Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) from game publisher Square Enix. The game takes place in the fantasy land of Eorzea. The game is set five years after the original Final Fantasy XIV game.
The game is available on only four platforms, including Windows, macOS, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 5. Game servers are maintained in regions where the game is supported, which are the Americas, Europe, and Japan. Access to the game is normally limited to users in those three regions.
Plus, for some odd reason, employers, as well as schools, have this crazy idea that you should be attending to your assignments, so they block access to games like Final Fantasy.
Luckily for FFXIV fans, there is a tool available to help them get the most out of their favorite online game, opening up access to the game’s geo-restricted servers no matter where they’re located. It’s called a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
A VPN also protects your online privacy and provides extra security thanks to its encrypted tunnel of encryption, which hides your online activities from anyone monitoring your internet connection, be it your employer, your ISP, hackers, or even your own government.
In this article, we’ll take a close look at the top 5 best VPNs for playing Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. I’ll share the most important criteria for choosing a VPN and how well each VPN performs in each category.
Best VPNs for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
After testing my top VPN providers with FFXIV (I know, my job is really tough), the following top 5 VPN providers proved to work best to enhance your Final Fantasy XIV experience:
- NordVPN: My #1 choice. This provider’s comprehensive VPN service is a superb option for online players looking for top-notch access to Final Fantasy XIV. The provider offers macOS and Windows apps and also does an excellent job of working with numerous router makes and models.
- Surfshark: Best budget VPN. This provider is the most recent addition to the VPN scene on this list, and it’s quickly making a name for itself. The provider offers fast connections provided by a fast-growing global server network and puts no limits on how many concurrent connections it allows on a single account. Plus, it does all of this for a low price.
- ExpressVPN: This somewhat expensive provider delivers fast gaming connections that can easily handle any online game, FFXIV included. The provider’s comprehensive global server network provides reliable access to content around the globe while protecting all of your other online activities.
- CyberGhost: This provider is the perfect choice for Final Fantasy players who don’t have much experience in using VPNs, or who are just looking for easy one-click online protection for their online activities.
- IPVanish: This provider offers a VPN service that compares fairly well to any other provider on this list, then goes an extra step in protecting your privacy with its proprietary global server network.
Note: VPN apps are not available for game consoles like Xbox or Playstation. To use a VPN with game consoles, you need to install the VPN on your router. I include router compatibility information in my reviews.
I ranked the top 5 VPNs for Final Fantasy XIV according to the following 5 criteria:
- Connection speeds
- Connection reliability
- Global server network
- Online privacy and security protections
- App and router support
Here’s my list of the 5 best gaming VPNs for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.
NordVPN is the top choice in this top 5 VPN list thanks to its fast, well-hidden connections, comprehensive server network and app support, all delivered at a reasonable price.
This provider’s connection speeds are the fastest I’ve seen in a while, and they deliver plenty of no-data-cap bandwidth for Final Fantasy XIV, as well as any other of your favorite online games. Streaming fans and file-sharing users will also appreciate the provider’s high speeds.
NordVPN connections are uber reliable, as I have experienced very few issues with the provider’s services.
NordVPN global server locations include over 5,500+ servers located in 59+ countries around the globe. Those servers do an excellent job of unblocking FFXIV, as well as opening up access to streaming services and other gaming providers.
Between the provider’s strict no-server-logs policy and their acceptance of Bitcoin in return for their services, your privacy is well protected.
NordVPN provides Windows and macOS apps, and the provider’s extensive router features to protect your PlayStation sessions.
Native apps are also available for iOS, Android, Amazon Fire, Linux, and Android TV. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available. Up to 6 maximum devices can connect simultaneously on a single username.
Around-the-clock customer support includes 24/7 support chat, a searchable support library and email support.
- Fast connection speeds
- Low-priced extended subscription options
- Top-notch online security
- Up to 6 simultaneous connections per account
- Comprehensive global server coverage
- App interface could use some improvement
BEST VPN FOR FINAL FANTASY XIV PLAYERS:NordVPN is the best VPN on this list for Final Fantasy players who are looking for the best VPN protection and enhancement for their gaming sessions. The provider offers fast, no-data-cap connections for most popular device platforms via a wide-ranging global server network. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of NordVPN.
