Colombians who are traveling abroad, or Colombian expats, may find it difficult to access geo-blocked content from back home, ranging from their favorite TV shows and movies to access to financial websites.
Colombians will be glad to learn that there is a tool available that provides access to geo-blocked Colombian content, while also encrypting your connection, hiding your online travels from prying eyes.
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) provides access to your favorite online content by temporarily assigning a fresh IP address to your connected device. By selecting a server located inside Colombian borders, you can be assigned a Colombian IP address. This makes it appear that you’re connecting from Colombia, opening up access to content restricted to the country.
A VPN also encrypts your internet connection. This prevents outsiders, like hackers or the government, from tracking you online. This is especially important for journalists and other users who may be targeted in attempts to limit free speech.
In this article, I’ll take a close look at the 5 best VPN providers to gain access to a Colombian IP address.
How to Get an IP Address in Colombia
Do the following to obtain an IP address in Colombia:
- Purchase a subscription to a VPN service, like ExpressVPN, the top pick on this list.
- Install the provider’s app(s) to your favorite device(s).
- Connect to a VPN server located in Colombia.
- Visit a Colombian site or service that you normally can’t access. (You may be required to clear your browser’s cache and delete your browser cookies if you still have difficulty accessing the geo-blocked site or service.)
- Enjoy your new access to your favorite Colombian content!
TRY A TOP VPN RISK-FREE: Most VPN service providers allow you to try their services risk-free by offering a money-back trial period. Their no-questions-asked money-back guarantees allow you to cancel a subscription for a full refund during the trial period if you decide the VPN isn’t the best one for your needs.
Best VPNs for Getting an IP Address in Colombia
The following 5 VPN services have proven, according to my extensive testing, to be the most adept at obtaining a Colombian IP address.
The TL;DR version is as follows:
- ExpressVPN: While ExpressVPN charges an admittedly premium price, it offers equally premium services in return. The provider’s impressive global server network includes high-speed servers in Colombia. Fast connections, top-notch app support, and comprehensive online security and online privacy add to the value.
- Surfshark: Surfshark is the bargain-basement/high value VPN option on this list of 5. The provider’s low multi-year subscription rate belies its top-notch online security and privacy, blazingly-fast connections, large global server network, and much more, which make this provider a great option for Colombian peso pinchers.
- CyberGhost: CyberGhost is the best option on this list for rookie VPN users or those who are looking for uncomplicated VPN protection. Streaming- and downloading-optimized servers, fast connections, excellent online protection and easy-to-use app options make this service an attractive option.
- IPVanish: IPVanish doesn’t boast quite as impressive global server coverage as its fellow top 5’ers provide. However, the provider owns and operates its Colombian servers as well as all of its other servers, keeping third-party contractors away from your personal data.
- PrivateVPN: Although its server network is definitely stretched thin, the provider’s server in Bogotá has your Columbia-related online activities covered. The provider offers comprehensive online security and privacy for the top device platforms.
How to Choose the Best VPN for an IP Address in Colombia
I carefully considered the following important factors when deciding which VPN to recommend to obtain a Colombian IP address:
- Has servers located in Colombia (Seems logical, right?)
- Speed of connections
- Digital security and privacy protections
- Native app support
- Customer support offerings
Take a look at the 5 best VPNs for getting a Colombia IP address.
My #1 pick, ExpressVPN, is admittedly the highest-priced VPN option on this list. However, its premium feature set makes it well worth the financial expenditure.
The provider’s global server network is one of the most impressive in the VPN industry, with more than 3,000 servers located in over 90 countries around the globe (Colombia included). The network provides super-reliable access to geo-blocked content around the globe.
ExpressVPN provides super-fast connections, the 2nd-fastest on this list. The connections provide more than enough bandwidth for video streaming, gaming and much more. No bandwidth throttling or data caps to worry about with this provider.
Those fast connections are protected by comprehensive online security protections, including military-grade AES 256-bit encryption, a built-in automatic kill switch, and IP and DNS leak prevention. A new, proprietary Lightway protocol is designed to offer improved performance, security and reliability.
