ITV Hub (formerly known as ITV Player) offers some of the best United Kingdom-created video content available on the internet today. The website/app offers popular dramas, comedies, sports, and more.
The bad news: It’s only available if you’re located inside U.K. borders. This can be a pain for UK residents traveling abroad, or UK ex-pats living abroad. This is especially a pain during big events, like the 2020 UEFA European Football Championship (Euro 2020), which is ongoing at the time of this article.
Can a VPN Help Me Watch ITV Hub From Outside the UK?
The good news: ITV fans can still view their favorite shows by using a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
A VPN has the ability to make it appear that you’re inside the United Kingdom, opening up access to the service’s fine programming.
When considering a VPN for use with ITV Hub, always make sure the provider has servers located in the U.K., provides swift connection speeds, offers comprehensive multi-platform support, and has been tested to prove that it works to open up access to ITV Hub.
Best ITV Hub VPNs
We did testing of our favorite VPN providers, and our test results show the following seven VPNs work best to unblock ITV Hub:
- NordVPN: #1 VPN for viewing ITV Hub. In addition to reliable access to streaming services like ITV Hub, NordVPN provides fast connections, comprehensive security and privacy features, and much more.
- Surfshark: Best bargain VPN for ITV Hub. Surfshark provides fast connections, reliable access to geo-blocked content, excellent protection and more, all for a low price.
- ExpressVPN: Premium VPN services. Reliable servers located in the UK, along with fast, streaming capable and well-protected connections make this provider a good option for those who don’t mind paying a bit more for VPN services.
- CyberGhost: Good option for rookie VPN users. This provider’s easy-to-use app selection which supports most popular devices, along with its fast download speeds make it a good option for first-time VPN users.
- Private Internet Access: Reliable access to ITV Hub. This provider’s still expanding global server network provides excellent protection, as well as access to ITV Hub and other streamers in many areas around the globe.
- PrivateVPN: Small server network, but excellent performance. The provider allows up to 6 speedy, well-protected connections at once. Delivers reliable access to content in many locations around the world.
- Atlas VPN: Unlimited connections to streamers. While the VPN’s global server network coverage could be better, it protects an unlimited number of devices and provides reliable access to ITV Hub and many other streamers.
I evaluated and ranked the top seven VPNs using the following criteria:
- Servers located in the United Kingdom
- Reliable unblocking of ITV Hub
- Fast connection speeds
- Good multi-platform support
- Good security and privacy protections
Here is my list of the best VPNs for ITV Hub:
NordVPN grabs the top spot on this list, as it provides great access to ITV Hub from outside U.K. borders, and fast-uncapped connection speeds.
The provider has more than 5,500 servers, which are located in 60 countries. Most importantly, NordVPN has a large number of VPN servers stationed inside U.K. borders. The provider’s owned-and-operated servers keep outside contractors away from your personal info.
Those conveniently located VPN servers deliver fast connection speeds, making it a valid choice for streaming video content of any type, including ITV Hub. No data caps or bandwidth throttling to be found here.
This provider offers native app coverage for all of the popular computing platforms, including Windows, macOS (with native M1/M2 Mac support), iOS, Android, Amazon Fire, Linux and Android TV devices. Browser extensions are available to protect your Chrome, Edge and Firefox browsing and viewing sessions.
Up to 6 devices can be connected on a single NordVPN login. In addition, the provider supports numerous makes and models of routers, offering protections for all of your devices via a single connection.
Those apps offer military-grade encryption and kill-switch-protected connections on all platforms. The provider’s NordLynx protocol is based on WireGuard and is designed to offer both improved protection and performance.
The provider is strictly no logs when it comes to keeping records of their customers’ online travels. Plus, it accepts cryptocurrency to protect your payment info. The provider’s servers are all run directly from RAM, meaning no data is written to a physical hard drive, so all data is completely wiped whenever a server is rebooted.
The provider offers around-the-clock support, thanks to its 24/7 live support chat, email support, and searchable support library.
- Plenty of servers located in the U.K.
- Fast connection speeds
- Comprehensive multi-app support
- Reasonably priced
- No streaming-optimized servers listed in apps
BEST VPN for ITV Hub:NordVPN offers fast, reliable connections as well as above-average U.K. server coverage, all for a reasonable price. A 30-day money-back guarantee has you covered in case you decide this provider doesn’t fit your needs.
Read our full review of NordVPN.
Surfshark snagged the runner-up spot in this lineup, thanks to its fast connections, ever-improving global server network, and bargain basement priced multi-year subscription options.
