At a Glance
Not all VPN providers offer a dedicated or static IP option. In fact, most of the VPN providers I have tested over the years do not offer the option.
In this article, I’ll share with you information about VPN providers that do offer the option, as well as top-notch service in all other VPN categories.
Whenever you connect to your VPN provider, your real IP address on the internet is temporarily replaced with a new one, assigned to you by the VPN server to which you connect. That IP address can vary according to which location and which server you are connected to.
If you luck out and connect to the same server each time, your VPN-assigned IP address may remain the same. However, the chances are better that you’ll receive a different IP address each time. (Most providers have more than one VPN server in a specific location, and each VPN server supplies a unique IP address to users when they connect.)
The IP address you normally receive from a VPN server is a shared IP address. That means that every user who is connected to that server receives the same internet-facing IP address.
This provides additional anonymity to your internet activities and also offers protection against Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks, as there is no way to trace any online activity back to a single user.
Some VPN providers also offer what is known as a dedicated IP (also known as a static IP) as an add-on. If you opt for a dedicated IP address, your device will be assigned a specific IP address that will not be shared with any other users. You will receive that IP address each time you connect to your VPN provider.
Meanwhile, a shared static IP address can service multiple users but guarantees the user will receive the same IP address each and every time they connect to the VPN server.
How to Choose the Best VPN for a Dedicated IP Address
The following four VPNs have proven to offer the best dedicated IP address service.
If you have to be somewhere and don’t have a lot of time, here’s a summary.
Best VPNs for a dedicated IP address:
- NordVPN: Top VPN for a dedicated IP address. This reliable VPN offers dedicated IP addresses in four countries around the world. The provider keeps both dedicated and shared IP address connections well protected via military-grade encryption. Comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Budget-dedicated IP VPN option. This bargain-priced VPN provider offers reliable access to static IPs at no extra charge. In addition to static IPs, the provider also offers fast connections for an unlimited number of devices at once.
- CyberGhost: Dedicated IPs for rookies. Novice VPN users will appreciate this provider’s dedicated IP servers, even though connecting to them will cost them $5 more per month. Up to seven devices can connect simultaneously using the same set of login credentials.
- Private Internet Access: Dedicated IPs in select countries This provider offers dedicated IP addresses in six different countries for a nominal extra fee. The provider also offers comprehensive online protection for up to 10 devices at once.
When researching VPNs that offer dedicated IP addresses, I looked for the following attributes:
- A large number of IP address locations to choose from
- Reliable access to content
- Fast download speeds
- Military-level encryption
- No usage logs kept
- Top-notch customer support
- Excellent native app support
You can find out more information about the criteria I used in the testing methodology section found further down this article.
Here’s my list of the top four VPNs for a dedicated IP address.
NordVPN offers a dedicated IP VPN service in addition to their standard dynamic IP address services. When users opt for the dedicated IP address, they no longer share the IP address with other users. The dedicated IP address is assigned to a single user.
A dedicated IP address is an additional $44.28 per year ($3.69 per month) over the price of the provider’s regular annual subscription rate.
The provider offers dedicated IP addresses in these locations: the United States, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Japan, Canada, France, and Germany. Whenever a dedicated IP user logs in, the VPN assigns them the same IP address every time.
However, dedicated IP users can also connect to any of the 5,600+ shared IP servers located in nearly 60 countries around the globe. This provides flexibility for the times when your online activities can benefit from the added anonymity of a shared IP.
NordVPN provides connection speeds that are easily capable of handling most online activities, including any tasks for which you might require a dedicated IP address.
The provider keeps both dedicated and shared IP address connections well protected via military-grade 256-bit AES encryption. DNS leak and IP leak protection is also available.
NordVPN never records any of your online activities thanks to the service’s strict no-logs policy. If you combine a disposable email address with their Bitcoin subscription payment option, that would make your VPN subscription completely anonymous.
The provider is also moving to an owned and operated global server network model, which keeps outside contractors away from your personal data. Also, all NordVPN servers are run 100% from RAM, which means all data on a NordVPN server is securely wiped each time the server is restarted or shut down.
Thanks to 24/7 chat, email support, and a searchable support library, NordVPN’s support folk are always available if you require aid.
App support includes native apps for Android, Android TV, iOS, macOS (native M1/M2 Mac support), Windows, and Linux devices. Firefox, Edge, and Chrome browser extensions are also available. Router support is available for various makes and models.
