Educational institutions, ranging all the way from elementary schools to universities, generally prevent access to any online services they believe might be a distraction from a student’s studies (even historical dramas, like Stranger Things).
This often means streaming services like Netflix will be blocked and won’t be available when you’re at school or on campus.
While I agree that an education is important, I also believe that there isn’t any harm in a student watching a quick episode of their favorite show on their lunch or study breaks.
So, in this article, I’m going to share the best tool to use to get around your school’s Netflix roadblock: a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
A VPN hides your internet connection and reroutes it through its servers, keeping your school from preventing you from engaging in any of your favorite online activities.
How to Access Netflix on School WiFi
NordVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Steps for Unblocking Netflix by Using a VPN
Follow the steps listed below to open access to Netflix at your school:
- Subscribe to the VPN provider of your choice (I recommend NordVPN).
- Download and install the app(s) from the provider on your device(s).
- Run the VPN app, log in, and connect to a VPN server.
- Connect to Netflix and enjoy the show!
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
A full-featured 30-day trial subscription to NordVPN is available when you sign up on this page. This means you get to use the #1 VPN for Netflix risk-free for one month. This is great for Netflix viewers who are looking to watch Netflix on school WiFi.
There are no hidden penalties or fees for canceling - if you decide NordVPN isn't the right VPN for you, simply contact support within 30 days and you'll get a refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How a VPN Works
True, this article focuses on using a VPN to access Netflix while connected to your school’s WiFi network. However, I can’t pass up the opportunity to share with you the other cool things a VPN can do for you.
A VPN excels at providing access to services and websites that your school or local government may prevent access to, or that may be unavailable due to geographical restrictions.
All work and no play make Jack and Jill dull people. That’s why I also mention that a VPN’s ability to provide access to social services, like Snapchat and Instagram, or online games like Fortnite, are also good reasons to use a VPN at school.
A VPN also does an excellent job of keeping your online activities from the prying eyes of outsiders, which can include the bad guys (like hackers), the so-called “good guys” in the government, and even your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
A VPN protects your connection by using a layer of military-level encryption, hiding your online activities the same way a highway tunnel hides the vehicle traffic beneath it.
In addition, a VPN can prevent your ISP from throttling your connection speeds simply because you’re engaging in “unapproved” activities, like visiting certain websites or engaging in P2P file-sharing activities.
A VPN is an indispensable tool for keeping your information safe from the dark side of the internet.
Methodology for Assessing a VPN for Unblocking Netflix on School WiFi
You can’t just choose the first VPN service provider you see for accessing Netflix on school WiFi. Not all VPNs are capable of doing so, and not all VPNs will offer an optimal experience.
These are the most important factors to consider when deciding upon a VPN for providing access to Netflix on school WiFi, which helped me decide upon the best VPN to recommend (NordVPN).
- Speed: If you want to stream Netflix, it’s imperative that your chosen VPN service provider offers speeds fast enough to handle the HD and 4K streams that Netflix offers. You don’t want to deal with a blurry picture or long buffering times. NordVPN offers blazingly fast speeds.
- Server network: Netflix offers location-specific content in countries throughout the world, so a large global server network is key so you can access any kind of Netflix content you like, in any location. It’s also important to consider how many servers the provider offers, as a large number of servers mean faster speeds.
- Value: Considering a VPN’s value is also critical. It doesn’t make sense to purchase a subscription to a VPN service provider that doesn’t offer the features and functionality you need, and especially to choose one that overcharges and doesn’t deliver. NordVPN is extremely reasonably priced for what it offers.
- Ease of use: It also doesn’t make sense to choose a VPN provider that’s difficult to use. You just want to watch Netflix, right now, and fiddling with your VPN settings is a waste of time. Also, consider whether a VPN offers native app support for your preferred streaming device. NordVPN offers easy-to-use apps for a large number of platforms.
- Security and privacy: Don’t forget that an important aspect of VPNs is to protect your digital security and privacy. I made sure that the VPN I recommend (NordVPN) offers banking-level encryption, an automatic kill switch, and DNS/IP leak protection. It also doesn’t save any logs of your online activities, so there’s no record of your online escapades.
- Streaming: If you’re a fan of Netflix, you’re also probably a fan of other video streaming providers. That’s why I chose NordVPN to recommend, as it’s capable of providing access to Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, and more.
- Social media: A VPN can also help you unblock social media services at school, such as Snapchat, Instagram, and more. NordVPN is adept at unblocking these sites.
My research doesn’t end here. Evaluating the factors listed above is just a small part of my overall, comprehensive VPN testing methodology. My data-driven approach helps me better understand the VPN providers and the services they offer, so I can recommend only those that are a good fit for your needs.
What Is the Best VPN for Unblocking Netflix on School WiFi?
I’ll admit it, there are numerous VPNs available today that do an admirable job of providing access to Netflix when you’re using your school’s WiFi network.
However, none of them do as reliable a job of it as NordVPN does.
NordVPN offers the best VPN protection available today.
