In today’s always-connected world, most of us have at least one device we regularly use on the net. However, it’s more likely that you use multiple devices, such as a desktop and/or laptop computer and an iOS- or Android-powered mobile device. Along with those devices, you may also have smart TVs, game consoles and set-top streaming boxes that are also connected to the internet.
It seems as if there’s a new internet-connected device released daily. Even your front doorbell and home security cameras can be connected. That means a Virtual Private Network (VPN) is more important than ever.
How Can a VPN Help?
A VPN provides so much protection, as well as numerous advantages, you’ll likely want to use the VPN service with more than one device at a time.
This is especially true if you own a small business or have a large family, thus requiring multiple simultaneous VPN connections. The more simultaneous connections allowed on a single account, the fewer VPN subscriptions you’ll need to shell out money for.
In this article, I’ll provide mini-reviews of seven VPN providers that have proven to offer the best VPN protection to users requiring multiple simultaneous VPN connections.
How to Use a VPN on Multiple Devices
It’s easy to use a VPN service on multiple devices. Just do the following:
- Subscribe to a VPN provider that not only allows multiple concurrent connections but also provides top-notch service and protection. (NordVPN is my #1 choice.)
- Install the VPN app on your favorite devices.
- Log into the VPN service on your devices.
- Connect to a VPN server.
- Enjoy your multiple newly protected and enhanced connections!
Best VPNs for Multiple Devices
Following rounds of extensive testing, as well as heavy real-life usage, the seven VPNs listed below have proven themselves to be the best VPNs for users with multiple devices. The TL;DR version of the list is as follows:
- NordVPN: Top VPN Pick. NordVPN is my #1 pick because of its comprehensive multi-platform support, router compatibility and six simultaneous connections allowance. The provider offers its service at a surprisingly low price.
- Surfshark: Unlimited Bargain VPN service. Surfshark is a budget-priced VPN. Its unlimited concurrent connections allowance is unusual for the industry. The provider also offers above-average app support.
- ExpressVPN: Premium VPN service. This provider offers apps for a multitude of devices, although it only allows five connections to its servers at once. Great router compatibility and a widespread global server network may make up for that. This provider is the #1 VPN for use with multiple devices. While the provider doesn’t offer the most simultaneous connections, its fast connection speeds, excellent app support and wide-ranging global server network more than make up for it.
- CyberGhost: Good option for rookie VPN users. Easy-to-use apps that provide one-click access to specialized servers make this provider an excellent choice for first-time VPN users. The provider also delivers excellent connection speeds and offers download-optimized and streaming-optimized servers.
- Private Internet Access: Reliable access for multiple devices. PIA offers reliable VPN protections and access to geo-controlled content, for multiple devices. The provider’s global server network provides reliable access to your favorite tunes.
- PrivateVPN: “Stealthy” VPN protection. This provider’s Stealth VPN feature hides your VPN usage on multiple desktop or mobile devices, making it appear as normal browser traffic.
- Atlas VPN: Unlimited protection. While the provider’s global server network coverage is somewhat limited, it offers excellent protected access to geo-controlled data for as many devices as you need.
When ranking the best VPNs for use with multiple devices, I considered the following factors:
- Native app support
- Number of simultaneous connections allowed
- Connection speeds
- Global server network
- Security and privacy protections
- Customer support
Here is my list of the seven best VPNs for multiple devices:
NordVPN is my top pick for best VPN for simultaneous use on multiple devices, earning the ranking by offering extensive multi-platform support, router compatibility, and an above-average number of simultaneous connections.
NordVPN allows up to 6 devices to be concurrently connected to their service using the same login credentials.
This provider’s download speeds aren’t the fastest in this lineup. However, their download speeds are by no means slow. This provider’s download speeds scored the fastest in my most recent round of speed tests, meaning it offers more than enough speed for HD video, sharing files, and most online gaming. No data caps.
Native app support from the provider covers most popular devices, including the Amazon Fire, Android, Android TV, iOS, Linux, macOS (including M1 Mac support), and Windows platforms. Chrome, Edge and Firefox browser extensions are also available. The service is also compatible with a large number of router makes and models.
