NordVPN’s app not only helps users unblock geo-blocked video and other content, but it also hides your online viewing habits from the prying eyes of your ISP and other overly-interested parties.
SUBSCRIBE TO NORDVPN:Visit the NordVPN website to subscribe. The service offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it risk-free.
It takes only a few minutes to install NordVPN on your Amazon Fire TV Stick. Just follow these instructions:
- On your Amazon Fire TV Stick, using your remote, navigate to the magnifying glass in the upper left-hand corner to access the search bar.
- Search for “NordVPN.”
- Highlight and click on the first search result.
- On the next screen, highlight and click on the NordVPN icon, found under “APPS & GAMES.”
- On the next screen, click the yellow “Get” button.
- The installation should take only a few moments at most to complete (depending on your connection speed). When the installation is complete, click again on the yellow button. (It now reads “Open.”)
- If you already have a NordVPN account (you’ll need one for the rest of the steps), click the “Log In” option. Otherwise, click the “Sign Up” button.
- Once logged in, on the main menu, you’ll see options to “Connect Now” and “Search,” as well as buttons to use to connect to a particular country. You’ll also see options for certain types of connections, such as P2P, Double VPN and more. If you merely seek to keep your online activities undercover, click “Connect Now.” If you need to access content from another country, click on the button for that country.
- You’ll see a notice asking you to give your permission to connect to the VPN. Click “Continue.” On the next screen, click the “I trust this application” box and then click “OK.” You will then see a prompt informing you that NordVPN wants to set up a VPN connection. Click “OK.”
- You are now connected. Exit the NordVPN app by clicking the Home button on your remote. Enjoy your newly-obtained internet freedom!
When you no longer need a VPN connection, click on the NordVPN icon and click on “Disconnect” to turn off your protected connection.
Methodology for Assessing a VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick
Not all VPN providers offer native app support for the Amazon Fire TV Stick. It’s important to choose a VPN that offers the compatibility and features you need for protecting and enhancing your streaming activities.
The factors listed below are the most critical features to consider when choosing which VPN to recommend for use with an Amazon Fire TV Stick:
- Speed: Video streaming is the most popular activity among Amazon Fire TV Stick users, and for that, fast connections are a must. Slow connections result in lengthy buffering times and lower-resolution video streams. NordVPN provided the second-fastest download speeds in my most recent testing.
- Streaming: Amazon Fire TV Stick owners are likely fans of multiple streaming sites and services. NordVPN offers reliable access to not only Netflix, but also other streaming services, including Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and other popular streaming services.
- Server network: If you’re looking to access geo-blocked content from multiple streaming services around the globe, a VPN with servers stationed internationally is an absolute necessity. Luckily, most VPN providers have servers located worldwide. Look for a large global server network, as a large network can provide access to numerous video streaming providers no matter the location. Also look for a provider that has a large server count in each country, which allows for improved performance, as it helps prevent having a single server overloaded with too many users.
- Value: A VPN’s true value can be determined by comparing its feature set to its asking price. If a provider’s subscription rates are out of line with the services they offer, walk away. I only recommended VPNs that offer an excellent value for the asking price.
- Ease of use: All of the VPNs I recommend in my articles offer apps that are easy enough to use for even first-time users. However, some VPN apps are easier to use than others. A provider should also offer app support for as many popular device platforms as possible. NordVPN offers easy-to-use apps for a large range of popular connected devices.
- Security and privacy: A VPN’s online security and privacy are arguably the most important factors to consider, no matter what online activity you are engaging in. Banking-grade encryption, an automatic kill switch, and DNS/IP leak protection are the minimum online security features that a VPN should offer, and a top-notch provider should actually offer more than that. A strict no-server-logs-ever policy is also a must, as it leaves no evidence available of your online antics while using a VPN. NordVPN offers comprehensive all-around security and privacy protections.
The research I do to evaluate a VPN doesn’t end here. The factors listed above are just a small part of my comprehensive VPN testing methodology. My data-driven approach aids in my understanding of the VPNs and their services, so I can recommend VPNs that are a good fit for your needs.
