While the Amazon Fire TV Stick is available in numerous countries around the globe, the content offered on the device varies from region to region. This means movies, television shows, apps, and games that are available in one country may not be available in others.
Will a VPN Help Me on My Amazon Fire Stick?
Fortunately, there is a way around these virtual content blockades. As any VPN user will tell you, a Virtual Private Network (VPN) is the best way to open access to blocked content thanks to a VPN’s location-spoofing abilities.
When a VPN user connects their Amazon Fire TV device to a VPN server, the VPN makes it appear as if the device is located in the same geographical location as the server. This opens access to content designated for that region of the world.
A VPN’s useful features are not limited to geo-spoofing. A VPN can also hide your online activities from the prying eyes of others, protecting you and your valuable personal and business information from hackers and other interested parties.
When considering a VPN for use with your Amazon Fire TV Stick or other Fire TV device, keep the following vital features in mind: native app availability, global server coverage, connection speeds, and security and privacy protections.
Please note that while I will refer to the “Amazon Fire TV Stick” throughout this article, everything I discuss also applies to the rest of the Amazon Fire TV device lineup, except the first-generation Fire TV Stick, which is not compatible with a VPN (more about how to use a first-generation device with a VPN later).
Best VPNs for Amazon Fire TV Stick
I tested all of my favorite VPN providers, and the results indicated that these 7 VPNs worked best with the Amazon Fire TV Stick:
- NordVPN: The best overall VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick. Offers a native app for Amazon Fire TV devices. Military-grade encryption protects their super speedy connections. The provider’s great global server coverage offers the ability to unblock loads of international content. Comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Great VPN for budget-minded users. This provider is a relative newcomer to the VPN industry, but has quickly proven itself with an unlimited concurrent connections policy, fast connections, and top-notch online security and anonymity, all at a low price.
- ExpressVPN: Premium VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick. Provides native app support for Amazon Fire TV devices and has reliable servers covering the globe. The provider’s fast and secure connections are perfect for streaming your favorite shows and movies.
- CyberGhost: Good option for first-time VPN users. This easy-to-use provider offers a native app for the Amazon Fire TV platform. CyberGhost’s apps are easy to use and their pricing is the lowest in this roundup. Its global server coverage is extremely large as well.
- Private Internet Access: Reliable VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick. PIA provides reliable protected access to geo-controlled content for Amazon Fire TV devices. The provider’s Amazon Fire TV app puts little strain on your Fire TV’s system resources.
- PrivateVPN: Small but powerful server network. While this provider has a tiny network when compared to others on this list, it has quickly earned a good reputation for fast, reliable VPN connections.
- Atlas VPN: Unlimited Fire TV connections. You can watch as many streaming services as you’d like on as many Fire TV devices you want. This is because Atlas VPN allows you to simultaneously connect an unlimited number of devices to its servers.
I evaluated and ranked the top Amazon Fire TV Stick VPNs by the following criteria:
- Native Fire TV app support
- Connection speeds
- Global server coverage
- Security and privacy protections
For more detailed information about the criteria I used, make sure you check out the methodology testing section later in this article.
Here’s my list of the top 7 VPNs for use with the Amazon Fire TV Stick:
NordVPN is my #1 pick for best VPN for the Amazon Fire TV Stick. The provider’s astonishingly fast connection speeds, excellent native app support, and more are all offered at a surprisingly low price.
With more than 5,500 servers in nearly 60 countries, this provider can unblock plenty of geo-blocked content.
NordVPN’s connections are some of the fastest I’ve ever seen, which means the HD and 4K streams from Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu and others will begin playing almost immediately and continue to play smoothly.
In addition to an app for the Amazon Fire TV, NordVPN also covers your other devices, including Windows, macOS (With native Apple Silicon support), iOS, Android, Android TV, Linux, and others. The provider also offers browser extensions for the Chrome, Edge, and Firefox platforms.
You can use NordVPN on up to 6 devices at once, and if you need more, you can make use of the provider’s compatibility with a large number of makes and models of routers.
All of the apps protect your connection with 256-bit banking-grade encryption and DNS/IP leak prevention. Many of the apps also offer a kill switch to protect you if your VPN connection goes down.