This provider offers reliable access to the U.K.-based streams of ITV Hub, and it also does a good job of providing access to Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and HBO.
The provider’s global server coverage numbers currently tally in at 3,200+ servers located in over 64 countries, which is more than double what it was a short time ago.
Surfshark’s connection speeds are easily up to handling ITV Hub’s HD streams and almost anything else you may have in mind. There are no data caps or bandwidth limitations to worry about.
Surfshark’s online security protections are up to industry standards, with military-level encryption, as well as a kill switch, and ad and malware-blocking protection.
Your privacy is equally well protected, as the provider keeps no server logs of any kind and accepts Bitcoin as payment.
Native app support includes apps for Windows, macOS (including M1/M2 Mac support), iOS, Android, Amazon Fire, Linux and Android TV device platforms. Firefox, Edge and Chrome browser extensions are available.
Surfshark allows an unlimited number of devices to connect to their servers on a single login all at once. However, there may be devices that aren’t covered by the service’s app support, so it’s good to know router compatibility is at the ready.
The provider’s always-available support includes 24/7 support chat, email, a contact form and a searchable support library.
- ITV Hub access
- Unlimited concurrent connections
- Excellent security and privacy protections
- Fast connections
- Fast-growing server network
- Customization options somewhat lacking
BEST BUDGET VPN PROVIDER:Surfshark provides access to ITV Hub and allows an unlimited number of simultaneous VPN connections on a single username, making it an excellent option for large families and other movie-loving groups of folks. The provider’s budget-priced multi-year subscription options are an attractive option for folks on a budget. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read our full review of Surfshark.
ExpressVPN is an attractive, if expensive, VPN option for use with ITV Hub. Folks who are willing to pay a bit more for a premium VPN provider will appreciate this provider.
The British Virgin Islands-based VPN provider has 3,000+ servers in 94 countries, with multiple servers located inside the United Kingdom. The service provides reliable unblocking of ITV Hub content. (It also does an above-average job of unblocking Netflix, Hulu, and other streaming content from other countries.)
ExpressVPN provides blazingly fast connection speeds, making it a perfect choice for streaming video content, such as that offered by ITV Hub.
Those high-speed connections are protected with military-grade encryption and a kill switch feature on desktop apps that drops your internet connection if you lose touch with the ExpressVPN servers.
Since ITV Hub is available on various computer and device platforms, it’s essential that any VPN provider you consider supports all of the popular devices available today. ExpressVPN has you covered there, with native apps for the macOS, iOS, Android, Android TV, Windows, Linux, and Amazon Fire devices. Chrome, Edge, and Firefox browser extensions are available to protect in-browser viewing sessions.
While this provider allows only 5 simultaneous connections using the same username, it does provide excellent compatibility with a large number of routers. This allows users to protect multiple connected devices via a single connection.
ExpressVPN is located in the privacy-respecting British Virgin Islands, which has no laws requiring VPNs and ISPs located in the country to keep user logs of any kind. The VPN takes advantage of this by keeping no logs of any kind in relation to your online travels. It also runs all servers on its proprietary TrustedServer technology which runs all server operations directly from RAM, wiping all data from the server when it is rebooted.
ExpressVPN support options include always-there support chat, email support, contact form, and a searchable support library.
- Works well to unblock ITV Hub and other streaming services
- Fast connections speeds
- Excellent global server coverage, with servers inside the U.K.
- Well-encrypted, kill switch-protected connections
- More expensive than other providers
- Only allows 5 simultaneous connections
QUICK AND RELIABLE VPN:ExpressVPN is an attractive choice for streamers who are willing to pay a bit more for a premium VPN service. The provider has multiple servers located inside U.K. borders and delivers fast connection speeds that are perfect for streaming your favorite videos from ITV Hub and other streaming sites, like Netflix. A 30-day money-back guarantee makes it a no-brainer to give it a try.
Read our full review of ExpressVPN.
CyberGhost is an excellent option for first-time VPN users who are looking for a reliable way to unblock ITV Hub shows.
The provider’s apps are simple to use, making it easy for rookie VPN users to open access to ITV content while outside of the U.K. and to protect their online activities.
The provider protects its users’ online activities from being exposed due to its use of military-grade encryption, a kill switch, ad, tracker, and malware blocking, and much more. The provider has recently introduced a password manager, improved antivirus features, and a tool to allow users to customize how much personal information Microsoft has access to.
This provider keeps no logs of any kind related to their users’ online activities. This means no one will ever have access to information about your online antics.
