If you’re already a NOW TV subscriber, or if you’re looking to sign up to the U.K.-based streaming service, you may be wondering if you can watch it while you travel abroad or go on vacation overseas.
Unfortunately, the NOW TV service is geo-restricted to users in the United Kingdom. However, there’s a workaround that will allow you to watch NOW TV overseas in Spain, the U.S., Australia, Canada or anywhere else.
Does a VPN Help Me Watch NOW TV?
By signing up for a VPN service, NOW TV subscribers can watch the shows they want from almost any country abroad. A VPN will help you get around content blocks placed on devices that are trying to access the service from a restricted part of the world.
Just one of the things a VPN can do is change your IP address so it appears as though you are in the U.K.; even if you are in Germany, France, Argentina, New Zealand or the Bahamas.
To help you watch NOW TV overseas in the U.S., Spain, Australia, Canada or anywhere else, I will guide you through the best VPNs for streaming NOW TV abroad. All the VPNs I recommend below are capable of evading NOW TV restrictions in 2022.
How to Watch NOW TV Abroad With a VPN
Here are some simple steps to follow in order to access NOW TV with a VPN while you are traveling overseas.
- Download and install your selected VPN. I recommend NordVPN.
- Open the VPN app you installed in step 1 and connect to a server based in the United Kingdom.
- Double-check that no personal information from previous browsing sessions (which can block access to NOW TV) remains in your browser by clearing your cookies and browser cache.
- Launch NOW TV via the app or in the online browser on your chosen device. You now have access to your favorite shows from anywhere!
Now let’s look at the best VPNs for this specific task.
What Is the Best VPN for NOW TV?
This article will explain in detail why I have chosen the top six VPNs in this list for watching NOW TV. In order to give you a quick summary, here are my top VPN recommendations for watching NOW TV abroad.
- NordVPN: With a large choice of servers, this VPN provider can deliver access to NOW TV and many other blocked websites around the world. NordVPN also offers strong security and affordable subscription plans.
- Surfshark: This provider has a talent for unblocking streaming services around the globe, and NOW TV is on the list. This provider delivers fast connection speeds, as well as optimal online protection, and delivers all of that to as many devices at once as you’d like. It does all of this for a bargain price.
- ExpressVPN: ExpressVPN is an established provider with excellent content-streaming abilities. It can unlock NOW TV abroad and many other popular channels, too. Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- CyberGhost: This provider’s easy-to-use app lineup makes it simple to select any server, many of which are streaming-optimized. Fast, well-protected connections, and up to 7 simultaneous connections on a single username.
- Private Internet Access (PIA): PIA offers improved access to numerous streaming services, including NOW TV. The provider has a somewhat limited server network, but it scores well in most service arenas.
- PrivateVPN: A growing VPN provider that can unlock NOW TV. PrivateVPN offers good security features.
While there are a lot of VPN providers on the market today, there are only a handful of good VPNs that can unblock NOW TV effortlessly, deliver good speeds and provide robust security features.
To help you find the best VPN for your needs, I’ve compiled a list of the best VPNs for streaming NOW TV. This list has been created with the following criteria in mind:
- Can unblock NOW TV from overseas
- Has multiple U.K.-based servers
- Provide fast, stable speeds for streaming TV
- Keeps your privacy and identity secure online
- Offers strong encryption to prevent third parties from hacking or spying
Here are the top 6 VPNs I’m happy to recommend for streaming NOW TV in 2022.
NordVPN combines fast connections, one of the largest server networks and very competitive subscription plans.
There are plenty of connection options for users, with over 5,200 servers in 60 countries. In the United Kingdom alone, there are plenty of servers to choose from, and NordVPN does an excellent job of streaming NOW TV outside of the U.K. The provider is also moving its server network to an operated and owned operation model, which keeps third-party contractors away from its customers’ personal data.
With such an impressive server network, NordVPN is capable of providing access to NOW TV streams and other geo-restricted streaming services, such as Netflix.
