Excited for Peacock, NBC’s new streaming platform? While this service is geo-restricted, you can easily access it abroad with the right Virtual Private Network (VPN). Read on to find out how to watch Peacock outside of the US.
Peacock is a rare beast in that it offers a huge library of well-known titles while also being free to watch. There is one catch, though: like most major streaming services these days, it’s region-locked and can only be accessed from within the US. Those attempting to visit the site in other countries simply see the following error: “This service is unavailable in your region.”
Here’s the good news: it’s actually surprisingly simple to bypass geographic restrictions. Region-locked platforms tend to find the user’s location by checking their IP address, which means that if you change your IP address (for instance, by connecting to a VPN), you can easily spoof your location and unblock Peacock abroad. Better still, VPNs encrypt your traffic, which means snoopers won’t be able to see your online activity.
How to stream Peacock outside the US
You don’t have to be a tech expert to access Peacock from outside the US. Just follow the steps below to unblock geo-restricted services from anywhere in the world:
- Start by signing up for one of the VPNs below (we recommend NordVPN).
- Download the service’s app and install it on any device you use frequently. Most providers allow you to connect five or so devices at the same time.
- Log in and connect to a server in the US. The city you choose doesn’t matter but usually, nearby servers provide the fastest speeds.
- Log in to the Peacock website with your cable provider details or pay for an online-only subscription if you want to watch Peacock without cable.
- Play a video — it should start right away. Having problems? Try clearing your browser’s cookies before refreshing the page. If this doesn’t help, contact your VPN’s support team for more help.
With so many services on the market and all of them claiming to be the best, comparing VPNs can quickly become overwhelming. Here’s a tip: instead of trying to find the perfect service, it’s often better to choose one that does everything reasonably well. We created our shortlist with this in mind, which is why all of our recommended VPNs share the following characteristics:
- Capable of unblocking Peacock and similar services
- Has plenty of fast and reliable US servers
- Hides your activities from snoopers using powerful security features
- Doesn’t store any personally identifiable data
- Has user-friendly apps for all major operating systems
In a rush? Read below for a quick guide to the best services for Peacock:
Best VPNs for watching Peacock abroad
- NordVPN: My first choice for streaming Peacock abroad. Consistently high speeds, impressive unblocking ability, and many advanced security features make it ideal for streaming.
- Surfshark: The best low-cost option for Peacock. Puts your security first but doesn’t compromise on speed. Keeps no logs and unblocks a huge number of popular services.
- ExpressVPN: Unblocks loads of services, including Peacock. Fast connection speeds and great multi-platform support make it excellent for streaming Peacock and other streaming services.
- CyberGhost: A simple yet powerful VPN boasting comprehensive protection, impressive unblocking ability, and solid speeds. Unblocks Peacock and other services from abroad.
- IPVanish: This high-speed service places major emphasis on user security and keeps no logs whatsoever. It has decent unblocking capabilities and an unlimited connections allowance.
- PrivateVPN: An exceptionally speedy VPN that makes it simple to stream Peacock abroad. Unblocks plenty of streaming services and includes a wide range of security features.
- Hotspot Shield: Strong on security, and fast enough for uninterrupted live streaming. Watch Peacock, Netflix, and more from anywhere in the world.
The 7 best VPNs for unblocking Peacock
Now, we’ll examine each of my recommended services in more detail:
NordVPN has a large network, with more than 5,400 servers in 59 countries (over 1,000 of which are in the U.S. alone). That’s not all: it’s capable of unblocking notoriously difficult services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, so Peacock isn’t much of an issue. With solid speeds, unlimited bandwidth, and 6 simultaneous connections permitted, you can stream, browse, or torrent safely anywhere.
This service also boasts a fantastic range of security and privacy features. For instance, NordVPN doesn’t keep any logs at all and secures your traffic with DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection, 256-bit encryption, and an app-specific kill switch. If you’d prefer an even higher level of privacy, you can connect to special obfuscated servers and pay in one of three supported cryptocurrencies. A 24/7 helpdesk is reachable over live chat.
NordVPN has apps for MacOS, Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android. Select network routers are supported via manual configuration.
- Almost 2,000 U.S. servers
- Extremely fast speeds
- Unblocks a huge range of platforms
- Top-notch security features
- Keeps no logs
- Desktop apps take some getting used to
BEST VPN FOR PEACOCK:NordVPN is my top choice for Peacock. It’s a speedy, security-conscious service that makes it easy to watch your favorite shows abroad. What’s more, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free.
Why not take a look at the complete NordVPN review?
Surfshark operates 3,200+ servers in 65 countries including the United States. Thanks to its strong unblocking capabilities and steady speeds, it’s an excellent choice for anyone looking to unblock Peacock while traveling abroad. Additionally, this is one of the few major services that allows you to connect as many devices as you like, so it offers great value for money.
