PayPal is arguably the most popular online-payment service around today. Founded in 1998, the service acts as a payments processor for online vendors, auction sites, independent contractors, and others.
Unfortunately, PayPal accounts are a popular target for hackers, making it dangerous to access your account on public wi-fi. Plus, the payments service isn’t available in every country, and if you log in to PayPal from a country other than the one you registered for the service with, you may be blocked.
How can you protect yourself?
Use a VPN With PayPal
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is the most reliable way to protect your PayPal activity from the bad guys, while also allowing you to safely access your PayPal account from outside your home country.
A VPN uses banking-grade encryption to protect your online activities from being monitored by third parties, ensuring that your important personal and business-related information is never monitored or stolen.
As for accessing your PayPal account when outside the borders of your homeland, a VPN assigns your connected device a new, temporary IP address, making it appear as if you are connected from inside another country. This allows PayPal users to select a VPN server in their home country, so PayPal sees them as being at home.
Here’s my guide to the seven best VPNs for PayPal.
Best VPNs for PayPal
I put all of my favorite VPN providers through rigorous testing, and these seven VPNs worked best for reliably accessing PayPal. Here’s a summary:
- NordVPN: #1 VPN choice for PayPal! This VPN service offers top-notch privacy and security protections, and it has plenty of servers located around the world for your international PayPal needs.
- Surfshark: Value priced option for PayPal. This provider’s low prices help keep your money in your PayPal account. Surfshark’s MultiHop feature routes your connection through two VPN servers, adding an extra layer of security.
- ExpressVPN: Premium PayPal VPN protection. This provider offers comprehensive global server coverage, well-protected connections, and top-notch privacy protections. ExpressVPN’s fast connection speeds and excellent app support both add to the provider’s attraction.
- CyberGhost: Excellent PayPal VPN for rookies. This provider’s U.S.-based VPN servers offer excellent access for U.S.-based PayPal users while traveling abroad. CyberGhost’s easy-to-use apps make it a beginner-friendly VPN.
- Private Internet Access: Reliable VPN protection for PayPal. This well-respected VPN delivers comprehensive online protection, protecting your PayPal activity from prying eyes.
- PrivateVPN: Small network, big PayPal protection. While its server network is a bit limited when compared to others on this list, its U.S.-based servers do a great job of unblocking PayPal while abroad. Advanced users will appreciate the provider’s app options.
- Atlas VPN: Improving VPN protection for PayPal. This provider has a rather limited global server network, and doesn’t offer support for Linux, browsers or routers. However, its recent acquisition by NordVPN’s parent company, indicates likely improvements in the near future.
I evaluated and ranked the top PayPal VPNs using the following criteria:
- Reliable connections
- Comprehensive global server network
- Strong online security protections
- Privacy protections include no server logs
- Excellent multi-platform support
- Top-notch customer support
Here’s my list of the top seven VPNs for use with PayPal.
NordVPN delivers fast, reliable and private connections to PayPal and other online financial services. The VPN provides top-notch privacy and security to its customers.
NordVPN offers some super-speedy connections, easily handling anything you can think of throwing at them, including PayPal transactions.
The provider has 5,500+ servers located in 60 countries around the world. Over 1,970 of the servers are located in the U.S. The server network provides reliable access to blocked services around the globe, including PayPal.
Military-grade encryption protects your PayPal and other sensitive online activities, and also protects you from malware, unwanted ads and more. The provider’s “Double VPN” feature encrypts your connection twice. Encrypted encryption, how can it get better than that?
Online privacy is never an issue with NordVPN thanks to a no-logs policy that ensures no records of your online activities are available. Plus, if you use a disposable email address with the provider’s Bitcoin payment option, your payment info is completely incognito.
NordVPN’s owned-and-operated servers keep third-party contractors away from customers’ personal data. Plus, all of the provider’s servers are run solely from volatile RAM, with no data ever being written to a physical hard drive. Since all data is in RAM, it is securely wiped from NordVPN servers whenever they are restarted or shutdown.
