Whenever you connect to your VPN provider, your real IP address on the internet is temporarily replaced with a new one, assigned to you by the VPN server to which you connect. That IP address can vary according to which location and which server you are connected to.
If you luck out and connect to the same server each time, your VPN-assigned IP address may remain the same.
However, the chances are better that you’ll receive a different IP address each time. (Most providers have more than one VPN server in a specific location, and each VPN server supplies a unique IP address to users when they connect.)
The IP address you normally receive from a VPN server is a shared IP address. That means that every user who is connected to that server receives the same internet-facing IP address.
This provides additional anonymity to your internet activities and also offers protection against Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks, as there is no way to trace any online activity back to a single user.
Some VPN providers also offer what is known as a Dedicated IP (also known as a Static IP) as an add-on. If you opt for a dedicated IP address, your device will be assigned a specific IP address that will not be shared with any other users. You will receive that IP address each time you connect to your VPN provider.
Not all VPN providers offer a dedicated or static IP option. In fact, most of the VPN providers I have tested over the years do not offer the option.
In this article, I’ll share with you information about VPN providers that do offer the option, as well as top-notch service in all other VPN categories.
How to Choose the Best VPN for a Dedicated IP Address
The following 5 VPNs have proven to offer the best dedicated IP address service. If you have to be somewhere and don’t have a lot of time, here’s a TL;DR summary:
- NordVPN: This bargain-priced VPN offers dedicated IP addresses in 4 countries around the world. The provider keeps both dedicated and shared IP address connections well protected via military-grade encryption.
- PureVPN: This provider offers dedicated IP VPN servers in 8 countries. PureVPN’s native app support is above average, and its connection protection is among the best.
- CyberGhost: Novice VPN users will appreciate this provider’s dedicated IP servers, even though connecting to them will cost them $5 more per month. Up to 7 devices can connect simultaneously using the same set of login credentials.
- VPN Unlimited: This provider offers static IP addresses in 7 countries. Unfortunately, the option adds $12.50 per month to your annual subscription. The provider’s excellent native app offerings even include an app for Windows Phone devices.
- Windscribe: This VPN offers static IP addresses for an additional fee of $2.00 – $8.00 per month, depending on the type of static IP you opt for. Windscribe’s support features include a Windscribe subreddit.
When researching VPNs that offer shared or dedicated IP addresses, look for the following attributes:
- A large number of IP address locations to choose from
- Reliable access to content
- Fast download speeds
- Military-level encryption
- No logs
- Top-notch customer support
- Excellent native app support
Here’s my list of the top 5 VPNs for a dedicated IP address.
NordVPN offers a dedicated IP VPN service in addition to their standard dynamic IP address services. When users opt for the dedicated IP address, they no longer share the IP address with other users. The dedicated IP address is assigned to a single user.
A dedicated IP address is an additional $70 per year ($5.83 per month) over the price of the provider’s regular annual subscription rate.
The provider offers dedicated IP addresses in these locations: the United States, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands and Germany (a total of 86 servers). Whenever a dedicated IP user logs in, they are assigned the same IP address every time.
However, dedicated IP users can also connect to any of the shared IP servers located around the globe. This provides flexibility for the times when your online activities can benefit from the added anonymity of a shared IP.
NordVPN provides connection speeds that are easily capable of handling most online activities, including any tasks for which you might require a dedicated IP address.
The provider keeps both dedicated and shared IP address connections well protected via military-grade encryption.
None of your online activities are ever recorded thanks to the service’s strict no-logs policy. If you sign up for the service using a disposable email address, you can also use Bitcoin to pay your subscription tab, making your VPN subscription completely anonymous.
Thanks to 24/7 support chat, email support, and a searchable support library, NordVPN’s support folk are always available if you require aid.
App support includes native apps for Android, Android TV, iOS, macOS, Windows, and Linux devices. Firefox and Chrome browser extensions are also available. Router support is available for various makes and models.