This VPN clearly takes your security seriously. It provides a customizable kill switch, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, 256-bit encryption, and a NoBorders mode that can bypass even the strictest online restrictions. Surfshark doesn’t keep any traffic logs, so there’s no need to worry about your activities being revealed. In the unlikely event that you run into any issues, you can email or chat directly to support staff, day or night.
Surfshark apps are available for Windows, Android, Linux, MacOS, and iOS devices. Alternatively, you can manually install this service on a supported router.
- Low prices
- Steady speeds, unlimited bandwidth
- Works with all manner of geo-blocked services
- Strong security and privacy credentials
- Some slow speeds recorded during testing
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is a versatile service that won’t break the bank. It boasts a wide array of security features, a no-logs policy, fast speeds, and a 30-day money-back guarantee. It’s also one of the best at unblocking geo-restricted services abroad.
For more information, read our in-depth Surfshark review.
ExpressVPN offers access to over 3,000 servers across 94 countries, so it’s a great choice for unblocking all kinds of geo-restricted services, not just Peacock. Further, with steady speeds and unlimited bandwidth, you’ll be able to watch without any noticeable lag or buffering. Users can connect up to 5 devices at once, giving you the freedom to stream wherever you go.
Of course, security is the most important aspect of any VPN and ExpressVPN knows this. That’s why it includes 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks. Further, ExpressVPN refuses to log any personally identifiable information, meaning your activities can’t be traced back to you. If you need any help, you can reach customer support staff 24/7 over email and live chat.
ExpressVPN provides Android, iOS, Linux, Windows, and MacOS apps. It has custom router firmware that lets you secure every device on your network.
- Fast enough for lag-free streaming
- Unblocks most major streaming services
- Great record on security and privacy
- Accepts Bitcoin payments
- Higher price than some others in this list
- Only 5 simultaneous connections
WELL-ROUNDED VPN:ExpressVPN is an all-around great VPN to use for any activity, including watching Peacock. Fast speeds are a staple, and the service thoroughly protects your privacy and security. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Interested? Check out the full ExpressVPN review.
CyberGhost users have the choice of 6,700+ servers in 89 countries. Of these, some 1,000 are located in the US, meaning you’re almost guaranteed to be able to find a high-speed, low-latency server. This service offers exceptional unblocking ability and prioritizes user-friendliness, with streaming-optimized servers that allow you to quickly connect and start streaming Peacock, Netflix, or BBC iPlayer in under a minute.
There’s very little setup required because CyberGhost’s security features all come pre-configured. These include automatic ad-blocking and malware-scanning, 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection. Further, CyberGhost doesn’t log any data that could identify you. While this VPN is very easy to get to grips with, it offers 24/7 customer support (over live chat and email) just in case you have any issues.
CyberGhost offers novice-friendly apps for Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, and iOS. If you’d like, you can manually configure it for use with select wireless routers.
- More than 1,000 speedy US servers
- Unblocks major streaming services in one click
- All security features are enabled by default
- Doesn’t offer much control over advanced functionality
- Doesn’t work reliably in China
FAST AND VERSATILE:CyberGhost is a high-speed VPN that places major emphasis on ease of use. Users can get comprehensive security and unblock Peacock in one click. Best of all, this service comes with a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
Take a look at the complete CyberGhost review.
IPVanish has over 1,400 very fast servers spread across 60+ countries (including several hundred in the US). It doesn’t limit your bandwidth in any way and can reliably unblock several major streaming platforms including Netflix US. Unlike many of its competitors, which allow 5 connections at most, IPVanish lets users secure an unlimited number of devices simultaneously.
This service keeps your traffic hidden from prying eyes using 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, a kill switch, and traffic scrambling (OpenVPN only). It allows you to block local connections outright. IPVanish follows a strict no-logging policy which means it can’t divulge details of your activities, even in the face of legal pressure. Support staff are on-hand around the clock via live chat in case you run into trouble.
IPVanish users have access to apps for Android, iOS, Windows, and MacOS. Manual configuration is required for Linux PCs and supported home routers.
- Consistently high speeds
- Permits unlimited connections at once
- Great range of security features and a no-logs policy
- Has difficulty unblocking larger streaming platforms
- High-priced single-month subscription
WATCH ON UNLIMITED DEVICES :IPVanish has a particularly high connection limit – rather, it has no limit at all. That’s not all, though: this zero-logs VPN also offers high-speed US servers, powerful security features, and decent unblocking ability, as well as a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
PrivateVPN has a smaller network than some others in this list, but it offers far higher speeds than many of its competitors, and incredible unblocking ability to boot. In fact, this VPN can unblock particularly stubborn services like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer. Plus, users can connect up to six devices at once.
PrivateVPN boasts an impressive security offering too, with 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a stealth mode that lets you bypass especially strict online censorship. This VPN keeps no logs whatsoever which means you can browse as much as you like, without fear of who might be watching. Support isn’t quite 24/7 but it is available most hours of the day via live chat and email.
Apps are available for iOS, MacOS, Android, Windows, and Linux. If you’d like to install this directly on your router, you can do so manually.
