Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) from game publisher Square Enix. The game takes place in the fantasy land of Eorzea. The game is set five years after the original Final Fantasy XIV game.
The game is available on only five platforms, including Windows, macOS, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5. Game servers are maintained in regions where the game is supported, which are the Americas, Europe and Japan. Access to the game is normally limited to users in those three regions.
How Can I Play Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn From Anywhere?
For some odd reason, employers, as well as schools, have this crazy idea that you should be attending to your assignments, so they block access to games like Final Fantasy.
Luckily for FFXIV fans, there is a tool available to help them get the most out of their favorite online game, opening up access to the game’s geo-restricted servers no matter where they are located. It’s called a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
A VPN also protects your online privacy and provides extra security thanks to its encrypted tunnel of encryption, which hides your online activities from anyone monitoring your internet connection, be it your employer, your ISP, hackers or even your own government.
In this article, we’ll take a close look at the top seven best VPNs for playing Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. I’ll share the most important criteria for choosing a VPN and how well each VPN performs in each category.
Best VPNs for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
After testing my top VPN providers with FFXIV (I know, my job is really tough), the following top seven VPN providers proved to work best to enhance your Final Fantasy XIV experience:
- NordVPN: My #1 choice. This provider’s comprehensive VPN service is a superb option for online players looking for top-notch access to Final Fantasy XIV. The provider offers macOS and Windows apps and also does an excellent job of working with numerous router makes and models.
- Surfshark: Best budget VPN. This provider is the most recent addition to the VPN scene on this list, and it’s quickly making a name for itself. The provider offers fast connections provided by a fast-growing global server network and puts no limits on how many concurrent connections it allows on a single account. Plus, it does all of this for a low price.
- ExpressVPN: This somewhat expensive provider delivers fast gaming connections that can easily handle any online game, FFXIV included. The provider’s comprehensive global server network provides reliable access to content around the globe while protecting all of your other online activities.
- CyberGhost: This provider is the perfect choice for Final Fantasy players who don’t have much experience in using VPNs, or who are just looking for easy one-click online protection for their online activities.
- Private Internet Access: This provider delivers excellent access to gaming content in Final Fantasy XIV, as well as other online games. Fast connections and top-notch connection protections to be found here.
- PrivateVPN: This provider is a reliable VPN provider providing comprehensive VPN protection, albeit through a somewhat limited global server network.
- Atlas VPN: This provider’s fast, secure connections provide online protection and access to blocked content for most device owners.
Note: VPN apps are not available for game consoles like Xbox or Playstation. To use a VPN with game consoles, you need to install the VPN on your router. I include router compatibility information in my reviews.
I ranked the top seven VPNs for Final Fantasy XIV according to the following 5 criteria:
- Connection speeds
- Connection reliability
- Global server network
- Online privacy and security protections
- App and router support
Here’s my list of the seven best gaming VPNs for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.
NordVPN is the top choice in this top seven VPN list thanks to its fast, well-hidden connections, comprehensive server network and app support, all delivered at a reasonable price.
This provider’s connection speeds are the fastest I’ve seen in a while, and they deliver plenty of no-data-cap bandwidth for Final Fantasy XIV, as well as any other of your favorite online games. Streaming fans and file-sharing users will also appreciate the provider’s high speeds.
NordVPN connections are uber reliable, as I have experienced very few issues with the provider’s services.
NordVPN global server locations include over 5,300+ servers located in 59+ countries around the globe. Those servers do an excellent job of unblocking FFXIV, as well as opening up access to streaming services and other gaming providers.
Between the provider’s strict no-server-logs policy and their acceptance of Bitcoin in return for their services, your privacy is well protected.
NordVPN is moving to an owned-and-operated server network model, which keeps third-party contractors away from your data. Plus, all NordVPN servers are run 100% from RAM, with no data whatsoever being written to a physical hard drive. This means that all data is completely wiped from a NordVPN server whenever it is rebooted.
NordVPN provides Windows and macOS (with native M1 Mac support) apps, and the provider’s extensive router features to protect your PlayStation sessions.