The provider delivers reliable access to Netflix video and other content that might normally be unavailable in your area (including the classroom).
In addition, NordVPN provides some of the fastest connection speeds in the business, making it perfect for streaming video from Netflix. The provider also offers wide-ranging global server coverage, excellent customer support, and apps that are compatible with almost all popular device platforms.
Read my full review for additional information on NordVPN.
In addition to Netflix, NordVPN does an excellent job of securely accessing other streaming services, including numerous music and video streaming services.
When it comes to streaming any kind of online video content, a fast connection is your friend. That is especially true when you’re talking about Netflix’s HD and 4K HDR streaming content.
High-speed connections also come in handy for online gaming, web browsing, file sharing, or any other online activity that comes to mind.
NordVPN was a top-ranked VPN provider in my most recent VPN download speed tests, making it excellent for streaming in HD or 4K.
Of course, your speeds will vary, depending on the type of connection speeds you usually have. However, speeds like that deliver an excellent online experience.
Netflix is available on just about every connected device available today. Computers, mobile devices, game consoles, set-top boxes – even refrigerators can play Netflix content. (Good luck getting your school to let you bring your own refrigerator into the classroom, though.)
NordVPN offers native app support for Windows, macOS (with native support for M1/M2 Macs), iOS, Android, Amazon Fire, Linux, and Android TV platforms. Browser extensions are available to protect your Chrome, Edge, and Firefox browsing sessions.
You can connect up to six devices at once to the NordVPN network while using the same set of login credentials. You can also make use of NordVPN’s excellent router compatibility to protect all of your connected devices at home. (Yes, even the refrigerator.)
While I sincerely hope you are never afflicted with technical issues while using your shiny new VPN, we have to face the fact that stuff happens. When the waste matter hits the oscillating cooling device, you’ll feel better knowing competent customer support is available to aid you.
NordVPN’s customer support folk are at your service around the clock, ready to aid you. 24/7 support chat, a searchable support library, and a troubleshooting database, as well as email support, all add up to top-notch customer service.
Global Server Coverage
You’ll likely be successful in accessing Netflix while connected to your school’s WiFi by connecting to the nearest VPN server.
However, what if you’re looking to access Netflix content in France or the United Kingdom? That’s where comprehensive global server coverage, like NordVPN’s coverage, comes in handy.
Global server coverage like what NordVPN provides also does a great job of providing access to content from other streaming providers like Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and many more. Plus, it also opens vistas to online gaming, music, and other online services that may usually be unavailable in your region.
NordVPN has the globe well covered, with over 5,600 servers located in close to 60 countries around the globe.
Security and Privacy
Your online security is never at risk when using NordVPN, thanks to its use of banking-grade encryption, a kill switch, and IP/DNS leak prevention.
There are no records of your online travels while connected to NordVPN servers, thanks to the provider’s strict no server logs policy. Plus, you have the option of paying for your VPN subscription with cryptocurrency.
NordVPN’s owned-and-operated servers are never attended to by third-party contractors, meaning outsiders don’t have access to your personal data. Those same servers are run 100% from RAM, with no data ever being written to a physical hard drive. This ensures that all data is securely wiped from a server upon a reboot or when it is turned off.
NordVPN offers month-to-month subscriptions for the price of a deluxe fast food combo meal, and the price drops considerably if you opt for a one-year or two-year deal.
Can I Use a Free VPN to Unblock Netflix at School?
While a student on a tight budget might see a free VPN as being an attractive alternative to a paid service like NordVPN, try not to be dazzled by the low price of “free.” A “free” VPN provider has many hidden costs, not the least of which are privacy and convenience.
Privacy-wise, many freebie providers keep their servers running by monitoring a user’s online activities, saving the info, and then selling said info to the highest bidder.
In addition, some free VPNs will inject unwanted ads and tracking cookies into a user’s browser sessions (and those tracking cookies stick around even after you’re disconnected from the VPN’s network).
You’ll also find that some VPN providers require you to wait in a queue before connecting to a server.
Then, once you’re allowed to connect, you’ll find the server selection is extremely limited – that is, IF you’re allowed to select a server at all, and the free VPN service provider doesn’t automatically assign you one.
Plus, there’s no guarantee that that limited selection will include a server located where you need it to be to access your favorite streaming service.
Once you’re connected, you may find that the freebie VPN throttles your speeds or imposes daily or monthly data caps. None of this adds up to a great way to access Netflix, now does it?
If you’re tempted by a free VPN, think twice. Instead, offer tutoring sessions for cash, or ask Mom and Dad for a bigger allowance.
What Are the Best Educational Shows on Netflix?
There is plenty of educational content on Netflix that is suitable for elementary schoolers on up to high schoolers, and every grade in between.
- Emily’s Wonder Lab – Host Emily Calandrelli makes STEAM fun by combining activities, demonstrations, and at-home experiments.
- The Hidden Lives of Pets – Host Hugh Bonneville provides a look at creatures from around the world, while also digging into our animal friends’ senses and skills.