- 86 dedicated IP servers in 4 countries
- Fast connection speeds
- Reliable access
- Comprehensive privacy and security features
- No blanket kill switch protection
BEST DEDICATED IP VPN:NordVPN is the best option for VPN users who require a dedicated IP address. The service provides reliable service, and top-notch privacy protection and customer service. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of NordVPN.
In addition to its shared IP address VPN servers in 140+ countries, PureVPN offers dedicated IP VPN servers in 8 countries (the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, Malta, Hong Kong, Australia, and Singapore).
The provider’s additional charge for a dedicated IP address is an additional $1.99 per month over the price of their regular annual subscription rate.
PureVPN users who opt for the dedicated IP server option can still connect to the provider’s over 2,000 servers around the globe. This provides added flexibility for online activities that won’t benefit from a dedicated IP.
PureVPN delivers reliable, fast access to the internet. Those fast connections are protected with government-grade encryption and kill switch protection. The provider keeps no logs of any kind and happily accepts Bitcoin to keep your payment information incognito.
Customer support is available around the clock, with 24/7 live chat, a searchable knowledge base and a trouble ticket tracking system.
App support is well represented here, with apps for the Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV and Linux platforms. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available, as is a DD-WRT router applet and support for other brands of routers.
- Low price – Only $1.99 extra per month for dedicated IP
- Better-than-average global server coverage
- Well-located dedicated IP servers
- Excellent privacy and security protection
- 1-month subscriptions are expensive
BEST FOR USERS ON A BUDGET:PureVPN offers an attractive option for VPN users on a budget who are in need of a dedicated IP address. At a mere $1.99 per month over the cost of their regular VPN service, PureVPN is the best budget option on this list. A 31-day money-back guarantee is available. (That’s 1 day longer than 30, isn’t it?)
Read my full review of PureVPN.
CyberGhost offers dedicated IP VPN service in 3 countries (the United Kingdom, France, and Germany) for an extra $5 per month over the cost of their regular VPN service. Users must select the location of the dedicated IP address at the time of purchase.
CyberGhost is a well-known VPN provider, with an excellent reputation for reliable, protected access to the internet.
This provider’s connection speeds are some of the fastest around, delivering more than enough performance for any of your favorite online activities. There are never any data caps or bandwidth restrictions imposed upon CyberGhost customers.
Those reliable connections are well-protected thanks to military-level encryption. A strict no-logs policy means there are no records of CyberGhost customers’ online antics, and the Bitcoin payment option keeps your subscription payment info undercover.
Around-the-clock support includes 24/7 live support chat, an easy-to-use support ticket system, and a searchable support library.
Native app support includes easy-to-use apps for the macOS, Linux, Windows, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV platforms. Browser extensions are available for the Chrome and Firefox platforms.
The provider’s extensive router compatibility provides unlimited device connections if CyberGhost’s 7 concurrent connections allowance chafes.
- Provider has an excellent reputation
- Plenty of speed
- Security and privacy are well protected
- Simple-to-use apps
- Requires selecting IP location during signup
BEST FOR BEGINNERS:CyberGhost is the best choice for beginning VPN users who are in need of a static IP address. The provider’s connection speeds are some of the best in the business. 24/7 support is the icing on the cake. 45-day, no-risk money-back guarantee.
Read my full review of CyberGhost.
VPN Unlimited offers static IP addresses in 7 countries (Canada, Germany, France, India, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, and the United States). The option adds $12.50 per month to your annual subscription.
The provider delivers reliable, protected access to the internet, with connection speeds that can handle nearly anything you throw at them.
Those connections are protected by military-grade encryption. VPN Unlimited protects your privacy with a strict no-logs policy, and it accepts Bitcoin to protect your subscription payment information.
Customer support consists of live chat support (not 24/7), a contact form, email support, and searchable FAQ and Manuals areas.
Native app support includes apps for the iOS, Android, macOS, Windows, Linux, and Windows Phone platforms. Chrome, Firefox and Opera browser extensions are also available.