Surfshark is the newest VPN provider on this list, but it has quickly gained a reputation as a reliable up-and-coming VPN service that offers its services at a budget-friendly price.
This provider’s no-data-caps-ever connections deliver all the speed you’ll need to keep up in any online game, Final Fantasy XIV included. Plus, you’ll also appreciate its fast connections when streaming video or downloading large files.
While I haven’t had as much experience in using this provider as I have the others on this list, I can say the provider’s connections have never let me down.
The provider’s global server network continues to grow at a fast clip, as its 3,200+ servers in 65+ countries-strong network shows vast improvement from as little as a year or so ago.
That server network delivers excellent online security protections, including military-grade encryption, a kill switch, and IPv6/DNS leak protection. Plus, the provider offers a “Multi-Hop” feature that routes your internet connection through two VPN servers, delivering increased encryption and anonymity.
Privacy isn’t an issue when using Surfshark thanks to a privacy-protecting Bitcoin payment option and a solid no-server-logs policy.
Windows and macOS apps are present and accounted for, as is comprehensive router support. When you’re not exploring Final Fantasy realms, you can protect all of your other devices with the provider’s Android, iOS, Linux and Amazon Fire apps. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions make it easy to protect all of your browsing sessions.
Surfshark is one of two VPN providers on this top 5 list to offer an unlimited concurrent connections allowance. This means you can connect every internet device you own without worrying about bumping up against a connection limit.
Around-the-clock support includes a 24/7 support chat option, a contact form, and a searchable support database.
- “Multi-Hop” protection offers added encryption and anonymity
- Unlimited simultaneous connections allowance
- Budget-priced subscription options
- Fast connections
- Occasional slow server
BEST VPN FOR BUDGET-MINDED PLAYERS:Surfshark is a relative newcomer to the VPN industry, but it has quickly become a viable player. The provider provides plenty of connection speed, a large global server network, and it doesn’t keep track of how many devices you simultaneously connect to the service. It does all of this for a low, low multi-year price. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of Surfshark.
ExpressVPN takes the 3rd spot in this lineup thanks to its excellent no-data-cap connection speeds and its excellent global server coverage.
The provider’s connection speeds can easily handle any online game you may enjoy, and easily keeps up with the action in Final Fantasy. These fast connections can also handle HD video streaming, file sharing, and any of your other favorite online activities. The provider imposes no data caps of any kind on your connection.
From my speed tests, those fast connections are also reliable, as I seldom experience any connection issues when using ExpressVPN.
The provider’s global server coverage is excellent, with 3,000+ servers stationed in 94 countries worldwide. These servers not only open access to FFXIV servers that may be outside of your region but also unblock other geo-blocked local content, such as streaming services and other gaming servers.
ExpressVPN’s servers all provide connections protected with military-grade encryption, kill switch protection, and a split tunneling feature that allows users to designate which apps will use the provider’s encrypted connection of protection.
ExpressVPN protects your privacy with a strict no-server-logs policy and a cryptocurrency private payment option. ExpressVPN also uses a proprietary “TrustedServer” system which runs all server operations from RAM, with no data written to a hard drive. This means all data is wiped from the server every time it is rebooted.
While Final Fantasy is only available on the macOS, Windows, and PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 platforms, you’ll soon find that a VPN is a valuable tool for protecting and enhancing your online activities on all of your connected devices.
The provider offers apps for the macOS, Windows, Android, Android TV, iOS, Linux, Chromebook and Amazon Fire devices. It also offers browser extensions for the Chrome, Edge and Firefox platforms.
Extensive router compatibility can be used to protect all of your connected devices (including your PlayStation). Up to 5 maximum devices can connect concurrently using the same set of login credentials.
The provider’s customer support department is available 24/7 to answer questions via live support chat, email support and a trouble ticket system. A searchable support library is also available.
