Spotify is one of the most popular music, video and podcast streaming platforms available on the internet today. It was officially launched in Sweden in October 2008. The “freemium” streaming service provides a limited ad-supported service, as well as a paid plan offering improved streaming quality, offline music downloads and more.
While Spotify may be one of the most popular music-streaming services around, it’s not available everywhere. Spotify is available in most of the Americas, as well as most of Europe, Australia, New Zealand and many parts of Africa and Asia. The online service provides apps for most popular desktop and mobile platforms, including Windows, macOS, iOS and Android.
Why is Spotify Not Available in Some Areas?
Blocking can be due to geographical restrictions placed by Spotify itself due to its music licensing agreements with the record labels.
Blocks against the online service can also be placed by employers, school administrators, and even governments that are afraid pop music will corrupt the innocent citizens of their countries (Was that sarcastic? I feel like that was sarcastic…).
Can a VPN Help Me Listen to Spotify?
Luckily, music fans can listen to their favorite artists wherever they travel thanks to the features that a Virtual Private Network (VPN) offers. A VPN can make it appear as if your device is connecting from a different part of the world.
When you log into a VPN server, that server temporarily assigns a new IP address to your connected device, usually in the same area of the world that the VPN server is located in. This makes it appear as if you and your device are physically located in that region of the globe. This tricks Spotify and other streaming services into opening their local content libraries to you.
Spotify, Apple Music, Netflix and other streaming services have caught onto this trick and have begun blocking IP addresses that VPN providers use. This means VPN services must create new IP addresses to once again enable access to the streaming platform.
In this article, we’ll take a look at the top seven VPNs for listening to Spotify and other music streaming services.
How to Listen to Spotify Using a VPN
Using a VPN to access Spotify digital content available in other regions of the globe requires following only a few simple steps:
- Subscribe to a Spotify-unblocking VPN service. (I suggest NordVPN.)
- Install the provider’s VPN app(s) on your device(s).
- Log into the VPN provider and select a server located in the country of your choice.
- Grab your headphones and rock out! (The kids still say that, right?)
What Is the Best VPN for Listening to Spotify?
After exhaustive testing, the following seven VPNs have proven to be the best VPNs for listening to Spotify. The TL;DR summary is:
- NordVPN: Top VPN for Spotify. This provider is the ideal VPN choice for music lovers. The provider’s reasonably-priced extended subscription options buy reliable and speedy access to Spotify and other popular streaming services.
- Surfshark: Low-priced VPN for Spotify. This provider is the budget-priced option on this list. Surfshark’s fast-growing global server network provides reliable access to Spotify and other streaming services.
- ExpressVPN: Premium VPN for Spotify. This VPN provides reliable access to Spotify in numerous countries around the globe thanks to its comprehensive global server coverage, speedy connections and excellent app support.
- CyberGhost: One-click protection for Spotify. Spotify listeners who don’t have much experience with using a VPN will appreciate this provider’s easy-to-use yet powerful apps. CyberGhost’s wide-ranging global server network includes servers optimized for reliable streaming services like Spotify.
- Private Internet Access: Reliable access to Spotify streams. PIA offers access to geo-controlled content, including Spotify streams. While the provider’s global server network is definitely not the largest on this list, it does provide reliable access to your favorite tunes.
- PrivateVPN: “Stealthy” access to Spotify. This provider works well with Spotify and other streaming services, thanks to its fast connections and comprehensive online protection. The provider’s Stealth VPN feature hides your VPN usage.
- Atlas VPN: Unlimited protected Spotify connections. While the provider’s global server network coverage is somewhat limited, protected connections to Spotify are unlimited.
When ranking the best providers to use with Spotify, I considered the following factors:
- Reliable ability to access Spotify and other streaming services around the globe
- Comprehensive global server coverage
- Fast speeds for downloads
- Excellent online privacy and security protections
- Comprehensive multi-platform app support
Here is my list of the top seven best VPNs for listening to Spotify content from around the globe:
NordVPN rates the top spot on this list thanks to its offering of top-notch VPN services at a reasonable price.
With 5,400+ servers stationed in 60 countries, the provider offers reliable access to most Spotify-served countries. It also provides access to many other video and music streaming services. The provider owns and operates its servers, keeping outside contractors away from its customers’ personal information.
NordVPN’s connection speeds are some of the fastest around, and the provider delivers plenty of no-data-cap bandwidth for all of your favorite online activities, including video and music streaming, online gaming, and sharing large amounts of data.
