Singapore has many things going for it: an excellent education system, an efficient healthcare system, and four of the World’s 50 most delicious foods. Sadly, one of the things they don’t have is access to the American version of Netflix.
Singapore’s internet penetration stands at 99%, with a Q2 2021 average connection speed of 242.17 Mbps.
Singapore denizens and visitors do have access to a Singaporean version of Netflix, but no access to the United States version of the service. While there is a goodly amount of content on the Singapore service, it’s missing much of the content available in the U.S.
A Sampling of Netflix’s American Content Offerings
I’ve taken a look at the Singapore edition of the streaming service, and while the content looks entertaining, there are plenty of shows missing from my usual U.S. binge candidates.
The easy way to access US Netflix in Singapore...
You don’t need to relocate to access the US Netflix library, all you need is a VPN, but not all VPNs will work.
I’ve tested a lot of VPNs and I find NordVPN to be the most reliable for access to Netflix USA and many other countries.
It’s really fast as well so you can binge in HD without the buffering.
NordVPN has a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free.
Why American Netflix Can’t Be Accessed in Singapore
Although a Netflix subscriber’s login will gain them access to any of Netflix’s regional versions, the content they can access is limited to that which is available from inside the country they are in. So, if you’re visiting Singapore, no U.S. Netflix content for you!
When you enter “https://netflix.com” into your browser, or when you open the Netflix app, you are automatically routed to the content that is licensed for viewing inside the country you’re in, not the country where you signed up.
Netflix doesn’t arbitrarily place these restrictions on what you watch. Life would actually be easier for the streaming giant if they could allow global access to their entire catalog. However, Netflix’s content providers have their own prerogatives.
Why Is American Netflix Content Not Available in Singapore?
The content you view while using Netflix is licensed from movie studios and television networks. The streaming service signs licensing agreements for each region where the service is available. That agreement limits access to the content to that specific region.
While there is some crossover in what is available in each country, these contracts lead to much of the content that’s available in one country not being available in other countries. This means Netflix is required to ensure access is limited to the designated areas. Otherwise, they get visits from the studio and network lawyers. (And no one likes those guys!)
How Does Netflix Prevent Non-Residents From Viewing American Netflix Content?
When your computer, mobile device, or other connected device connects to the internet, it’s assigned a unique IP address. The IP address works much like your home’s postal address. That’s how the internet knows what information your device is sending and receiving.
All countries are assigned a range of IP addresses that are to be used by devices inside their borders. Netflix can tell where a viewer’s connection originates merely by checking their IP address. The viewer can then be directed to the correct content for their country.
How a VPN Provides Access to Netflix Content
What Is a VPN?
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) offers a suite of helpful tools that allow their customers to protect their online activities from prying eyes.
A VPN encrypts a user’s connection, making it nearly impossible for third parties to monitor your online travels, keeping your personal and business-related information safe from theft.
More importantly (at least for the usage scenarios we’ll discuss in this article), a VPN has the ability to make it appear as if a customer’s connection is originating somewhere other than their actual physical location.
This location “spoofing” ability makes a VPN a perfect tool to use for accessing Netflix content in other countries.
How a VPN Enables Access to American Netflix Content
A VPN’s “spoofing” ability opens up access to U.S. Netflix movies and TV shows in the following manner.
A user loads his VPN app and selects a server in the U.S. This makes it appear as if the user is inside the U.S. He connects to Netflix, and the streaming service, seeing a U.S. IP address, directs the user to that country’s movies and shows.
Sounds easy, right? And for a good long while, it was. Then Netflix got hip to the VPN action and started preventing VPN access to its service.
Netflix became quite proficient at detecting when a VPN was being used to access its content. They then began blacklisting the IP addresses used by the VPN servers. The streamer became so good at this that smaller VPN services, those with limited resources, opted to drop support for accessing Netflix.
Some VPN providers still hang in there even today, although they can sometimes be slow to react when Netflix denies access to their servers.
Luckily, there are still VPN services that offer access to Netflix and react quickly when they find out the streamer has blacklisted their IP addresses. The best of these remaining VPN services is NordVPN.
Methodology for Assessing a VPN to Watch American Netflix in Singapore
Just because a VPN provider has servers stationed in the United States, that doesn’t automatically mean they’re capable of reliably accessing Netflix, or of offering an enjoyable streaming experience.
These are the most important features to consider when weighing a VPN for accessing U.S. Netflix:
- Speed: Always consider a VPN’s connection speeds, as that feature is definitely important when it comes to streaming video. Slow connections result in a lower resolution stream or extended buffering times. NordVPN, my recommended VPN for streaming U.S. Netflix from Singapore, offers fast download speeds.