- Excellent connection speeds
- Great app support
- Top-notch online security and privacy
- Reliable access to FFXIV servers
- More expensive than many other VPNs
- Only 5 concurrent connections
RELIABLE VPN FOR FINAL FANTASY XIV:ExpressVPN is an excellent for reliable VPN protection and enhancement for FFXIV thanks to its excellent global server coverage, fast download speeds, fast response times, and top-notch online security and privacy protections. While the provider is more expensive than many of its competitors, users in search of a premium VPN provider will appreciate its no-risk 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of ExpressVPN.
Final Fantasy XIV players with little to no experience with VPNs, or who are simply looking for an easy way to protect and enhance their FFXIV gameplay, will appreciate CyberGhost.
CyberGhost’s connection speeds compare well with any provider on this list, meaning they provide plenty of no-data-cap bandwidth for all of your gaming needs. When you’re not gaming, you’ll appreciate its speeds for streaming HD video and sharing files.
The provider’s reliable connections have never dropped while I’m in the heat of battle.
CyberGhost offers some of the best global server coverage in the VPN industry, with 6,900+ servers located in over 88 countries.
All CyberGhost VPN connections are protected using banking-grade encryption, a kill switch and DNS leak added protection. Plus, ad and tracker blocking is available, as is the ability to force websites to provide HTTPS versions of their pages if available.
CyberGhost offers support for all FFXIV-compatible platforms thanks to its macOS and Windows apps and extensive router support. Apps are also available for Android, Android TV, Amazon Fire, and Linux platforms. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available. Up to 7 concurrent connections are allowed on a single account.
Customer support is a 24/7 proposition thanks to always-available support chat, a trouble ticket tracking system, and a searchable support library.
- Gaming-optimal connection speeds
- Easy-to-use apps
- No server logs and accepts Bitcoin
- Bank-grade encrypted connections
- App offers few power-user options
- Doesn’t work reliably in China or UAE
BEST FOR FIRST-TIME VPN USERS:CyberGhost is an excellent option for first-time VPN users or for those who are looking for reliable one-click VPN protection. The provider’s fast connection speeds make it a top choice for online games such as Final Fantasy XIV. A 45-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of CyberGhost.
IPVanish’s self-owned and -operated global server network not only offers comprehensive access to content around the globe, it also provides an additional layer of privacy.
The provider’s connection speeds offer lag-free access to Final Fantasy XIV servers, along with providing more than enough no-data-caps bandwidth for any other online activity.
IPVanish has never let me down in the heat of battle, always providing reliable connections.
IPVanish’s global server coverage is average at best, with 1,600+ servers spread among 54+ countries worldwide. However, all of those servers are totally owned and operated by the provider, removing third-party contractors from the equation and keeping them away from your personal data.
The provider’s connection protection is made up of government-level encryption, a kill switch, and DNS/IPv6 leak protection. An obfuscation feature hides your VPN traffic by masking it as normal browser traffic.
No server logs means your past online activities will not be exposed. Unfortunately, you’ll have to pin your payment privacy hopes on the protections offered by PayPal or your credit card company, as the provider doesn’t offer a private cryptocurrency payment option.
IPVanish not only protects your FFXIV activities on your Mac and Windows machines via native app support, but also has you covered on your PlayStation 3 and 4, thanks to its comprehensive router features.
Plus, the provider offers apps for the Android, iOS, Amazon Fire, Chromebook, and Linux platforms. Unfortunately, no browser extensions are available at this time. A quite generous unlimited simultaneous connection allowance means everyone and every device can connect at once.
Customer support is always available, with 24/7 support chat, a searchable support library and email support.
- Owned and operated server farms
- Can disguise VPN traffic as normal traffic
- Unlimited simultaneous connection allowance
- No browser extensions
- No cryptocurrency payment option
EXTRA LEVEL OF PRIVACY:IPVanish delivers well-protected, speedy connections, delivering plenty of bandwidth for online play. Plus, the provider’s self-owned and -operated global server network provides additional privacy protections, while its obfuscation feature makes your VPN traffic look like regular activity. Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read my full review of IPVanish.
My Methodology for Assessing VPNs for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
When considering a VPN for use with Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, you need to keep in mind several important features.