When it comes to watching your favorite NOW TV movies, sports or shows abroad, NordVPN can help you enjoy NOW TV without restrictions by delivering unlimited streaming and fast speeds.
Aside from streaming NOW TV, NordVPN can also give you a better online experience by providing features that keep you safe online. There’s military-grade 256-bit AES encryption, making it impossible for anyone to break into your private information.
The provider also offers Double VPN protection, which routes your connection through two VPN servers instead of one, offering increased anonymity. The provider’s NordLynx connection protocol is based on the WireGuard protocol, which is designed for improved security and performance.
With other security and privacy features, including a strict no-logs policy, an internet kill switch and DNS leak protection, you’re safe from hackers at all times. NordVPN also runs all of its servers directly from RAM, with no data being written to a physical hard drive. All data is wiped from a server when it is rebooted.
It’s important to feel safe across all of your devices, and NordVPN has user-friendly apps for all the major platforms. Subscribers can cover up to 6 devices with a single NordVPN account, and there are apps available for Windows, Linux, Mac (with native M1 Mac support), Android, Android TV and iOS, as well as browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. Router protection is also available.
- Over 440 U.K.-based servers
- Can unblock NOW TV from Spain, the US, Australia, and anywhere else
- No-logs policy protects privacy
- Fast connection speeds
- Can stream NOW TV in HD
- Usability of desktop apps could be better
BEST NOW TV VPN:NordVPN can unblock NOW TV streams from outside of the U.K., and it provides a number of additional features that protect you online. This VPN provides excellent online security and privacy, along with fast connection speeds. NordVPN also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of NordVPN.
Surfshark is a bargain-priced provider that makes a good choice for VPN users with a house full of NOW TV viewers due to its unlimited concurrent device allowance (which is still an unusual feature in the VPN industry).
The provider’s global server network has grown quite a bit from its rather thin start and its 3,200+ servers in 65 countries is certainly nothing to sneer at. Surfshark has servers stationed in the U.K., in Glasgow, Manchester and London.
Surfshark’s protected connection speeds can easily handle NOW TV’s HD streams, and depending on your normal connection speeds, can also handle 4K streams. They also easily handle online gaming and the large file sharing.
Surfshark does a top-notch job of protecting their users’ connections, with military-grade 256-bit AES encryption, as well as a kill switch and DNS leak prevention. Also available are ad and tracker blocking, and malware and phishing protection. You can also use the MultiHop server option to double your protection by routing your internet traffic through twin VPN servers.
Your privacy is also important to Surfshark, as it keeps no server logs of any kind and happily accepts Bitcoin in return for its services.
Surfshark’s native app support includes options for the iOS, Android, Linux, Windows, macOS and Amazon Fire TV device platforms. (The provider offers native app support for Apple’s M1 Mac lineup.) Firefox and Chrome browser extensions are also available, as is router support.
Surfshark allows unlimited simultaneous connections using a single set of login credentials.
- Offers access to NOW TV and numerous other streaming services
- Unlimited simultaneous connections allowance
- Excellent privacy and security protections
- Low, low priced subscription options
- Fast connection speeds
- One-month subscription priced a bit on the high side
PERFECT FOR BUDGET-MINDED NOW VIEWERS:Surfshark offers bargain-priced subscription options that offer unlimited concurrent connections. The provider offers fast, well-protected connections. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read our full review of Surfshark.
ExpressVPN, one of the largest VPN providers on the market, delivers an excellent choice when it comes to its server network.
The provider has over 3,000 servers located around the world, placed in 160 locations in over 90 countries. There are 7 server farms located in the U.K. that can allow access to NOW TV.
There’s unlimited bandwidth on offer, so users can enjoy all their favorite videos without any buffering or waiting around.