NordVPN takes care of you in the privacy arena too, happily accepting Bitcoin to protect your subscription payment information and keeping no logs of any of your online travels while connected to their servers.
NordVPN customer support is always available, thanks to the provider’s live chat option, email support, and searchable support library.
- App for Fire TV devices
- Servers in nearly 60 countries around the globe
- Extremely fast connections
- Reasonably priced
- Excellent security and privacy protections
- Apps aren’t exactly user friendly
BEST VPN FOR AMAZON FIRE TV STICK:NordVPN is the best overall VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick. The provider offers Amazon Fire TV Stick compatibility at a low price, leaving you plenty of cash for streaming subscriptions. Extraordinarily fast connections and optimal security protections have you covered. A risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of NordVPN.
Surfshark is the runner-up option thanks to the relatively small amount of money it asks for its native Amazon Fire TV Stick support, unlimited simultaneous connections allowance, and more.
In addition to native app support for the Amazon Fire TV device platform, it also supports the iOS, Android, Linux, Windows, and macOS platforms. Chrome, Edge, and Firefox browser extensions are also available.
Excellent router compatibility means the provider can be used to automatically protect your devices as soon as they connect to your network.
Surfshark’s unlimited simultaneous connections allowance allows your entire family or business organization to stay protected on any of their compatible connected devices.
Depending on your usual connection speeds, Surfshark’s download speeds can easily handle HD and 4K video streaming like that offered by Amazon Fire TV Stick. It can also handle online gaming, and sharing of large files. No bandwidth limits or daily or monthly data caps to worry about here.
A global server count of 3,200+ servers located in roughly 95 countries isn’t the most impressive coverage in the industry, but it is about twice what it boasted at this time last year.
Surfshark protects its users’ connections with banking-grade encryption, a kill switch, and ad-blocking, tracker, malware, and phishing protection. It also hides your VPN usage via its optional Camouflage feature and offers additional protection and anonymity via its MultiHop server mode, which routes your internet traffic through two VPN servers.
The provider keeps no logs of their users’ online activities and accepts various forms of cryptocurrency in return for their services.
- Offers native Amazon Fire TV Stick support
- Bargain-basement pricing
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Top-notch online protection
- Global server coverage is a bit thin
BEST BUDGET OPTION:Surfshark can provide online protection for a theater full of movie fans thanks to its unlimited simultaneous connections policy, and it doesn’t ask a high price to do so. The provider offers native app support, top-notch online security and fast connection speeds. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of Surfshark.
ExpressVPN comes in 3rd thanks to its wide global server coverage, which allows you to access content all over the world.
ExpressVPN has 3,000+ VPN servers, strategically located in approximately 94 countries. Global coverage like that opens up access to plenty of content you normally can’t access.
This provider offers a native app for most Amazon Fire TV devices (first-generation excepted, but more about that later). The app is easy to use and provides reliable connectivity.
It also offers apps for the Android, Android TV, Chromebook, iOS, Linux, and Windows devices. Chrome, Edge, and Firefox browser extensions are available, as is extensive router compatibility.
ExpressVPN provides reliably fast connection speeds and can easily keep up with the 1080p and 4K HDR streams that the Fire TV Stick provides.
Military-grade encryption protects your connection, keeping the online activity on all of your devices undercover and undetected.
Privacy isn’t a worry with ExpressVPN, as the British Virgin Islands-based provider keeps no logs of any kind and accepts Bitcoin as a subscription payment, keeping even your payment information completely incognito.
While ExpressVPN’s simultaneous connection allotment of 5 connections on a single login is a bit below average, the provider’s extensive router compatibility allows users to protect all of their connected devices via a single access point.
- Provides native Amazon Fire TV app
- Global server coverage well above the industry average
- Works well with most streaming services
- Simultaneous connection allotment is low
- More expensive than most
GOOD FOR WORLDWIDE COVERAGE:In addition to full Fire TV compatibility, the provider’s comprehensive global server coverage opens a world of content, and its fast connections can easily keep up with Amazon’s streams. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of ExpressVPN.
CyberGhost made it to the middle of the pack thanks to its ease of use, making it a great choice for first-time VPN users.
The provider delivers speedy connections, making it an excellent option for streaming the content that all of the various Amazon Fire TV apps deliver.
