military-grade 256-bit AES encryption and privacy protections. The provider doesn’t ask for a high price for its excellent service.
For more information or to purchase a subscription, visit the NordVPN website.
- Why is World of Warcraft Blocked?
- Best VPNs for World of Warcraft
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. Private Internet Access
- 6. PrivateVPN
- 7. Atlas VPN
- Methodology for Assessing VPNs for World Of Warcraft
- How to Use a VPN to Enhance Your World of Warcraft Sessions
- Is a Free VPN a Good Option for WoW?
- WoW VPN FAQs
- Can I Be Banned From World of Warcraft for Using a VPN?
- Will a VPN Increase My WoW Ping Numbers?
- Why Should I Use a VPN for WoW?
- What Is the Best Free VPN for WoW?