Whether you’re a Canadian ex-pat or simply traveling outside of the country on vacation, chances are you can benefit from using a Canadian IP address. In this post, we explain how you can use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to get a Canadian IP address from anywhere around the globe.
By spoofing your location, you’ll be able to access geo-restricted Canadian sites, including streaming services like Netflix Canada, TSN Direct, and CTV, as well as other restricted sites such as online banking services.
The IP address system is the ID system used on the internet; every device connected to the internet has a unique IP address, which includes, among other information, your geo-location. Many services geo-restrict their content and enforce those restrictions using IP address detection. This means you may not be able to access your usual services while abroad. Thankfully, a VPN can mask your location by providing you with an IP address from a country of your choosing. It does this by tunneling your traffic through an intermediary VPN server in that country.
This means you can get a Canadian IP address (and make it appear that you’re in Canada) from anywhere in the world. So no matter where you are, you can access content from streaming sites like DAZN, Rogers NFL Live, and Sportsnet Now, as well as log in to other services such as online banking with CIBC, RBC, or TD. A bonus of using a VPN is that it encrypts all of the traffic running to and from your device, protecting your information from hackers and other snoopers.
How do I get a Canadian IP address from abroad?
Follow these steps to get your internet freedom back and continue to use all the services you can get in Canada.
- Choose a VPN (I recommend NordVPN).
- Download and install the appropriate VPN app for your device.
- Connect to one of the VPN’s Canadian servers.
- Surf to a Canadian-restricted site, such as the CBC, and you should be able to view content with no issues.
GET A CANADIAN IP ADDRESS FOR FREE: If you just need a Canadian IP address temporarily, for example, if you’re planning a vacation, you can take advantage of NordVPN’s deal. This provider offers a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can use the service for a month and get a refund at the end, no questions asked.
How to choose the right VPN for a Canadian IP address
When composing a list of the best services to get a Canadian IP address from abroad, there were a number of attributes that we looked for. The top VPNs must have:
- Multiple servers in Canada
- A self-installing, easy-to-use app
- Solid customer support
- High speeds
- Cloaking technology
Best VPNs for a Canadian IP address
Here is our list of the best VPNs to get a Canadian IP address:
NordVPN is my top overall choice for VPN to use to get a Canadian IP address. The app is easy to navigate and includes handy features like the option to select a server from a map instead of a dropdown list. You get access to more than 5,400 servers in 59 countries, including 480+ servers in three locations in Canada. This service is excellent at enabling access to video streaming services and evading detection.
The provider offers the fastest connection speeds available from any VPN I’ve tested, and it offers these fast speeds at a low price.
Security measures include 256-bit AES encryption and a 2048-bit key RSA cipher. The app includes a kill switch and web addresses are referenced through a private DNS service. There are also options for double-hop VPN (where your traffic goes through two VPN servers) and Tor over VPN. An extra security feature is CyberSec, which will block infected web pages from loading in your browser, strip adverts from the pages you visit, and block popups. NordVPN does not keep any activity logs, so the anonymity of all customers is protected.
Apps are available for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android. You can install the VPN manually on Linux, Blackberry, Raspberry Pi, and on select routers. NordVPN allows six devices to be connected simultaneously.
- Great value for money
- Fastest connection speeds around
- A huge server network with many Canadian options
- Extensive selection of security features
- Keeps no logs of user activity
- Apps are not extremely user-friendly
BEST VPN FOR CANADIAN IP ADDRESS:With excellent unblocking capabilities and an array of security features, NordVPN gives plenty of bang for your buck. A 30-day money-back guarantee sweetens the deal.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Surfshark excels with its fast speeds, unlimited simultaneous connections allowance, and plenty of Canadian IP addresses, all offered at a low price.
This provider boasts 3,200+ servers in 65 countries, including Canada (where it has 90 servers in 3 locations around the country).
Surfshark offers easy-to-install and -use native apps for the iOS, Android, Linux, Windows, macOS, and Fire TV device platforms. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are available to protect your browser sessions, and the provider offers excellent compatibility with numerous router makes and models.
Surfshark has an unlimited concurrent connections policy, meaning you can make it appear as if every connected device is connecting from Canada at the same time. Nice, eh?
The provider’s download speeds can easily handle streaming high-definition video, playing fast-moving online games, and sharing and downloading large files. No daily or monthly bandwidth restrictions spoil your online recreation.
Surfshark protects its users’ connections with banking-grade encryption and kill switch protection. The provider also offers the ability to block ads, trackers, and malware, and offers phishing protection. A “Camouflage Mode” keeps your VPN activity hidden, and a “MultiHop” feature uses two VPN servers to offer added anonymity and protection.
Surfshark never saves any logs on its servers and accepts cryptocurrency as payment for its services.
