A Chromebook is a laptop that runs Google’s Linux-based Chrome OS as its operating system. The device uses the Google Chrome browser to perform laptop-like tasks, including word processing, web browsing and much more.
As a Chromebook user, you’re susceptible to the same online perils as are users of other devices. Perhaps more so, as many activities performed on a Chromebook either require an internet connection or offer an enhanced experience when connected to the internet.
This means that you could be subject to online phishing attempts, man-in-the-middle attacks, online monitoring and more.
Thankfully, there is a way to protect your online activities while using your Chromebook: a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
A Virtual Private Network protects your online activities from prying eyes by encrypting your internet connection, making it impossible for outside observers to monitor your online travels or steal your personal information.
A VPN can also aid you in accessing content you might not usually have access to, such as geo-blocked content from streaming services, websites and other services.
In this article, I review the top 5 best VPNs for use with Chromebook.
How to Use Your VPN With a Chromebook
Protecting your Chromebook with a VPN requires a few simple steps:
- Subscribe to a VPN.
- Install either the Chrome browser extension, to protect your browsing sessions, or the Android app, to protect all of the activities on your device.
- Log into the VPN.
- Select a VPN server and connect.
- Enjoy your protected online activities on your Chromebook.
Best VPNs for Chromebook
After putting my top VPN providers through exhaustive rounds of testing, I found that these 5 VPNs performed best with Chromebook devices. If you’re in a hurry, here’s a summary:
- NordVPN: Fast, well-encrypted connections and optimal privacy and security measures are the rule here. This #1 provider delivers fast connections from a comprehensive global server network.
- Surfshark: The budget-priced option on this list, Surfshark doesn’t cut corners on its fast-growing global server network, its privacy and security protections, or its unlimited simultaneous connections policy, all for a bargain basement price.
- ExpressVPN: The service’s global server coverage, privacy protections and security offerings all add up to reliable VPN protection. Their connection speeds are nothing to sneeze at, either.
- CyberGhost: This provider delivers a high level of service via easy-to-use apps. Fast speeds and reliable protection are a must for an internet-centric device like the Chromebook, and CyberGhost delivers.
- IPVanish: In addition to competitive connection speeds, global server coverage and privacy and security protections, IPVanish steps it up a notch with their self-owned and -operated server farms. Also allows unlimited concurrent connections.
Note: While VPN providers don’t offer native Chromebook apps, they do provide Android apps, which are compatible with the latest version of Chrome OS, the Chromebook’s operating system.
Many also offer Chrome browser extensions. Manually configuring a VPN connection on a Chromebook is also possible.
I evaluated and ranked the top Chromebook VPNs using the following criteria:
- Availability of Android app or Chrome browser extension
- Global server coverage
- Connection speeds
- Customer support offerings
- Privacy and security protections
Here’s my list of the top 5 VPNs for use with your Chromebook.
NordVPN snags the top spot in this 5-way horse race thanks to its excellent connection speeds and high level of service in most categories.
This provider offers both an Android app and a Chrome browser extension. However, it lacks a manual setup option.
With over 5,400 servers located in nearly 60 countries, this provider’s global server coverage is good enough to offer most users access to their favorite content.
Connection speeds are not an issue with NordVPN, as the provider’s speeds are the fastest on this list. Its reliable connections will keep the content flowing smoothly to your Chromebook. Plus, you never have to worry about the VPN service restricting you with data caps or bandwidth limitations.
Although NordVPN is a reliable VPN service, it’s good to know that you’ll have plenty of support if you need it. The provider offers 24/7 live support chat, email support, and a searchable knowledge base.
Privacy and security protections are well covered when you’re connected to NordVPN. Your online security is protected by the provider’s well-encrypted connections. Meanwhile, your privacy will stay intact thanks to NordVPN’s no-logs policy and Bitcoin subscription payment option.
While the provider allows a generous 6 simultaneous connections on a single login, users requiring more connections can access the service via NordVPN-compatible routers.
- 5,400+ servers in nearly 60 countries
- Android app and Chrome extension availability
- Excellent security and privacy protection
- Fast connection speeds
- No in-app kill switch protection in Android app
BEST VPN FOR CHROMEBOOK:NordVPN offers excellent protection for your Chromebook. The service delivers fast, well-protected connections and above-average customer support, all without breaking the bank. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of NordVPN.
Surfshark delivers above-average VPN protection for your Chromebook thanks to its kill switch-protected Android app, convenient Chrome browser extension, and excellent customer support. All of this comes at a bargain-basement price.
This provider’s global server network was rather small in its early days, but they have since kicked their global growth into overdrive. Currently, the provider has 3,200+ servers located in over 64 countries around the globe.
Surfshark’s connection speeds will easily keep up with the demands of your Chromebook, be it schoolwork, gaming, or working from home.
Privacy and security are, well, secured when subscribing to Surfshark. The provider has a no-logs policy, and it happily accepts Bitcoin. In the connection security department, Surfshark delivers highly-encrypted connections and is the only provider in this top 5 to offer kill switch protection for its Android app.