All ExpressVPN customers’ privacy is well protected thanks to the provider’s strict no-server-logs policy, its acceptance of Bitcoin as a private subscription payment option, and a “TrustedServer” technology that runs ExpressVPN servers’ operations 100% from RAM, with no data ever being written to a physical hard drive. This ensures all data is wiped from the server whenever it is rebooted.
Native app support options include options for the iOS, Windows, Android, macOS, Linux, ChromeOS, Android TV and Amazon Fire device platforms. Browser extensions are available for the Chrome, Firefox and Edge platforms. The provider’s recently-updated router firmware is also available for various WiFi routers.
ExpressVPN’s Smart DNS service allows connected devices like game consoles, smart TVs and other set-top boxes (like Apple TV and Roku) to access geo-blocked streaming content. Be aware, please, that the SmartDNS service does not encrypt your internet connection like a full-blown VPN service does.
Up to 5 desktop and mobile devices can simultaneously connect to the VPN’s servers on a single account.
ExpressVPN’s customer support options include 24/7 live support chat, email support, a trouble ticket submission system and a searchable support knowledge base.
- Colombia-based servers available
- Reliable geo-controlled content unblocking
- Comprehensive security and privacy protections
- Plenty of apps for popular devices
- Super-fast download speeds
- More expensive than other providers on this list
TOP VPN FOR COLOMBIA:While ExpressVPN is more expensive than other providers on this list, it earns the top spot by offering an excellent return on investment. The provider offers blazingly-fast download speeds, comprehensive online security and complete privacy protections, top-notch device and router support, and around-the-clock customer support. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of ExpressVPN.
Surfshark is the bargain-basement option on this list. While charging low prices, the provider offers upscale services.
The provider’s global server network has grown quite a bit from its original numbers, currently boasting an impressive 3,200+ servers available in 65 countries, Colombia included.
Surfshark’s connection speeds are the fastest around, easily handling streaming, gaming and file sharing without any issues. No data caps or bandwidth limitations to worry about here.
Surfshark’s comprehensive connection protections include banking-grade AES 256-bit encryption, an automatic kill switch, IP/DNS leak protection, ad and tracker blocking, as well as malware and phishing protections. A “Multi-Hop” server option routes a user’s internet connection through a pair of VPN servers to double up on anonymity and encryption.
Surfshark’s “Surfshark One” cybersecurity bundle add-on includes Surfshark Alert to warn a user if their personal information was revealed in a data breach. Surfshark Search is a fully-private, ad-free search engine, and Surfshark Antivirus protects your devices from malicious apps, files and documents.
Surfshark servers are run according to a strict no-logs policy, and it also accepts Bitcoin as a private payment option.
Native app support is available for Android, Android TV, iOS, macOS, Linux, Windows and Amazon Fire devices. (The provider recently added native support for Apple’s new M1 Mac lineup.) Chrome, Edge and Firefox browser extensions are also available, as is extensive router support.
Surfshark puts no limit on the number of devices you can connect to its network at once.
Always-available customer support options include 24/7 live support chat, email support and a searchable knowledge base.
- Colombian servers
- Bargain-priced subscription options
- No simultaneous connections limit
- Top-notch security and privacy protections
- Lacks certain advanced features
- Doesn’t label its streaming or file sharing servers in its apps
BEST BUDGET-MINDED VPN:Surfshark’s low-priced multi-year subscription options make it an excellent option for users looking to save some pesos. While it may be low-priced, its features are premium. The provider puts no limit on simultaneous connections, making it attractive to small businesses and large families. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of Surfshark.
CyberGhost is an excellent option for first-time VPN users or those looking for an easy-to-use yet powerful VPN service.
CyberGhost boasts a massive global server network, with 7,100+ servers in nearly 90 countries, Colombia included. Many of those servers are optimized for downloading files and streaming video.
CyberGhost’s servers also provide excellent download speeds, with plenty of bandwidth for all of your online activities. You get unlimited bandwidth and data with your subscription.
