Amazon Prime Video (or “Prime Video”) is retail giant Amazon’s entry into the streaming video industry. While Prime Video was initially limited to viewers in 5 countries, including the United States and the United Kingdom, the service is now available nearly worldwide.
However, because of the archaic contracts that Amazon Prime Video signs with TV and movie studios, your favorite show from the U.S. version of the service might not be available in the United Kingdom.
Luckily, there’s an easy-to-use tool that provides access to the various versions of Prime Video, no matter where you’re located: a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
A VPN is arguably the best tool available for accessing content on the Amazon Prime Video service from other regions. A VPN does this by giving your device a new IP address, making it appear as if you are located in another country. This opens access to the country’s Prime Video content.
In this article, I’ll share information about 5 VPN services that have an excellent ability to unblock Amazon Prime Video (and other streaming services).
I’ll focus on each VPN’s ability to provide reliable access to Prime Video content in other countries, and the connection speeds that each provider offers. I’ll also cover other features that make a VPN a valuable online tool.
How to Watch Amazon Prime Video Using a VPN
When using a VPN to access Prime Video content from another country, you need only follow these easy steps:
- Subscribe to a Prime Video-able VPN service. (I recommend I recommend NordVPN.)
- Install your provider’s VPN app on your device(s).
- Connect to the VPN service.
- Select a server in the country where your favorite Amazon Prime Video content is located.
- Run your Prime Video app and enjoy the show!
Best VPNs for Watching Amazon Prime Video
I’ve run my favorite VPNs through their paces, and the following 5 VPNs have proven to be the best VPNs for watching Amazon Prime Video.
These are the top 5 VPNs for Amazon Prime Video:
Here’s a TL;DR summary for those of you in a hurry:
- NordVPN: This is the best option for Amazon Prime Video viewers. Despite its reasonable price, the provider offers above-average global server coverage, HD video-capable connections, and good app support.
- Surfshark: This provider shines at unblocking numerous streaming services around the globe, thanks to a quickly growing server network. However, its most interesting features are its budget pricing and its unlimited simultaneous connections allowance, making it a great choice for business or family use.
- ExpressVPN: The provider delivers top-notch content-barricade-busting power, with an extensive global server network and fast connections that can handle Prime Video’s HD content. Its pricing is a bit expensive though.
- CyberGhost: The best option for first-time VPN users. The provider offers easy-to-use apps that feature one-click protection, plus streaming-optimized server options.
- PrivateVPN: This provider’s fast connection speeds help compensate for their less-than-optimal server coverage. Excellent customer service adds to the value.
As you read this article, you’ll discover that not all VPN providers are equal, as they all have their own particular set of strengths and weaknesses.
For instance, not just any VPN will do the trick when it comes to unblocking streaming services. You need to find a VPN that provides maximum Amazon Prime Video-unblocking power.
Once upon a time, nearly any VPN service would open access to foreign Prime Video content, but in recent years, Amazon has become hip to the tricks that VPNs use.
Amazon Prime Video (as well as other streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, and others) has become quite skilled at detecting the use of VPN services. Streaming services regularly detect and block the IP addresses of VPN servers, blocking access to their content by VPN users.
VPN blocking means your VPN provider needs to have a solid record of avoiding detection and of reacting quickly when any of their servers’ IP addresses are detected and blocked. Each of my top 5 providers has a strong track record of unblocking Amazon Prime.
When rating the best VPNs for use with Amazon Prime Video, I considered the following factors:
- Reliable access to Prime Video and other streaming services
- Comprehensive global server coverage
- Connection speeds
- Security and privacy protections
- Level of native app support
Here are the top 5 best VPNs for watching Amazon Prime Video.
NordVPN took the top spot this time around, thanks to its fast download speeds, comprehensive native app support, and dependable access to other streaming providers.
The provider delivers access to Amazon Prime Video in multiple countries, including the U.S., U.K., Germany, and France. The provider offers information on their website about how best to connect to access Amazon video content.
NordVPN also unblocks access to Netflix, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer.
With over 5,400 servers located in nearly 60 countries, the provider delivers access to blocked content around the world.
NordVPN’s connection speeds are the fastest of any provider in this roundup, delivering HD and 4K content from Amazon, and the content plays immediately and smoothly.
Security is never a worry when you’re connected to NordVPN’s servers thanks to their high-level connection encryption and optimized kill switch protection.
Your privacy is also well-protected thanks to the provider’s strict no-logs policy. You can pay via Bitcoin, keeping your payment information completely private.