Customer support can be placed into the “no worries” category when you use Surfshark thanks to its searchable support library, support contact form and 24/7 live chat option.
The provider generously allows unlimited concurrent connections, but if you have a device that doesn’t have a VPN app available, you can also make use of their excellent router support.
- Only kill switch-protected Android app on this list
- Unlimited concurrent connections
- Top-notch privacy and security coverage
- Fast connection speeds
- Fast-growing global server network
- No manual configuration options
BUDGET-PRICE VPN SECURITY:Surfshark provides well-protected connections, delivering the only Android app with kill switch protection in the top 5. The provider offers fast connections and top-notch performance, all at a budget price. An unlimited simultaneous connections policy only adds to the value. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read our full review of Surfshark.
ExpressVPN delivers reliable all-around protection and performance for Chromebook devices. The provider delivers comprehensive global server coverage and top-notch Chromebook support.
ExpressVPN offers an Android app that works with recent versions of Chrome OS, as well as a Google Chrome browser extension. In addition, experienced users can make use of the service’s instructions to manually set up an L2TP connection to the provider’s servers.
No matter which location around the globe you’d like to appear to be connecting from, ExpressVPN likely has it covered, as it offers over 3,000 servers located in 94 countries.
All of your Chrome OS apps will perform well when streaming video or saving information to the cloud thanks to ExpressVPN’s swift connection speeds. The provider never subjects its users to data caps or bandwidth limitations.
Customer support is always accessible through the provider’s 24/7 live support chat, support ticket tracking system, email support, and searchable support library.
Your security is always protected thanks to the provider’s well-encrypted connections. Your privacy is also never in peril, as the provider has a strict no-logs policy when it comes to keeping a record of your online travels and accepts Bitcoin for subscription payment.
The provider has a limit of 5 concurrent connections using a single username. Multiple users can take advantage of the provider’s optimal router compatibility to protect multiple devices via a single access point.
- Offers Android app and Chrome browser extension
- Connection speeds keep things brisk
- Top-notch customer support
- Excellent security and privacy protections
- Comprehensive global server coverage
- Most expensive provider on this list
RELIABLE ONLINE PROTECTION FOR CHROMEBOOK:ExpressVPN is a good, flexible VPN option for use with your Chromebook. Fast connection speeds and wide-ranging global server coverage make it easy to protect your Chromebook. While the provider is admittedly expensive, a 30-day money-back guarantee makes trying ExpressVPN a no-risk option.
Read our full review of ExpressVPN.
CyberGhost is the first-time user pick on this list of 5, thanks to its easy-to-use app. The provider also does a great job of protecting your internet-related Chromebook activities. The provider’s connections are well protected, and its privacy protections are second to none.
The provider delivers in the Android app and Chrome browser extension departments, and it also provides instructions on how to manually set up an L2TP connection.
CyberGhost’s global server network falls somewhere around the industry average, with 7,000+ servers in 90 countries. That will provide access to most geo-blocked content around the globe, including Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and more.
Fast connections and a lack of data caps or bandwidth limitations make CyberGhost an excellent option for always-connected devices like the Chromebook.
CyberGhost’s customer service department will never leave you unsupported thanks to their live support chat option, support ticket system, and searchable support library.
Military-grade encryption for your internet connection has you covered in the security department, while a strict no-logs policy and Bitcoin payment option keep your privacy well-protected.
Although CyberGhost allows a generous 7 concurrent connections, if you need more, the provider’s wide compatibility with a large number of router makes and models will come in handy.
- Android app and Chrome extension available
- Well-encrypted connections
- Fast connections, perfect for always-connected Chromebooks
- Industry-standard privacy protections
- No kill switch protection in the Android app
BEST FOR NEW VPN USERS:CyberGhost is the best VPN for Chromebook users who are new to the VPN scene. The provider’s security and privacy protection free you from the worry of exposure. A 45-day money-back guarantee makes trying this provider a no-risk proposition.
Read our full review of CyberGhost.
IPVanish delivers optimal app and browser extension support, along with top-notch privacy and security protections.
The provider offers a Chrome browser extension and an Android app, as well as manual OpenVPN and L2TP instructions.
IPVanish’s global server coverage is lacking a bit when compared to other providers’ coverage. That said, with 1,600+ servers stationed in nearly 60 countries, the provider has things covered fairly well.
IPVanish owns and operates their server farms, meaning no third parties have access to those servers or your information.
IPVanish’s connection speeds are more than adequate for an always-connected device like the Chromebook. Customer support also matches or exceeds other VPN services, with 24/7 chat support, email support, and an easily searchable support knowledge base.
Privacy is a bit of a mixed bag when you’re dealing with IPVanish. While the provider never keeps any logs of your online travel, it doesn’t offer a Bitcoin payment option, which means there isn’t a way to pay anonymously.
While IPVanish’s connections do offer military-grade encryption, they lack a kill switch option.
IPVanish can protect all of your devices via its extensive router compatibility, although it offers a super-generous unlimited concurrent connection allowance.