5,400+ servers in 60 countries provide access to most parts of the globe, opening up access to geo-blocked content like streaming and gaming services. NordVPN is working to make its entire network an owned and operated model. Also, the provider runs all server operations 100% only from RAM. Since it doesn’t write any data to a physical hard drive, all data is completely erased whenever a server is restarted.
Banking-grade encryption protects your online activities with the aid of kill switch, DNS leak, and IPv6 leak protection. A Double VPN option routes your connection through twin VPN servers, and an obfuscated server option helps hide your VPN activity as normal browser activity. Privacy protections include a strict no-server-logs policy and a cryptocurrency payment option.
Customer support is well represented here, with 24/7 support chat, email support, and a searchable troubleshooting library.
- Excellent app support, including an option for Android TV
- Up to 6 simultaneous connections
- Top-notch security and privacy
- Lightning-fast connection speeds
- Apps aren’t exactly user friendly
BEST VPN FOR MULTIPLE DEVICES:NordVPN, while not charging too much for its service, offers apps for a wide array of devices, as well as good router compatibility and 6 simultaneous connections. Its fast speeds will add to your enjoyment of the service. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of NordVPN.
Surfshark offers an excellent option for users on a budget. If you’ve spent all of your money on your devices and need to save a few bucks on VPN protection, look Surfshark’s way.
This provider’s unlimited simultaneous connections allowance is quite unusual in the VPN industry.
Currently, Surfshark’s connection speeds can easily handle streaming, gaming, file sharing, and just about anything else you can throw at it. No data caps.
App support from Surfshark is above average, with apps for the Amazon Fire, Android, iOS, Linux, macOS, and Windows platforms. (The macOS app boasts native M1 Mac support.) Plus, you have the option of using the provider’s Chrome, Edge and Firefox browser extensions. Support for various routers is also available.
Surfshark’s global server network is impressive, boasting over 3,200+ servers in 65+ countries around the globe, giving you access to plenty of international content. The provider’s network provides access to 30+ Netflix libraries around the globe.
Surfshark security and privacy protections are above average. Online protection includes bank-grade encryption, a kill switch option, and DNS leak and IPv6 leak prevention. The provider also offers the ability to block advertisements and online trackers.
As for privacy, a no-server-logs policy and a cryptocurrency payment option have that covered.
24/7 live support is available, along with a contact form and a searchable FAQ library.
- Allows unlimited concurrent connections
- Fast connections
- Above-average app support
- Top-notch privacy and security protections
- Apps lack some advanced options
BEST FOR BUDGET:Surfshark is a good value not only because of its low price for multi-year subscriptions, but also because of the unlimited simultaneous connections it allows on your devices, which should make it attractive to users on a budget who need a lot of connections. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of Surfshark.
ExpressVPN is a solid choice of VPN, offering extensive app support, speedy connections, and wide-ranging global coverage.
ExpressVPN offers a simultaneous connections allowance at a number near the industry average, five.
The provider’s connection speeds provide all the horsepower you’ll need for online activities like streaming HD and 4K video, online gaming, downloading and sharing large files, and more. No data caps are to be found here.
Native app support is among the best in the industry, with apps for Amazon Fire, Android, Android TV, ChromeOS, iOS, Linux, macOS, and Windows devices. Chrome, Edge and Firefox browser extensions are also available. In addition, the provider offers support for numerous makes and models of routers to protect all of your connected devices.
ExpressVPN’s global server network includes over 3,000 servers in 94 countries. The server network provides access to websites, services, and content around the globe. The provider’s “TrustedServer” technology runs all server operations solely from RAM, never writing any data to a physical hard drive. This means all data is wiped from the servers when they are rebooted.
The provider’s online protections include government-grade encryption, kill switch protection, DNS leak and IPv6 leak prevention, and more. Privacy is never an issue due to ExpressVPN’s no-server-logs policy and Bitcoin subscription payment option.
Customer support is also a priority at ExpressVPN, with 24/7 live support chat, email support, a trouble ticket tracking system, and a searchable support library all available.