NordVPN offers multiple customer support options, including 24/7 live chat, email support, and a searchable knowledge base.
- Dedicated IP servers in seven countries
- Fast connection speeds
- Reliable access
- Comprehensive privacy features
- Strong encryption
- No blanket kill switch protection
BEST DEDICATED IP VPN:NordVPN is the best option for VPN users who require a dedicated IP address. The service provides reliable service, top-notch privacy protection, and super-fast speeds. A risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of NordVPN.
Surfshark offers static IP addresses at a low price.
Surfshark boasts a global server count of 3,200+ servers located in 100+ countries. Of those countries, Surfshark has static IP addresses available in Germany, Japan, Singapore, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
They are not dedicated IP addresses, which would be preferred for business applications, security-wise, as static IPs from Surfshark are shared by other users. However, connecting to the same static IP address server each time will give your device the same IP address.
Additionally, unlike the other providers on this list, Surfshark’s static IP servers are available as part of the base Surfshark subscription. There is no extra fee.
Surfshark’s download speeds are some of the fastest I’ve seen, and can easily handle any of your online needs. The provider’s connections can easily handle HD and 4K streaming, gaming, business applications, and pretty much anything else you can think of. No data caps or bandwidth limitations to interrupt you in the middle of an important project.
The provider keeps all of your online activities undercover by using military-grade encryption, a kill switch, DNS leak prevention, and more. It also offers ad and tracker blocking, as well as malware and phishing protection. The provider’s proprietary MultiHop server feature can route your internet connection through a pair of VPN servers for double online protection.
The provider saves no server logs of any kind, and, combined with its acceptance of cryptocurrency as subscription payment, both add up to top-notch privacy protection.
Surfshark apps are available for Amazon Fire TV, iOS, Android, Linux, Windows, and macOS (with native M1/M2 support) devices. Chrome, Edge, and Firefox browser extensions are also available. The provider is compatible with numerous router makes and models.
The provider’s unlimited simultaneous connections allowance means all of your devices can acquire VPN protection at once, if needed.
Surfshark’s selection of support options include 24/7 chat, a searchable support library, an FAQ section, and a support request form.
- Provides reliable access to static IP addresses
- Unlimited simultaneous protected connections
- Blazingly-fast download speeds
- One-month subscription is a bit expensive
BEST BUDGET VPN FOR STATIC IPs:The provider offers well-protected and speedy connections to static IP addresses for all of your devices. It provides its comprehensive VPN services for a reasonable price. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of Surfshark
CyberGhost offers dedicated IP VPN service in eight countries (Australia, Canada, Amsterdam, Singapore, the United States, the United Kingdom, France, and Germany) for an extra $2.50 per month over the cost of their regular VPN service. (The price can vary though, so be sure to check the CyberGhost website for current pricing.)
Users must select the location of the dedicated IP address at the time of purchase.
In addition to dedicated IP addresses, the provider also offers the usual shared IP address VPN servers, with 9,000+ servers stationed in more than 90 countries around the globe.
CyberGhost is a well-known VPN provider, with an excellent reputation for reliable, protected access to the internet.
This provider’s connection speeds are some of the fastest around, delivering more than enough performance for any of your favorite online activities. There are never any data caps or bandwidth restrictions imposed upon CyberGhost customers.
Those reliable connections are well-protected thanks to military-level 256-bit AES encryption. A strict no-logs policy means there are no records of CyberGhost customers’ online antics, and the Bitcoin payment option keeps your subscription payment info undercover.
Around-the-clock support includes 24/7 live chat, an easy-to-use support ticket system, and a searchable support library.
Native app support includes easy-to-use apps for macOS, Linux, Windows, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV platforms. Browser extensions are available for the Chrome and Firefox platforms.
The provider’s extensive router compatibility provides unlimited device connections if CyberGhost’s seven concurrent connections allowance begins to chafe.
In addition to comprehensive VPN service, CyberGhost also offers a password manager, warnings when your email address is exposed in a data breach, and more. Windows users can benefit from the provider’s antivirus and anti-malware protection, along with the ability to control how much personal info Microsoft can glean from your PC.
- Provider has an excellent reputation
- Plenty of speed
- Security and privacy are well protected
- Simple-to-use apps
- Requires selecting IP location during signup
- Struggles to work in restrictive countries, like China
BEST FOR BEGINNERS:CyberGhost is the best choice for beginning VPN users who are in need of a static IP address. The provider’s connection speeds are some of the best in the business. 24/7 support is the icing on the cake. A 45-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of CyberGhost.
