NordVPN offers a native app for Amazon Fire TV devices. The app works with second-generation-or-later Amazon Fire TV Stick, Fire TV or Fire TV Cube devices.
NordVPN’s app not only helps users unblock geo-blocked video and other content, it also hides your online viewing habits from the prying eyes of your ISP and other overly-interested parties.
SUBSCRIBE TO NORDVPN:Visit the NordVPN website to subscribe. The service offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it risk-free.
It takes only a few minutes to install NordVPN on your Amazon Fire TV Stick. Just follow these instructions:
- On your Amazon Fire TV Stick, using your remote, navigate to the magnifying glass in the upper left-hand corner to access the search bar.
- Search for “NordVPN.”
- Highlight and click on the first search result.
- On the next screen, highlight and click on the NordVPN icon, found under “APPS & GAMES.”
- On the next screen, click the yellow “Get” button.
- The installation should take only a few moments at most to complete (depending on your connection speed). When the installation is complete, click again on the yellow button. (It now reads “Open.”)
- If you already have a NordVPN account (you’ll need one for the rest of the steps), click the “Log In” option. Otherwise, click the “Sign Up” button.
- Once logged in, on the main menu, you’ll see options to “Connect Now” and “Search,” as well as buttons to use to connect to a particular country. You’ll also see options for certain types of connections, such as P2P, Double VPN and more.
If you merely seek to keep your online activities undercover, click “Connect Now.” If you need to access content from another country, click on the button for that country.
- You’ll see a notice asking you to give your permission to connect to the VPN. Click “Continue.” On the next screen, click the “I trust this application” box and then click “OK.” You will then see a prompt informing you that NordVPN wants to set up a VPN connection. Click “OK.”
- You are now connected. Exit the NordVPN app by clicking the Home button on your remote. Enjoy your newly-obtained internet freedom!
When you no longer need a VPN connection, click on the NordVPN icon and click on “Disconnect” to turn off your protected connection.
NordVPN provides top-notch VPN service for users of most connected devices.
Even though it’s not officially supported, I’ve found that many users can and do install the Kodi media player app onto their Amazon Fire TV. A VPN is the perfect companion for Kodi, as it protects your connection and hides your streaming activities from interested parties.
NordVPN keeps no logs of any kind related to their users’ online travels while connected to their servers. Plus, their military-grade connection encryption keeps your online antics undercover.
This provider’s average connection speeds are easily up to handling the high-definition video that Fire TV video streaming apps provide, even the 4K content that some Fire TV models deliver.
NordVPN delivers native app support for the macOS, iOS, Android, Windows, Linux and Android TV platforms. It offers extensions for Chrome and Firefox browsers, and the provider also works with numerous makes and models of routers.
TRY NORDVPN RISK-FREE:NordVPN offers multiple subscription options, ranging from 1 month to 3 years. The longer the subscription, the bigger the savings. The provider offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For more information about NordVPN, read our full review.
Using NordVPN With a First-Generation Fire TV Device
VPN apps are not compatible with the first-generation Amazon Fire TV Stick. While you may be able to install a VPN app, it will not stay connected in the background once you load another app.
Luckily, you can still use NordVPN with your Amazon Fire TV device. Here’s how.
Use NordVPN With a Router
NordVPN is compatible with many routers running the DD-WRT, Tomato, Padavan, OpenWRT and Merlin firmware.
While it’s possible to install these firmwares on your compatible router, if you’re not experienced in working with routers, you do run the risk of “bricking” the router – in other words, leaving it useless.
If you feel that you are not up to the task, you can purchase pre-configured routers at FlashRouters.com.
Once NordVPN is set up on your router, your Amazon Fire TV device and any other device that connects to the router will be protected by NordVPN’s services.
Create a NordVPN-Protected Wi-Fi Hotspot
If you don’t have a NordVPN-compatible router, there is another way to use the provider with your Fire TV device.
Most Windows 10 and macOS laptops are capable of sharing their internet connection by broadcasting as a Wi-Fi hotspot. If you run NordVPN on the laptop before sharing the internet connection, this shared hotspot will be protected.
Users looking for a reliable VPN to use with their Amazon Fire TV Stick or other Fire TV device would be wise to take a close look at NordVPN.
The provider does an excellent job of opening up access to geo-blocked streaming content and also keeps your usage habits undercover.
For more information, visit the NordVPN website.