NordVPN has most popular devices covered, with apps for Android, iOS, macOS, Linux, Windows, and Amazon Fire devices. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions protect your browser viewing sessions.
NordVPN allows 6 concurrent connections on an account, and if that’s not enough – or if you have a device that is not on the app list – you can make use of the provider’s router support to protect all of your devices via a single connection.
- 5,400 servers stationed in nearly 60 countries
- HD-capable, encrypted connections
- Top-notch user privacy
- Value pricing
- Excellent online security and privacy
- The fastest VPN we have tested
- Streaming servers are labeled
BEST VPN FOR AMAZON PRIME VIDEO:NordVPN is the top VPN for Amazon Prime viewers. The service delivers reliable, fast, and well-protected connections, as well as excellent access to content around the globe. Their pricing isn’t bad either. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read our full review of NordVPN.
Surfshark grabs second place in this roundup, as it delivers reliable access to Prime Video and other popular streaming services, as well as top-notch security and privacy protections, all at a budget price.
This provider helps its users access streaming content from Amazon Prime Video as well as Netflix, BBC iPlayer and HBO Go.
The provider may have the fastest-growing global server network in the VPN industry, as it now boasts 3,200+ servers in over 64 countries, up from just 500+ servers stationed in 50+ countries not so long ago.
Surfshark’s connection speeds can easily play HD video streams without any long buffering periods. Connection protection consists of military-level encryption, as well as kill switch and ad-blocking protection.
Privacy isn’t a worry with Surfshark, as the firm keeps no logs of any kind and accepts Bitcoin in return for its services.
Surfshark’s native app support includes apps for the iOS, Android, Linux, Windows, macOS, and Amazon Fire TV and Fire tablet platforms. Firefox and Chrome browser extensions are also available.
Owners of Apple TVs, Smart TVs, or consoles like the Xbox or Playstation can open access to blocked content by using the provider’s smart DNS feature. (Please note: the smart DNS feature does not encrypt your connection like Surfshark’s VPN service does.)
Every member of your family can simultaneously protect their devices with Surfshark thanks to the service’s unlimited simultaneous connections allowance.
- Offers access to numerous streaming services
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Excellent privacy and security protections
- Fast-growing global server network
- Budget-priced extended subscriptions
- The 1-month subscription option is a bit expensive
PERFECT FOR BUDGET-MINDED FAMILIES:Whether you’re a member of a large family or a small business, you’re probably watching your pennies these days. Surfshark has everyone covered thanks to its low-priced extended subscription options and unlimited simultaneous connections policy. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read our full review of Surfshark.
ExpressVPN is an attractive VPN option for accessing Amazon Prime Video movies and television episodes from outside of your own country, despite being priced higher than the other options on this list..
ExpressVPN covers the globe with its server farms, stationing over 3,000 servers in 94 countries.
The service’s connections are more than up to handling the HD and 4K content available from Amazon Prime Video. ExpressVPN never limits your bingeing sessions with data caps or bandwidth limitations.
The service provides top-notch connection security via its military-grade encryption and kill switch protection.
Your privacy is well protected at ExpressVPN, as the provider keeps no logs whatsoever connected to your online travels, and a Bitcoin payment option keeps your payment information incognito.
Amazon Prime Video is available on all of the popular device platforms. This makes native app support an important factor when considering a VPN. ExpressVPN provides excellent app support, with apps for the iOS, macOS, Windows, Android, Amazon Fire TV, Amazon Fire tablet, and Linux platforms.
Apple TV, Smart TV, and game console owners can make use of the provider’s MediaStreamer DNS service to allow access to foreign Prime Video streams. (Take note that MediaStreamer does not encrypt your internet connection.)
- Unblocks content from Amazon Prime and other streaming services
- Superb global server coverage
- Impressive privacy and security protections
- Comprehensive native app support
- More expensive than other VPN options
- Streaming servers aren’t labeled
RELIABLE VPN OPTION FOR AMAZON PRIME:If you always order prime rib, then ExpressVPN may be the best VPN option for accessing Amazon Prime Video content for you. Despite a higher than average price, the provider’s extensive global server network and top-notch app support, and fast connection offer a decent return on investment. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read our full review of ExpressVPN.
CyberGhost sits smack-dab in the middle of the pack on my list of best Amazon Prime Video-enhancing VPNs. The provider delivers the speediest connections on this list, along with excellent privacy and security protection.
CyberGhost has over 7,000 servers located in 60 countries. Many of those servers are optimized for streaming and offer unblocking for Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and Netflix.