When it comes to security and privacy, ExpressVPN offers some of the best available features, and this includes the best possible encryption standards. ExpressVPN servers use 256-bit encryption code, which is military-grade, keeping your data away from prying eyes. The provider’s proprietary Lightway protocol is designed to offer improved performance and security.
Users can also stay safe from hackers and thieves because all data is encrypted and cannot be deciphered by cybercriminals. Even your ISP will not be able to see which websites you are accessing – instead, they will only see encrypted data, so they cannot access your private information.
ExpressVPN also offers a no-logs policy, which means it will never record or share your details with anybody else. The provider also runs its entire server network using its proprietary “TrustedServer” technology, which runs all operations 100% from RAM, never writing any data to a physical hard drive. The means all data is securely wiped whenever a server is rebooted.
There’s good news for users who want the security of a VPN across all of their devices: ExpressVPN offers apps that work seamlessly across all major platforms, from desktop computers, smartphones and tablets to multiple Wi-Fi routers.
There are easy-to-use apps for iOS, Android, Mac, Android TV, Amazon Fire, Chromebook, Linux and Windows devices. Chrome, Edge and Firefox browser extensions are available, as is comprehensive router compatibility. (The provider recently updated its router support, improving the UI and adding new features like auto-update.)
- Large server network, including multiple U.K. servers
- U.K. servers able to unblock NOW TV from overseas
- Fast speeds for streaming HD content with no buffering
- No logs, so user information is kept secure and private
- Support for all major platforms, as well as apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android
- Slightly more expensive than other VPN services
- Streaming servers are not labeled in apps
GREAT FOR STREAMING:ExpressVPN is a great all-around choice for streaming NOW TV from overseas. This provider delivers 7 servers in the U.K. capable of delivering HD content, and users are protected online by excellent security and privacy features. While the provider is the most expensive on this list, a 30-day money-back guarantee is available, so you can try it risk-free.
Read our full review of ExpressVPN.
CyberGhost offers easy-to-use apps, along with access to streaming-optimized servers scattered around the globe.
CyberGhost’s global server coverage is among the best on this list (7,400+ servers in 90+ countries). Many of the provider’s servers are optimized to stream video, making it an excellent choice for streaming binges.
Fast connections are an important factor when considering a VPN for use with any streaming service, and CyberGhost has you covered in this column. CyberGhost boasts some of the fastest download speeds I have ever seen. If your internet connection can usually handle HD and 4K video, you should be good to go when using CyberGhost’s no data caps connections.
Those fast connections are also well-protected, thanks to CyberGhost’s use of military-grade encryption, IP/DNS leak protection and a kill switch that drops your internet connection if you lose connection to CyberGhost servers.
Privacy is also well-protected,as the provider follows a strict no-logs policy and also accepts Bitcoin as payment for its VPN subscriptions.
Native app support includes offerings for the macOS, iOS, Android, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, Linux and Windows device platforms. Extensions for Chrome and Firefox make it easy to access NOW TV from your computer’s browser.
This provider allows up to 7 simultaneous connections on a single account. The service also works well with numerous router makes and models.
CyberGhost also offers a password manager, provides alerts when your email address is exposed in a data breach and more. Windows users can take advantage of the provider’s antivirus and anti-malware protection, privacy customization apps and other security and privacy features.
- Streaming-optimized servers
- Apps are simple to use
- Totally log-free
- All-around security protections
- No router apps
- Few advanced options
EASY TO USE NOW TV CONNECTIONS:CyberGhost is an excellent option for NOW TV viewers. Provides one-click protection for numerous popular devices, along with streaming optimized connections. Comprehensive security and privacy are available here. A 45-day, no-risk money-back guarantee is available.
Read our full review of CyberGhost.
This well-known VPN provider delivers reliable access to NOW TV and numerous other streaming services.
The provider’s global server network boasts 3,300+ servers in more than 80 countries. Private Internet Access (PIA), provides reliable access to NOW TV, Netflix US, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Crunchyroll, Eurosport, HBO Max and Disney+. (The suggests viewing the streaming services in your computer’s browser.)