- Static IP addresses available in 7 countries
- Excellent app coverage
- No-logs policy
- Static IP add-on priced higher than those of other providers
- Live support chat isn’t 24/7
STATIC IP COVERAGE IN 7 COUNTRIES:VPN Unlimited offers static IPs in 7 countries, providing unrestricted access to services in those countries. While the provider has a good reputation for reliable service, it’s priced higher than other providers on this list. A 7-day, no-risk money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of VPN Unlimited.
Windscribe offers static IP addresses for an additional fee of $2.00 – $8.00 per month in addition to your regular VPN service. (More about that later.)
The provider says it doesn’t offer dedicated IP addresses that only a single user can access, due to privacy risks.
A single static IP is used by a handful of customers, and the option is intended to offer a user the same IP address each time they connect, to allow port forwarding, to avoid blacklists, and to protect access to secure resources for greater security.
The provider offers two types of static IP addresses.
The first ($2.00 per month) uses a data center IP address. The second option, which will run you $8.00 per month, gives you an IP address that has been registered as a residential IP address.
The company says the residential IP address option offers improved access to geo-restricted services (like Netflix) that are known to block commercially-used (data center) IP addresses.
These addresses are spread between 7 countries – the United States, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Germany, France, Switzerland, and Canada.
Windscribe delivers fast download speeds. Those swift connections are protected with banking-level encryption and a kill switch. The provider has a strict no-logs policy, so no evidence of your online antics is ever available, and cryptocurrency is accepted for additional privacy protection.
Customer support consists of live support chat (not 24/7), a trouble ticket system, searchable setup guides, and a knowledge base. A rather unusual support feature is also available: a Windscribe subreddit.
Apps are available for the macOS, Windows, iOS, Android, and even Linux platforms. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available.
- Two types of static IPs available
- Fast connection speeds
- Reddit subreddit facilitates discussion
- Device support is limited to the big 5
- Money-back guarantee is only 3 days
GREAT FOR STREAMING FANS:Windscribe is a great option for users looking for static IP VPN to protect their daily browsing sessions and deliver reliable access to streaming services. A 3-day money-back guarantee is available.
For more information, visit the Windscribe website.
My Methodology for Assessing VPNs for Best Static IP & Dedicated IP
Not all VPNs offer static IP addresses and dedicated IP addresses. Luckily, there are some reliable VPN providers that do offer these options.
The VPN features listed below are those that I research to determine the top VPN providers to provide static IPs and dedicated IPs:
- Static IPs and Dedicated IPs: Sure, this is a “duh” point. However, make sure the provider does offer dedicated or static IP addresses. Not all providers offer this option.
- Server Network: The size of a provider’s global server network is an important thing to keep in mind when considering a VPN. The larger a global server network is, the more access to the content in other countries around the globe. Plus, a large number of servers in a country lessens the load that is being placed on VPN servers, providing better server performance throughout the network.
- Connection Speed: If you’re paying for a dedicated or static IP, chances are you’re conducting business or other speed-sensitive activities online. Never subscribe to a VPN that throttles your connections or inflicts data caps on your usage.
- Value: The value of any VPN provider can be calculated by comparing the provider’s feature set to how much it charges for its services. If a VPN charges a premium price but doesn’t offer premium services, forget about it. All of the providers I recommend offer good value for your money.
- Ease of Use: Ease of use is an important consideration for many users, as they simply want to make a few clicks or taps to enable online protection and to grab their static or dedicated IP address. The providers I recommend provide easy-to-use apps for most popular platforms, browser extensions, and router support.
- Security and Privacy: Never settle for a VPN that doesn’t protect its customers’ connections with government-grade encryption, a kill switch, and other online security and privacy protections. Award bonus points for extra features like malware and virus protection, and ad blocking. Don’t both with any VPN that doesn’t follow a strict “no logs” policy.
Check out more information about my VPN testing methodology.
What’s the Difference Between Dynamic and Static IP Addresses?
Your residential Internet Service Provider (ISP) likely makes use of a dynamic IP addressing scheme.
