Disney’s streaming television service, Disney+, was originally launched in the United States, Canada, and the Netherlands. The service has continued to grow, expanding to Australia, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, India, Africa, Western Asia, and throughout Europe since then.
However, until then, you may be “Frozen” out of all of that Disney goodness if you’re not currently in one of the countries listed above (yes, the service is geo-controlled, just like Netflix and other services). Even when the service expands, it’s almost guaranteed that content will be different from country to country, due to the laws and moral beliefs in each country.
Can a VPN Help Me to Watch Disney+ Content?
Luckily, you can bust through the House of the Mouse’s content fencing by making use of a security tool you may already have in your arsenal, a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
A VPN can make it appear as if you’re in one of the Disney+ launch day countries by spoofing your IP address, tricking Disney into opening their content vault for viewing on your favorite device.
In addition to opening access to Disney+, a VPN also encrypts your connection, keeping your online activities safe from prying eyes. It also prevents your ISP, employer, or school from blocking access or throttling your connection speeds when you attempt to access your favorite online content.
When you’re considering VPNs to provide reliable access to Disney+ and other streaming services, consider the following: plenty of servers around the globe that provide reliable unblocking of blocked services, fast download speeds with no data caps, and comprehensive multi-platform support.
Here are the seven best VPNs to use with Disney+.
Best VPNs for Watching Disney+
After extensive testing, these seven VPNs proved to work best for providing access to Disney+:
- NordVPN: Top VPN for Disney+. NordVPN is the best option for folks who want to get the absolute most value from their Disney+ subscription. This provider’s download speeds are the fastest on this list, easily handling Disney’s HD and 4K streams. Includes a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Budget+ VPN for Disney+. This budget-priced provider does a reliable job unblocking Disney+ and other streaming services. Its fast download speeds mean the provider is 4K-ready. Plus, everyone can watch their favorite shows thanks to the provider’s unlimited connections policy.
- ExpressVPN: Premium VPN for Disney+. This provider delivers reliable access to Disney+. The provider’s extensive global server network provides access to blocked content around the world, while its fast download speeds can easily handle the 4K content that Disney+ offers.
- CyberGhost: Great VPN option for rookies. This is the best option for new VPN users looking for an easy-to-use VPN app that provides reliable and speedy access to Disney+. The provider offers streaming-enhanced servers for many streaming sites.
- Private Internet Access (PIA): Reliable Disney+ access. PIA delivers reliable access to Disney+ and numerous other geo-controlled streaming services. PIA’s protected connections keep your online activities undercover.
- PrivateVPN: Small but mighty. This provider is reasonably new on the scene and still has a bit of growing up to do. However, PrivateVPN does offer fast connections and reliable access to Disney+ and other streaming services in the U.S. and other countries.
- Atlas VPN: Unlimited Disney+ access. Atlas VPN puts no limits on your usage. This means the only viewing limits you’ll ever have to deal with are ones imposed by Disney+.
I evaluated and ranked the top Disney+ VPNs using the following criteria:
- Unblocks Disney+ and other popular streaming services
- Has servers located around the globe
- Offers reliable connections, fast enough for HD & 4K Disney+ streams
- Provides comprehensive privacy and security protections
- Offers wide-ranging native app support
- Delivers top-notch customer support
For more information about the criteria I used, you can take a look at the methodology testing section found further down this article.
Here’s my list of the top seven VPNs to provide access to Disney+:
NordVPN is the #1 VPN option for users who are looking to get the most out of the extensive Disney+ library of content.
The provider has just under 5,500 servers located in nearly 60 countries around the globe. Those servers deliver reliable access to Disney+ and other streaming services worldwide.
NordVPN’s download speeds are some of the fastest I saw in recent rounds of testing. The provider can easily handle Disney’s 1080p and 4K streams, and you’ll never have to worry about a daily or monthly data cap.
Privacy is never a worry thanks to NordVPN’s total no-logs policy. A Bitcoin payment option keeps your payment information under wraps.
NordVPN’s server network provides additional privacy protection, thanks to its owned-and-operated servers, which keep outside contractors away from customers’ personal information. Plus, the provider’s entire global server network is made up of servers run 100% from RAM, writing no data of any kind to a physical hard drive. This means all data is securely wiped when a NordVPN server is shut off or rebooted.