All of the service’s connections are protected by a tunnel of military-grade AES 256-bit encryption. Other protections include an automatic kill switch and IP/DNS leak protection. Malicious website and online tracker blocking are also available. The VPN also provides a way to force websites to serve up HTTPS versions of their webpages if available.
The provider recently added a number of new protective features, including antivirus protection, a password manager, and an app that scans for outdated and vulnerable apps. An “ID Guard” feature alerts you if your email address was included as a part of a data breach.
The provider also follows a strict no-logs policy and accepts cryptocurrency as payment.
CyberGhost’s easy-to-use apps offer protection for Android, Windows, iOS, Linux, macOS, Android TV and Amazon Fire devices. Firefox and Chrome extensions are also available to protect your browsing, and support is available for numerous router makes and models.
CyberGhost’s simultaneous connections limit is up to 7 devices.
Always-available customer support includes around-the-clock live support chat, a trouble ticket tracking system and an easy-to-search support library.
- Offers Colombian IP addresses
- Easy-to-use apps for popular device platforms
- Streaming- and downloading-optimized servers
- Apps lack some advanced options
- Doesn’t work reliably in some overly restrictive countries
VPN NEWBIES WELCOME:CyberGhost’s easy-to-use apps are available for popular device platforms. The provider’s speedy connections, a huge global server network (including servers in Colombia), advanced security features and privacy protections are just a few of the features that the provider offers. A 45-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of CyberGhost.
IPVanish offers an additional layer of privacy that other providers on this list don’t offer.
IPVanish’s network of 1,900+ servers in 55+ countries is certainly not the largest on this list, but it does offer servers inside of Colombia. The provider has network expansion plans for 2021.
Those servers are all solely owned and operated by IPVanish, providing an extra layer of privacy, as it keeps third-party contractors away from your personal data.
All IPVanish connections are protected by government-level AES 256-bit encryption, an automatic kill switch and IP/DNS leak protection. A proprietary “scramble” feature keeps your VPN usage incognito by disguising it as regular browser traffic.
IPVanish never saves logs related to your online activities. However, it does not offer a Bitcoin payment option.
Apps are available for the iOS, macOS, Windows, Android, ChromeOS and Amazon Fire device platforms. Manual setup instructions are available for Linux and Raspberry Pi. While the provider does not offer browser extensions, support for various router firmwares is available.
IPVanish’s unlimited simultaneous connections policy allows you to connect as many devices as you’d like to the provider’s servers on a single account.
24/7 customer support is available through always-available live support chat, email support and a searchable knowledge base.
- Colombian IP addresses
- No third-party contractors have access to your personal data
- No limit on simultaneous connections
- More reliable than using a regular proxy server
- No cryptocurrency subscription payment option
- No browser extensions
UNLIMITED PRIVACY FOR YOUR DEVICES:IPVanish’s proprietary server network keeps third-party contractors away from your personal data. The provider’s unlimited simultaneous connections policy protects as many devices as you’d like at one time. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of IPVanish.
PrivateVPN may have the smallest global server network on this list, but it does offer other services that are comparable to its competitors.
While PrivateVPN only offers a mere 200+ servers, they’re spread out amongst 63 countries, and it does have a server based in Colombia.
PrivateVPN’s connection speeds are more than satisfactory, providing an excellent experience while streaming video, sharing files and gaming online. No bandwidth limitations or data caps to deal with here.
This provider’s comprehensive connection protection includes government-level encryption and IPv6 leak and DNS leak protections. A “Stealth VPN” option hides your VPN internet activity by making it appear to be regular browsing activity.
PrivateVPN saves no logs of your online activities and accepts Bitcoin as a privacy-friendly subscription payment option.
PrivateVPN’s app support isn’t exactly “comprehensive,” with apps available only for the macOS, Windows, iOS and Android device platforms. Router support is available, however.
Up to 6 devices can connect to the provider’s servers at once on one account.
PrivateVPN’s live support is not 24/7, despite what they say. (There have been times I’ve visited the provider’s website and the chat icon wasn’t green, meaning no human was staffing the chat function.) There is a “Contact Us” form and an FAQ section (although it’s not truly searchable).