It offers over 8,900 servers in 90+ countries around the globe, making it an excellent option for unblocking international content.
CyberGhost protects its users’ connections with military-grade encryption, keeping all of your online activities in an encrypted tunnel.
In addition to optimal online security, CyberGhost also protects your privacy thanks to its self-imposed no-logs policy and the acceptance of Bitcoin for subscription fees, which helps keep your payment info anonymous.
If you have other connected devices in addition to your Amazon Fire TV Stick (and who has only one these days?), you’ll be glad to know CyberGhost offers support for all of the popular device platforms. Support is available for Android, Android TV, iOS, macOS, Windows, Linux, and other platforms. The provider offers browser extensions for the Chrome and Firefox platforms. Router support is also available.
In addition to quality VPN service, the provider also offers other perks. These include password management, warnings when your email address is included in a data breach, and more. Windows users can benefit from CyberGhost’s antivirus and anti-malware protection.
Plus, up to 7 devices at once can be connected to the CyberGhost servers using the same login. If you need more connections than that, you can also use the service with a large number of router makes and models to protect all of your connected devices.
- Native Fire TV app
- Great for first-time VPN users
- No logs and accepts Bitcoin
- Issues in some heavily-restrictive countries
- Apps lack some advanced options
BEST FOR NOVICE VPN USERS:CyberGhost is the best choice on this list for novice VPN users thanks to its easy-to-use apps. The provider’s one-click protection is a great way to get online quickly. The provider offers a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read my full review of CyberGhost.
5. Private Internet Access
Private Internet Access (PIA) provides reliable VPN service for Amazon TV Fire Stick, as well as other devices.
The provider has 3,300+ servers stationed in more than 80 countries, providing reliable access to geo-controlled content from most locations around the globe.
In addition to Amazon Fire TV support, PIA’s native app support is available for most other popular device platforms, including Android, Android TV, iOS, Windows, macOS, and Linux devices. Chrome, Opera, and Firefox browser extensions are also available, as is compatibility with multiple router makes and models.
Up to 10 Amazon Fire TV Sticks (or other connected devices) can be concurrently connected to PIA servers.
PIA’s connection speeds are certainly not the fastest around, far from it. However, its well-protected connections provide more than enough horsepower for viewing HD and 4K streaming services. It also never spoils the fun by imposing data caps or bandwidth throttling.
The provider keeps its users’ online activities undercover, thanks to its use of government-grade encryption, IP/DNS leak prevention, and kill switch protection. Blocking of ads, trackers, malware, and perilous sites are also available.
PIA servers never save any user logs and the provider also accepts Bitcoin as payment for its services. These two features help protect your usage and payment privacy.
A live chat option, a trouble ticket tracking form, and a searchable support database are there to aid you in your time of need.
- Provides access to numerous streaming platforms
- Comprehensive online security and privacy
- Above-average global server coverage
- No streaming-enhanced servers listed in app
- Issues working in some restrictive areas
RELIABLE VPN FOR AMAZON FIRE TV:Private Internet Access provides reliable, well-protected connections to multiple streaming services. The provider is a great choice to protect and enhance all of your Amazon Fire TV-related activities. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of Private Internet Access.
PrivateVPN delivers fast download speeds, which are more than capable of streaming the 4K video content streamed through an Amazon Fire TV device.
PrivateVPN has a mere 200+ servers located in roughly 63 countries, However, the network does a workman-like job of unblocking geo-fenced content.
The provider protects its speedy connections using military-class encryption, a kill switch, and IP/DNS leak prevention. You can stream to your heart’s content thanks to the provider’s lack of data caps or bandwidth limitations.
PrivateVPN protects its users’ privacy, thanks to its strict no-logs-ever policy and a willingness to accept Bitcoin as payment.
Its app support is limited to the macOS, Windows, Android, and iOS platforms. However, the Android app will install and run on your Amazon Fire TV device. While the provider doesn’t offer browser extensions, it does offer comprehensive router support to help protect your other connected devices.
Up to 10 concurrent connections are allowed on the same username.
24/7 live chat, a “Contact Us” form, and a non-searchable FAQ section make up PrivateVPN’s customer support options.
