You settle in for a visit to Gielinor, the fantasy world that your favorite online role-playing game, RuneScape, is set in. You’ve been learning the new skills required to make it through the ongoing quests, and you’re really getting the hang of it.
But wait, when you try to log in, you find that you’re banned from the world of Gielinor! What the heck?
You can be banned from RuneScape for numerous reasons, but is there a way of getting unbanned? Yes, there is a way, and it’s called a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
How to Get Unbanned from RuneScape
You can be banned from RuneScape for a multitude of reasons, such as violating any of their rules of service.
Because RuneScape tracks both your username and the IP address you’re connecting from, users that have been banned from the realm of Gielinor will need to both create a new account and obtain a different IP address to regain access to the servers.
The easiest way to obtain a new IP address is to use a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
Over the last few years I have tested a large number of VPN providers, and the results have proven that NordVPN is the most reliable way to restore access to RuneScape and other online games.
NordVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so it’s a no-risk proposition.
RuneScape is a popular fantasy-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG).
The game takes place in a world called Gielinor, which is a medieval fantasy realm that is divided into various kingdoms, regions and cities. Players navigate through the game, completing quests via their on-screen avatar.
Why Does RuneScape Ban Users?
Administrators can ban users from the RuneScape service for several reasons, including but not limited to:
- Account hijacking
- Bug abuse
- Real-world trading
- Other manual, permanent bannable offenses (fraud, community safety, etc.)
While I know none of my readers would be banned for any of the above infractions, admins do make mistakes, and you may get banned unfairly.
Still, keep in mind that once you regain access, you’ll want to make sure to play well with others. The game is just more fun when everyone behaves.
How Do I Get UNbanned?
Before we dive into getting unbanned from RuneScape, let’s take a quick look at how they ban players and how they track those banned players.
RuneScape keeps track of both a player’s username and IP address.
An IP address is what identifies your device on the internet. It acts much like a home address does for your house, identifying your house on the map.
The IP address part allows RuneScape to enforce a ban, even if the player uses a different device or a different username.
This may sound impossible to overcome, but it’s really not. A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is an excellent tool for unblocking almost any online service, RuneScape included.
When you connect your device to a VPN server, it temporarily assigns it a fresh IP address. This makes it appear as if the device is connecting from another location, be it across the street or across the world.
The new IP address will allow you to connect to RuneScape and create a new account, getting you back into the action. Sure, you’ll have to start over with a new character, but at least you’ll be playing.
PRO TIP: When creating a new username, come up with a completely new handle. If your old username was “Mega_Knight,” a username of “Mega_Knight2” might raise suspicion.
Steps for Unblocking RuneScape by Using a VPN
Just follow the instructions below to regain access to RuneScape.
- Subscribe to a VPN provider.
- Download and install the app from the provider of your choice.
- Start the VPN app and connect to a nearby server.
- Connect to RuneScape.
- Create a new account.
- Get back into the game!
How a VPN Works
Sure, we’re focusing on how a VPN can get you back into the RuneScape action, but a VPN can do so much more than that.
A VPN also protects your online activities from prying eyes by encasing your connection in a layer of military-level encryption. This keeps governments, ISPs, and even the shifty dude down at Starbucks from using the public Wi-Fi hotspot to monitor your online activities, thus protecting you and your personal information.
As previously mentioned, a VPN can temporarily assign your device a new IP address, allowing you to get around blocks from RuneScape. But it can conquer bans from other gaming-related services as well, such as the game Fortnite, the messaging service Discord, and the streaming service Twitch.
The new IP address that a VPN provides also opens access to content that might normally be blocked in your region. This includes content such as that offered by Netflix, Hulu, and other streaming providers, as well as gaming servers and other services.
And this is only the tip of the iceberg!
Methodology for Assessing a VPN for Removing a Runescape Ban
When you’re dying to play Runescape but impeded by a ban, you need a VPN that will reliably re-enable access. Not just any VPN will do, which is why you need to choose one that’s proven its worth.
Here are the things I looked at when deciding which VPN to recommend (NordVPN) for removing a Runescape ban.
- Speed: Lag is no fun, but you might experience it with the wrong VPN. NordVPN, my chosen VPN provider, offers blazingly fast speeds, so you’ll never have to deal with lag during an important part of the game.
- Server Network: Since Runescape servers are available worldwide, you’ll want a VPN that offers a truly global network of servers, like NordVPN does. In addition, NordVPN offers a huge number of servers in various locations, and that huge number means there won’t be too many NordVPN users clogging up the server connections, slowing your speeds.