While PIA’s connection speeds are not the fastest I’ve measured, the VPN’s well-protected connections provide more than enough speed for all of your favorite online activities, including viewing HD video.
All of those fast connections are well-protected, thanks to PIA’s use of government-grade 256-bit AES encryption, IP/DNS leak prevention and a kill switch. The provider also offers blocking for ads, trackers, malware, and malicious sites.
A strict no-logs policy and its acceptance of cryptocurrency as subscription payment means PIA has you covered when it comes to privacy protections.
PIA’s native app offerings include options for Android, iOS, Windows, macOS and Linux devices. It also offers Opera, Chrome and Firefox browser extensions and comprehensive router compatibility. Up to 10 devices can be connected concurrently on a single account.
PIA’s customer support includes live support chat, a trouble ticket form, a searchable support knowledgebase, and troubleshooting guides.
- Comprehensive app support
- Works with NOW TV and other streaming services
- Concurrently connect up to 10 devices at once
- Reliably streams only in-browser
- Doesn’t work properly in overly-restrictive countries
RELIABLE BROWSER-BASED ACCESS TO NOW TV:The provider delivers access to NOW TV for viewers that prefer streaming content in their browser. PIA provides excellent privacy and online security protections. However, it has a few issues in overly restrictive countries. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read our full review of Private Internet Access.
PrivateVPN is one of the fastest-growing VPN services around, and I am happy to recommend it for watching NOW TV content overseas.
This VPN offers some of the fastest VPN speeds available, even though the server network on offer from PrivateVPN is considerably smaller than those of the other providers on this list.
Currently, the provider has over 200 servers in 60+ countries around the world, and this includes 6 servers in the United Kingdom suitable for unblocking NOW TV streams.
With an ultra-high-speed server network and unlimited bandwidth, PrivateVPN can deliver excellent streaming of NOW TV movies, sports and TV shows with no latency, buffering or disconnects, even in HD.
PrivateVPN delivers strong encryption to protect your data and online communications from hackers and thieves, and all the servers on this VPN network use military-grade 256-bit AES encryption code. There’s also a zero-data logging policy, IP leak protection and an internet kill switch feature.
There are apps available for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android.
- Can unblock NOW TV
- Super-fast streaming speeds
- No-logs policy
- Small number of servers compared to other VPN providers
- App support limited to big 4 platforms
GREAT SPEEDS:PrivateVPN offers some of the fastest speeds around and is great for streaming NOW TV in high definition. There’s a number of good privacy features available and also a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of PrivateVPN.
Methodology for Assessing VPNs for NOW TV
When considering a VPN service provider to access NOW TV, there are several important factors to keep in mind. Just any old VPN won’t do the job, as not all of them offer the necessary features and performance.
Here are the critical considerations of the VPN providers that I assessed, and why each one are important:
- Connection Speeds: Fast connections are an important factor for full enjoyment of streaming services, such as NOW TV. No one wants to wait while a movie buffers or to see artifacts while enjoying the movie once it starts. I regularly perform connection speed tests. Each VPN I include on my lists provide reliably fast connection speeds.
- Server Network: No matter what online activity you’re engaging in, a large global server network is your ally. Also, the more servers in a single location helps keep performance as high as possible, as no single server should be bogged down with too many users.
- Value: The price of a VPN service provider is an important consideration for many users. Always consider the features of any VPN you’re intending to subscribe to, and compare them to the VPN’s asking price. All of the VPNs on my lists offer an above-average value for what they offer.
- Ease of Use: Easy to use apps are always a plus, as this makes it simpler to connect and start streaming immediately. Also make sure the VPN provider offers native app support for your preferred streaming platform. If a VPN doesn’t offer a native app for your device, look for router support. Each VPN that I include on my list offers multi-platform support with intuitive apps.