- Impressive app support
- Comprehensive global server coverage
- Connection speeds that can easily handle HD video
- Top-notch privacy and security protections
- More expensive than many other VPNs
- Only allows 5 simultaneous connections
SPEEDY AND RELIABLE:ExpressVPN offers fast and reliable connections. It also offers comprehensive app support, even for Chromebook, which is not often seen. I do wish the provider offered more simultaneous connections. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of ExpressVPN.
CyberGhost should be an attractive option for first-time VPN users thanks to its easy-to-use, yet powerful apps, fast download speeds, and much more.
Users can simultaneously connect up to 7 devices on a single set of login credentials.
CyberGhost’s connection speeds can easily handle HD and 4K video, online gaming, and file sharing. No data caps.
Apps for the Android, Android TV, Amazon Fire, iOS, Linux, macOS, and Windows device platforms are available, as are Chrome and Firefox browser extensions. Router support is also available.
The provider has 8,000+ VPN servers located in 90+ countries at the time of this article, ensuring that content in most countries around the globe will be accessible. Servers include streaming- and file sharing-optimized options.
CyberGhost does a top-notch job of protecting your online activities thanks to military-grade encryption, a kill switch, IPv6 and DNS leak protections, and the blocking of ads and malicious websites. The provider’s apps can also force websites to serve up HTTPS versions of their webpages, if available.
Privacy is well-served thanks to the provider’s strict no-logs policy and Bitcoin subscription payment option.
In addition to comprehensive VPN services, CyberGhost also offers a password manager and alerts when your email address is exposed in a data breach. Also available is Windows antivirus/anti-malware protection, privacy guard and more.
CyberGhost’s customer support is second to none, offering a 24/7 live chat option, a support request form, and a searchable knowledge base.
- Servers in 90+ countries; streaming- and file sharing-optimized servers
- Fast connections
- Easy-to-use apps for popular device platforms
- Up to 7 simultaneous connections
- Advanced users might prefer more advanced app options
- Doesn’t work in China
BEST VPN FOR FIRST-TIME USERS:CyberGhost is the best option for first-time VPN users looking for optimal security in an easy-to-use package. The provider’s apps offer one-click access to streaming- and file-sharing-optimized servers, while providing optimal protection options with no complicated setup. A 45-day, no-risk money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of CyberGhost.
Private Internet Access (PIA) provides reliable protection and enhancement for multiple popular devices.
The provider has 3,300+ servers stationed in 80+ countries. The network provides comprehensive content access power for countries around the globe.
PIA’s native support includes offerings for Android, Android TV, iOS, Windows, macOS and Linux. Chrome, Opera and Firefox browser extensions are also available, and the provider also offers compatibility with various router makes and models.
Up to 10 devices can be simultaneously connected by a single user.
PIA’s download speeds, while not the fastest on this list, provide more than enough bandwidth for whatever online activities you enjoy. Never a data cap or bandwidth limitation to worry about here.
Government-grade encryption, IP/DNS leak prevention, and a kill switch do a good job of keeping your online travels incognito. PIA also offers blocking of ads, trackers, malware, and harmful sites.
PIA servers run sans logs, so there is no evidence of your past online antics. Plus, the provider also accepts cryptocurrency as subscription payment, keeping your payment information undercover.
PIA support options include live support chat, a trouble ticket form, and a searchable support database.
- Provides VPN protection for up to 10 devices at once
- Comprehensive online security and privacy
- Supports most popular devices
- No streaming-enhanced servers listed in app
- Doesn’t work in some overly-restrictive countries
RELIABLE VPN FOR MULTIPLE DEVICES:Private Internet Access provides well-protected online access to geo-controlled content for multiple popular devices. The provider delivers fast, well-protected connections. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
PrivateVPN delivers fast, well-protected connections for the big four device platforms.
The provider’s global server network (200+ servers in 60+ countries) is definitely the smallest network on this list. So, I suggest that you always check to make sure the provider has servers located where you need them before signing on the dotted line.
PrivateVPN provides super-fast internet connections, meaning the provider can provide more than enough horsepower for your favorite online pastime.
Unfortunately, PrivateVPN’s native app support is limited to the macOS, Windows, Android, and iOS device platforms. Manually setup router support is also available. No browser support with this provider.