CyberGhost offers easy-to-use and reliable apps for Android, Android TV, iOS, macOS, Linux, Windows, and Amazon Fire devices. browser extensions are available for the Chrome and Firefox platforms. The provider’s excellent router features will protect your other devices, and you can have up to 7 devices connected at once.
The provider has the globe and the U.K. well-covered with VPN servers, with 8,100+ servers, located in 90+ countries.
CyberGhost delivers fast connections, making it a good choice for streaming any type of video content.
24/7 customer support offerings include support chat, a trouble ticket system and a support library.
- Easy-to-use apps
- Fast connection speeds
- Up to 7 simultaneous connections
- Server coverage isn’t as comprehensive as some other providers
- Missing some “advanced” options
BEST FOR BEGINNERS:CyberGhost offers an easy-to-use, yet secure VPN, providing fast connections for up to 7 devices at a time. The provider’s 45-day no-risk guarantee offers a longer tryout period than other providers on this list.
Read our full review of CyberGhost.
Private Internet Access (PIA) provides reliable access to ITV Hub when you’re outside of the United Kingdom.
The provider has 3,300+ servers stationed in more than 80 countries (with plenty of servers spread among three U.K. locations). This provides reliable access to ITV Hub, as well as geo-controlled streams from most anywhere in the world.
The provider ‘s native support includes offerings for Android, Android TV, iOS, Windows, macOS and Linux devices. Chrome, Opera and Firefox browser extensions provide protection for your in-browser viewing sessions. The provider’s router features provide online protection for all of your connected devices.
Up to 10 devices can be simultaneously connected by a single user.
PIA’s connection speeds, while not the fastest I’ve ever seen, will provide sufficient bandwidth for your streaming and other online activities. The provider never ruins your fun with data caps or bandwidth throttling.
The provider’s connections are well-protected by banking-grade encryption, IP/DNS leak prevention, and kill switch protection. Ad, tracker, malware and harmful site blocking are also available.
PIA’s servers are run on a no logs basis, and the provider accepts Bitcoin as subscription payment, keeping both your online usage and your payment info incognito.
A live support chat option, trouble ticket tracking form, and searchable support database are available in your time of need.
- Access streaming platforms, including ITV Hub
- Comprehensive online connection protection
- Excellent app support
- No streaming-optimized servers listed in apps
- Has issues working in some restrictive countries
RELIABLE ACCESS TO ITV HUB:Private Internet Access offers reasonably fast and well-protected connections are a great fit for popular online pastimes, including ITV Hub and other streaming services. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
PrivateVPN offers reliable access to U.K.-based ITV Hub content, and even works from inside China, which is a major advantage for regular visitors to the home of the Great Firewall.
While this provider hasn’t been on the scene as long as some of the other VPNs on this list, it has quickly gained a reputation as a reliable, speedy provider.
Although this provider scores well below our other contenders when it comes to global server coverage, with only 200+ servers in 60+ countries, rest assured that it offers VPN servers in the U.K., providing reliable access to ITV shows.
If you’re using your VPN for other online activities, keep in mind that PrivateVPN is located in Sweden, where the government has shown a willingness to attempt to invade the privacy of online users. However, the provider holds to a strict no-logs policy, keeping no records of their users’ online shenanigans.
The provider also offers IPv6 leak protection and military-grade encryption to keep your online activities secure and private.
Fast connections are the rule with PrivateVPN, provided via apps for the macOS, iOS, Windows and Android platforms.
PrivateVPN customer support is available as online chat, a non searchable FAQ section and email.
- Servers located in the U.K.
- Fast connection speeds
- Excellent privacy protections
- Global server coverage is lacking
- No browser extensions
GREAT FOR RESTRICTIVE COUNTRIES:PrivateVPN allows users to have up to 6 devices connected at once, even from inside China. Fast connections are the rule, along with top-notch privacy. Users have 30 days to ask for their money back if PrivateVPN isn’t the right VPN for their needs.
Read our full review of PrivateVPN.
Atlas VPN’s fast, well-encrypted connections provide reliable access to ITV Hub and other popular streaming services.
The provider’s global server network measures in at a mere 750+ servers spread among 32+ countries, including the U.K. That said, the network delivers reliable access to ITV Hub and other geo-controlled streaming content in countries where it has servers.
Atlas VPN delivers download speeds that ranked in the top 10 in my most recent connection speed testing. No data caps or bandwidth limitations to worry about here.