Native apps are also available for iOS, Android, Amazon Fire, Linux and Android TV. Chrome, Edge and Firefox browser extensions are also available. Up to 6 maximum devices can connect simultaneously on a single username.
Around-the-clock customer support includes 24/7 support chat, a searchable support library and email support.
- Fast connection speeds
- Low-priced extended subscription options
- Top-notch online security
- Up to six simultaneous connections per account
- Comprehensive global server coverage
- App interface could use some improvement
BEST VPN FOR FINAL FANTASY XIV PLAYERS:NordVPN is the best VPN on this list for Final Fantasy players who are looking for the best VPN protection and enhancement for their gaming sessions. The provider offers fast, no-data-cap connections for most popular device platforms via a wide-ranging global server network. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of NordVPN.
Surfshark is the newest VPN provider on this list, but it has quickly gained a reputation as a reliable up-and-coming VPN service that offers its services at a budget-friendly price.
This provider’s no-data-caps-ever connections deliver all the speed you’ll need to keep up in any online game, Final Fantasy XIV included. Plus, you’ll also appreciate its fast connections when streaming video or downloading large files.
While I haven’t had as much experience in using this provider as I have the others on this list, I can say the provider’s connections have never let me down.
The provider’s global server network continues to grow at a fast clip, as its 3,200+ servers in 65+ countries-strong network shows vast improvement from as little as a year or so ago.
That server network delivers excellent online security protections, including 256-bit AES military-grade encryption, a kill switch, and IPv6/DNS leak protection. Plus, the provider offers a “Multi-Hop” feature that routes your internet connection through two VPN servers, delivering increased encryption and anonymity.
Privacy isn’t an issue when using Surfshark thanks to a privacy-protecting Bitcoin payment option and a solid no-server-logs policy.
Windows and macOS (with M1 support) apps are present and accounted for, as is comprehensive router support. When you’re not exploring Final Fantasy realms, you can protect all of your other devices with the provider’s Android, iOS, Linux and Amazon Fire apps. Chrome, Edge and Firefox browser extensions make it easy to protect all of your browsing sessions.
Surfshark is one of two VPN providers on this top seven list to offer an unlimited concurrent connections allowance. This means you can connect every internet device you own without worrying about bumping up against a connection limit.
Around-the-clock support includes a 24/7 support chat option, a contact form, and a searchable support database.
- “Multi-Hop” protection offers added encryption and anonymity
- Unlimited simultaneous connections allowance
- Budget-priced subscription options
- Fast connections
- Occasional slow server
BEST VPN FOR BUDGET-MINDED PLAYERS:Surfshark is a relative newcomer to the VPN industry, but it has quickly become a viable player. The provider provides plenty of connection speed, a large global server network, and it doesn’t keep track of how many devices you simultaneously connect to the service. It does all of this for a low, low multi-year price. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available for this VPN.
Read my full review of Surfshark.
ExpressVPN takes the 3rd spot in this lineup thanks to its excellent no-data-cap connection speeds and its excellent global server coverage.
The provider’s connection speeds can easily handle any online game you may enjoy, and easily keeps up with the action in Final Fantasy. These fast connections can also handle HD video streaming, file sharing and any of your other favorite online activities. The provider imposes no data caps of any kind on your connection.
From my speed tests, those fast connections are also reliable, as I seldom experience any connection issues when using ExpressVPN.
The provider’s global server coverage is excellent, with 3,000+ servers stationed in 94 countries worldwide. These servers not only open access to FFXIV servers that may be outside of your region, but also unblock other geo-blocked local content, such as streaming services and other gaming servers.
ExpressVPN’s servers all provide connections protected with 256-bit AES military-grade encryption, kill switch protection and a split tunneling feature that allows users to designate which apps will use the provider’s encrypted connection of protection.
ExpressVPN protects your privacy with a strict no-server-logs policy and a cryptocurrency private payment option. ExpressVPN also uses a proprietary “TrustedServer” system which runs all server operations from RAM, with no data written to a hard drive. This means all data is wiped from the server every time it is rebooted.