The provider’s app support has most of the PayPal-compatible platforms covered, with apps for Windows, iOS, macOS, Android, Android TV and Linux devices. The provider’s macOS apps provide native support for M1/M2 Macs. Chrome, Edge and Firefox browser extensions are also available. Protect all of your other connected devices via a NordVPN-compatible router. Pre-configured routers are available.
Around-the-clock support is the rule at NordVPN, with email support, 24/7 live support chat and searchable support database features all available.
- Reliable and secure connections to PayPal
- Military-grade encryption
- Reasonably priced
- Top-notch privacy protections
- Fast connections for other activities
- Apps aren’t user-friendly
BEST VPN FOR PAYPAL:NordVPN is an excellent option for PayPal users who want to provide extra protection for their PayPal activities. The provider’s reliable connections and excellent security protections will be attractive to everyone. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read my full review of NordVPN.
Surfshark provides reliable, well-protected connections to PayPal and other online financial services thanks to its MultiHop server option that provides double online protection. The provider’s low prices keep more of your money in your PayPal account.
Surfshark’s speeds are incredibly fast – in fact, the fastest of all VPN providers on my list. That’s plenty of speed to enjoy streaming, gaming and file sharing – as well as getting your PayPal activities finished quickly.
The provider’s global server network of 3,200+ servers based in 95 countries should be sufficient for most users’ needs and has PayPal users well covered.
No worries that any of your PayPal transactions will be eavesdropped on or intercepted thanks to Surfshark’s military-grade encryption, kill switch protection, and DNS leak prevention. Plus, it also offers ad and tracker blocking, as well as malware and phishing protection.
A “MultiHop” server option routes your internet connection through two VPN servers, giving your connection a double dose of protection.
A strict no-server-logs-ever policy and a cryptocurrency subscription payment option have things covered on the privacy end of things.
Surfshark has most of the PayPal-compatible platforms covered, with app support for the iOS, Android, Android TV, Linux, macOS (with native Apple Silicon support), Windows and Amazon Fire device platforms. Chrome, Edge and Firefox extensions are available to protect your in-browser payments. The provider also works with numerous router makes and models.
An unlimited simultaneous connections policy means you can connect as many devices to Surfshark VPN servers at once as you’d like.
Surfshark’s support options includes 24/7 support chat, email, a contact form and a searchable support library.
- Provides reliable PayPal access and protection
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Fast, well-encrypted connections
- Low multi-year subscription prices
- Fast-growing global server network
- The single-month subscription fee is a bit high
BUDGET PRICING FOR PAYPAL USERS:Surfshark’s budget-minded pricing should prove to be attractive to businesses and individuals that are looking for a way to save money. The provider’s unlimited simultaneous connections policy allows an entire salesforce to protect their connections while processing payments through PayPal. The provider’s fast, well-protected connections are icing on the cake. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of Surfshark.
ExpressVPN offers flexible protection for use with PayPal thanks to its comprehensive global server coverage and top-notch online security.
This provider delivers some of the most reliable connections I’ve had the pleasure to use since I began testing VPNs. In addition, ExpressVPN’s connection speeds are easily up to all of my other online activities.
ExpressVPN has 3,000+ VPN servers stationed in 94 countries. A large number of those servers are located in the United States, which is arguably PayPal’s largest market.
The provider does a top-notch job of protecting your internet connection from being monitored thanks to its military level of encryption. Plus, kill switch protection, DNS leak protection, and IPv6 leak protection are available in most ExpressVPN apps.
Your privacy is also never an issue thanks to the provider’s no-logs policy. You can also pay for your VPN subscription using Bitcoin, keeping your payment information incognito.
ExpressVPN offers apps for all of the major PayPal-compatible devices, including macOS, iOS, Android, Android TV, Chromebook, Windows, Linux and Amazon Fire devices. Browser extensions are available for Chrome, Edge and Firefox.
The provider’s comprehensive router compatibility will protect all of your connected devices. Up to 5 concurrent connections are allowed per username.
ExpressVPN delivers around-the-clock customer support, with 24/7 support chat, email support, a support ticket tracking system and searchable troubleshooting and support knowledge bases.
- Plenty of servers around the world and in the U.S.