- Some of the fastest speeds we’ve seen
- Fantastic unblocking capabilities
- Zero-logs provider with powerful security features
- Fewer servers than many of its rivals
- Support goes offline for two hours each day
SPEED AND SECURITY:PrivateVPN manages to provide exceptionally high speeds while keeping your traffic safe from snoopers. Whether you want to watch Peacock abroad, torrent privately, or browse securely, it’s a great choice. A 30-day money-back guarantee is included.
Check out our in-depth PrivateVPN review.
Hotspot Shield provides access to over 3,200 servers in 80+ countries. This wide network, coupled with its high speeds, make it an obvious choice for streaming. This VPN not only lets you access Peacock from outside the US, it also works with Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and more. Up to five devices can be connected simultaneously per account.
Of course, Hotspot Shield is no slouch when it comes to security. It boasts 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks. There’s even an option that will connect automatically whenever you use a public wifi hotspot. Additionally, it doesn’t store any identifiable data once your session is over. If you need any assistance, you can contact support 24/7 over live chat and email.
Hotspot Shield provides apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. It offers manual installation instructions for Linux systems and select internet routers.
- Fast and reliable connections
- Unblocks Peacock and similar services with ease
- Plenty of security features
- Past privacy issues
- No anonymous payment options
LAG-FREE VIDEO:Hotspot Shield is more than fast enough for streaming Peacock. In fact, with a strong focus on security and thousands of servers worldwide, there’s very little it can’t do. Plans come with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read the full Hotspot Shield review.
NBC’s Peacock: Frequently Asked Questions
Will a free VPN let me watch Peacock from abroad?
Technically, you may be able to watch Peacock with a free VPN but we really don’t recommend trying. The reason for this is simple: these services are often blocked outright by streaming platforms. Further, free VPNs usually have a very small number of servers while attracting more users than paid services. This leads to extreme network slowdown and means that even if you access Peacock, you may notice stuttering, long periods of buffering, or streaming videos that simply won’t play, no matter what you do.
Paid VPNs usually have detailed, legally-binding privacy policies on their websites. What’s more, if a provider says one thing and does another, you can rest assured that paying customers and publications like ours will hold them accountable. There are no such guarantees with free services; there’s often no way of telling who has access to your data. Perhaps more concerning, it’s becoming very common to find malware disguised as free VPN apps, which means that even choosing one is a risky prospect. Instead, we recommend using a reputable paid VPN that offers a proven no-logs policy.
Can I watch Peacock online for free?
Technically, yes -- Peacock lets you watch some of its content for free online, as long as you’re in the US. However, if you’d like to access the rest of its catalog, you’ll need a Peacock Premium subscription -- Xfinity customers get one of these at no added cost but everyone else has to pay $4.99 USD per month or $49.99 per year.
Here’s the contentious part: you’ll still see ads, even if you have a premium account. To be fair, Peacock says that there’ll be a maximum of five minutes of advertising every hour, which really isn’t that bad. You do have the option to remove ads entirely but this costs an extra $30, bringing the total cost to $79.99 per year.
What TV shows and movies are on Peacock?
Peacock has really raised the bar in terms of the content it’s making available for free. Rather than forgettable titles from a decade ago, it lets you stream TV shows and movies like:
- Downton Abbey
- Parks and Recreation
- Chicago Fire
- Bite Club
- Late Night with Seth Meyers
- Reservoir Dogs
- Back to the Future
- The Breakfast Club
- Keeping Up With The Kardashians
- Dallas Buyers Club
How to Stream Peacock Abroad FAQ
Will NBC Peacock Have Live TV?
NBC Peacock will offer live news and sports coverage. Live news options will include NBC News Now, Sky News, and NBC/Sky Global News. SPorts offerings will include the 2021 Summer Olympics from Tokyo, live Premier League matches, an NFL Wild Card Playoff Game, and more.
Will there be live sports on Peacock?
Yes, live sports offerings will include the 2021 Summer Olympics from Tokyo, the US Open Championship, Women's Open Championship, and an NFL Wild Card Playoff Game.
Also available on the Premiere tier of service will be 75 live Premier League matches in the 2020-21 season, coverage of elite cycling events like the Tour de France and La Vuelta, and more than 100 hours of WWE content.
Will Peacock ban my account if I use a VPN?
Currently, Peacock is being rather laid-back when it comes to using a VPN to access their service, and as far as I can tell, it isn’t banning viewers that are using a VPN to connect to Peacock servers from outside of the U.S. However, this could change at any time.
- How to stream Peacock outside the US
- The 7 best VPNs for unblocking Peacock
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. IPVanish
- 6. PrivateVPN
- 7. Hotspot Shield
- NBC’s Peacock: Frequently Asked Questions
- Will a free VPN let me watch Peacock from abroad?
- Can I watch Peacock online for free?
- What TV shows and movies are on Peacock?
- How to Stream Peacock Abroad FAQ
- Will NBC Peacock Have Live TV?
- Will there be live sports on Peacock?
- Will Peacock ban my account if I use a VPN?