The VPN features listed below are those that I consider when determining the top VPN providers for use with Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn:
- Device Support: The more device platforms provided by a VPN service’s apps, the better. This is particularly important when you’re considering support for devices used to play a particular game, like in this article. All of the VPN providers I included in this article offer native support for Windows and Mac PCs, which are two of the platforms compatible with Final Fantasy XIV. They also offer router support for use with PlayStation 3, 4, and 5.
- Server Network: A provider’s global server network is an important consideration when considering a VPN for any online activity. The larger a global server network is, the more access to content that is located around the globe, such as in-game content that might not be available in your country. The more servers a VPN boasts, the less of a load that is being placed on VPN servers in its network, providing better performance.
- Connection Speed: If you’re using a gaming device, you’ll want fast connection speeds and low ping numbers. Any VPN worth your consideration will never throttle your connection or place data caps on your usage.
- Value: By comparing a VPN’s feature set to the price it charges for its services, you can easily calculate its value for the money. A VPN that charges a high price but doesn’t offer an equally high level of services should be dropped from consideration. All of the providers I recommend offer top value for their asking price.
- Ease of Use: Ease of use is an important consideration for many users, gamers included. The VPNs I recommend offer easy-to-use apps, browser extensions, and comprehensive router support.
- Security and Privacy: If you’re looking at a VPN that doesn’t provide comprehensive connection protection, such as government-grade encryption, a kill switch, and other online security and privacy protections, drop it from consideration. Award bonus points for additional protective features, such as malware and virus protection, and more. Never subscribe to any VPN that doesn’t follow a strict “no-server-logs-ever” policy.
Check out more information about my VPN testing methodology.
How to Use a VPN to Enhance Your Final Fantasy XIV Sessions
Final Fantasy XIV players who are looking to enhance and protect their gaming sessions can do so by following these steps:
- Subscribe to a Virtual Private Network. I recommend NordVPN.
- Download the VPN’s app to your Mac or Windows PC.
- Log into the VPN.
- Select a VPN server located near the FFXIV server you want to connect to.
- Connect to the FFXIV server.
- Play that role, baby!
Why Use a VPN to Play Final Fantasy XIV?
You may first think using a VPN to play an online game like Final Fantasy XIV isn’t a good idea, since a VPN’s encryption and routing of your connection through VPN servers can slow your connection a bit and even add to lag. However, there are numerous reasons why you should consider using a VPN when playing online.
First, a VPN can open access to gaming servers you might normally be blocked from. A VPN can temporarily assign your computer or gaming console a new IP address, located in the gaming server’s region of the globe. This allows you to get around geo-blockades.
A new IP address can also help you bypass IP bans. Game publishers can ban a player’s IP address from accessing the game’s servers. If you’ve been unjustly banned, a new IP address can get you back in action.
Sometimes other players will attempt to gain an unfair advantage by using less-than-honorable tactics, like Denial of Service attacks on other players’ IP addresses. A VPN helps protect against that.
Is a Free VPN a Good Option for Final Fantasy XIV?
The answer to that question would be a resounding “NO!”
While you can likely find a free VPN that would allow you to play Final Fantasy XIV, you will quickly find that a free VPN provides a less-than-enjoyable FFXIV experience.
First off, when you attempt to connect to a free VPN provider, you may be forced to wait in a queue with other free VPN users until you’re allowed to connect to a server.
Once you’re given the green light to connect, you will likely then find that you have a limited number of servers to choose from, and that’s if you’re not automatically connected to a server of the provider’s choosing.
Free VPNs are also known for throttling their users’ connection speeds. That’s because they want to preserve their bandwidth for their paying customers. Freebie providers also place daily or monthly data caps on their free customers’ usage. That means you could be disconnected in mid-battle. Not exactly an enjoyable experience, is it?
You should also be concerned about how lacking a free VPN is when it comes to privacy.
Free VPN providers still need to pay salaries and keep the servers turned on. So, many free VPNs will track their users’ online travels, then sell that valuable info to interested third parties, like advertisers.