App support from NordVPN includes macOS (with native support for M1/M2 Macs), Windows, Linux, iOS, Android, and Android TV apps. Chrome, Edge, and Firefox browser extensions are also available, as is top-notch router compatibility to protect all of your other devices. You can connect up to six devices simultaneously.
Customer support is available around the clock, with 24/7 live chat, email support, and a searchable support library all available.
- HD- & 4K-capable Disney+ connections
- Comprehensive global server coverage
- Attractive pricing
- Top-notch security and privacy
- Fastest connections on this list
- Streaming servers are not labeled
BEST VPN OPTION FOR DISNEY+:NordVPN is the top VPN option on this list for Disney+ viewers who are looking for excellent VPN protection and enhancement. The provider’s fast connections and excellent unblocking power makes it a popular option for streamers. If you opt for the Mouse’s annual subscription plan, you’ll probably like NordVPN’s extended subscription plan pricing. A risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of NordVPN.
Surfshark fills the 2nd spot on this list thanks to its reliable Disney+ access, bargain basement pricing, and impressive unlimited connections allowance.
The provider’s network of 3,200+ servers in 95+ countries offers reliable unblocking power for many streaming services, Disney+ included.
Connection speed is strong with this one, providing more than enough speed for the 4K streams that Disney+ and other streaming providers deliver. And you’ll never end up being “Frozen” out of the fun, as the provider never imposes “Goofy” data caps.
Security from this provider is Jedi-level, offering great protection from the dark side of the web, thanks to its handy kill switch protection, military-grade encryption, ad and malware blocking, and more. MultiHop routes your internet connection through two VPN servers, providing double anonymity.
Privacy is never an issue either thanks to the provider’s no-logs policy and acceptance of Bitcoin.
App support includes offerings for iOS, Android, Android TV, Linux, macOS (with native Apple Silicon support), Windows, and Amazon Fire platforms. Chrome, Edge, and Firefox browser extensions are also available. Router support and the provider’s SmartDNS offer open access to Disney+ on the rest of your devices.
The provider is somewhat unusual in that it has no limit on the number of simultaneous connections it allows on a single set of user credentials. That means the entire roster of Marvel’s Superheroes could have been protected, maybe not from a snap of Thanos’ fingers, but from other bad guys.
Customer support includes a searchable support library, a contact form, and not-24/7 live support chat.
- Reliable access to Disney+ and other services
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Excellent security and privacy protections
- Bargain-basement pricing
- Fast connections
- No 24/7 live support chat availability
PERFECT FOR BUDGET-MINDED FAMILIES:Surfshark offers excellent access to Disney+, as well as other popular streaming services. The provider’s fast-growing global server network provides good access to numerous streaming sites. An unlimited concurrent connection allowance is a great feature for large families or The Avengers. The provider’s multi-year subscription options are a true bargain. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read my full review of Surfshark.
ExpressVPN provides reliable access to Disney+, as well as all-around VPN protection and enhancement.
This provider’s global server network offers reliable access to Disney+, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and other streaming services. Over 3,000 servers located in 94+ countries around the globe provide access to blocked content nearly anywhere in the free world.
ExpressVPN delivers fast download speeds, providing no-data-cap connections that can easily handle the demands of Disney’s HD and 4K content streams.
All of your online activities are kept undercover thanks to the provider’s banking-grade encryption and kill switch, IPv6 leak and DNS leak protections. Your privacy is also well-protected thanks to the provider’s no-logs policy and its ready acceptance of Bitcoin in return for its impressive services.
The provider also runs all of its servers using its proprietary TrustedServer technology, which runs all server operations only from volatile RAM, writing no data whatsoever to an actual hard drive or SSD. This ensures that all server data is securely and completely wiped each time an ExpressVPN server is shut down or rebooted.
Disney+ is available on most popular device platforms and so is ExpressVPN. Native apps are available for macOS (now with native Apple Silicon support), iOS, Android, Android TV, Windows, Linux, and Amazon Fire devices. Chrome, Edge, and Firefox browser extensions are available to protect in-browser viewing sessions.
Router coverage helps protect all of your other connected devices. Up to five concurrent connections are allowed.
ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer DNS service provides access to Disney+ on streaming devices like Apple TV, game consoles, and Smart TVs. (Be warned: MediaStreamer doesn’t encrypt your connection like the provider’s VPN service does.)
Around-the-clock customer support is available thanks to 24/7 chat, a support ticket tracking system, email support, and a searchable support library.