Up to 10 devices can be connected to the VPN’s servers at once using the same set of login credentials.
All PrivateVPN connections are protected with military-grade encryption, IP/DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. A proprietary “Stealth VPN” feature hides your VPN usage by making it appear as normal browser activity.
PrivateVPN never saves any type of server logs connected to their users’ online activities, meaning no one can track your online activities later on. The provider also accepts Bitcoin in return for their services, so your payment info can be kept anonymous if you sign up using a disposable email address.
Customer support is available in the form of online chat, a non searchable FAQ section, and an email contact option.
- Up to 10 devices can be connected at once
- Speedy connections
- Top-notch privacy protection
- Global server coverage could be better
- No labeled streaming servers in app
RELIABLE, STEALTHY INTERNET ACCESS:PrivateVPN’s fast connections and top-notch privacy protections can keep up to 10 devices safely connected to the internet. Meanwhile, a Stealth VPN feature hides your VPN usage. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of PrivateVPN.
Atlas VPN will likely be attractive for those users with numerous devices to protect, such as for small businesses or Brady Bunch-sized families.
The provider’s server network has the second-smallest count on this list, with only 750+ servers spread thinly among 32+ countries. That said, Atlas global network provides reliable access to geo-controlled content in the countries where it is located.
Atlas VPN’s protected connections deliver download speeds that rank in the top 10. The provider never ruins your online fun with data caps or bandwidth limitations.
Banking-grade encryption, kill switch, and other protective measures keep your online activities undercover, while the provider’s proprietary Safebrowse and Safebrowse Plus features protect you from online browsing dangers.
All Atlas VPN servers are run 100% without logs, keeping no records ever of your online travels. Unfortunately, if you prefer to pay using cryptocurrency you will need to look for another VPN solution.
Native app support is available for the Android, iOS, macOS, Windows, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV device platforms. No support for Linux, browser extensions, or routers is available. However, all three features are in development.
Atlas has no limits on how many devices users can simultaneously connect to its servers.
Paying customers have access to live agent chat. Email, a contact form, and a support library are available to everyone.
- Fast, no-data-cap connections
- Native support for multiple devices
- Unblocks geo-controlled content
- No router support
- No browser or Linux support
- Global server coverage needs expansion
UNLIMITED VPN PROTECTION:Atlas VPN provides reliable access to content around the globe. Comprehensive online protection and enhancement is available for an unlimited number of devices. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of Atlas VPN.
Methodology for Assessing VPNs for Multiple Devices
When you require VPN protection for multiple devices at once, you don’t want to find that your chosen VPN service provider lacks a sufficient number of protective slots for all of your devices. That’s why I made sure to assess each VPN I recommend for the features needed to properly protect multiple devices.
These required features include:
- Simultaneous connections allowance: The more devices you have, the better the chance you’ll need to simultaneously connect more than one device at a time. The larger a provider’s connections allowance, the more flexible your protection options.
- Speed: Connection speed is important to consider when choosing a VPN. Fast connection speeds help make your online activities more enjoyable. All of the VPNs on my list offer extremely fast connection speeds.
- Server network: The larger the server network the better access you’ll have to all kinds of geo-controlled content. Also, make sure the VPN offers a large number of servers in each location. This will help prevent any single server from being overloaded with too many users attempting to connect.
- Value: Compare a VPN’s asking price to their service offerings to determine if a VPN is overcharging you. Each VPN I recommend has an asking price that makes it good value.
- Ease of use: VPN rookies will want an easy-to-use VPN that makes it easy to protect their devices. The apps are also available for a variety of platforms, giving you plenty of options when it comes to which device to use.
- Security and privacy: Let’s face it, if you’re online, then you’re in danger. So, comprehensive digital security and privacy protections are always critical. At the very least, banking-level encryption, an automatic kill switch and DNS/IP leak protection should be available. Plus, look for a no-logs policy.
- Streaming: If you’re like many online users, you enjoy streaming music and video. So, I made sure that each VPN on my list is also capable of accessing popular streaming services like Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and more.