- Fast connections can handle both HD and 4K content
- Up to 10 devices can be connected at once
- Comprehensive privacy and security protections
- Global server coverage needs expansion
- No browser extensions
GREAT FOR STREAMING:While its global server network could be bigger, PrivateVPN’s excellent connection speeds provide a great Amazon Fire TV Stick streaming experience. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of PrivateVPN.
7. Atlas VPN
Amazon Fire TV users will appreciate Atlas VPN’s fast and well-protected unlimited connections.
The provider’s global server network is certainly one of the smallest on this list, with only 750+ servers spread thinly among 40+ countries. However, that network delivers excellent access to popular streaming services.
Atlas VPN’s connections are fast, ranking in the top 10 during my most recent tests. Your viewing sessions will never be ruined by data caps or bandwidth limitations when using this VPN.
It protects your connections with banking-grade encryption, kill switch protection, IP/DNS leak prevention, and other protective measures. The provider also offers Safebrowse and Safebrowse Plus to keep you safe from online browsing perils, including unwanted ads.
All Atlas VPN servers run free of user logs, so there are no records to be had of your online activities. Unfortunately, users that prefer to pay using cryptocurrency will want to look elsewhere for their VPN services.
Native app support from the provider includes offerings for Amazon Fire TV devices. Also available are apps for Android, iOS, macOS, Windows, and Android TV. While support is not yet available for Linux, browsers, and routers, all three are on the way.
The provider puts no limit on the number of devices that can be simultaneously connected to its servers on a single account.
While live agent chat is available, it is restricted to paying customers. However, email, a contact form, and a support library are available for all users.
- Streaming-ready connections
- Excellent security and privacy protections
- Works well with most streaming services
- Lacks router, browser, and Linux support
- Global server coverage could be better
- Live chat is available only to paying customers
UNLIMITED AMAZON FIRE ACCESS:Atlas VPN provides reliable, unlimited access to numerous streaming services. Reliable connection protection for an unlimited number of devices is available. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read my full review of Atlas VPN.
Methodology for Assessing VPNs for Amazon Fire TV Stick
Users looking for a reliable VPN for your Amazon Fire TV Stick will quickly find that not just any VPN will do an acceptable job.
Here are the critical aspects of VPN services that I considered:
- Connection speed: Streaming HD and 4K video requires a fast, reliable connection. Slow connections can cause long buffering periods, as well as pauses in the middle of the action. My regular connection speed tests provide assurance that each VPN on my lists offers streaming-ready connections.
- Streaming access: Reliable access to geo-controlled streamers is a must for true television and film fans. All of the VPNs on my list offer reliable access to numerous streaming services, including Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and many more.
- Global server network: A VPN’s large global server network can enhance any online activity. That is especially true when it comes to video streaming. Plus, having plenty of servers located in a country helps ensure that a single server in that location won’t be overloaded with too many users.
- Value: A VPN should ask a reasonable asking price. All of the VPNs I include on my lists offer an excellent value for the price.
- Ease of use: Easy to use VPN apps allow you to quickly connect and start watching your favorite shows and films. Make sure a VPN provider offers support for the device, browser, or router you currently use. The VPNs I include on my lists all offer easy-to-use apps for popular devices.
- Security and privacy: A VPN at a minimum should protect your internet connection with banking-level encryption, an automatic kill switch and DNS/IP leak protection. Additional protections and features are a welcome bonus. The providers on my list offer the above, while also protecting your privacy by not saving any server logs related to your online activities.
While this may seem like a long list, my research does not end here, as this is just a snippet of what I consider as a part of my comprehensive VPN testing methodology. This data-driven approach provides a better understanding of these VPNs, allowing me to recommend only VPNs that are a good fit for my readers’ needs.
How to Use an Amazon Fire TV Stick With a VPN
If you’re looking to open up your viewing options while using a VPN with your Amazon Fire TV Stick, all it takes are these simple steps:
- Subscribe to a VPN. I recommend using NordVPN.
- Download the VPN app for your Amazon Fire TV device.
- Log into the VPN app.
- Select a VPN server located nearest to the streaming content you’d like to access.
- Load the streaming app of your choice.
- Settle in for a binging session!
Check out another one of my articles to learn how to set up NordVPN with the Amazon Fire TV Stick.