- Easily handles HD and 4K video streams
- Around-the-clock customer support
- Excellent all-around security and privacy protections
- Top-notch app support
- More expensive than many other VPNs
VERSATILE VPN PROTECTION:ExpressVPN is an attractive way to access Disney+ and other streaming services around the globe. The provider’s extensive global server network delivers fast, 4K-capable connection speeds, while keeping your online activities undercover. While the provider is admittedly more expensive than some comparable providers, a 30-day money-back guarantee takes the risk out of trying it.
Read my full review of ExpressVPN.
CyberGhost offers reliable, easy-to-master apps that deliver comprehensive access to Disney+ and other streaming services, all without requiring complicated customizations.
The provider’s 8,800+ servers, located in 90+ countries, provide plenty of content-unblocking power for Disney+ and similar streaming services.
CyberGhost’s connection speeds provide reliable streaming of Disney’s HD and 4K content, and the provider never pulls a Scrooge McDuck by imposing data caps or bandwidth limitations to spoil the fun.
Government-grade encryption, along with IPv6 and DNS leak prevention and the ability to block ads, malicious websites, and online tackers, provides all-around connection protection. A strict “no logs on the server” policy and a Bitcoin payment option have you protected on the privacy side of things.
Native app support is available for Android, Android TV, iOS, macOS, Linux, Windows, and Amazon Fire devices. Plus, browser extensions are available for the Chrome and Firefox platforms. The provider’s excellent router feature will protect other devices, and you can have up to seven devices connected at once.
Customer support is well represented with 24/7 live chat, a support ticket tracking system, and an easy-to-search support library.
- Reliably access Disney+ and many other streaming services
- Smooth HD and 4K streaming
- Easy-to-use apps
- Top-notch privacy and security protections
- Apps lack the options preferred by experienced users
BEST FOR FIRST-TIME VPN USERS:CyberGhost should prove to be an attractive choice for newbie VPN users. The provider’s easy-to-use apps offer reliable access to Disney+ and other services. Fast connection speeds are a plus too. 45-day, no-risk money-back guarantee included.
Read my full review of CyberGhost.
Private Internet Access (PIA) provides reliable access to Disney+ and other streaming services.
PIA’s above-average global server network is made up of more than 3,300 servers based in over 80 countries. The network provides reliable access to Disney+, Netflix, and other streaming services around the globe.
The provider offers native app support for most popular devices, including Android, Android TV, iOS, Windows, macOS, and Linux devices. Chrome, Opera, and Firefox browser extensions are also available. The provider is also compatible with multiple router makes and models, keeping all of your connected devices well protected.
Up to 10 devices can be concurrently connected using a single set of login credentials.
By no stretch of the imagination are PIA’s connection speeds the fastest around. However, they are more than up to handling your favorite online activities. No data caps or bandwidth throttling to spoil the fun here.
PIA customer connections are well-protected, thanks to its use of banking-grade encryption, IP/DNS leak prevention, and a kill switch. Blocking for ads, trackers, malware, and dangerous websites are available.
Its servers save no type of usage logs, and PIA accepts Bitcoin as subscription payment, providing privacy protection for both your usage and payment information. (Pro Tip: Use a disposable email address to subscribe when paying with Bitcoin to add an additional layer of payment anonymity.)
PIA customer support options include a live chat option, a trouble ticket form, and a searchable support library.
- Access to Disney+ and other popular streaming services
- Comprehensive privacy and security protections
- No data cap restrictions or bandwidth throttling
- No streaming-enhanced servers in app
- Doesn’t work well in some restrictive regions
RELIABLE ACCESS TO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF DISNEY+:Private Internet Access boasts an above-average-sized global server network that provides well-protected, fast, and reliable access to Disney+ and other streamers. Fast connections mean enjoyable streaming binges. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
PrivateVPN is a fairly recent addition to the VPN ranks, and as such, has a way to go to catch up. However, the provider already provides excellent service in many important categories.
While a global server network consisting of 200+ servers spread thinly among close to 65 countries doesn’t exactly scream “comprehensive coverage,” the provider has done an admirable job placing what it has to work with. The provider has the U.S., Canada, and the Netherlands covered.
PrivateVPN’s download speeds are impressive and are more than up to the challenge of smoothly streaming Disney+’s HD and 4K streams. No data caps to be found here.
Government-grade encryption protects your online activities, along with kill switch and auto-reconnect features. IPv6 and DNS leaks are no worry, and a proprietary “Stealth VPN” feature helps hide your VPN activity. PrivateVPN follows a strict no-logs policy and accepts Bitcoin.