- Excellent customer support
- Top-notch security and privacy protection
- Comprehensive native app support
- More expensive than other many other VPNs
- Doesn’t offer all security options on all platforms
VERSATILE VPN FOR PAYPAL:ExpressVPN is a versatile choice for protecting and enhancing your PayPal sessions. The provider’s reliable connections are available around the globe, with plenty of U.S. servers. Optimal privacy and security keep your payment information undercover. While the provider is priced a bit dear, a 30-day money-back guarantee is available, making it a no-risk proposition.
Read my full review of ExpressVPN.
CyberGhost will be an attractive option for first-time VPN users thanks to their easy-to-use apps that provide reliable and well-protected access to PayPal. The provider’s fast connections offer an excellent way to access online content.
The provider has most of the globe covered, with over 8,000 servers stationed in 91 countries. Nearly 1,300 of those servers are in cities in the United States.
CyberGhost does an optimal job of protecting your PayPal sessions, using banking-grade encryption, kill switch protection, and IPv6 and DNS leak protection. In addition, the provider can block ads and malicious websites, block online tracking, and force websites to serve up HTTPS versions of their pages if available.
CyberGhost protects your online activities after the fact, with a strict no-logs policy and a willingness to accept Bitcoin in return for their substantial services.
The provider recently added a number of new features, including antivirus protection, a password manager, and an app that scans for outdated and/or vulnerable apps. The provider’s “ID Guard” feature alerts you if your email address was exposed in a data breach.
Easy-to-use apps for the Android, Android TV, iOS, macOS, Linux, Windows, and Amazon Fire platforms have most PayPal-compatible devices covered. Chrome and Firefox users can benefit from the provider’s browser support. The provider’s comprehensive router protection covers any other connected devices. Pre-configured routers are available.
The service’s customer support options include live support chat, an easy-to-search support library, and a support ticket submission form.
- Unblocks PayPal around the globe
- Excellent connection protection
- Apps for most popular device platforms
- No logs and accepts Bitcoin
- Apps lack advanced options available from other providers
- Only 7-day money-back guarantee on monthly subs
BEST FOR BEGINNERS:CyberGhost will be an attractive VPN for first-time users looking for an easy-to-use way to protect their PayPal activity. The provider offers servers around the globe, with plenty of those located in the U.S. 45-day, no-risk money-back guarantee.
Read my full review of CyberGhost.
Private Internet Access VPN (PIA) provides comprehensive protection and privacy for your PayPal-related online activities.
The provider’s global server network has 3,300+ servers in 80+ countries around the globe. This provides reliable access to PayPal, as well as geo-fenced content around the globe.
Although this provider’s connection speeds are the slowest on this list, they are easily up to handling your favorite online activities.
All PIA server connections are protected by government-grade encryption, as well as IP/DNS leak prevention, and a kill switch. Ad and tracker blocking, malware protection and malicious site blocking are all available.
No server logs of any kind are to be found on PIA VPN servers. A Bitcoin payment option is available to keep your payment information completely private when a disposable email address is used to sign up.
PIA offers native support for numerous device platforms, including Windows, Linux, macOS, Android and iOS. Browser extensions are available for the Chrome, Firefox and Opera browsers. The provider also supports multiple router makes and models.
This provider has your support needs covered, thanks to a live support chat option, a trouble ticket form, and a searchable support library.
As many as 10 devices can be simultaneously connected on a single set of login credentials.
- Protects PayPal and other online activities
- Comprehensive online protection
- Up to 10 devices can be simultaneously connected
- No streaming or downloading-optimized servers
- Doesn’t work properly in some overly-restrictive areas
WELL-RESPECTED PAYPAL VPN:Private Internet Access provides comprehensive online protection for your PayPal activity, as well as all other online activities. The provider’s global server network provides reliable access to content in most areas of the world. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read our full review of Private Internet Access.
PrivateVPN offers a lower server count than the other VPNs on this list. However, they do have them well-positioned around the globe, providing excellent unblocking ability for PayPal and other online services.
200+ servers will never be mistaken for a large server count in the VPN industry. However, PrivateVPN does have those servers well-placed around the globe, locating them in 63 countries, including the United States.