4. Private Internet Access
Private Internet Access (PIA) provides reliable access to dedicated IP addresses in six countries, while doing an excellent job of keeping your online travels undercover.
The provider’s global server network includes more than 3,300 servers spread among 80+ countries. The provider delivers reliable access to dedicated IP addresses in six countries around the globe (Australia, Canada, Germany, the United Kingdom, Singapore, and the United States) for an added fee ($2.50 per month).
PIA’s connection speeds are certainly not the fastest in the industry. However, they do provide more than enough bandwidth for most online activities. The provider never inflicts data caps or bandwidth throttling on its customers.
All PIA connections are protected using government-grade encryption, IP and DNS leak prevention, and a kill switch. Ad, tracker, malware, and malicious site-blocking features are also available.
A strict no-logs policy and acceptance of Bitcoin as a subscription payment keep PIA customers’ privacy well-protected.
PIA support options include live chat, a trouble ticket form, and support knowledgebase.
Its native app support includes options for Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, and Linux devices. Opera, Chrome, and Firefox browser extensions are also available, along with compatibility with numerous routers. Antivirus protection is also available for an added fee ($1.45 per month).
You can connect up to 10 devices at once on a single account.
- Reliable access to dedicated IPs in six countries
- Top-notch online security and privacy protection
- Up to 10 devices can be simultaneously connected
- Global server network needs expansion
- Dedicated IPs and antivirus costs additional fees
RELIABLE VPN FOR DEDICATED IP ADDRESSES:Private Internet Access delivers dedicated IP addresses in six countries, while also providing comprehensive online security and privacy. Users in overly restrictive countries should check with PIA to determine if this VPN works well from inside your country. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of Private Internet Access.
My Methodology for Assessing VPNs for Best Static IP & Dedicated IP
Not all VPNs offer static IP addresses and dedicated IP addresses. Luckily, there are some reliable VPN providers that do offer these options.
The VPN features listed below are those that I researched to determine the top VPN providers to provide static IPs and dedicated IPs:
- Static IPs and dedicated IPs: Sure, this is a “duh” point. However, make sure the provider does offer dedicated or static IP addresses. Not all providers offer this option.
- Server network: The size of a provider’s global server network is an important thing to keep in mind when considering a VPN, especially when considering which countries the VPN offers dedicated or static IP addresses in. Also, the larger a global server network is, the more access to the content in other countries around the globe. Plus, a large number of servers in a country lessens the load that is placed on VPN servers, providing better server performance throughout the network.
- Connection speed: If you’re paying for a dedicated or static IP, chances are you’re conducting business or other speed-sensitive activities online. Never subscribe to a VPN that throttles your connections or inflicts data caps on your usage (which none of the VPNs on my list do).
- Value: You can calculate the value of any VPN provider by comparing the provider’s feature set to how much it charges for its services. If a VPN charges a premium price but doesn’t offer premium services, forget about it. All of the providers I recommend offer good value for your money.
- Ease of use: Ease of use is an important consideration for many users, as they simply want to make a few clicks or taps to enable online protection and to grab their static or dedicated IP address. The providers I recommend provide easy-to-use apps, browser extensions, and router support.
- Security and privacy: Never settle for a VPN that doesn’t protect its customers’ connections with government-grade encryption, a kill switch, and other online security and privacy protections. You should award bonus points for extra features like malware and virus protection, and ad blocking. Don’t bother with any VPN that doesn’t follow a strict “no logs” policy.
My research process does not end here. The features listed above are just a part of my comprehensive VPN testing methodology. I take a data-driven approach, which helps me to better understand the VPNs and their services, allowing me to make the best selection for my readers.
What’s the Difference Between Dynamic and Static IP Addresses?
Your residential Internet Service Provider (ISP) likely makes use of a dynamic IP addressing scheme.
When a service uses dynamic IP addressing, each time a user connects to the ISP’s network, they receive a different IP address. (Cable, DSL, and fiber network subscribers will keep their address for as long as they stay connected to the service, or until their “lease” on the IP address expires.)
ISPs generally don’t use a dynamic IP address scheme for their business internet users, instead giving business users a static IP address.