- Server Network: While this article is focused on watching US Netflix from inside Singapore, making it important to make sure that your VPN offers servers in the U.S., it is also important to research its presence in other countries around the globe. This will allow you to access Netflix and other streamers in other countries as well. A large number of servers is also a plus, as that means the servers won’t be overloaded with users, equaling better performance.
- Value: A VPN should offer a good value for its asking price. Never settle for a VPN service that doesn’t offer the features and functionality you need for a reasonable price. NordVPN is a reasonably-priced provider that offers quite a bit in return for your hard-earned money.
- Ease of Use: Even powerful VPN apps should not be complicated to use. Plus, Netflix is available on numerous connected devices, so the more devices the VPN supports, the better. NordVPN offers easy-to-use apps for a large variety of device platforms.
- Security and Privacy: Your online security and privacy are important, even if you’re just bingeing your favorite show. If you’re connected to the internet, you’re exposed to the dangers of the web. A VPN should offer, at the very least, banking-grade encryption, a kill switch, and DNS and IP leak protection. In addition, the VPN should never save server logs recording your online activities. NordVPN offers all of the above and more.
- Streaming: Netflix may be the best-known streaming service but it is certainly not the only one. I’d venture to say that most of you that are reading this are subscribed to multiple streaming services. This means that you’ll want to find a VPN that reliably provides access to as many services as possible. NordVPN offers reliable access to streaming services such as Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more.
Check out more information about my VPN testing methodology.
NordVPN provides, arguably, the best way to access Netflix content from other countries. The provider does an optimal job of keeping the lines open to Netflix, no matter where you’re currently located.
During the time I’ve used the provider, I have consistently received fast connection speeds and excellent customer support from NordVPN. Also, the provider offers a large number of global server options and excellent privacy protections, as well as apps for all of the devices I use.
I have, on average, seen protected connections from NordVPN that easily handle Netflix’s HD and 4K streams. Using NordVPN with a Singaporean connection should result in speeds that are more than up to matching Netflix’s bandwidth requirements.
While a fast connection is always important no matter what your online activity is, speed is king when you’re streaming video.
NordVPN provides optimal multi-platform support, with apps for all major connected device platforms, including Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire, Linux, and Android TV devices. Browser extensions are available to protect your Chrome and Firefox viewing sessions. Router support is also available, including pre-configured routers. Up to 6 simultaneous connections on a single account is allowed by NordVPN.
A month-to-month NordVPN subscription will cost you less than a mid-range Netflix subscription. The provider’s one-year and two-year subscription options save 58% and 68%, respectively, off of the month-to-month subscription.
A 30-day money-back guarantee is available for all subscription plans.
If a NordVPN customer has an issue with their service, they can contact a customer support agent any time, night or day, via the provider’s 24/7 live support chat option.
A trouble ticket submission system and a searchable support library are available to lend aid in non-critical situations.
Global Server Coverage
5,200+ servers, strategically positioned in 60 countries around the globe, adds up to some pretty sweet global content-unlocking power.
NordVPN doesn’t keep any server logs connected to their users’ online travels. A Bitcoin option is available for privacy-minded customers looking to protect their payment information.
American Netflix in Singapore FAQs
Why Are United States Netflix Shows Not Available in Singapore?
Netflix contracts for its content on a country-by-country basis. This means that content that might be available in one country isn't available in some other countries.
How Do I Watch Singapore Netflix From Another Country?
Check to make sure your VPN provider has servers located in Singapore. Then, run your VPN app, select a Singapore server (which is much different from a Singapore Sling), and then connect to Netflix. You should now have access to Netflix's content intended for Singapore.
Is Schitt's Creek on Netflix in Singapore?
No, due to the streaming service's content licensing contracts, Schitt's Creek is not available for viewing on Netflix Singapore. However, by using a reliable VPN (like NordVPN), you can connect to a VPN server in the United States and view Schitt's Creek on US Netflix.
When you’re ready to settle into your favorite Singapore Sling (be it a drink or a hammock) and binge a bit on your favorite shows, NordVPN makes it possible.
NordVPN provides the best access to Netflix thanks to its speedy connections, optimal global server coverage, and top-notch device support. In addition, the provider offers some of the best customer support and privacy protections in the VPN industry.
- The easy way to access US Netflix in Singapore...
- Why American Netflix Can’t Be Accessed in Singapore
- How a VPN Provides Access to Netflix Content
- Methodology for Assessing a VPN to Watch American Netflix in Singapore
- Best VPN to Use in Singapore: NordVPN
- American Netflix in Singapore FAQs
- Why Are United States Netflix Shows Not Available in Singapore?
- How Do I Watch Singapore Netflix From Another Country?
- Is Schitt's Creek on Netflix in Singapore?