NordVPN provides comprehensive VPN services for users of popular connected devices.
Even though it’s not officially supported, I’ve found that many users can and do install the Kodi media player app onto their Amazon Fire TV. A VPN is the perfect companion for Kodi, as it protects your connection and hides your streaming activities from interested parties.
NordVPN keeps no logs of any kind related to their users’ online travels while connected to their servers. Plus, their military-grade connection encryption keeps your online antics undercover.
This provider’s average connection speeds are easily up to handling the high-definition video that Fire TV video streaming apps provide, even the 4K content that some Fire TV models deliver.
NordVPN delivers native app support for the macOS (with native M1 support), iOS, Android, Windows, Linux, and Android TV platforms. It offers extensions for Chrome, Edge, and Firefox browsers, and the provider also works with numerous makes and models of routers.
The provider’s owned-and-operated server network is made up of over 5,500 servers in approximately 59+ countries. The network is fully run by NordVPN, keeping third-party operators away from customers’ data. Plus, all NordVPN servers are run 100% from RAM, with no data ever being written to a physical hard drive. This means all data is securely wiped whenever a NordVPN server is rebooted.
TRY NORDVPN RISK-FREE:NordVPN offers multiple subscription options, ranging from 1 month to 3 years. The longer the subscription, the bigger the savings.
For more information about NordVPN, read my full review.
TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE
A full-featured 30-day trial of NordVPN is available if you sign up at this page. You’ll have access to the #1 VPN for Amazon Fire TV stick without limits for 30 days making the provider a great option if you’re traveling for a short while and want to still be able to access all your favorite content.
There are no gotchas when it comes to this offer, just contact NordVPN support before your 30-day trial period ends if you decide the provider isn't right for your needs and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Using NordVPN With a First-Generation Fire TV Device
VPN apps are not compatible with the first-generation Amazon Fire TV Stick. While you may be able to install a VPN app, it will not stay connected in the background once you load another app.
Luckily, you can still use NordVPN with your Amazon Fire TV device. Here’s how.
Use NordVPN With a Router
NordVPN is compatible with many routers running the DD-WRT, Tomato, Padavan, OpenWRT, and Merlin firmware.
While it’s possible to install these firmwares on your compatible router, if you’re not experienced in working with routers, you do run the risk of “bricking” the router – in other words, leaving it useless.
If you feel that you are not up to the task, you can purchase pre-configured routers at FlashRouters.com.
Once NordVPN is set up on your router, your Amazon Fire TV device and any other device that connects to the router will be protected by NordVPN’s services.
Create a NordVPN-Protected WiFi Hotspot
If you don’t have a NordVPN-compatible router, there is another way to use the provider with your Fire TV device.
Most Windows 10 and macOS laptops are capable of sharing their internet connection by broadcasting as a WiFi hotspot. If you run NordVPN on the laptop before sharing the internet connection, this shared hotspot will be protected.
Amazon Fire TV Stick FAQs
How Do I Install NordVPN on Firestick TV?
Just visit the Amazon Appstore on your Amazon Firestick TV, then search for "NordVPN." Install the app, run it, and follow the instructions in the app to log in and connect to a VPN server.
Does NordVPN Work on Other Amazon Fire Devices?
Yes, the NordVPN app works on most Amazon Fire TV devices (except for the first-generation devices), and also works on Amazon Fire tablets.
Users looking for a reliable VPN to use with their Amazon Fire TV Stick or other Fire TV device would be wise to take a close look at NordVPN.
The provider does an excellent job of opening up access to geo-blocked streaming content and also keeps your usage habits undercover.
For more information, visit the NordVPN website.
- Methodology for Assessing a VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick
- Using NordVPN With a First-Generation Fire TV Device
- Use NordVPN With a Router
- Create a NordVPN-Protected WiFi Hotspot
- Amazon Fire TV Stick FAQs
- How Do I Install NordVPN on Firestick TV?
- Does NordVPN Work on Other Amazon Fire Devices?
- In Closing