Comcast is the largest internet provider in the United States, serving its customers under the “Xfinity” brand. The provider serves nearly half of the internet users in the U.S., with 30.3 million users as of January 2019.
While Comcast’s Xfinity may be the largest internet provider in the U.S., they are certainly not the best-loved. Comcast has been known to throttle the connection speeds of users who share files via peer-to-peer file-sharing networks or access streaming services – most famously, Netflix.
The provider has been a driving force behind efforts to combat net neutrality. Unfortunately, the FCC has been receptive to such lobbying, repealing the Open Internet Order put in place by the Obama administration.
Comcast Xfinity also tracks its customers’ online activities, collecting the information and selling it to third parties, such as advertisers and data brokers.
Happily, online users have a tool available to help them avoid Xfinity’s throttling, blocking, and tracking tendencies: a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
A VPN encrypts your traffic, preventing Xfinity or anyone else from monitoring your internet activities. This not only prevents the ISP from tracking your online activities, but it also prevents them from throttling your connection speeds, no matter what online activity you are engaging in.
A VPN also offers the ability to open access to websites, services, and content that you might not normally have access to in your region.
Not only that, but a quality VPN provider will also help protect your privacy by keeping no logs connected to your online travels, ensuring there is no evidence of your activities, no matter what online hobby you might engage in.
Best VPNs for Comcast Xfinity
I put all of my favorite VPN providers through extensive testing, and the results proved that these 6 VPNs worked best for Comcast Xfinity users:
- NordVPN: This provider delivers top-notch unblocking capabilities via its large global server network. Its speedy connections are well-protected by 256-bit AES encryption. The provider offers comprehensive online security and privacy to most popular devices, and all for a reasonable price.
- Surfshark: This fast-growing, budget-priced provider delivers unlimited simultaneous connections that connect to Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and other streaming services. The provider’s “MultiHop” server option offers additional online protection and anonymity.
- ExpressVPN: Delivers fast connection speeds and imposes no bandwidth limitations or data caps. Offers top-notch unblocking power for Netflix and other streaming sites and provides excellent security and privacy protections. A great option for users willing to spend a bit more on a quality VPN.
- CyberGhost: A great option for first-time VPN users thanks to its easy-to-use apps, as well as its streaming- and downloading-optimized server options. The provider’s extensive server coverage and fast connections are also a plus.
- VyprVPN: Good native app support and the provider’s apps are easy to use. Owns and operates its servers, keeping your data away from third parties. Their swift connections aren’t limited by data caps or bandwidth-squeezing.
- PrivateVPN: Excellent option for streaming lovers, with plenty of speed and the ability to unblock Netflix and other streaming services. Good focus on security and privacy protection.
I evaluated and ranked the top Xfinity VPNs by the following criteria:
- Keeps no logs of users’ online activities
- Fast connection speeds
- Unlimited bandwidth with no data caps
- Works well with Netflix and other geo-blocked content
- Allows P2P file-sharing activity
Here’s my list of the top 6 VPNs for use with Xfinity.
NordVPN finished at the top of this list thanks to its speedy connections, top-notch privacy protections, and reliable access to Netflix and other streaming services.
This Panama-based provider’s privacy protections are some of the best in the VPN business, as it keeps no logs of your online activities while connected to its servers and accepts the privacy-protecting Bitcoin as payment.
Connection speeds shouldn’t be a concern for NordVPN users, as the service provided the next-to-top speeds in recent testing, offering connections that are well up to music and video streaming, file sharing, and gaming. Plus, there are no bandwidth limitations or data caps to worry about.
NordVPN’s Netflix access is reliable but is limited to the U.S., Canada, Japan, the U.K., the Netherlands, France, and Italy. U.S. Hulu and Amazon Prime Video streams are also available while using this VPN.
NordVPN has nearly 5,500+ servers stationed in nearly 60 countries at the time of this article, providing good, if not excellent, access to geo-blocked content.
NordVPN allows peer-to-peer file sharing via BitTorrent on hundreds of its servers, so file sharing activities will be kept incognito.
NordVPN likely has all of your connected devices covered, as it provides native apps for all of the most popular device platforms. These include Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Linux, and Android TV. Browser extensions are available to protect your Chrome and Firefox browsing sessions.
All of the apps protect your connection with military-grade 256-bit encryption. Kill switch protection is also available. The provider’s Double VPN option changes your IP address twice for added anonymity, and its CyberSec feature blocks ads and malware.
Up to 6 devices can connect to NordVPN servers at once. If you need more, you can take advantage of the provider’s compatibility with numerous makes and models of routers.