Banking-grade encryption, kill switch, and other protective measures keep those fast connections well protected. The provider’s Safebrowse and Safebrowse Plus features protects users from various online browsing dangers while also blocking ads.
All Atlas VPN servers run 100% logs free, meaning there are no records of your online activities. However, if you prefer to pay using cryptocurrency, you will need to look elsewhere for your VPN services.
App support from the provider include options for Android, iOS, macOS, Windows, Android TV and Amazon Fire TV devices. While there is currently no support for Linux, browser extensions, or routers, all three are reportedly in development.
There is no limit on the number of devices that can be simultaneously connected to the provider’s servers on a single account.
Paying customers can live chat with support agents. Meanwhile, everyone has access to email-based support, a contact form, and a support library.
- Streaming-ready download speeds
- Supports most popular connected devices
- Comprehensive online protection
- Lacks router support
- No support for browsers or Linux
- Server coverage stand expansion
UNLIMITED PROTECTED ACCESS TO STREAMS:Atlas VPN provides fast, well-protected, and reliable access to ITV Hub, as well as other geo-fenced online services. The provider allows you to connect an unlimited number of devices. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Methodology for Assessing VPNs for ITV Hub
When researching VPNs for viewing ITV Hub (and other streaming services) from abroad, there are several considerations to mull over.
These are the main aspects of VPN providers that I research and consider, and why they are important:
- Connection Speed: Streaming video requires fast download speeds. Slow speeds lead to extended buffering and pauses in the action as the stream struggles to catch up. I regularly perform VPN connection speed tests to ensure that each provider on my lists offer streaming-capable connection speeds.
- Streaming Access: If you want to get the most from your streaming service subscriptions, you want a VPN that can access geo-fenced streaming content around the globe. The VPNs I include on lists like this all offer reliable access to ITV Hub and other streaming services, including Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and more.
- Global Server Network: The larger the global server network, the better access it provides to content in other regions of the globe. Also, look for providers that have a large number of servers stationed in each country, as it helps prevent servers from being hit with an overload of users, slowing its performance.
- Value: Make sure that any VPN’s asking price isn’t out of line with the features and protection that it offers. The providers on my lists offer an excellent return on investment.
- Ease of Use: VPN apps should make it easy to select a server, connect, and start viewing your favorite content. Native support for your favorite streaming device, browser, or router is also a must. The VPNs I include on my lists offer easy-to-use apps for most popular device platforms.
- Security and Privacy: Any VPN you consider should provide (at the very least) banking-level encryption, an automatic kill switch and DNS/IP leak protection. Additional protections and services are a bonus. All of the providers on my list offer excellent protection and none of them save any server logs connected to your online activities.
Now, it may seem that my research ends here. However, this list includes just a few of the factors I consider during my comprehensive VPN testing methodology. My data-driven approach allows me to readily determine each VPN’s service offerings and to only recommend VPNs that are a good fit for your needs.
How To Watch ITV Hub Using a VPN
When you get the hankering for a bit of your favorite ITV shows, it only takes a few steps to open access to your favorite series.
- Subscribe to your VPN of choice.
- Download the software for your device. Enter your login information.
- Select a VPN server located in the United Kingdom.
- Connect to the ITV Hub website or use the ITV Hub app for your device of choice.
If you don’t already have an account with ITV, go ahead and create one. Be sure to use a U.K. postal code, as that’s one of the ways the ITV Hub player confirms your eligibility for viewing their content.
While everything should stream smoothly once you connect to ITV, you may find that the ITV Hub content isn’t unblocked on your first attempt. If so, try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies and then refreshing the page.
If that doesn’t work, disconnect from your VPN provider and select another server. If all else fails, contact customer support.
Can I Use a Free VPN to View ITV Hub Shows?
While it’s certainly possible to view ITV Hub shows via a free VPN provider, I can almost guarantee the experience will be less than enjoyable.
So-called free VPN providers often put a limit on the bandwidth and data usage that free users can use. Plus, they may make you wait in a queue before connecting to a VPN server.
If you’re getting a “free” service on the internet, there’s a very good possibility that you are the product being sold. Many free VPNs keep track of your online activities and sell that information to advertisers and other interested parties. Plus, they may inject tracking cookies and ads into your browsing sessions.
Global server coverage is also usually limited when it comes to free VPN providers, as they limit your access to the servers in an attempt to encourage you to purchase their paid VPN service.
Personally, I’d rather spring for a paid VPN – one that doesn’t keep track of my online antics and provides fast speeds with no data caps.