The above factors are not all that I research. The factors listed above make up just a small part of my comprehensive VPN testing methodology. This data-driven approach helps me to better understand the VPNs and their services. This allows me to recommend only VPNs that are a good fit for your favorite online activities.
Can I Use a Free VPN on All of My Devices?
While it’s possible to use a free VPN on your various devices, I strongly recommend that you don’t. Just. Don’t. The frustrations you’ll face will far outweigh any advantages in price (or the lack thereof).
“Free” VPNs are no such thing. They have many hidden costs that come in the form of convenience, efficiency, privacy, and security.
First, convenience. Most free VPN providers limit the platforms they support. While Android, iOS, macOS, and Windows support might be available, you likely won’t see app support for Amazon Fire devices, smart TVs, or other, less popular platforms.
Also, convenience-related is the fact that you may be forced to wait in a queue before connecting to a free VPN server, and when you get the green light, you’ll either be logged onto one automatically or have a quite limited selection of servers to select from.
Now for efficiency. Many free VPN providers will throttle your connection speeds. Plus, many (if not most) VPN providers will impose a daily or monthly data cap on your usage. Multiple devices on the same account will eat up that data allowance in no time.
Now we come to arguably the most important argument against using a free VPN, that of their danger to your privacy and security. “Free” VPN providers are still looking to make a profit, so they keep their servers running by monitoring your online activity and then selling the information they collect to advertisers and other interested folks.
Other freebie VPNs will inject unwanted ads and tracking cookies into their users’ browser sessions. (And those tracking cookies hang around even after you’ve disconnected from the free VPN’s servers.)
What Can I Use a VPN For?
Basically, no matter what your favorite online activity is, a VPN can help protect and enhance it.
Movie and television fans will be glad to know that since a VPN can make it appear as if you are connecting from another country, it opens access to streaming content in other countries. BOOM! More for your entertainment dollar!
A VPN also encrypts your internet connection, ensuring your Internet Service Provider (ISP), the government, and that suspicious-looking person in the hoodie down at the coffee shop can’t monitor your online travels.
Plus, since it blocks your ISP from monitoring your online activities, that means it’ll prevent your ISP from throttling or blocking your connection simply because you’re engaging in “unapproved” activities, such as P2P file sharing.
Multiple Devices VPN FAQs
How Many Devices Does NordVPN Cover?
NordVPN allows you to connect up to 6 devices simultaneously on one account. The provider offers native apps for iOS, macOS, Windows, Android, Linux, Amazon Fire and Android TV devices, as well as compatibility with multiple makes and models of routers.
What Is the Best Free VPN for Multiple Devices?
A free VPN is not a good option for protecting multiple devices, or for doing anything at all. Not only do free VPNs throttle connection speeds, impose data caps and make you wait in a queue, but they also often track and sell your data to interested third parties. Stick to paid VPNs for the best experience and privacy protection.
Which VPN Offers the Most Simultaneous Connections?
There are two contenders on our list that offer unlimited simultaneous connections: Surfshark and IPVanish. Check out these two VPNs if you need to cover as many devices as possible simultaneously.
In this always-connected world, it’s just smart to ensure that all of your connected devices are protected. By using a VPN, you’ll ensure your online activities are protected from prying eyes, while also opening up access to a world of online content you might normally never be able to enjoy.
A VPN – like my #1 choice, NordVPN – offers reliable protection for all of your connected devices (up to 6 devices at one time), while offering speedy and comprehensive access to content from almost anywhere in the world. The provider does an excellent job of delivering a well-protected internet connection, ensuring that your private online activities stay private.
For more information or to purchase a subscription, visit the NordVPN website.
- How Can a VPN Help?
- How to Use a VPN on Multiple Devices
- Best VPNs for Multiple Devices
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. Private Internet Access
- 6. PrivateVPN
- 7. Atlas VPN
- Methodology for Assessing VPNs for Multiple Devices
- Can I Use a Free VPN on All of My Devices?
- What Can I Use a VPN For?
- Multiple Devices VPN FAQs
- How Many Devices Does NordVPN Cover?
- What Is the Best Free VPN for Multiple Devices?
- Which VPN Offers the Most Simultaneous Connections?