- Servers provide reliable access to Canadian IP addresses
- Unlimited concurrent connections
- Camouflage and MultiHop features for added anonymity
- Bargain-basement pricing
- Global server coverage still a bit weak but improving
- The single month subscription fee is a bit high
UNLIMITED SIMULTANEOUS CONNECTIONS BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is an alluring VPN option for users who are looking for online security and privacy for small businesses or large families. The provider offers excellent online anonymity, fast connections, and comprehensive app support, all for a low price. Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of Surfshark.
ExpressVPN is one of the best VPN services out there if you are happy to spend a little more. It’s simple to set up and very easy to use. If you run into problems, a competent support team is available on live chat, 24/7. The company has 3,000 servers in 94 countries, including Canada where it has servers in Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver.
ExpressVPN is great at getting around VPN detection systems and regional restrictions and can provide access to Netflix Canada, TSN, and many other Canadian sites. Plus, its servers are optimized for speed, making the service ideal for streaming video.
You get great security with ExpressVPN. The company is based in the British Virgin Islands and it doesn’t keep logs of customer activities. You can be sure that your software doesn’t connect to the internet without VPN protection by enabling a kill switch in the app. The service also includes a private DNS service and all communications are protected by 256-bit AES encryption. Session establishment is protected by 4096-bit RSA public-key encryption.
ExpressVPN plans include apps for Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android, Android TV, Chromebook, and Amazon Fire. The service also works with select routers. Plus, browser extensions are available for the Chrome, Edge, and Firefox platforms. You can connect three 5 devices to the service simultaneously. If you install it on your router, that counts as only one connection, even though it covers all of the devices in your home.
- Fast speeds for streaming video
- Easy-to-use apps for all operating systems, including Linux and some routers
- Excellent at bypassing geo-restriction measures
- Top-quality technical support available via live chat
- Top-notch security and privacy features
- Only 5 simultaneous connections
BEST VPN FOR CANADA: GREAT WORLDWIDE COVERAGE:ExpressVPN provides a high-speed, reliable connection ideal for streaming and other everyday tasks. Best-in-class Above-average security features and ease of use secure its position as a firm favorite make it a great choice. You can try this service risk-free with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of ExpressVPN.
CyberGhost offers a beginner-friendly app and lightning-fast speeds, great for channeling video streams through the VPN. The service gives you access to more than 7,000 servers in 91 countries and there are 306 servers in three locations in Canada.
CyberGhost implements very strong security. Session establishment is protected by 4096-bit RSA public key encryption and connections are protected by a 256-bit key AES cipher. The app includes a kill switch to prevent software on your device from connecting to the internet without the VPN being active. The company doesn’t keep any activity logs and doesn’t hold any subscriber details on its servers.
Apps are available for Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV, and Amazon Fire Stick. The VPN can be installed manually on Linux devices and select routers. Browser extensions are available for the Chrome and Firefox platforms. Seven simultaneous connections are allowed on each plan.
- Attractive and well-planned app
- Fast speeds for streaming video
- Very strong encryption
- Accessing customer support loses you anonymity
- Not many advanced options
BEGINNER-FRIENDLY:Simple setup and an easy-to-use interface, along with great streaming abilities, make this an ideal choice, especially for beginners. Most plans come with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
IPVanish is based in the US and has more than 1,600 servers in close to 60 countries. In Canada, there are a total of 55 servers – 20 in Toronto, 6 in Vancouver, and 29 in Montreal.
IPVanish has very fast speeds, which makes this a good choice for streaming video from Canada while abroad.
This provider is particularly popular with torrenters and Kodi users as its Android app is remote control-friendly and the APK can be downloaded directly. Security measures include 256-bit encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. Your privacy is protected as IPVanish doesn’t keep any activity logs.
Apps are available for Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV, and Amazon Fire Stick. You can install the service manually on Linux and some routers. Browser extensions aren’t currently available. Unlimited simultaneous connections are allowed per account.
- Easy-to-use apps
- Fast speeds for downloading and video streaming
- Unlimited simultaneous connections allowed
- No browser extensions
- No Bitcoin payment option
10 CONNECTIONS:IPVanish could be an excellent fit if you want fast speeds and to cover a large number of devices. Plans include a 7-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Methodology for Assessing VPNs for a Canadian IP Address
A VPN service provider must offer servers in Canada in order for you to get a Canadian IP address from it. However, there are other important factors to consider as well, which is why you can’t choose just any provider to get what you need.
These are the most critical aspects of VPNs to be on the lookout for, and which I ensured each VPN provider I recommended offers:
- Speed: Always look for fast speeds from a provider. Otherwise, you may be stuck waiting a long time for things to load, especially streaming video. All of the VPN service providers on my list scored excellently during my most recent connection speed tests.
- Server Network: A large server network means that you’ll have access to more countries than just Canada. In addition, a high server count ensures that your speeds will be faster, as no individual server will be overloaded with users trying to connect.