- Proprietary server farms add to security
- Allows unlimited simultaneous connections
- Offers both OpenVPN and L2TP manual configurations
- No kill switch option on Android app
- No Bitcoin payment option
NO THIRD PARTIES INVOLVED:IPVanish’s self-owned and -operated server farms prevent third parties from accessing your data. Experienced users can take advantage of OpenVPN connections, without running an app. The provider’s 30-day money-back guarantee takes the risk out of giving IPVanish a try.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Methodology for Assessing VPNs for Chromebook
You can’t just choose the first VPN service provider you see when deciding upon which VPN service to use for the Chromebook. There are several important factors to keep in mind when you’re looking to protect your Chromebook with a VPN.
Here are the most important metrics to keep in mind when thinking about a VPN for Chromebook.
- Speed: You’ll always want a fast connection, because fast connections equal a better experience for basically all internet activities. All of the VPNs on my list offered extremely fast connection speeds during my most recent speed tests.
- Server Network: A large server network will mean that you can easily unblock internet content all over the world. In addition, a large number of servers spread across the globe mean that your speeds will be better, as no particular server will be bogged down with too many users, all attempting to connect at once.
- Value: Everyone’s after a good deal. Why settle for a VPN that overcharges you for paltry services? Each VPN on my list offers the features and functionality you need for Chromebook, and the prices they ask are reasonable for what they offer.
- Ease of Use: Not only should you look for a VPN that will offer easy-to-use apps (so you won’t have to waste time struggling with complicated settings), but the VPN you get should also offer either a ChromeOS app or an Android app that is compatible with the Chromebook. Each VPN on my list offers easy-to-use apps, and at least one app is compatible with Chromebook. (That can’t be said of all VPN service providers out there.)
- Security and Privacy: Whatever your intention is when it comes to what online activities you’re hoping to conduct with your VPN connection, you need comprehensive digital security and privacy in order to keep you safe. At the very least, a VPN should offer banking-level encryption, an automatic kill switch and DNS/IP leak protection. Also look for a strict no-logs policy, which will mean no person or entity can ask for a record of what you’ve been up to.
- Streaming: Most VPN users are fond of streaming video, so the ability to unblock and stream numerous VPN providers is something I’m always on the lookout for. Each VPN on my list offers reliable access to streaming services like Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and more.
Check out more information about my VPN testing methodology.
Is a Free VPN a Good Option For Use With a Chromebook?
I’ll be upfront with you: While there are free VPN services that will work with your Chromebook, I would never recommend a free VPN for any type of use. They are simply not worth the risk they entail.
Many “free” VPN providers pay their rent and utilities by monitoring their customers’ online usage habits and then selling that information to advertisers and other interested parties. Some freebie VPNs are known to inject unwanted tracking cookies and advertisements into their users’ browsing sessions.
Besides being a privacy hazard, free VPNs can cost you in terms of time and convenience. You may be forced to wait in a queue before being allowed to connect to a VPN server. Then, once you’re let out of the holding pen, your server selection will likely be limited, if you have a choice of server at all.
Once you’re connected, it’s also possible that your free provider will put a monthly data cap on your VPN usage, and maybe even throttle your connection speeds. UGH!
Remember, a month of service from a reputable VPN provider will cost you less than a digital album on iTunes. Using a “free” VPN can cost you a lot more.
Using Android Apps With Your Chromebook
While using a VPN’s Chrome browser extension with your Chromebook is convenient, keep in mind that the extension only protects your browser session, leaving the rest of your online activities open to monitoring.
If you prefer complete privacy to convenience, you’re in luck.
Chromebooks running recent versions of the Chrome OS or Chromium OS (the open-source version of Chrome OS) can run Android apps, which can protect all of your online activities. (Google created both the Chrome OS and Android operating systems, making them compatible.)
If you’d like to confirm your Chromebook can install and use Android apps, visit the Chromium OS website for a list of compatible devices.
VPN For Chromebook FAQs
What is the Best Free VPN for Chromebook
There is no such thing. Free VPNs are known to be less than private, they limit your usage by imposing daily or monthly data caps, throttling your connection speeds, and more.
Do VPN Providers Offer Chromebook Apps?
Only a few VPN providers offer a native app for Chromebook devices. However, depending on which version Chromebook you have, you may be able to use the provider's Android app. Check with your VPN of choice for more information.
Chromebook users who are looking to protect their online activities from prying eyes are well-advised to select and use a reputable, reliable VPN provider.
In addition to protecting you from third-party observation, a VPN also opens up content that you might not normally have access to.
NordVPN provides the optimal method of protecting your Chromebook via its well-encrypted connections, wide-ranging global server coverage and top-notch privacy and security offerings.
For more information or to purchase a subscription, visit the NordVPN website.
- How to Use Your VPN With a Chromebook
- Best VPNs for Chromebook
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. IPVanish
- Methodology for Assessing VPNs for Chromebook
- Is a Free VPN a Good Option For Use With a Chromebook?
- Using Android Apps With Your Chromebook
- VPN For Chromebook FAQs
- What is the Best Free VPN for Chromebook
- Do VPN Providers Offer Chromebook Apps?