- Server in Colombia
- Fast connections
- Advanced configuration options
- Tiny global server network
- 24/7 support chat is NOT available 24/7
SMALL NETWORK BUT ADVANCED APP OPTIONS:If you’re a fan of customizing your VPN experience, PrivateVPN offers you numerous ways to do so. Well-above-average connection speeds and strong security features are available. However, the provider needs to improve its server network and app support. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of PrivateVPN.
Methodology for Assessing VPNs for Colombian IP Addresses
Colombians currently abroad should carefully consider several factors before subscribing to a VPN service provider to gain a real Colombian IP address.
Below, you’ll find a list of the factors that I carefully consider when putting together a list of VPNs for use for any purpose or any location:
- Connection Speed: All of the VPNs included on my list provide well-above-average connection speeds. This is because, other than bill-paying, a fast connection makes all of your online activities more enjoyable.
- Server Network: The larger that a global server network is, the better access you’ll have to geo-blocked content. Plus, a large number of servers in an individual country is preferred, as it helps prevent a single server taking a performance hit from serving too many users. In the case of this article, only providers with servers based in Colombia were included on this list.
- Value: You can calculate a VPN service provider’s true value by comparing the VPN’s asking price to the list of features it offers. All VPNs that are included on my list offer an excellent return on investment.
- Ease of Use: A provider’s native app support should include as many popular devices as possible. Whenever possible, each VPN provider that I include on my list offers easy-to-use, reliable apps for most popular device platforms.
- Security and Privacy: A VPN should protect its users’ connections with banking-level encryption, an automatic kill switch and DNS/IP leak protection. A no-logs policy is also a requirement. The providers I list offer comprehensive online security and privacy.
- Streaming: Streaming video is a popular pastime for VPN users. Each VPN I include on my list offers reliable access to popular streaming sites, such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and others.
Check out more information about my VPN testing methodology.
Why Are Websites and Services Geo-Blocked?
Streaming sites sign distribution agreements with TV and movie studios that restrict access to movies and shows to specified regions of the world. By selling content on a country-by-country basis, studios can get paid over and over for a single movie or series.
While accountants and lawyers are nodding their heads in agreement over this, it’s frustrating for the TV and movie fans among us, who when traveling internationally will find they don’t have access to their favorite entertainment content.
Users may also find that other websites and services will also block access to you when you’re out and about internationally. Financial sites in particular do this, as it helps prevent foreign bad guys (think a virtual version of Hans from Die Hard) from accessing a legitimate customer’s account.
How Is Content Geographically Blocked?
A website or online service blocks access to their content or services by detecting your device’s IP address.
An IP address acts as a unique identifier for your device on the internet, much like your home’s postal address identifies your home. The IP address tells the other devices on the internet which device made an information request, as well as where to send the requested information.
Also, just like your postal address, an IP address can be used to identify a device’s geographical location.
This is because every country is assigned a certain range of IP numbers solely for use inside that country. If a device’s IP address falls inside of the range assigned to a particular country, then the rest of the internet sees that the device as connecting from inside of that country.
So, for example, if a Colombian streaming service sees your device as not having a Colombian IP address, it will block you from viewing its content.
How Can I Access Blocked Colombian Content From Overseas?
You can access geo-blocked content located inside of Colombia from outside of the country by using a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
A VPN temporarily assigns a new IP address to your connected device. So, if you select a server located inside of Colombia, your device will receive a Colombian IP address. This will make it appear as if you and your device are sitting inside that country, opening up access to geo-blocked content restricted to Colombian viewers.
It should be noted that you do need to have a subscription to the streaming services or have a login for other blocked sites or services to gain access.
Just follow the steps below:
- Subscribe to a VPN provider (ExpressVPN is my #1 pick this time around).
- Download and install the VPN’s app(s) for your device(s).
- Fire up the app and connect to a Colombian server.
- Visit the site or service you’re interested in. (You may need to clear your browser cookies and cache to connect successfully.)