- Speedy connections for streaming, gaming and more
- Comprehensive global server coverage
- Reasonably priced
- Excellent app support
- Strong encryption and privacy protections
- Selecting a specific server city is impossible
BEST FOR COMCAST XFINITY:NordVPN is an excellent option for the VPN user looking for the best protection and enhancement of their Comcast Xfinity connections. The provider delivers speedy connections that are well protected. Plus, their comprehensive app support has your devices covered. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of NordVPN.
My 2nd-place provider is the top provider for budget-minded online users. The provider’s bargain-basement multi-year subscriptions are an excellent way to obtain comprehensive VPN protection while staying under budget.
Ad and tracker blocking, as well as phishing and malware protection, are also available. A MultiHop option allows users to route their internet connection through two VPN servers, providing double protection. Surfshark’s Camouflage Mode hides your VPN connection from Comcast Xfinity.
The provider does a top-notch job of ramming through Comcast Xfinity roadblocks. It also does an excellent job of hiding P2P file sharing and other “unapproved” activities.
The provider’s global server network may not be as impressive as some of its competitors’ networks, but it is steadily improving. A server network of 3,200+ servers located in 65+ countries includes servers stationed in multiple cities in the United States. The network provides reliable access to Netflix, Hulu, and other streaming services.
Privacy isn’t an issue thanks to the provider never saving any users’ logs on their servers, and their acceptance of various forms of cryptocurrency as payment for subscriptions.
If your ISP-provided download speeds can handle streaming, you won’t see any problems when using Surfshark. HD video, online gaming, and file sharing are all handled readily by the provider’s no-data-caps and no-bandwidth-throttling connections.
Surfshark offers native app support for most popular device platforms, including the iOS, Android, Linux, Windows, macOS, and Amazon Fire platforms. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are available, as is extensive router compatibility.
Surfshark’s unlimited concurrent connections allowance provides connection protection and enhancement for an entire family or other large groups of streamers to protect their online activities.
- Servers provide avoidance of Comcast Xfinity roadblocks
- Unlimited concurrent connections
- Comprehensive online security and privacy protection
- Excellent budget multi-year subscription options
- Missing some advanced options in their apps
PERFECT FOR BUDGET-MINDED USERS:If you’re looking for low-cost VPN protection for multiple online users in your family or business, take a closer look at Surfshark. Fast, well-protected connections make this provider a great choice for all online activities. The provider’s multi-year subscription prices make the provider an excellent choice for users on a tight budget. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of Surfshark.
ExpressVPN is an excellent all-around VPN choice for users willing to spend a bit more on quality online protection.
Other VPN providers should really follow this provider’s example when it comes to privacy protections. ExpressVPN keeps no logs of any kind. A Bitcoin payment option means your subscription payment information can be kept anonymous.
Fast connections are the rule with this provider, with speeds that are more than up to streaming video, downloading files, or competing in online gaming arenas. ExpressVPN also has no bandwidth limitations or data caps whatsoever.
With 3,000+ VPN servers in 94 countries, ExpressVPN has most of the world covered, opening up access to geographically blocked content, including shows and movies from Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and other services.
Some VPN providers either don’t allow peer-to-peer file sharing while on their networks or limit the activity to a few select servers. ExpressVPN allows P2P file sharing on all of their servers.
All of the provider’s connections are protected by military-grade encryption, and desktop apps provide kill switch protections.
ExpressVPN provides apps for all of the most popular device platforms, including Windows, Android, Android TV, macOS, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, Chromebook, and others. Extensions are available for the Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browser platforms.
ExpressVPN allows 5 simultaneous connections on a single username. You can protect all of the connected devices in your home or office via your ExpressVPN-compatible router.
- Comprehensive privacy protections
- Excellent for video streaming, gaming, and more
- Wide-ranging global server coverage
- Works well with Netflix and other streaming services
- More expensive than many other providers
- Allows only 5 simultaneous connections
Read my full review of ExpressVPN.
CyberGhost is an easy-to-use VPN provider. Its simple yet powerful apps make it the 4th-best choice for Comcast Xfinity and the best choice for first-time VPN users.
CyberGhost’s privacy protections are industry-standard, keeping no records of any of your activities while connected to their service. Plus, you’ll never have to worry about your payment info being exposed thanks to the Bitcoin payment option.
This provider’s above-average connection speeds and lack of data caps or bandwidth limitations make it a good option for new users who are looking for a way to protect their streaming, gaming, or other web activities.
CyberGhost offers access to geo-restricted Netflix content, but only in the United States and the United Kingdom. Hulu and Amazon Prime geo-blocked streams are also accessible using this provider.