While Final Fantasy is only available on the macOS, Windows, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 platforms, you’ll soon find that a VPN is a valuable tool for protecting and enhancing your online activities on all of your connected devices.
The provider offers apps for the macOS, Windows, Android, Android TV, iOS, Linux, Chromebook and Amazon Fire devices. It also offers browser extensions for the Chrome, Edge and Firefox platforms.
Extensive router compatibility can be used to protect all of your connected devices (including your PlayStation). Up to 5 maximum devices can connect concurrently using the same set of login credentials.
The provider’s customer support department is available 24/7 to answer questions via live support chat, email support and a trouble ticket system. A searchable support library is also available.
- Excellent connection speeds
- Great app support
- Top-notch online security and privacy
- Reliable access to FFXIV servers
- More expensive than many other VPNs
- Only five concurrent connections
RELIABLE VPN FOR FINAL FANTASY XIV:ExpressVPN is an excellent for reliable VPN protection and enhancement for FFXIV thanks to its excellent global server coverage, fast download speeds, fast response times, and top-notch online security and privacy protections. While the provider is more expensive than many of its competitors, users in search of a premium VPN provider will appreciate its no-risk 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read my full review of ExpressVPN.
Final Fantasy XIV players with little to no experience with VPNs, or who are simply looking for an easy way to protect and enhance their FFXIV gameplay, will appreciate CyberGhost.
CyberGhost’s connection speeds compare well with any provider on this list, meaning they provide plenty of no-data-cap bandwidth for all of your gaming needs. When you’re not gaming, you’ll appreciate its speeds for streaming HD video and sharing files.
The provider’s reliable connections have never dropped while I’m in the heat of battle.
CyberGhost offers some of the best global server coverage in the VPN industry, with 7,700+ servers located in over 90 countries.
All CyberGhost VPN connections are protected using banking-grade encryption, a kill switch and DNS leak added protection. Plus, ad and tracker blocking is available, as is the ability to force websites to provide HTTPS versions of their pages if available.
CyberGhost offers support for all FFXIV-compatible platforms thanks to its macOS and Windows apps and extensive router support. Apps are also available for Android, Android TV, Amazon Fire and Linux platforms. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available. Up to 7 concurrent connections are allowed on a single account.
Customer support is a 24/7 proposition thanks to always-available support chat, a trouble ticket tracking system, and a searchable support library.
In addition to its comprehensive VPN services, CyberGhost also offers other security and privacy-related services. The provider offers a password manager, as well as a service that will alert you when your email address is revealed in a data breach. Windows users can benefit from the VPN’s antivirus and anti-malware protection, as well as multiple other protections.
- Gaming-optimal connection speeds
- Easy-to-use apps
- No server logs and accepts Bitcoin
- Bank-grade encrypted connections
- App offers few power-user options
- Doesn’t work reliably in China or UAE
BEST FOR FIRST-TIME VPN USERS:CyberGhost is an excellent option for first-time VPN users or for those who are looking for reliable one-click VPN protection. The provider’s fast connection speeds make it a top choice for online games such as Final Fantasy XIV. A 45-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of CyberGhost.
Private Internet Access (PIA) provides reliable access to Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.
The provider boasts a global server network of 3,300+ servers stationed in more than 80 countries. This allows you to enjoy the game and other geo-barricaded content like other games and movies from around the globe.
Although PIA’s connections are not the fastest I’ve ever seen by any measure, they reliably deliver more than enough bandwidth for gaming and other popular online activities. The provider never imposes data caps or bandwidth throttling.
Government-grade 256-bit AES encryption, IP and DNS leak prevention, and a kill switch protect your PIA-provided connections. Blocking of ads, trackers, malware and malicious site blocking are also available.
A strict no-logs policy and a willingness to accept Bitcoin as subscription payment, keep your privacy well-protected.
PIA’s native app support offerings include install packages for Android, iOS, Windows, macOS and Linux devices. Opera, Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available, along with compatibility with numerous routers.
Up to 10 devices can be connected at once on a single account.