- Value: If you’re like most VPN users, you want a VPN that will offer a good value. A good value VPN won’t overcharge you for its services. NordVPN is especially budget-priced, offering much in return for a pittance, especially when you opt for its multi-year subscription.
- Ease of Use: No sense in wasting time fiddling with a VPN’s settings when you just want to get in on the Runescape action. NordVPN offers easy-to-use apps, providing a simple way to enable the VPN and get right into gaming as soon as possible.
- Security and Privacy: There are many dangers to watch out for on the internet, no matter what online activity you’re looking to conduct. You need to protect yourself whenever you use the internet. Look for government-grade encryption, an automatic kill switch and DNS/IP leak protection. In addition, you want a VPN that will never save logs of your online activities. NordVPN fits this description.
- Gaming: As a Runescape fan, you’re probably also into playing other games. NordVPN not only unblocks Runescape, but also Fortnite and the messaging app Discord, and can allow you to unblock Twitch and stream Twitch. NordVPN also works well with LoL, WoW, Minecraft, Steam and Steam games generally, and more.
Check out more information about my VPN testing methodology.
Which VPN Is Best for Unblocking RuneScape?
Okay, pretty much any VPN can probably unblock RuneScape for you. But if you’re going to be paying for a VPN anyway, why not get one that’s reliable and does a great all-around job of protecting you as well?
NordVPN is that provider.
NordVPN is the best available VPN service today.
The provider delivers fast, well-encrypted connections, allowing you to access the content you desire by evading virtual roadblocks. With excellent global server coverage, comprehensive multi-platform support, and top-notch customer service, NordVPN has you covered.
1. Connection Speeds
RuneScape, like most online games, plays best with a fast connection. Fast connection speeds also come in handy for web browsing, streaming music, and video, or just about any other internet-related activity you can think of.
You’ll find that NordVPN’s connection speeds are among the fastest in the VPN industry. Their connections are easily up to the action in RuneScape, or any other online game for that matter. You’ll also appreciate the speed when you’re in the middle of your latest Netflix binge.
2. Multi-Platform Support
RuneScape is available on the Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS device platforms. That makes wide-ranging app support an important factor for any VPN provider you consider.
NordVPN offers apps for all of those platforms, as well as Android TV and Amazon Fire. The service also offers extensions for the Chrome and Firefox browser platforms.
Users can connect up to 6 devices at once on the same login. If more connections are required, the provider offers excellent router compatibility, allowing you to connect multiple devices via one connection.
3. Customer Support
While I hope that all of my readers never experience issues with their VPN connections, issues do arise from time to time. That’s when NordVPN’s excellent customer support department will come in handy.
The provider delivers 24/7 live chat support, responsive email support, and a searchable support library.
4. Global Server Coverage
While almost any nearby VPN server will help you reconnect with RuneScape, optimal global server coverage enhances your other online activities.
NordVPN has the world covered with over 5,500 servers, stationed in 59 countries. That means you’ll have access to your favorite content, no matter where it’s housed.
You’d think that such a high-quality service would cost you big bucks. But instead, NordVPN comes at a surprisingly low price, especially for their multi-year subscriptions. You can score a special deal if you click the link below.
Read my full review for additional information on NordVPN.
Restore Your Access to RuneScape
If you are ever unlucky enough to feel the wrath of RuneScape’s administrators, you have options. By using NordVPN, you can be back in the game in no time.
In addition to restoring your access to RuneScape, the provider will also protect your online activities from prying eyes, open access to blocked content around the world, and enhance all of your online activities.
For more information or to purchase a subscription, visit the NordVPN website.
Runescape Unbanning FAQs
How Can I Avoid a Runescape IP Ban?
Runescape players can avoid a Runescape IP ban by using a VPN to obtain a fresh IP address. Since Runescape also bans usernames, you'll also need to open a new account under another name.
Which Free VPN is Best for Getting Around a Runescape IP Ban?
I do not recommend using a free VPN for Runescape. Free VPNs do not offer reliable privacy protections and also restrict your online activities by imposing bandwidth throttling and data caps.
- How to Get Unbanned from RuneScape
- About RuneScape
- Why Does RuneScape Ban Users?
- How Do I Get UNbanned?
- How a VPN Works
- Methodology for Assessing a VPN for Removing a Runescape Ban
- Which VPN Is Best for Unblocking RuneScape?
- Restore Your Access to RuneScape
- Runescape Unbanning FAQs
- How Can I Avoid a Runescape IP Ban?
- Which Free VPN is Best for Getting Around a Runescape IP Ban?