- Security and Privacy: While this article is all about using a VPN to access your favorite NOW TV content, a VPN is also an important tool for protecting your online security and privacy. All of the VPNs on my list offer, at a minimum, government-grade encryption, an automatic kill switch and DNS/IP leak protection, and usually more. None of the VPNs I recommend keep logs related to your online activities.
While the above factors are important considerations when selecting a VPN, my research doesn’t end here. Evaluating the factors listed above is just a small part of my overall VPN testing methodology. This data-driven approach helps me to better understand the VPN services, allowing me to recommend VPN providers that are a good fit for my readers’ needs.
Can I Use a Free VPN to Access NOW TV?
Plenty of free VPNs are available, but I’ve never found one that was reliable and secure enough to make the inconveniences and risks worthwhile.
Free VPNs come with a number of downsides which mean they may cost you more than you expect.
The first thing to mention is that free VPNs do not have good server networks, so you will be limited when it comes to where you can connect and what content you can unlock.
It’s also true that free VPN servers use bandwidth caps and throttling to limit how much a single user can use them. This is not ideal for streaming movies, sports or TV in high quality.
You also don’t get much in the way of encryption standards, privacy, or protection against online threats. In fact, one of the ways free VPNs make money is by selling data on their users to advertisers.
In the opinion of both myself and most cybersecurity advisors, it is always worth paying the relatively low subscription fee for a top VPN.
How Do I Access NOW TV?
NOW TV is a U.K.-based streaming service operated by the Sky TV network.
The service offers various subscription packages divided by program type, with Movies, Sports, Entertainment, Kids TV and “hayu” reality TV passes available.
To register, you need to select the passes you want and pay a rolling monthly cost. NOW TV accepts all major credit and debit cards (excluding American Express and Maestro). There is also a free 7-day trial available for new users.
If you try to connect to the service from outside of the U.K., you’ll be told that NOW TV is not available in your region. To get around this, you must connect with a U.K.-based VPN server.
What Else Can I Do With a VPN?
In this article, I have shown you how to use a VPN to access NOW TV from overseas, but there are a number of other useful things a VPN can do for you.
A VPN can reliably unblock other censored websites and streaming services, such as Netflix, Hulu and BBC iPlayer. A VPN can also allow you to safely access public Wi-Fi and securely torrent files and content.
NOW TV VPN FAQs
Is It Legal to Use a VPN for NOW TV?
It is legal to use a VPN to view NOW TV. The worst that could happen is that NOW TV will block the VPN-provided IP address. If this happens, simply connect to another VPN server in the U.K.
Does NOW TV Work From Abroad?
Unfortunately, NOW TV is not available to viewers outside of the British Isles. Luckily, British ex-pats and international travelers can use a VPN to make it appear as if they are back home, which allows them to view NOW TV.
Which Devices is NOW TV Available For?
NOW TV is available on most popular connected devices, including Windows and Mac computers, iOS and Android mobile devices, Xbox One and PS4 game consoles, Roku and Apple TV set-top boxes and numerous Smart TVs.
If you’ve been looking to watch all the great content on offer from NOW TV while you’re abroad, you may have run into some blocks and believed it was impossible to get the service overseas.
However, as I have discussed in this article, by taking some simple steps and signing up for NordVPN, anyone can watch their favorite NOW TV movies, sports and entertainment shows abroad.
- Does a VPN Help Me Watch NOW TV?
- How to Watch NOW TV Abroad With a VPN
- What Is the Best VPN for NOW TV?
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. Private Internet Access
- 6. PrivateVPN
- Methodology for Assessing VPNs for NOW TV
- Can I Use a Free VPN to Access NOW TV?
- How Do I Access NOW TV?
- What Else Can I Do With a VPN?
- NOW TV VPN FAQs
- Is It Legal to Use a VPN for NOW TV?
- Does NOW TV Work From Abroad?
- Which Devices is NOW TV Available For?