The provider’s online security protection is equal to any provider on this list thanks to its use of government-level encryption, kill switch protection, and DNS/IPv6 leak prevention. Plus, the provider’s Double VPN option routes your connection through two servers for additional encryption and anonymity. Malware and ad blocking are also available.
No logs whatsoever are kept on NordVPN servers. That, along with a cryptocurrency subscription payment option, keep your information private. Plus, NordVPN runs all of its servers 100% from volatile RAM, writing no data of any kind to a physical hard drive. So, all data is securely wiped any time a server is restarted or shutdown.
NordVPN directly supports multiple platforms, with apps available for the Windows, macOS (with native M1 Mac compatibility), iOS, Android, Chromebook, Amazon Fire, Linux and Android TV device platforms.
Extensions are available for the Chrome, Edge and Firefox browsers. The provider offers compatibility with numerous router makes and models. Up to six devices can connect simultaneously on one username.
NordVPN also offers a SmartDNS service, which allows devices incompatible with VPN apps, such as game consoles, some smart TVs and other set-top boxes, to access international streaming content like what Spotify offers. However, keep in mind that the service doesn’t encrypt your connection like the VPN service does.
If you require aid, 24/7 support chat, email support and a searchable support database are always available.
- Spotify-unblocking servers
- Fast speeds for downloads
- Top-notch privacy and security protections
- Reasonably-priced extended subscriptions
- 24/7 support
- App user interfaces could be friendlier
BEST SPOTIFY VPN:NordVPN is the best VPN option for Spotify users. In addition to a reasonable pricing structure, the provider delivers excellent online security, as well as fast connections for most popular device platforms. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of NordVPN.
Surfshark grabs the #2 spot in this lineup thanks to its fast connections, fast-growing server network and unlimited simultaneous connections policy.
The provider’s global server network is growing at a fast clip. At the time of this article, Surfshark has over 3,200 servers in 63+ countries. The provider offers reliable access to Spotify and others, such as video streaming services.
Surfshark’s no-data-caps policy ensures you can enjoy your favorite online activities to the fullest, including video and music streaming, file sharing, and online gaming.
A strict no-server-logs-ever policy and a Bitcoin subscription payment option both keep your privacy well-protected.
Surfshark’s app support compares well to any other provider in the top 5, with offerings for the iOS, Android, Android TV, Linux, macOS, Windows and Amazon Fire device platforms. Chrome, Edge and Firefox extensions, as well as comprehensive router protection, are also available.
This provider offers a somewhat unusual unlimited simultaneous connections allowance, making it an attractive VPN option for business owners or for the heads of Partridge Family-sized families and music groups.
The provider offers around-the-clock support availability, with 24/7 support chat, a searchable support library and FAQ section, and a support request form.
- Provides access to Spotify in numerous countries
- Unlimited concurrent connections
- Super fast connection speeds
- Bargain pricing
- Lacks some advanced features that other providers offer
LOW-PRICED PROTECTION FOR ALL:This value-priced VPN provider offers a fast-growing global server network that delivers plenty of unblocking power, great app support, and unlimited connections, making it perfect for any sized group of music lovers. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of Surfshark.
ExpressVPN offers reliable Spotify-unblocking power in all of the regions where the service is available.
ExpressVPN has over 3,000 servers based in over 93 countries around the globe. That server network provides reliable access to Spotify as well as other streaming providers, including Netflix, Apple Music, Disney+ and many others.
This provider’s download speeds are some of the fastest in the industry, making it a perfect match for any type of streaming service. Those fast, no-data-cap connections are also perfect for playing games and downloading and sharing large files.
All of those speedy connections are protected with military-level encryption, a kill switch, and IPv6/DNS leak prevention. The provider’s split tunneling feature allows users to designate which apps will use the protected ExpressVPN tunnel.
The provider protects your payment privacy with its Bitcoin payment option. It protects your usage privacy with a strict no-logging policy.
In addition, the provider uses a unique TrustedServer technology, which runs all server operations from RAM, never writing any user data to the server’s hard drive. This ensures all servers are wiped clean when they are rebooted.
Native app support is another high point for this provider, with offerings for the macOS, iOS, Android, Android TV, Windows, Linux, Chromebook and Amazon Fire platforms.
Browser extensions for the Firefox, Edge and Chrome platforms are available. The provider’s extensive router compatibility features can also be used to protect all of your connected devices.
Up to 5 devices can connect to the service simultaneously on the same set of login credentials.