In some cases, free VPN providers have been discovered to be injecting tracking cookies and unwanted ads into their users’ browser sessions. (Those tracking cookies stick around even when you’re not connected to the provider’s servers.)
All of the above is more than enough reason to avoid free VPNs, don’t you think?
What Else Can a VPN Do For Me?
A VPN is the best way to protect your online activities from prying eyes, and also to enhance your online entertainment experience by providing access to geo-blocked content worldwide.
A VPN protects your online activities by encasing your internet connection in a tunnel of encryption. This prevents nosy third parties like your ISP, the government, or hackers from monitoring your online travels.
ISPs look to monitor your online actions so they can collect that information and sell it to advertisers and other parties that are willing to pay for that info. Plus, if an ISP sees that you’re sharing files via peer-to-peer file sharing or are viewing video from “unapproved” streaming services, they’ll throttle or block your connection. A VPN prevents that.
A VPN also protects you from hackers.
When you use an unprotected public WiFi hotspot, like those found at your local coffee shop, your online activities are open to being monitored by hackers. That means they can watch you as you shop or bank online, allowing them to steal your personal and financial information. But they can’t do that if your connection is encrypted with a VPN.
As for enhancing your online experience, a VPN can temporarily assign a new IP address to your connected device, making it appear as if you’re connecting from another region of the world. This fools streaming services like Netflix, or games like Final Fantasy XIV, into thinking you’re in their region, opening their content up to you.
Having said all that, other things will slow down your enjoyment of Final Fantasy XIV.
Making sure your graphics card is up to the frame rate for playing is also critically important. When it comes to your internet connection, that needs to be fast enough. Another important consideration is good ping rates from stable servers. This will help with smooth gameplay and your overall gaming experience.
Final Fantasy XIV players who are looking for optimal protection and enhancement for their online gaming sessions will appreciate the advantages a VPN like NordVPN offers.
NordVPN offers the best all-around VPN service of any of the top VPN providers we’ve taken a look at. The provider’s speedy connections provide optimal performance, while its comprehensive global server network delivers reliable access to Final Fantasy servers.
For more information or to purchase a subscription, visit the NordVPN website.
FAQ for Final Fantasy Gameplay with a VPN
Why Is Low Latency Important For Playing Online Games?
Low latency (or ping) is vital to ensure smoother gameplay and to ensure your gaming experience is enjoyable. This is especially important for fast-moving games where there is plenty happening on-screen. With high ping, opponents can appear or disappear suddenly, making it difficult to compete properly.
How Do I Check My Ping in Final Fantasy 14?
You cannot check ping in-game. However, you can do it from your Windows desktop.
Here's how to test ping:
- Open up the “run” interface (simultaneously hold the Windows Button and the “R” key.)
- Type in “CMD” – this will open a command prompt window.
- Click on the command prompt window to select it.
- Enter in “PING <IP Address>” at the flashing command prompt – the IP addresses of each FFXIV ARR server are listed below.
- The minimum, maximum and average ping will display in the command prompt window.
Final Fantasy XIV Servers:
- North America Datacentre | square-enix.montreal.com | IP address: 220.127.116.11
- Europe Datacentre | eu.square-enix.com | IP address: 18.104.22.168
- Japan Datacentre | jp.square-enix.com | IP address : 22.214.171.124
Can I Be Banned From Final Fantasy XIV For Using a VPN?
As a rule, players are only banned for cheating or running macro software that gives them some sort of unfair advantage. Since a VPN can actually slow your connection speed and increase ping time, it can hardly be considered to be giving you an unfair advantage.
- Best VPNs for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. IPVanish
- My Methodology for Assessing VPNs for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
- How to Use a VPN to Enhance Your Final Fantasy XIV Sessions
- Why Use a VPN to Play Final Fantasy XIV?
- Is a Free VPN a Good Option for Final Fantasy XIV?
- What Else Can a VPN Do For Me?
- FAQ for Final Fantasy Gameplay with a VPN
- Why Is Low Latency Important For Playing Online Games?
- How Do I Check My Ping in Final Fantasy 14?
- Can I Be Banned From Final Fantasy XIV For Using a VPN?