A static IP address remains the same, no matter how many times you reconnect or how long you’re connected. This allows business users to run their own web servers and file servers, which require using a consistent internet address.
Most VPN service providers also use dynamic IP addresses. Most VPN providers only own a small number of addresses for customers to use with each of their VPN servers. The VPN assigns these addresses at random when each customer connects, meaning it is likely that users will not receive the same IP address twice.
A shared static IP address can service multiple users but guarantees the user will receive the same IP address each and every time they connect to the VPN server.
Meanwhile, a dedicated IP address from a VPN provider is assigned to one, and only one, user. Whenever that user connects to the VPN server, they will receive that IP address (and no one else will). This provides numerous advantages, as listed below.
Benefits of a Dedicated IP Address From a VPN Service
There are several advantages to using a dedicated IP address from a VPN.
- You Won’t Be Banned From Websites for Other Users’ Sins
If you’re not sharing an IP address with other users, you won’t be banned from websites, online games, and other services because of other users’ inappropriate antics. (Streaming services like Netflix will also block VPN access if they notice multiple users connecting from the same IP address.)
- Sites Will Never Block You Due to an Unrecognized IP Address
Some websites and services check your IP address when you log in. They do this as a security precaution. Sites that do this can include banking and other financial sites, as well as business-related online applications set up for employees and clients to use.
If your IP address is different from a previous login attempt, they may require you to jump through a series of identity confirmation hoops before allowing you to connect. (These can include CAPTCHAs, Two-Factor Authentication checks, and various other security measures.)
Obtaining a dedicated IP from your VPN provider means you’ll be able to protect your internet connection, but you’ll always show the same outward-facing IP address.
- You’re Able to Run an FTP or HTTP Server on Your Home or Business Internet Connection
A dedicated IP allows you to run an FTP server to allow file uploading and downloading of files, or a web server on your computer (to run a website), using the same IP address every time.
Plus, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) can’t tell what you’re doing. (Most ISPs ban the use of your home internet connection for FTP servers and web servers – unless you pay extra, of course.)
In the interest of full disclosure, it should also be noted that there are also disadvantages to dedicated IPs compared to dynamic IPs. They include:
- An additional fee, over and above what you already pay for VPN service.
- Less anonymity, as the dedicated IP identifies only one user: you.
- Increased vulnerability to DDoS attacks, because you are the sole user of the IP address and may be easier to target.
VPN users who have a need for a static or dedicated IP address are strongly recommended to take a closer look at the services that NordVPN offers.
NordVPN offers reliable, well-protected connections, which offer speeds up to just about any of your online activities. The provider’s price for a dedicated IP address is one of the most reliable in the industry. Their dedicated IP service is available in four countries around the globe.
For more information or to subscribe, visit the NordVPN website.
Static IP & Dedicated IP FAQs
What Are the Benefits of a VPN With Static IP?
A VPN with static IP addresses helps prevent you from being blacklisted due to another user's actions, which can happen with a shared IP address. It also allows the use of certain financial and business apps or sites that require a constant IP address.
Does a Static IP Address or a Dedicated IP Address Cost an Additional Fee?
Yes, most VPNs that offer static IPs and dedicated IPs do charge an additional fee. On this list, every VPN except for Surfshark charges for a static or dedicated IP. Check with your VPN provider for more details.
Is a Dedicated IP Address Faster?
No, a dedicated IP address is no faster than a shared IP address. In both cases, several users are connected to and are using the server at once. The advantage of a dedicated IP address is that you're the only user with that specific IP address.
Why Do I Need a Static IP Address From My VPN?
A static IP address not only hides your real IP address, but it also allows you to use the address without being forced to share it with "bad" users, whose online actions may cause the IP they're using to be blocked by online services and websites.
- At a Glance
- What’s the Difference Between a Shared IP and a Static IP?
- How to Choose the Best VPN for a Dedicated IP Address
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. CyberGhost
- 4. Private Internet Access
- My Methodology for Assessing VPNs for Best Static IP & Dedicated IP
- What’s the Difference Between Dynamic and Static IP Addresses?
- Benefits of a Dedicated IP Address From a VPN Service
- In Conclusion
- Static IP & Dedicated IP FAQs
- What Are the Benefits of a VPN With Static IP?
- Does a Static IP Address or a Dedicated IP Address Cost an Additional Fee?
- Is a Dedicated IP Address Faster?
- Why Do I Need a Static IP Address From My VPN?