- Value: You’re going to want a VPN that offers enough features and functionality to justify its price. You don’t want to pay an inordinate sum for a VPN that doesn’t even offer what you need, let alone what you want. Each VPN on my list offers its services for a reasonable price, given what they offer.
- Ease of Use: All of the VPNs on my list offer easy-to-use apps, which make it simple to quickly connect to your favorite online activities. In addition, they offer apps for a wide array of platforms, allowing you to connect on your preferred devices as well.
- Security and Privacy: You’re always in danger when you’re using the internet, especially from hackers. That makes security and privacy protections an important consideration. A VPN should offer, at least, banking-level encryption, an automatic kill switch and DNS/IP leak protection to protect you while you’re surfing the web. A strict no-logs policy also protects your digital privacy, keeping anyone from having any idea what you’re up to.
- Streaming: Most VPN users are fans of streaming, so it’s important for any VPN you consider to offer the ability to access and stream your favorite video streaming services. Each VPN on my list offers reliable access to streaming services such as Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and more.
Check out more information about my VPN testing methodology.
Can I get a Canadian IP address from abroad for free?
On your hunt for the right VPN provider, you’ll likely encounter lots of free options. However, you should be cautious of these offers. Many of these free services have been exposed for including no encryption and therefore offer no protection.
It costs a lot of money to set up and run a quality VPN service, so free services often have hidden income streams. Some of them track your activity and sell the information to third parties. Other free services make money through advertisements or by making users watch promotional videos.
Free VPNs are usually slow and have service restrictions on the amount of data throughput that they will allow each month. They offer a limited number of server locations, so it’s unlikely you’ll be able to get a Canadian IP address at all. Even if you do, hordes of users vying for space on a small number of servers will lead to long wait times and unreliable connections.
Overall, it just makes sense to opt for a reputable paid provider.
Accessing Canadian TV and websites
Some sites that you visit from outside of Canada will block you; others will give you the “international” version, so you won’t be able to read the same content that you could have got when you were in Canada. The range of sites that don’t want to grant you access from outside of the country is astonishing. This phenomenon is particularly prevalent among video streaming sites.
You won’t be able to get into those online sports channels that you subscribe to when you are outside of Canada. You won’t be able to get into DAZN even if you are in another country that the service is streamed for. This is because such multinational streaming services restrict your access to the country that you subscribed in. You will also be locked out from SN Now, CraveTV, Amazon Prime, Rogers NFL Live, Sportsnet Now, MLB.TV, TSN Direct, Qello, and Britbox.
You will be able to get into Netflix when you are outside of Canada, but you will be given the video library for the country that you are in.
You can get around all of these problems by making all of your internet connections carry a Canadian return address no matter where you really are.
Get a Canadian IP address with a VPN
There are hundreds of VPNs on the market and it would take you a very long time to research all of them. It isn’t advisable to just sign up for the first service that appears on a search engine’s results page. You could be paying out for a VPN that isn’t any good. Fortunately, we have examined the market and come up with the five best VPNs for accessing Canadian web services.
Getting around the access restrictions that a lot of Canadian websites use is easy. Install a VPN and obtain an IP address that makes it look like you are in Canada, even when you are abroad. Take advantage of the refund periods of the VPNs in our list to try out each service and pick one that works for you.
Canadian IP Address VPN FAQs
Is It Legal to Use a Canadian IP Address?
Yes, it is completely legal to obtain a Canadian IP address by using a VPN. There are no Canadian laws banning the use of VPNs. At worse, Netflix or another provider of geo-blocked content might block the VPN-provided IP address.
Can I Watch Netflix Canada Content From the United States?
Yes. Simply load your VPN app, select a server located inside Canadian borders, then visit the Netflix website or fire up the Netflix app, and enjoy the show! Make sure to use a reliable VPN provider, like ExpressVPN.
How Do I Change My Location to Canada?
You can easily make it appear to the rest of the internet that you're inside Canadian borders by firing up your VPN app and connecting to a VPN server located inside Canadian borders. This will assign a Canadian IP address to your device, making it appear as if you are connecting from inside of Canada.
Can I Use a Canadian Proxy to Grab a Canadian IP Address?
While you can use a proxy to grab a Canadian IP address, a proxy server does not encrypt your connection like a VPN does. This means your online activities are left exposed to the rest of the Internet.
See also: Best VPNs for Canada
- How do I get a Canadian IP address from abroad?
- How to choose the right VPN for a Canadian IP address
- Best VPNs for a Canadian IP address
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. IPVanish
- Methodology for Assessing VPNs for a Canadian IP Address
- Can I get a Canadian IP address from abroad for free?
- Accessing Canadian TV and websites
- Get a Canadian IP address with a VPN
- Canadian IP Address VPN FAQs
- Is It Legal to Use a Canadian IP Address?
- Can I Watch Netflix Canada Content From the United States?
- How Do I Change My Location to Canada?
- Can I Use a Canadian Proxy to Grab a Canadian IP Address?