PIA customer support options include a live support chat offering, trouble ticket form and support/troubleshooting knowledgebase.
- Excellent support for Final Fantasy XIV
- Top-notch security and privacy
- Up to 10 devices can connect at once
- Global server network could be better
- Problems working in overly-restrictive countries
RELIABLE VPN FOR FINAL FANTASY XIV:Private Internet Access provides reliable online protection, as well as granting access to Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn content. The provider’s comprehensive security and privacy protections have all of your online travels covered. Check with PIA to determine if the VPN works in an overly restrictive country. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read our full review of Private Internet Access.
PrivateVPN has quickly gained a reputation for fast, reliable and well-protected connections to Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.
Apps are available for the Android, iOS, macOS and Windows device platforms.
Users can protect up to 10 devices at once using the provider’s 10 concurrent device allowance.
While 200+ servers spread thinly among 60 countries doesn’t quite add up to an impressive server network, the provider does offer reliable access to blocked content where they have servers.
The provider’s connection speeds can easily handle all type of online games and streaming high-definition video content, while also offering plenty of bandwidth for downloading and sharing large files.
Government-grade 256-bit AES encryption DNS leak and IPv6 leak protection prevent your online travels from being exposed. The provider’s “Stealth VPN” protection disguises your VPN activity, making it appear to be regular browsing traffic.
A strict no-logs policy, as well as a Bitcoin payment option, keeps things covered on the privacy end of things.
The provider claims 24/7 support chat availability. However, I visited the site a few times at various times of the day, and found that the feature was a hit-or-miss proposition. A support request form is always available, as is a non-searchable FAQ resource.
- Reliable, if spread thin, global server network
- Fast download speeds
- Up to six concurrent connections
- Low server count
- App support only available for “big 4” platforms
STEALTHY PROTECTION:PrivateVPN may have only a small network. However, it does an excellent job of unblocking content in areas where servers are stationed. “Stealth VPN” mode disguises your VPN traffic as normal browsing traffic. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of PrivateVPN.
Atlas VPN squeaked onto the top seven list this time around, due to its fast download speeds and excellent security and privacy.
The provider’s global server count is a somewhat low 750+ servers spread among 32 countries. While the server network could be larger, it delivers reliable access to geo-fenced content wherever a server is located.
Atlas VPN download speeds are some of the best around. No data caps and no bandwidth limitations means you will not be cut off in the middle of your gaming session.
Banking-grade 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and numerous other protective measures keep your online activities incognito. The provider also offers extra protection while surfing the web, thanks to its proprietary Safebrowse and Safebrowse Plus features that protect you from dangerous areas of the web, while also blocking those pesky ads.
A strict no-server-logs-ever policy means the provider never records or stores any logs of your online activities. Sadly, if you prefer to pay using cryptocurrency, you will need to look elsewhere.
Android, iOS, macOS, Windows, Android TV and Amazon Fire TV devices are all protected by Atlas VPN’s extensive device compatibility. Currently, Linux support is not available, nor are browser extensions, nor is support for routers (all are said to be on the way).
There are no limits on the number of devices that you can simultaneously connect on a single account.
A live chat option for subscribers, email, a contact form, and a support library make up your customer support options. Customer support responded in under an hour to a question I asked in the middle of a business day, via the contact form.
- Fast connections
- Top-notch security and privacy
- Excellent device support
- No browser extensions
- No router or Linux support
- Global server count could be larger
UNLIMITED VPN CONNECTIONS:Atlas VPN delivers reliable protection for as many devices as you’d like to protect. While the provider does have some work to do in the global server area and lacks Linux and router support, it offers a good return on investment. There is a 30-day money-back guarantee available.
My Methodology for Assessing VPNs for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
When considering a VPN for use with Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, you need to keep in mind several important features.
The VPN features listed below are those that I consider when determining the top VPN providers for use with Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn:
- Device Support: The more device platforms provided by a VPN service’s apps, the better. This is particularly important when you’re considering support for devices used to play a particular game, like in this article. All of the VPN providers I included in this article offer native support for Windows and Mac PCs, which are two of the platforms compatible with Final Fantasy XIV. They also offer router support for use with PlayStation 3, 4 and 5.