CyberGhost’s global server coverage is massive, tallying in at 6,900+ servers in 89 countries. While this provider does allow P2P file sharing, the activity is only allowed on select servers. Simply select any server in the “For Downloading” list, and you should be good to go.
Keeping your connected devices protected should not be an issue with CyberGhost, as easy-to-use apps for most popular platforms are readily available. Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android are protected, as well as Amazon Fire TV and Android TV devices. Chrome and Firefox users can protect their browsing with extensions.
While CyberGhost allows a generous 7 concurrent connections via a single login, you can expand your device protection even more by making use of the service’s excellent router compatibility.
- Top-notch app compatibility
- First-time VPN users will appreciate the ease of use
- Speedy, streaming-ready connections
- Top-notch security and privacy protections
- P2P activity limited to specific servers
- Struggles to unblock some streaming services
BEST VPN OPTION FOR FIRST-TIMERS:VPN on this list for first-time VPN users. One-click protection makes it easy to encrypt your connection, and the provider’s above-average connection speeds and more-than-adequate app support have you covered. A 45-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of CyberGhost.
VyprVPN took the 5th spot on this list thanks to the dependable, fast connections that the service’s self-owned and -operated servers provide.
This provider keeps no logs of any kind, so no one can connect your online activities to your account. Sadly, there aren’t any anonymous payment options, such as Bitcoin, available to protect your payment info.
VyprVPN delivers connections more than up to your streaming, file transfer, and gaming needs, and you’ll never have to worry about data caps or bandwidth limitations. Streaming video from providers like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon are all available.
VyprVPN has 700+ self-owned and -operated servers located in over 70 countries. Owning and operating their servers means no third parties have access to your personal data and online activities. Plus, they can react more quickly in case there are any problems.
That server count makes it likely that you’ll have no problems in accessing your favorite geo-blocked streaming or gaming materials. All of those servers allow BitTorrent file-sharing activity, so share away!
Native app support is strong with this one, with apps for macOS, Windows, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, Android, and Android TV all making the roll call.
The service is also compatible with DD-WRT, OpenWRT, and ASUSWRT routers, providing more connections than allowed by the provider’s simultaneous connection limit of 5.
- Proprietary servers in 70+ countries
- No data caps or bandwidth limits
- Excellent app and router support
- No browser extensions
- No cryptocurrency payment options
OWNED AND OPERATED SERVERS:VyprVPN owns and operates its servers, adding another protective layer for your personal data and online activities. VyperVPN’s connections are HD-streaming-capable and protected by military-grade encryption. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of VyprVPN.
PrivateVPN made it into this top 6 list thanks to its excellent connection speeds, top-notch privacy protections, and a record of providing reliable unblocking of video streaming services.
PrivateVPN reliably protects your online identity, saving no user logs of any kind and accepting Bitcoin to keep your payment information anonymous.
The provider delivers speedy, well-protected connections, which can deliver reliable download speeds for streaming, gaming, and other connection-intensive online activities. No data caps or bandwidth restrictions are ever imposed.
Geographically-blocked streaming services such as Netflix aren’t out of reach for this provider, as it does a reliable job of ramming through geo-controlled content roadblocks.
While PrivateVPN’s server count is limited to a mere 150+ servers, they are well spread out around the globe, based in 60 countries.
The provider is P2P-file-sharing-friendly, but you’ll want to connect to their servers located in Sweden to get the best performance for your file transfers.
Native app support from this service is limited to the most popular platforms: macOS, iOS, Windows, and Android. Kodi users will enjoy the PrivateVPN add-on, allowing their viewing sessions to be protected.
PrivateVPN offers a somewhat generous 6 simultaneous connections on a single login, so large families (other than the Brady Bunch) should be well covered.
- Great privacy protection
- Connection speeds up to par
- Up to 6 simultaneous connections
- Skimpy server numbers
- Multi-platform support definitely lacking compared to others
GREAT CONNECTION SPEEDS:PrivateVPN delivers great connection speeds on up to 6 devices at once from its limited global server network. The provider’s server count is low, but the country coverage is average for the industry. App support is also somewhat limited. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of PrivateVPN.
Methodology for Assessing a VPN For Comcast Xfinity
Not all VPN providers can provide reliable protection for Comcast Xfinity users. Any VPN that you consider should protect your online activities from prying eyes, while also offering access to geo-blocked content from around the globe.