Is a Free VPN a Good Option For Use With an Amazon Fire TV Stick?
In my humble opinion, a free VPN is not a good option for use with any online activity.
While there are a few free VPN apps available for Amazon Fire TV devices, I’m willing to bet you’re not going to be happy with the “free” experience.
Many free VPN providers place limitations on the usage of their servers. In many cases, they apply bandwidth limitations and usage caps on free accounts. Neither of those things are good news when it comes to binging seasons of your favorite TV series.
You may also find that free users are herded into a virtual corral, where they sit in a queue until they are allowed to connect to a VPN server. Then, the user finds their connection options are limited to a small subset of servers.
It has long been true that if you’re getting something free from an internet service, then you and your personal info are the products being sold. That is especially true when it comes to “free” VPN services.
Many VPN providers that offer service gratis make their money by selling information about their users’ online activities to advertisers and other interested parties.
Some VPNs will even inject unwanted ads and tracking cookies into their users’ browsing sessions.
While you can always try a free VPN, I’d strongly recommend against it. It sucks to get halfway through the second season of Bosch only to find out your data cap has been reached for the month.
Using a VPN With a First-Generation Fire TV Device
As I mentioned above, VPNs do not work with first-generation Fire TV Sticks. While it’s true that you can install a VPN app on the device, it doesn’t have enough horsepower to keep the VPN connection up and running once you’re running another app.
Luckily, you can still protect your Fire TV activities with a VPN.
Use Your VPN With a Router
All of the VPNs on my top 7 list are compatible with numerous makes and models of wireless routers. This allows you to protect all of your connected devices, including your Fire TV device, through one central connection point.
In most cases, using your router requires some manual installation of an app or firmware onto your router. If you’re not comfortable with that process, you can buy a ready-to-go router at FlashRouters.com.
Set Up a VPN-Protected WiFi Hotspot
If you don’t have a VPN-compatible router, or you’re not comfortable with setting it up, you can opt to use your Windows or macOS computer as a VPN-protected WiFi hotspot.
Windows and macOS computers that have both a wired Ethernet connection and a WiFi connection can share their VPN connection. By running your favorite VPN app on your computer and setting up the computer’s WiFi as a hotspot, you can protect your Amazon Fire TV Stick.
Amazon Fire TV Stick FAQs
Can I Use Kodi on An Amazon Fire TV Stick?
Yes, Kodi is compatible with the Amazon Fire TV Stick. However, you will have to jump through a few extra hoops to install it. Luckily, it isn't hard to install, and there are plenty of guides available on the internet showing you how. (You can even find free guides to show you how in Amazon's Kindle book store.)
Why Do I Need to Use a VPN on My Amazon Fire TV Stick?
A VPN provider offers many advantages when used with an Amazon Fire TV Stick. It provides access to streaming service libraries that might normally not be available in your region of the world. It also hides your internet activity from your ISP and other prying eyes, which is handy in case you use Kodi and accidentally stumble upon any copyrighted materials.
Is an Amazon Fire TV Stick Required for Every Television I Own?
If you want to have access to the excellent content made available by the Amazon Fire TV Stick on every TV you own, then yes you will need to install one on each TV. Luckily, Fire TV Sticks are relatively cheap and take only minutes to install.
Amazon Fire TV Stick users will appreciate the benefits of using a VPN with their steaming device. A VPN opens up a world of streaming content, protects outsiders from monitoring your viewing habits, and prevents your ISP from throttling your connection.
I recommend NordVPN as the best VPN for your Amazon Fire TV Stick needs.
- Will a VPN Help Me on My Amazon Fire Stick?
- Best VPNs for Amazon Fire TV Stick
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. Private Internet Access
- 6. PrivateVPN
- 7. Atlas VPN
- Methodology for Assessing VPNs for Amazon Fire TV Stick
- How to Use an Amazon Fire TV Stick With a VPN
- Is a Free VPN a Good Option For Use With an Amazon Fire TV Stick?
- Using a VPN With a First-Generation Fire TV Device
- Amazon Fire TV Stick FAQs
- Can I Use Kodi on An Amazon Fire TV Stick?
- Why Do I Need to Use a VPN on My Amazon Fire TV Stick?
- Is an Amazon Fire TV Stick Required for Every Television I Own?