- The Magic School Bus – Ms. Frizzle and her crew get in the Magic School Bus to travel to outer space, under the sea, and more!
- The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind – Inspired by the book of the same name, a 13-year-old boy builds a wind turbine to save his village from famine.
- Kevin Hart’s Guide to Black History – Comedian Kevin Hart enlists his funny friends to tell the stories of Black history icons via comedic re-enactments.
- David Attenborough: A Life on Our Planet – Emmy-winning narrator David Attenborough shares the evolutionary history of life on Earth.
- Bill Nye: Science Guy – The bow-tied host faces off with climate-change skeptics as he demonstrates the importance of scientific evidence.
- Challenger: The Final Flight – This documentary offers an interesting perspective on the 1986 Space Shuttle Challenger disaster and its aftermath.
- High Score – This entertaining docuseries exposes the history of the video game industry, featuring insights from the pioneers involved.
This is only a small sample of the educational content available on Netflix. Be sure to visit the Netflix site for many other educational films and TV episodes.
Access Netflix at School FAQs
How Do I View Netflix on Chromebook?
To view Netflix on Chromebook, you'll need to download NordVPN's Google Chrome browser extension. Then, connect to a VPN server in your desired country through the VPN extension and start binging.
Can I Use a Free VPN to Access Netflix at School?
Free VPNs aren't a good idea for accessing Netflix at school. This is because Netflix tries to prevent VPN IP addresses from accessing their content, and it takes a lot of resources for VPNs to replace IP addresses as they're blocked, and free VPNs simply don't have those resources. Free VPNs will also throttle your connection speeds, set data caps, and track your online activities to sell to interested third parties. Avoid free VPNs like the plague.
How Can I Enjoy Hulu, Twitch, Spotify, and Others on School WiFi?
The process for accessing pretty much any online service – whether that's Netflix, Hulu, Twitch, Spotify, or another service – is to use a VPN.
The process goes like this:
- Subscribe to your favorite VPN provider (I recommend NordVPN).
- Download the provider's app(s) onto your preferred device(s).
- Log into the service on the app.
- Connect to a VPN server in the U.S. or whichever country you'd like to access the respective service's content from.
- Start streaming away!
How Do You Bypass School WiFi Blocks Without a VPN?
You may have luck using a proxy server to bypass school WiFi blocks. Using an alternate DNS provider, such as OpenDNS may also allow you to access formerly blocked sites. It all depends on how much your school’s WiFi network is locked down.
A Netflix VPN is Useful But is it Legal to Use at School?
While it is not illegal to use a VPN at school (unless you live in a country where VPN usage is illegal), your school could discipline you if you are found to be using a VPN.
How Do I Unblock Netflix On a School iPad?
Your school's IT department will be able to help you unblock Netflix on your school iPad. They can do this by changing the DNS settings on your iPad so that it connects to a different server, which will allow you to bypass the filters that are in place.
If you're not sure how to change the DNS settings on your iPad, or if you've tried and been unsuccessful, then you can contact the help desk for your school and they'll be happy to assist you.
Alternatively, you could try using a VPN service. A VPN service will mask your IP address and make it appear as if you're connecting from a different location, which will then enable you to access Netflix (and other blocked websites).
Is It a Good Idea to Use a VPN on a College Network?
There are thousands of users connected to college and university networks, meaning there are plenty of people connected and you have no idea what they're up to, a VPN can help guard you against other folks naughty activities. Plus, you don't want anyone to know what you're up to online, so using a VPN prevents anyone from monitoring your online antics.
Why Do School's Block Certain Websites and Services?
The point of attending a college or university is to learn. Schools block some websites and services because they are distractions from assigned schoolwork. They also block online activities like file sharing because the technology is often used to share copyrighted files.
Unblock Netflix on School WiFi
Don’t let your school spoil the show by preventing you from accessing Netflix. NordVPN will deliver all the access you need to continue your binge, no matter where you’re at.
In addition to providing access to Netflix, NordVPN also protects your online activities from prying eyes, delivers connection speeds that are ready for anything, and is ready around the clock to provide help whenever it’s needed.
For more information or to purchase a subscription, visit the NordVPN website.
- How to Access Netflix on School WiFi
- How a VPN Works
- Methodology for Assessing a VPN for Unblocking Netflix on School WiFi
- What Is the Best VPN for Unblocking Netflix on School WiFi?
- About NordVPN
- Can I Use a Free VPN to Unblock Netflix at School?
- What Are the Best Educational Shows on Netflix?
- Access Netflix at School FAQs
- How Do I View Netflix on Chromebook?
- Can I Use a Free VPN to Access Netflix at School?
- How Can I Enjoy Hulu, Twitch, Spotify, and Others on School WiFi?
- How Do You Bypass School WiFi Blocks Without a VPN?
- A Netflix VPN is Useful But is it Legal to Use at School?
- How Do I Unblock Netflix On a School iPad?
- Is It a Good Idea to Use a VPN on a College Network?
- Why Do School's Block Certain Websites and Services?
- Unblock Netflix on School WiFi