The factors listed below include the factors that I always consider when I’m deciding on which VPNs works best for Comcast Xfinity customers:
- Security and Privacy: Any VPN provider worth considering should offer comprehensive security and privacy. Banking-grade encryption, an automatic kill switch, and DNS/IP leak protection are a must. Additional security and privacy features are a welcome bonus. VPNs should also follow a strict no-server-logs policy so that there is never any evidence connected to your online travels. NordVPN offers top-notch online security and privacy protections.
- Streaming: Many online users enjoy streaming video and music for their entertainment needs. This makes access to streaming sites an important consideration for VPN usage. NordVPN offers reliable access to Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and other popular streaming services.
- Global Server Network: Any VPN worth considering should offer a large number of servers stationed around the world. A large number of servers being placed in each location is a definite plus, as the more servers that are available, the fewer times any of the servers will be overloaded with too many users at once.
- Speed: Fast connections are an important factor for any online activity. NordVPN delivers some of the fastest download speeds I’ve seen from any provider.
- Value: A provider’s value can be quickly determined by comparing its price of entry to the level of service it offers. I only list VPNs that offer a high value.
- Ease of Use: All of the VPNs I recommend are easy to use. However, some VPNs are easier to use than others. VPNs should also offer native app support for as many device platforms as possible. NordVPN offers easy-to-use apps for popular device platforms.
Check out more information about my VPN testing methodology.
How to Use a VPN With Comcast Xfinity
If you’re searching for a way to improve your Xfinity online experience, do the following:
- Subscribe to the VPN provider that best meets your needs.
- Download and install the VPN app(s) for your device(s).
- Log into the VPN application.
- Select and connect to a VPN server.
- Enjoy your online activities, free of Xfinity’s restrictions.
Is a Free VPN a Good Option for Use With Comcast Xfinity?
While you may be able to get away with using a free VPN provider with your Xfinity internet connection, I’m certain you wouldn’t be satisfied with the experience.
Remember that one of the reasons you want to use a VPN with your Xfinity connection is to avoid throttling and bandwidth limitations. Well, some free VPNs impose similar limitations on their users, limiting both bandwidth and the amount of data you can use while connected to their servers.
Free VPN providers may also place your device in a queue, where you’ll be required to wait until a slot opens up on a server.
Once you’re allowed to connect, your server options could be limited, or you may be automatically connected to a server, with no opportunity to select a particular city or country.
You might be surprised to learn that many “free” providers aren’t really free, they actually cost you dearly, mostly with your privacy. Many “free” VPNs make money by logging your online usage and selling that valuable info to advertisers and other nosy parties.
Other VPNs might even inject tracking cookies and ads into your browsing sessions. Just what you need, eh? More ads in your browser.
Xfinity already collects enough information about your online habits – you don’t need a VPN tracking your antics, too. Right? I believe you should avoid free VPNs like the plague.
Comcast Xfinity FAQs
Does Comcast Router Support VPN?
Not all Comcast routers support VPNs. You may want to update your router's firmware to a type that allows VPN connections, such as
If you're really dedicated, I would suggest looking into getting a NordVPN-enabled router. Pre-configured routers are available on Flashrouters.com.
What is the Best Free VPN for Comcast Xfinity?
There is no such thing as a "best" free VPN for Comcast Xfinity. Free VPNs make money by tracking your online activities, then selling that information to advertisers and other interested parties. Plus, they throttle connections and impose data caps, two things ISPs are also known to do.
Can a VPN Help Me With My Xfinity Comcast Monthly Data Cap?
No. Unfortunately, even when you're connected to a VPN, an ISP can still detect the amount of data that you use. Data is data, even when it is encrypted.
Can I Setup a VPN on My Xfinity Comcast Router?
The Xfinity website says it supports VPN access through your wireless gateway, using numerous security settings. I suggest you contact your VPN provider for more information as to whether the VPN is compatible with Xfinity.
Comcast Xfinity subscribers looking for a way to enhance and protect their internet access would do well to investigate the security and privacy protections that a Virtual Private Network offers, especially one like my #1 VPN for Comcast Xfinity, NordVPN.
For more information or to subscribe, visit the NordVPN website.
- Best VPNs for Comcast Xfinity
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. VyprVPN
- 6. PrivateVPN
- Methodology for Assessing a VPN For Comcast Xfinity
- How to Use a VPN With Comcast Xfinity
- Is a Free VPN a Good Option for Use With Comcast Xfinity?
- Comcast Xfinity FAQs
- Does Comcast Router Support VPN?
- What is the Best Free VPN for Comcast Xfinity?
- Can a VPN Help Me With My Xfinity Comcast Monthly Data Cap?
- Can I Setup a VPN on My Xfinity Comcast Router?