PrivateVPN app support is limited to the four most popular platforms (iOS, Android, macOS, and Windows), but instructions for using their service with Linux devices and a large number of routers are available. No browser extensions are available. Up to six simultaneous connections are allowed per username.
PrivateVPN includes live support chat, which the provider claims to be available 24/7, but has proven to only be staffed at random times of the day. A “Contact Us” form and a non-searchable “FAQ” help section are also available.
- Reliable access to Disney+ and other streamers
- 4K-capable download speeds
- Up to six simultaneous connections
- Server numbers definitely lacking
- 24/7 customer support chat isn’t always available
FAST SPEEDS FOR ADVANCED USERS:Experienced VPN users should appreciate this VPN service’s advanced protection options, especially users who don’t mind a global server network that’s experiencing some growing pains. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read my full review of PrivateVPN.
Atlas VPN delivers fast access to Disney+ and other geo-fenced streaming services, as well as other types of geo-controlled content.
The provider’s global server network, which includes 750+ servers in over 40 countries around the globe, isn’t the largest server network on this list. However, its servers provide reliable access to content in the areas where it has its servers located.
Those servers provide well-above average connection speeds, delivering more than enough no-throttling bandwidth for streaming and other popular online pastimes. No data caps to be found here.
Atlas VPN uses banking-grade encryption, automatic kill switch protection, IP/DNS leak prevention, and more to keep your online travels incognito. Optional Safebrowse and Safebrowse Plus features block online browsing perils and those pesky ads.
Its servers save no user tracking logs whatsoever. Unfortunately, a cryptocurrency payment option is not available.
Android, iOS, macOS, Windows, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV apps are available. However, there is no native support for Linux, browser extensions, or routers. The provider assures users that all three are in development.
Atlas VPN places no limit on the number of devices that can be simultaneously connected to its servers on a single user account.
Live agent chat is available, but only to paying customers. Email, a contact form, and a support library are available to all.
- Provides access to Disney+ and other streamers
- Fast download speeds
- Well-protected connections
- Live chat is available only to paying customers
- No browser extensions, router, or native Linux support
- Global server coverage could stand a bump
UNLIMITED ACCESS IS A (DISNEY) PLUS:Atlas VPN provides reliable access to Disney+ and multiple other streamers. Users can connect an unlimited number of devices at once. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of Atlas VPN.
Methodology for Assessing “Free” VPNs for Disney+
Let’s face it, not all VPN service providers offer reliable access to Disney+. Here are the important features you should research when deciding on which VPN is the best for Disney+:
- Connection speeds: To have a truly enjoyable streaming experience, you require a fast, throttle-free, no-data cap connection. All of the VPNs on my list offer fast connection speeds.
- Server network: Disney+ is available in multiple countries around the globe, so you’ll want to look for a VPN with a large server network. Also, it’s a bonus if a VPN provider has more than one server in each country it serves, as this helps prevent individual servers from being overwhelmed with too many users.
- Value: Any VPN provider worth its salt will offer a good return on investment. I recommend only VPNs that offer good value and at least a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Ease of use: VPNs should be easy to use, providing a quick start to binging your favorite shows. Also, VPNs should support multiple devices, allowing you to enjoy Disney+ on your favorite devices.
- Security and privacy: A VPN should offer, at the very least, banking-level encryption, an automatic kill switch, and DNS/IP leak protection, if not more. The VPNs I recommend offer all of the above. They also never save user logs recording your online antics.
- Streaming: VPNs should provide access to popular video streaming providers. Each VPN on my list offers reliable access to Disney+ and other streaming services, including Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and more.
Evaluating the factors above are just a small part of my comprehensive VPN testing methodology. My data-driven research provides a better understanding of each VPN and its services, allowing me to recommend only those that are a good fit for your needs.
How to Use a VPN to Unblock Disney+
It’s easy to use a VPN to unblock Disney+:
- First, subscribe to a VPN.
- Install the provider’s VPN app(s) to your favorite device(s).
- Connect to a server in a country where Disney+ is available.
- Enjoy the show!
Is a Free VPN a Good Option to Use With Disney+?
Attempting to use a free VPN to access Disney+ really is something only Goofy would try. Honestly, no free VPN will prove to be a reliable way to access the new streaming service.
First off, most streaming services have become adept at detecting VPN usage on their servers. When they detect a VPN server connection, they block that server’s IP address.