PrivateVPN delivers excellent connection protection, protecting their customers’ online activities by applying government-grade encryption to their internet connections. Plus, the provider offers auto-reconnect, as well as IPv6 leak and DNS leak protection. StealthVPN makes its users’ VPN activity appear as normal browser traffic.
Those reliable connections aren’t slowed down much by all that protection, as the provider’s download speeds are well up to any of your online activities.
No logs of any kind are kept on PrivateVPN’s servers, ensuring your online activities will never be exposed. Using a throwaway email address with the provider’s Bitcoin payment option will keep your payment information completely anonymous.
While PrivateVPN’s app support is limited to the big 4 device platforms (Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android), it’s also compatible with a number of routers, providing protection for all of your connected devices. No browser support is available. Up to six concurrent connections are allowed on a single account.
Live support chat is a support option, but it lacks 24/7 availability. A “Contact Us” form is also available if the company’s non-searchable FAQ section fails to satisfy your support needs.
- Reliable connections to PayPal and other services
- Up to six concurrent connections
- Excellent security and privacy protections
- Server numbers could definitely stand improvement
- Customer support is not 24/7
PLENTY OF OPTIONS:PrivateVPN is an excellent VPN option for PayPal users who have some experience with VPNs and don’t mind tinkering with the app options on their own. A 30-day money-back guarantee keeps the risk factor to a minimum.
Read my full review of PrivateVPN.
Atlas VPN offers comprehensive online security for PayPal and other online activities.
The provider’s global server network includes 750+ servers located in more than 42 countries.
Atlas VPN’s connection speeds are quite impressive and can easily handle your favorite online activities. No data cap or throttling policies to worry about here.
Banking-level encryption, a kill switch and other security and privacy measures keep PayPal and your other online antics protected from prying eyes. The provider’s “Safebrowse and Safebrowse Plus” features block malicious websites and pesky ads.
A strict no-server-logs-ever policy ensures that there will be no evidence of your online travels. Multiple cryptocurrency payment options keep your payment information private. Sign up with a disposable email address for added anonymity.
Apps are available for the macOS, Windows, Android, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV and iOS device platforms. Linux, router and browser extension support are not available but the provider is working on them.
Users can connect an unlimited number of devices as they’d like at once to the provider’s server network.
Live chat is available for subscribers, while email, a contact form, and a support database are available for all.
- Reliable secured access to PayPal
- Comprehensive security and privacy
- Fast connections
- No Linux support
- No router support
- No browser support
UNLIMITED VPN COVERAGE FOR PAYPAL:Atlas VPN’s reliable online security and privacy helps protect PayPal users. Fast, well-protected connections from an above-average sized server network. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Methodology for Assessing VPNs for PayPal
A VPN service provider is an invaluable tool to use to protect your PayPal sessions. That said, not just any VPN will do. You have to carefully consider many aspects of a VPN service before making your final decision.
Here are the most critical factors for deciding which VPNs are the best for PayPal, which I assessed while choosing VPNs to recommend:
- Connection Speed: When you want to get a lot done on your PayPal account, waiting a long time for money to transfer and for pages to load can be a drag. Consider the connection speeds that a VPN offers. All of the VPNs on my list scored extremely well during my connection speed testing.
- Server Network: If you’re looking to access PayPal from a country other than the one you’re currently in, a wide server network is critical. In addition, check the number of servers a VPN offers in your preferred location. The more VPN servers, the faster the speeds, as no individual server will be overloaded with users.
- Value: Consider the price that a VPN charges for the features and functionality it offers. If they’re not commensurate, don’t choose that service. All of the VPNs I recommend for PayPal provide service offerings that justify their prices.
- Ease of Use: A VPN should simultaneously provide apps for a wide variety of platforms, and those apps should be easy to use. Each VPN on my list offers easy-to-use apps for PayPal-capable devices.
- Security and Privacy: Of the myriad security protections available out there, the most important are banking-level encryption, an automatic kill switch and DNS/IP leak protection, which each VPN on my list offers. In addition, only opt for a VPN that follows a strict no-logs policy, so no third party can access your online activity history.