When a service uses dynamic IP addressing, each time a user connects to the ISP’s network, they receive a different IP address. (Cable, DSL, and fiber network subscribers will keep their address for as long as they stay connected to the service, or until their “lease” on the IP address expires.)
ISPs generally don’t use a dynamic IP address scheme for their business internet users, instead giving business users a static IP address.
A static IP address remains the same, no matter how many times you reconnect or how long you’re connected. This allows business users to run their own web servers and file servers, which require using a consistent internet address.
Most VPN providers also use dynamic IP addresses. Most VPN providers only own a small number of addresses to be used with each of their VPN servers. These addresses are assigned at random when each customer connects, meaning it is likely that users will not receive the same IP address twice.
A shared static IP address can service multiple users but guarantees the user will receive the same IP address each and every time they connect to the VPN server.
Meanwhile, a dedicated IP address from a VPN provider is assigned to one, and only one, user. Whenever that user connects to the VPN server, they will receive that IP address. This provides numerous advantages, as listed below.
Benefits of a Dedicated IP Address From a VPN Service
There are several advantages to using a dedicated IP address from a VPN.
- You Won’t Be Banned From Websites For Other Users’ Sins
If you’re not sharing an IP address with other users, you won’t be banned from websites, online games and other services because of other users’ inappropriate antics. (Streaming services like Netflix will also block VPN access if they notice multiple users connecting from the same IP address.)
- Sites Will Never Block You Due to an Unrecognized IP Address
Some websites and services check your IP address when you log in. They do this as a security precaution. Sites that do this can include banking and other financial sites, as well as business-related online applications set up for use by employees and clients.
If your IP address is different from a previous login attempt, they may require you to jump through a series of identity confirmation hoops before allowing you to connect. (These can include CAPTCHAs, Two-Factor Authentication checks, and various other security measures.)
Obtaining a static IP from your VPN provider means you’ll be able to protect your internet connection, but you’ll always show the same outward-facing IP address.
- You’re Able to Run an FTP or HTTP Server on Your Home or Business Internet Connection
A dedicated IP allows you to run an FTP server to allow file uploading and downloading of files, or a web server on your computer (to run a website), using the same IP address every time.
Plus, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) can’t tell what you’re doing. (Most ISPs ban the use of your home internet connection for FTP servers and web servers – unless you pay extra, of course.)
In the interest of full disclosure, it should also be noted that there are also disadvantages to dedicated IPs compared to dynamic IPs. They include:
- An additional fee, over and above what you already pay for VPN service.
- Less anonymity, as the dedicated IP identifies only one user: you.
- Increased vulnerability to DDoS attacks, because you are the sole user of the IP address and may be easier to target.
VPN users who have need of a static or dedicated IP address are strongly recommended to take a closer look at the services that NordVPN offers.
NordVPN offers reliable, well-protected connections, which offer speeds up to just about any of your online activities. The provider’s price for a dedicated IP address is one of the most reliable in the industry. Their dedicated IP service is available in 4 countries around the globe.
For more information or to subscribe, visit the NordVPN website.
Static IP & Dedicated IP FAQs
What Are the Benefits of a VPN With Static IP?
A VPN with static IP addresses helps prevent you from being blacklisted due to another user's actions, which can happen with a shared IP address. It also allows the use of certain financial and business apps or sites that require a constant IP address.
Does a Static IP Address or a Dedicated IP Address Cost an Additional Fee?
Yes, most VPN's that offer static IPs and dedicated IPs do charge an additional fee. Check with your VPN provider for more details.
- How to Choose the Best VPN for a Dedicated IP Address
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. PureVPN
- 3. CyberGhost
- 4. VPN Unlimited
- 5. Windscribe
- My Methodology for Assessing VPNs for Best Static IP & Dedicated IP
- What’s the Difference Between Dynamic and Static IP Addresses?
- Benefits of a Dedicated IP Address From a VPN Service
- In Conclusion
- Static IP & Dedicated IP FAQs
- What Are the Benefits of a VPN With Static IP?
- Does a Static IP Address or a Dedicated IP Address Cost an Additional Fee?