- Server Network: A provider’s global server network is an important consideration when considering a VPN for any online activity. The larger a global server network is, the more access to content that is located around the globe, such as in-game content that might not be available in your country. The more servers a VPN boasts, the less of a load that is being placed on VPN servers in its network, providing better performance.
- Connection Speed: If you’re using a gaming device, you’ll want fast connection speeds and low ping numbers. Any VPN worth your consideration will never throttle your connection or place data caps on your usage.
- Value: By comparing a VPN’s feature set to the price it charges for its services, you can easily calculate its value for the money. A VPN that charges a high price but doesn’t offer an equally high level of services should be dropped from consideration. All of the providers I recommend offer top value for their asking price.
- Ease of Use: Ease of use is an important consideration for many users, gamers included. The VPNs I recommend offer easy-to-use apps, browser extensions and comprehensive router support.
- Security and Privacy: If you’re looking at a VPN that doesn’t provide comprehensive connection protection, such as government-grade 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch and other online security and privacy protections, drop it from consideration. Award bonus points for additional protective features, such as malware and virus protection and more. Never subscribe to any VPN that doesn’t follow a strict “no-server-logs-ever” policy.
The research does not end here. Evaluating the factors above is just a small part of my data-driven, comprehensive VPN testing methodology, which helps me better understand the services, so I can recommend only those that are a good fit for my readers’ wants and needs.
How to Use a VPN to Enhance Your Final Fantasy XIV Sessions
Final Fantasy XIV players who are looking to enhance and protect their gaming sessions can do so by following these steps:
- Subscribe to a Virtual Private Network. I recommend NordVPN.
- Download the VPN’s app to your Mac or Windows PC.
- Log into the VPN.
- Select a VPN server located near the FFXIV server you want to connect to.
- Connect to the FFXIV server.
- Play that role, baby!
Why Use a VPN to Play Final Fantasy XIV?
You may first think using a VPN to play an online game like Final Fantasy XIV isn’t a good idea, since a VPN’s encryption and routing of your connection through VPN servers can slow your connection a bit and even add to lag. However, there are numerous reasons why you should consider using a VPN when playing online.
First, a VPN can open access to gaming servers you might normally be blocked from. A VPN can temporarily assign your computer or gaming console a new IP address, located in the gaming server’s region of the globe. This allows you to get around geo-blockades.
A new IP address can also help you bypass IP bans. Game publishers can ban a player’s IP address from accessing the game’s servers. If you’ve been unjustly banned, a new IP address can get you back in action.
Sometimes other players will attempt to gain an unfair advantage by using less-than-honorable tactics, like Denial of Service attacks on other players’ IP addresses. A VPN helps protect against that.
Is a Free VPN a Good Option for Final Fantasy XIV?
The answer to that question would be a resounding “NO!”
While you can likely find a free VPN that would allow you to play Final Fantasy XIV, you will quickly find that a free VPN provides a less-than-enjoyable FFXIV experience.
First off, when you attempt to connect to a free VPN provider, you may be forced to wait in a queue with other free VPN users until you’re allowed to connect to a server.
Once you’re given the green light to connect, you will likely then find that you have a limited number of servers to choose from, and that’s if you’re not automatically connected to a server of the provider’s choosing.
Free VPNs are also known for throttling their users’ connection speeds. That’s because they want to preserve their bandwidth for their paying customers. Freebie providers also place daily or monthly data caps on their free customers’ usage. That means you could be disconnected in mid-battle. Not exactly an enjoyable experience, is it?
You should also be concerned about how lacking a free VPN is when it comes to privacy.
Free VPN providers still need to pay salaries and keep the servers turned on. So, many free VPNs will track their users’ online travels, then sell that valuable info to interested third parties, like advertisers.
In some cases, free VPN providers have been discovered to be injecting tracking cookies and unwanted ads into their users’ browser sessions. (Those tracking cookies stick around even when you’re not connected to the provider’s servers.)