For devices that can stream Spotify but can’t use a VPN – such as streaming boxes like the Apple TV, gaming consoles, and Smart TVs – ExpressVPN offers its MediaStreamer DNS service. Keep in mind, though, that the service does not offer encrypted protection for your connection like the company’s VPN service does.
24/7 support options include always-available live chat, a trouble ticket system, email support and a searchable knowledge base.
- Unblocks Spotify and other streaming services
- Comprehensive global server coverage
- Fast connections
- Optimal privacy and security protections
- More expensive than some other VPNs
- Streaming servers are not labeled
RELIABLE VPN FOR SPOTIFY:ExpressVPN is a reliable option for Spotify streaming, no matter where you are. The provider’s fast, well-encrypted connections provide unlimited bandwidth for a wide selection of connected devices. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of ExpressVPN.
If you’ve never used a VPN, or if you’re the type of user that prefers ease-of-use over services that offer hundreds of bells and whistles, CyberGhost may be the VPN service for you.
The provider basically has the world covered in server locations thanks to its 7,900+ servers in 90+ countries around the globe. Included in that server count are servers optimized for reliable streaming of music and video, as well as those optimized for downloading and sharing files.
All of those servers deliver fast download speeds, delivering no-data-cap access to video, music, online gaming, and file sharing – all with unlimited bandwidth.
The provider’s banking-grade encryption, along with internet kill switch protection, DNS/IPv6 leak protection, and malware and ad blocking, join together to provide optimal online security. Plus, users can also opt to force web servers to serve up HTTPS versions of their pages, if available.
The combination of a privacy-protecting Bitcoin subscription payment option as well as a strict no-server-logging policy ensures your privacy is well protected.
Easy-to-use apps are one of the hallmarks of CyberGhost’s protection, and the provider offers native support for Android, iOS, macOS, Linux, Windows and Amazon Fire devices.
Also available are Chrome and Firefox browser extensions, as well as extensive router support. Up to 7 simultaneous access connections are allowed.
In addition to easy-to-use VPN services, the provider also offers a password manager, will notify you if and when your email address is exposed in a data breach, and more. Windows users can take advantage of the provider’s antivirus and anti-malware protection, privacy customizations and more.
The provider offers around-the-clock customer support thanks to 24/7 support chat, email support, a contact form and a searchable support library.
- One-click access to servers around the globe
- Easy-to-use apps
- Keeps no logs, accept Bitcoin
- Streaming-optimized servers
- Apps missing advanced features that other providers offer
- Doesn’t work reliably from inside China
BEST FOR NEWBIE VPN USERS:CyberGhost is my top recommendation for online users with little to no experience using VPNs, or for those users who prefer simple, one-click access to online protection. One of the best providers as they offer streaming-optimized servers offer reliable access to Spotify and other streaming services. A 45-day, no-risk money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of CyberGhost.
Private Internet Access (PIA) provides reliable access to Spotify and other streaming services.
With more than 3,300 servers stationed in over 80 countries, the provider’s server network is certainly not the largest on this list, but it should be enough for many users, especially those looking for access to Spotify and other streaming services.
PIA offers native support for most popular platforms, including Android, Android TV, iOS, Windows, macOS and Linux. Chrome, Opera and Firefox browser extensions are available to protect your in-browser streaming, and the provider also offers compatibility with multiple router makes and models.
Users can simultaneously connect up to 10 devices on a single account.
While PIA’s download speeds were nowhere near the fastest on this list, the provider’s connections should provide more than enough bandwidth for whatever you’re up to. The provider imposes no data caps or bandwidth throttling on its users’ usage.
Government-grade encryption, IP/DNS leak prevention, and a kill switch keeps your online antics well-hidden. PIA can also block ads, trackers, malware and harmful sites.
PIA servers run without saving logs, and the provider also accepts cryptocurrency as subscription payment, keeping both your usage and payment privacy undercover.
PIA support options include live support chat, a trouble ticket form, and a searchable support database.
- Provides access to Spotify and other streamers
- Well-established VPN provider
- Comprehensive online security and privacy
- No streaming-enhanced servers listed in app
- Doesn’t work well in some restrictive regions
RELIABLE ACCESS TO SPOTIFY:Private Internet Access provides well-protected access to Spotify and other geo-controlled streaming services. The provider’s fast, well-protected connections are also an excellent solution for protecting all of your favorite online activities. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
PrivateVPN delivers fast, well-protected access to Spotify, as well as other geo-controlled content.