Then it’s up to the VPN provider to set up a new server with a new IP address. This can get expensive. A free VPN provider is simply not going to have the resources to play this game for very long.
Most freebie VPNs restrict their users to a limited number of servers. There’s a good chance that the servers you have a choice of (or are automatically assigned to) won’t be in a good location to provide access to Disney+.
Even if you do luck out, many free VPNs throttle their users’ connection speeds and place a daily or monthly data cap on their usage. None of this is a good thing for watching streaming services.
Sans-cost VPNs also do a lousy job of protecting you from the dark side of the internet. Many “free” VPNs pay their bills by tracking their users’ online travels, then selling that info to the highest bidder.
Others have been found to be injecting unwanted ads and tracking cookies into their users’ browser sessions. And those cookies stick around, even after you disconnect from the VPN provider’s servers.
A year’s worth of quality VPN service will cost you less than Disneyland T-shirts for a family of four, so pay the money – you’ll be glad you did.
What Can I Watch on Disney+?
When you think Disney, the first thing that comes to mind is likely Mickey and Minnie Mouse and maybe the Frozen or Toy Story franchises.
While those are certainly available for viewing on the Disney+ service, there’s so much more content available.
You can watch:
- The library of animated and live-action Disney films, spanning nearly 100 years
- Original film and television productions made especially for Disney+
- Lucasfilm/Star Wars films and television shows
- Marvel shows and films
- Pixar shows and films
- National Geographic shows and films
- The Muppets
- The Simpsons
- And much more.
In addition, ESPN+ and Hulu are available as part of an expanded bundle deal.
What Else Is a VPN Good For?
While accessing Disney+ (as well as other streaming services) is the object of this article, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the other advantages a Virtual Private Network offers.
In addition to streaming services, a VPN offers access to gaming servers, peer-to-peer file sharing, websites, and other services that might normally be blocked by your ISP, school, employer, or government.
Plus, a VPN can prevent your ISP from throttling your connection speeds, which ISPs sometimes do simply because you’re streaming or downloading files from an “unapproved” source.
A VPN is also an excellent tool to protect your online identity and all of the sensitive information associated with that identity.
A VPN encases your internet connection in an Iron Man-like layer of encrypted protection, preventing other users on the net from detecting or monitoring your online activities. This is a perfect way to protect yourself when you’re connecting to a public WiFi hotspot.
Disney+ VPN FAQs
Is It Legal to Use a VPN for Disney+?
Yes, it is completely legal to use a VPN to access Disney+. That said, the streaming provider could block your VPN-provided IP address, meaning you'll need to use a reliable VPN provider (like ExpressVPN), that will quickly restore Disney Plus VPN access by creating new IP addresses.
Can I Unblock Disney+ From Abroad?
Yes, by using a quality VPN provider with proven access to streaming services, you have an excellent chance of unblocking the Disney+ service, and enjoying their massive content library.
Can I Get a Refund if My VPN Doesn't Work With Disney+?
All of the VPN providers in this top seven VPN for Disney+ list offer a money-back guarantee. Be sure to check with your provider to see how long the money-back guarantee is good for. Most providers offer at least 30 days to try their service, but some offer as little as three days.
If you currently live in a region where Disney+ isn’t yet available, or will be traveling to a region where it isn’t yet available, I strongly recommend subscribing to a VPN service.
A reliable VPN – such as my #1 choice, NordVPN – provides reliable access to Disney+ and other streaming services, while offering optimal protection for all of your online activities.
NordVPN provides the most reliable access to the Disney+ library of streaming content from outside the usual Disney territories. The provider offers comprehensive global server coverage, fast connection speeds, and optimal security and privacy protections, all for a reasonable cost.
For more information or to purchase a subscription, visit NordVPN.
- Can a VPN Help Me to Watch Disney+ Content?
- Best VPNs for Watching Disney+
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. Private Internet Access
- 6. PrivateVPN
- 7. Atlas VPN
- Methodology for Assessing “Free” VPNs for Disney+
- How to Use a VPN to Unblock Disney+
- Is a Free VPN a Good Option to Use With Disney+?
- What Can I Watch on Disney+?
- What Else Is a VPN Good For?
- Disney+ VPN FAQs
- Is It Legal to Use a VPN for Disney+?
- Can I Unblock Disney+ From Abroad?
- Can I Get a Refund if My VPN Doesn't Work With Disney+?