All of the above is more than enough reason to avoid free VPNs, don’t you think?
What Else Can a VPN Do For Me?
A VPN is the best way to protect your online activities from prying eyes, and also to enhance your online entertainment experience by providing access to geo-blocked content worldwide.
A VPN protects your online activities by encasing your internet connection in a tunnel of encryption. This prevents nosy third parties like your ISP, the government or hackers from monitoring your online travels.
ISPs look to monitor your online actions so they can collect that information and sell it to advertisers and other parties that are willing to pay for that info. Plus, if an ISP sees that you’re sharing files via peer-to-peer file sharing or are viewing video from “unapproved” streaming services, they’ll throttle or block your connection. A VPN prevents that.
A VPN also protects you from hackers.
When you use an unprotected public WiFi hotspot, like those found at your local coffee shop, your online activities are open to being monitored by hackers. That means they can watch you as you shop or bank online, allowing them to steal your personal and financial information. But they can’t do that if your connection is encrypted with a VPN.
As for enhancing your online experience, a VPN can temporarily assign a new IP address to your connected device, making it appear as if you’re connecting from another region of the world. This fools streaming services like Netflix, or games like Final Fantasy XIV, into thinking you’re in their region, opening their content up to you.
Having said all that, other things will slow down your enjoyment of Final Fantasy XIV.
Making sure your graphics card is up to the frame rate for playing is also critically important. When it comes to your internet connection, that needs to be fast enough. Another important consideration is good ping rates from stable servers. This will help with smooth gameplay and your overall gaming experience.
Final Fantasy XIV players who are looking for optimal protection and enhancement for their online gaming sessions will appreciate the advantages a VPN like NordVPN offers.
NordVPN offers the best all-around VPN service of any of the top VPN providers we’ve taken a look at. The provider’s speedy connections provide optimal performance, while its comprehensive global server network delivers reliable access to Final Fantasy servers.
For more information or to purchase a subscription, visit the NordVPN website.
FAQ for Final Fantasy XIV Gameplay with a VPN
Why Is Low Latency Important For Playing Online Games?
Low latency (or ping) is vital to ensure smoother gameplay and to ensure your gaming experience is enjoyable. This is especially important for fast-moving games where there is plenty happening on-screen. With high ping, opponents can appear or disappear suddenly, making it difficult to compete properly.
How Do I Check My Ping in Final Fantasy XIV?
You cannot check ping in-game. However, you can do it from your Windows desktop.
Here's how to test ping:
- Open up the “run” interface (simultaneously hold the Windows Button and the “R” key.)
- Type in “CMD” – this will open a command prompt window.
- Click on the command prompt window to select it.
- Enter in “PING <IP Address>” at the flashing command prompt – the IP addresses of each FFXIV ARR server are listed below.
- The minimum, maximum and average ping will display in the command prompt window.
Final Fantasy XIV Servers:
- North America Datacentre | square-enix.montreal.com | IP address: 188.8.131.52
- Europe Datacentre | eu.square-enix.com | IP address: 184.108.40.206
- Japan Datacentre | jp.square-enix.com | IP address : 220.127.116.11
Can I Be Banned From Final Fantasy XIV For Using a VPN?
As a rule, players are only banned for cheating or running macro software that gives them some sort of unfair advantage. Since a VPN can actually slow your connection speed and increase ping time, it can hardly be considered to be giving you an unfair advantage.
- How Can I Play Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn From Anywhere?
- Best VPNs for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. Private Internet Access
- 6. PrivateVPN
- 7. Atlas VPN
- My Methodology for Assessing VPNs for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
- How to Use a VPN to Enhance Your Final Fantasy XIV Sessions
- Why Use a VPN to Play Final Fantasy XIV?
- Is a Free VPN a Good Option for Final Fantasy XIV?
- What Else Can a VPN Do For Me?
- FAQ for Final Fantasy XIV Gameplay with a VPN
- Why Is Low Latency Important For Playing Online Games?
- How Do I Check My Ping in Final Fantasy XIV?
- Can I Be Banned From Final Fantasy XIV For Using a VPN?