- Streaming: While PayPal compatibility is the most important factor here, many VPN users appreciate the ability to unlock access to international streaming services. Each VPN I include on my list offers reliable access to popular streaming sites, including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and others.
My research doesn’t end here. In fact, evaluating the factors above are just a small part of my comprehensive VPN testing methodology. This data-driven approach helps me to better understand the VPNs and their services, so I can recommend only those that are a good fit for your needs.
How to Use a VPN With PayPal
If you’re looking for the best way to protect your PayPal sessions and open up access to the payments service no matter where you are, you’ll be glad to know it takes just a few easy steps to accomplish:
- First, subscribe to a VPN. (I recommend NordVPN.)
- Download and install your VPN provider of choice’s app(s) on your favorite device(s).
- Select and connect to a VPN server located in the country you wish to use PayPal in.
- Start counting your money, baby!
Is a Free VPN a Good Option to Use With PayPal?
I am a firm believer that using a “free” VPN is never a good idea. That is especially true when you’re considering its use with an online financial service like PayPal.
Freebie VPNs simply don’t do a good job of providing security and privacy for privacy-intensive online activities like using PayPal!
If you stop to think about it, even a “free” VPN has to make enough money to keep their lights on and servers humming.
So, if they’re not selling the VPN service, what is the product they’re selling?
The product is your personal information.
Many free VPN providers monitor and collect information about their users’ online activities and sell the information to the highest bidder.
Plus, other providers are known to inject unwanted advertisements and tracking cookies into their users’ browsing sessions. And those cookies hang around long after you’ve disconnected from the VPN provider’s network!
In addition to security concerns, keep in mind that you’ll likely want to use a VPN to protect and enhance other online activities.
Unfortunately, sans-fee VPNs are known to throttle their customer’s connection speeds and enforce daily or monthly data caps on their customers’ VPN usage. So, a freebie provider is lousy for streaming, gaming or downloading files.
You also may not have much choice in the location of the servers you’re allowed to use as a free VPN customer. Most freebie VPNs limit the number of servers their users have access to, and in some cases, auto-connect you to a server based on its usage.
So much for picking a U.S.-based server to access your PayPal account!
While it’s true that you already pay more than enough in fees to PayPal each month, it pays to shell out a few more bucks for a reliable, full-featured VPN service.
Paypal VPN FAQs
What Is the Best Free VPN for PayPal?
There's no such thing as a good free VPN, period. Not only do free VPNs impose data caps and bandwidth limitations, but they also track your activities and sell your information to nosy third parties. When it comes to protecting your PayPal activities, free VPNs would be the worst choice.
How Does NordVPN Perform With PayPal?
NordVPN reliably unblocks PayPal from anywhere around the globe. It also offers solid privacy and security protections to make your PayPal activities completely secure. NordVPN is a sound PayPal VPN.
How Do I Use a VPN With PayPal?
In order to use a VPN with PayPal, all you have to do is download your preferred VPN's app(s) onto your device(s). Connect to a VPN server in whichever country you want to use PayPal in. Then, open up PayPal in your browser and perform your activities, safely and privately.
If you’re a PayPal user looking for the best way to ensure your online privacy and to maintain access to your PayPal account, no matter where you’re at, use a VPN service.
A VPN will provide optimal online security via military-grade encryption and other protection features, while opening access to PayPal and other geographically-restricted online services.
NordVPN is my #1 choice for the best VPN service for use with PayPal. The provider delivers comprehensive global server coverage and optimal connection protection. Plus, its excellent multi-platform support ensures all of your PayPal-compatible devices are protected.
For more information or to purchase a subscription, visit the NordVPN website.
- Use a VPN With PayPal
- Best VPNs for PayPal
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. Private Internet Access
- 6. PrivateVPN
- 7. Atlas VPN
- Methodology for Assessing VPNs for PayPal
- How to Use a VPN With PayPal
- Is a Free VPN a Good Option to Use With PayPal?
- Paypal VPN FAQs
- What Is the Best Free VPN for PayPal?
- How Does NordVPN Perform With PayPal?
- How Do I Use a VPN With PayPal?