- Enjoy your access to your favorite Colombian content and sites!
What Else Can a VPN Do For Me?
A Virtual Private Network protects and enhances your online activities.
A VPN’s encrypted connection protection prevents hackers, Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and the government from monitoring your online travels. This comes in handy no matter where you connect to the internet.
You have likely used a public WiFi hotspot, most of which are not encrypted. This means that hackers can monitor your online activity while connected to the hotspot, allowing them to steal your personal information. A VPN’s encryption keeps your online activities undercover.
A VPN also protects you when you connect from your own home, as it prevents outsiders from monitoring your online travels, preventing your ISP from throttling or blocking your home internet connection for engaging in activities they don’t approve of, like streaming from certain services or sharing files.
Unfortunately, a VPN can’t help you evade the data caps that many Internet Service Providers impose on their subscribers’ usage. Data use is data use, even if it’s encrypted.
Can I Use a Free VPN Provider to Access Content in Colombia?
Free sounds good, doesn’t it? However, in this case, free can cost you more in the long run.
First of all, free VPNs are darned inconvenient to use.
You may be required to wait a bit before being allowed to connect to a free VPN’s tiny global server network. Once you’re finally allowed to connect, you’ll either have a severely limited number of countries to select from, or you’ll be connected to a server of the VPN provider’s choice. And, there is an excellent chance that servers will not be available in Colombia.
Once you do successfully connect, you’ll almost certainly find that your download speeds have slowed greatly. You’ll also be subject to daily or monthly data caps. That’s because free VPN service providers want to preserve their available bandwidth for use by their paying customers.
Forget about protecting your privacy when using a VPN. Let’s face it, even freebie VPN providers have to pay their bills, and many do so by monitoring and logging their users’ online activities, then selling that info to advertisers and other nosy types that are willing to pay for it.
Some providers will even insert unwanted ads and tracking cookies into your browsing sessions. And those tracking cookies stick around, even after you’ve disconnected from the VPN provider’s network.
If you decide to use a free VPN, I wish you luck, but I strongly recommend against doing so. Surfshark is a formidable VPN that provides its services for a budget-friendly price, so I strongly advise that you consider it over a free VPN.
If you’re jonesing for your favorite online content from Colombia, I strongly urge you to subscribe to a VPN today. The best VPN to grab a Colombian IP address is ExpressVPN.
ExpressVPN provides fast, well-protected connections to Colombian content via its impressive global server network. The provider’s comprehensive app support, strong encryption and privacy protections, reliable access to geo-blocked content, and responsive customer support add up to an excellent VPN option.
For more information or to purchase a subscription, visit the ExpressVPN website.
IP Address from Colombia FAQ
Can I Use an IP Address From Colombia on My Home Router?
If your VPN provider has server locations inside of Colombia and offers support for your home router, you can obtain a Colombian IP address on your home router. Check with your VPN service provider for more information.
Does Surfshark Have VPN Servers in Bogotá?
Surfshark’s server list shows that it has a server located in Colombia. I checked with the provider, and the server is indeed located in Bogotá.
Is It Illegal to Use a VPN Service Provider From Colombia?
It is totally legal to use a VPN while inside Colombian borders. However, you should never use a VPN to conduct illegal online activities.
- How to Get an IP Address in Colombia
- Best VPNs for Getting an IP Address in Colombia
- How to Choose the Best VPN for an IP Address in Colombia
- 1. ExpressVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. CyberGhost
- 4. IPVanish
- 5. PrivateVPN
- Methodology for Assessing VPNs for Colombian IP Addresses
- Why Are Websites and Services Geo-Blocked?
- How Is Content Geographically Blocked?
- How Can I Access Blocked Colombian Content From Overseas?
- What Else Can a VPN Do For Me?
- Can I Use a Free VPN Provider to Access Content in Colombia?
- IP Address from Colombia FAQ
- Can I Use an IP Address From Colombia on My Home Router?
- Does Surfshark Have VPN Servers in Bogotá?
- Is It Illegal to Use a VPN Service Provider From Colombia?