PrivateVPN’s global server coverage (200+ servers in 60+ countries) is the smallest network on this list when it comes to a server count. So, I suggest that you check to make sure the provider has servers where you need them before subscribing.
The provider does little to slow down internet connections, meaning your streaming should start almost immediately and play stutter-free.
PrivateVPN native app support is limited to the macOS, Windows, Android, and iOS device platforms. Router support is also available. The provider also offers an add-on for use with the Kodi media player app. It also works with a number of router makes and models.
Up to 6 devices can be connected to the VPN at once using the same login credentials.
All PrivateVPN connections with military-grade encryption, IP/DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. The provider’s Stealth VPN feature hides your VPN usage, making it appear as normal browser traffic.
PrivateVPN doesn’t keep any server logs related to their users’ online travels, protecting you from having your online activities tracked at a later date. The provider accepts Bitcoin in return for their services, so your payment info can be kept private, too.
Customer support is available in the form of online chat, a non searchable FAQ section, and an email contact option.
- Fast connections
- Top-notch privacy protection
- Excellent app support
- Global server coverage could be better
- No designated streaming servers
RELIABLE, STEALTHY ACCESS TO IPTV:PrivateVPN’s fast connections and top-notch privacy protections keep you connected to Spotify. Kodi compatibility and a Stealth VPN feature that hides your VPN usage are a definite plus. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of PrivateVPN.
Spotify listeners will appreciate Atlas VPN’s fast download speeds, as well as its support for streaming-compatible devices.
The provider has the second-lowest server count on this list, with only 750+ servers spread out among 32+ countries. However, it should be noted that the Atlas global network provides reliable access to Spotify streams and other geo-controlled content in the countries that it serves.
Atlas VPN’s streaming-ready connections deliver download speeds that ranked in the top 10 in my last round of speed tests. The provider never cuts you off in mid-song because of data caps or bandwidth limitations.
The provider’s banking-grade encryption, kill switch, and other protective measures keep your online activities hidden, while the provider’s Safebrowse and Safebrowse Plus features protect you from various online browsing dangers.
All Atlas VPN servers are 100% log-free, with no records ever being kept of your online travels. Unfortunately, users that prefer to pay using cryptocurrency will need to look for another solution.
App support comes in the form of options for the Android, iOS, macOS, Windows, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV device platforms. While the provider currently lacks support for Linux, browser extensions, and routers, all three are in development.
Atlas puts no limit on the number of devices that can be simultaneously connected by a users to its servers.
Live agent chat is available to paying customers. Meanwhile, email, a contact form, and a support library are available to everyone.
- Fast, music-ready connections
- Comprehensive native device support
- Works with multiple streaming services
- Lacks router support
- No browser or Linux support
- Server coverage could be better
UNLIMITED PROTECTED SPOTIFY:Music lovers will appreciate Atlas VPN’s reliable access to Spotify. The provider offers comprehensive online protection and enhancement for an unlimited number of devices. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of Atlas VPN.
Methodology for Assessing VPNs for Spotify
When you want to stream your favorite music, you don’t want to find out that your chosen VPN service provider is incapable of unblocking and streaming Spotify. That’s why I made sure to assess each VPN I recommend for the traits needed to properly stream Spotify.
These are those needed traits:
- Speed: Do you want to wait for Spotify to buffer during your favorite song? I didn’t think so. That’s why it’s important to consider connection speed when you choose a VPN. All of the VPNs on my list offer extremely fast connection speeds, ensuring that you won’t have to deal with buffering.
- Server network: Spotify’s content differs from country to country, so a large server network means you’ll have access to all kinds of music. In addition, make sure the VPN has a large number of servers. This will increase your speeds, as no single server will be overloaded with a bunch of users attempting to connect.
- Value: You already likely pay for a Spotify subscription, so you don’t want to have to pay much on top of that for a VPN, especially if that VPN overcharges you. Each VPN I recommend asks a price that makes sense for what it offers, never more. NordVPN and Surfshark are particularly budget-priced.
- Ease of use: Newbies to the VPN world will want a VPN that is easy to use, so I made sure to recommend only VPNs with apps that are simple. Those apps are also available for a wide array of platforms, giving you plenty of options when it comes to which device to use to stream Spotify.
- Security and privacy: It doesn’t matter that you just want to stream Spotify – you’re always in danger when you’re on the internet, so digital security and privacy protections are always critical. A VPN should offer, at least, banking-level encryption, an automatic kill switch and DNS/IP leak protection, if not more. Plus, a no-logs policy means that no person or entity can know what you’re doing with your internet connection.