CyberGhost delivers the top connection speeds in this bunch, providing enough oomph for even the 4K HDR content that Amazon, Netflix, and other premium streaming services supply.
Security is never an issue with CyberGhost thanks to military-grade encryption and kill switch protection for their connections. Its strict no-logs policy and Bitcoin subscription payment option offer comprehensive privacy protection.
App support from CyberGhost includes options for the iOS, Android, Android TV, Windows, macOS, and Amazon Fire devices. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions also made the cut.
If you require more than CyberGhost’s allotted 7 simultaneous connections, or if you need to protect a device not on the above list of apps, you can take advantage of the provider’s excellent router compatibility.
- Streaming-optimized servers around the globe
- 4K-capable connection speeds
- Optimal privacy protection
- Comprehensive security protection
- Lacks customization features preferred by advanced users
STREAMING-OPTIMIZED CONNECTIONS:CyberGhost delivers the most connection horsepower, making it an excellent choice for streaming. The provider’s easy-to-use apps are good for new VPN users. A 45-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read our full review of CyberGhost.
PrivateVPN is the #5 best-performing Amazon Prime Video VPN thanks to reliable access to Prime Video and other streaming services, along with excellent privacy and security protections.
This provider delivers excellent access to Amazon Prime Video, as well as other streaming services, including Netflix, Hulu, HBO, and BBC iPlayer.
PrivateVPN’s total server count of 150+ is rather low when compared to most competitors, but the service does a good job of spreading the servers around the globe, placing them in 60 countries.
You’ll likely never have to wait more than a few seconds for the action to begin when using PrivateVPN to protect your bingeing sessions. The provider’s connection speeds are fast, easily handling both the HD and 4K content that Amazon offers.
The provider’s well-encrypted, kill switch-protected connections lack any restrictions, such as bandwidth or data cap restrictions.
Your privacy is also well-protected thanks to PrivateVPN’s no-logs privacy protection and Bitcoin payment option.
iOS, Android, macOS, Windows, Amazon Fire TV, and Fire HD users will find that PrivateVPN’s apps are easy to use. (While the Amazon apps aren’t mentioned on the PrivateVPN website, they are available from Amazon.)
If your favorite streaming device isn’t on the above list, or if the generous 6 simultaneous logins on the same username that the provider allows is insufficient, you can make use of the provider’s router compatibility.
- Provides access to Prime Video and numerous other streaming services
- Connections easily handle HD and 4K streams
- Up to 6 simultaneous connections
- Below-average server numbers
- Multi-platform support also below average
FAST SPEEDS, REASONABLE PRICE:PrivateVPN delivers excellent Prime Video unblocking, with connection speeds easily up to the highest-definition content currently available. The reasonably-priced provider delivers a great return on investment. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read our full review of PrivateVPN.
Methodology of Assessing VPNs for Amazon Prime Video
Be careful when it comes to choosing a VPN service provider for Amazon Prime Video. You don’t want to choose just any VPN to do the job, as many of them don’t do the job, or at least don’t do it well.
These are the most important factors I looked for when deciding upon which VPNs to recommend for Amazon Prime Video:
- Speed: Of course, you want to look for a speedy VPN provider. Waiting for your video to load or suffering through low resolution is hardly a good time. Each VPN on my list scored above-average on my most recent connection speed tests.
- Server Network: Amazon Prime Video is available in multiple countries, so a wide server network ensures that you’ll be able to connect to your favorite content. Plus, a VPN with a large number of servers means that you won’t have to deal with slow speeds, as there won’t be many people clogging any single server.
- Value: It makes sense that you wouldn’t want to shell out an inordinate sum of money for a VPN that isn’t worth it. A VPN should offer the features and functionality you need for a reasonable price, considering what it offers. All of the VPNs on my list ask a price that is commensurate with what they provide.
- Ease of Use: All of the VPNs on my list also offer apps that are easy to use, so you won’t have to fiddle with settings before being able to watch your favorite Amazon Prime Video content. They also offer apps for myriad devices, so you can stream on your favorite devices, no problem.
- Security and Privacy: Making sure that you’re protected while streaming Amazon Prime’s content is also important. A VPN should offer, at least, banking-level encryption, an automatic kill switch and DNS/IP leak protection, if not more. The VPN should also never record any logs of your online antics, so no one can get their hands on your data.
- Streaming: Amazon Prime Video is just one example of a worthwhile streaming service, and if you like Amazon Prime, you also likely like other streaming providers. Each VPN on my list offers reliable access to multiple streaming services, such as Hulu, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Disney+ and more.
Check out more information about my VPN testing methodology.
Can I Use a Free VPN to Watch Amazon Prime Video?
While it may be possible to unblock Amazon Prime Video and other streaming services by using a “free” VPN, I believe you’ll be less than satisfied with the experience.
Plus, you’ll possibly open yourself up to having your privacy violated, which is one of the things a VPN is supposed to protect against.
As I mentioned previously, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, and other streaming services all keep a lookout for VPN users that might be attempting to connect to their servers. Free VPN providers simply don’t have the resources to provide reliable access to Amazon Prime Video.
Potential free VPN users should actually be more worried about the hidden costs of a free provider. With many “free” VPNs, you’re paying for the service. But instead of cash, you’re paying with your personal information.
Even free VPN providers need to earn enough money to keep the lights on and servers running. Many do this by tracking your online activities and then selling that information to advertisers and other third parties.
Other freebie VPNs will inject unwanted ads and tracking cookies into your browsing sessions. Plus, many free VPNs will place bandwidth and data cap limitations on your sessions. Neither of those is streaming-friendly.
Personally, none of the above sounds like a good reason to use a “free” VPN provider.
One month of service from a quality VPN provider will cost you about the same as a Big Mac combo. Don’t you think your privacy (and your health) is worth that?
How Do I Access Amazon Prime Video Using a VPN?
When you want to view Amazon Prime Video or other streaming services’ content in another country, you’ll need to acquire an IP address located inside the borders of the country you’re targeting.
The best way to grab an IP address inside another country is to use a VPN.
Once you’ve decided on which country’s content you’d like to access, all you need to do is load your VPN app of choice and connect to a VPN server located in your desired country.
You’ll receive a temporary IP address in that country. Connect to Amazon Prime Video and enjoy the show.
What Else Can I Do With a VPN?
Unblocking your favorite streaming content is a handy feature for sure, but a VPN also offers other features to improve your online travels.
A VPN can also unblock other geo-restricted content, such as online gaming servers and their associated content. Plus, it also opens up access to websites and other online services that might normally be blocked in your area.
A VPN can also ensure that your ISP won’t throttle your internet connection, which some do when you’re using a service that’s not on their “approved” list.
Additionally, a VPN protects your online antics from being observed by outsiders, such as your ISP or the government, by routing your internet traffic through an encrypted tunnel.
That same encryption feature does a top-notch job of protecting your personal information from hackers and other interested parties. This is an excellent way to protect yourself if you bank, shop, or pay bills online through the unprotected Wi-Fi hotspot at your local coffee shop.
Amazon Prime Video VPN FAQs
Is It Legal to Use a VPN to Stream Amazon Prime Video From Abroad?
What Countries is Amazon Prime Video Available in?
Amazon Prime Video is available in over 200 countries worldwide (except for Mainland China, Iran, North Korea, and Syria). However, it should be noted that available content can vary greatly from country to country.
Do Any Free VPNs Work to Unblock Amazon Prime Video?
I have never found any free VPN to offer reliable access to Amazon Prime Video. Free VPNs simply do not have the resources available to keep the lines open to Amazon Prime Video when the streaming service blocks their IP addresses.
Can Amazon Prime Video Detect My VPN?
Amazon Prime Video and other streaming services can detect VPN usage. When that happens, they can block access to their content. That's why it's crucial to use a reliable VPN like NordVPN. They quickly set up new IP addresses when one of theirs is blocked.
Amazon Prime Video is arguably the best reason to purchase an Amazon Prime membership. (Okay, that 2-day free delivery option is pretty sweet too, I’ll admit.) A VPN can help you unlock Prime Video content you might not normally have access to.
A VPN – like my top choice, NordVPN – opens up access to blocked content and protects your online identity and privacy from being exploited by the bad guys.
For more information or to purchase a subscription, visit the NordVPN website.
- How to Watch Amazon Prime Video Using a VPN
- Best VPNs for Watching Amazon Prime Video
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. PrivateVPN
- Methodology of Assessing VPNs for Amazon Prime Video
- Can I Use a Free VPN to Watch Amazon Prime Video?
- How Do I Access Amazon Prime Video Using a VPN?
- What Else Can I Do With a VPN?
- Amazon Prime Video VPN FAQs
- Is It Legal to Use a VPN to Stream Amazon Prime Video From Abroad?
- What Countries is Amazon Prime Video Available in?
- Do Any Free VPNs Work to Unblock Amazon Prime Video?
- Can Amazon Prime Video Detect My VPN?