- Streaming: If you’re into streaming music, you’re likely also into streaming other things, like video streaming content. So, I made sure that each VPN on my list is also capable of streaming popular services like Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and more.
This isn’t all that I research. Evaluating the factors listed above makes up just a small part of my comprehensive VPN testing methodology. My data-driven approach helps me to better understand the VPNs and their services. This means I can recommend only those VPNs that are a good fit for the task or activity at hand.
Can I Use a Free VPN to Listen to Spotify?
While you might find a free VPN that will provide limited access to Spotify’s entertaining playlists, you’ll soon become frustrated by the limitations of a free VPN provider.
First off, you may not be able to gain access to the Spotify region you enjoy listening to. When you connect to a free VPN, you may be forced to wait for an opening on the provider’s free servers to become available.
Once you’re allowed to connect, you will either find that you have a limited server selection to choose from or that you’re automatically connected to a server of the provider’s choosing. Either way, you may not have access to servers in your preferred country.
Free VPNs are not content streaming-friendly. First, they throttle free users’ connection speeds, as they wish to preserve their bandwidth for paying customers. And, they usually place daily or monthly user data caps on free customers’ usage. There’s nothing like having your favorite song cut off in mid-tune simply because you’ve reached your data limit, eh?
Free VPNs also don’t do a good job of protecting your privacy.
Many free VPNs keep their employees paid and their servers humming by tracking their users’ online travels and then selling that information to advertisers and other nosy parties.
Other freebie VPNs have been caught inserting unwanted tracking cookies and advertisements into their users’ browser sessions.
As you can see, the convenience, performance, and privacy protection from free VPNs is severely lacking.
What Else Is a VPN Good for?
In addition to unblocking Spotify, a VPN can also unblock other types of blocked content, such as other content streaming services (like Netflix, Apple Music, Hulu, and others), financial services, gaming servers, and other sites and services.
A VPN also encrypts your internet connection, providing multiple advantages.
First off, a VPN’s encryption hides your online activities from your ISP. This means your ISP can’t track you and sell your information to third parties. And, since it hides your activities from your ISP, it can’t block or throttle your internet connection for engaging in “unapproved” activities like file-sharing or streaming from certain sources.
Encryption also comes in handy when you’re connecting to the internet via an unprotected public WiFi hotspot. Hackers love WiFi hotspots, as they are able to track other users’ online travels, allowing them to steal sensitive personal information, like banking or shopping info. A VPN hides that activity from hackers, keeping your information private.
Spotify is available in numerous locations around the globe, and every version offers new and exciting digital content not available anywhere else. By using the right Virtual Private Network, you can enjoy access to all of that music.
A VPN – like my #1 choice, NordVPN – allows you to listen to music or view video from nearly anywhere around the globe. A VPN also encrypts your internet connection, keeping all of your online activities safe from being monitored. A VPN delivers fast access to the internet for all of your favorite connected devices.
For more information, visit the NordVPN website.
Why Is Spotify Not Supported in China?
Spotify has simply not yet launched their service in China. Here is a list of countries where Spotify is available. Users who have a Spotify account in another country can still access the streaming platform by using a VPN.
Why Is My Spotify Account Blocked by Firewall?
If you’re attempting to connect to Spotify while on a public WiFi hotspot, or while on a school or work network, the firewall may be blocking Spotify.
Public WiFi hotspots will block streaming services to preserve the available bandwidth for all users, while schools and places of employment will block streaming services to prevent students and employees from becoming diverted from the task at hand.
Why Can’t I Find Spotify in the App Store?
If you can’t find Spotify in your App Store, it means your Apple ID is set to a country where Spotify is not yet available. This Spotify support article lists the countries where the streaming service is available. You can follow this Apple-supplied guide on how to change your Apple ID country to one where the service is available, and Spotify should then be available.
- Why is Spotify Not Available in Some Areas?
- Can a VPN Help Me Listen to Spotify?
- How to Listen to Spotify Using a VPN
- What Is the Best VPN for Listening to Spotify?
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. Private Internet Access
- 6. PrivateVPN
- 7. Atlas VPN
- Methodology for Assessing VPNs for Spotify
- Can I Use a Free VPN to Listen to Spotify?
- What Else Is a VPN Good for?
- Spotify FAQs
- Why Is Spotify Not Supported in China?
- Why Is My Spotify Account Blocked by Firewall?
- Why Can’t I Find Spotify in the App Store?