However, VPN users know that this isn’t an issue, as a Virtual Private Network can “spoof” your location, making it appear as if you’re in another country. A VPN encrypts your connection and routes it through a VPN server located in whatever country you choose, opening access to Netflix in that country.
Netflix is hip to this scheme, and so it does its very best to stop VPN users from accessing to its extensive library. When Netflix discovers an IP address that belongs to a VPN, the company prevents it from accessing its content. It is then up to the VPN provider to set up new VPN servers sporting fresh IP addresses.
This requires a VPN with plenty of resources and a willingness to engage in this game of online whack-a-mole. This is one of the main reasons it is nearly impossible to find a free VPN provider that provides reliable access to Netflix.
That’s why, unless you’re fond of seeing, “Whoops, something went wrong. Streaming error. You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again,” you really shouldn’t even attempt to use a free VPN to access Netflix. Plus, there are other reasons not to use a free VPN, which I’ll share with you a bit later.
I am not aware of any free VPNs that work with Netflix. However, there are other options if you’re looking for a way to gain the advantages of a VPN without paying, especially if you’re traveling abroad on vacation or on business and only require a Netflix-capable VPN for a short period of time.
The 5 VPN providers I’ll be telling you about all offer reliable access to Netflix, and also offer money-back guarantees of at least 30 days. While you’ll have to pay for a month’s service upfront, you’ll be able to get a full refund, no questions asked, if you cancel before the money-back guarantee period has expired.
Steps to Get a Free VPN for Netflix
Here’s how to use a “free” VPN for Netflix:
- Sign up with a quality VPN provider. I recommend NordVPN, but you can’t go wrong with any of the providers on my list.
- Download and install the provider’s app(s) on your device(s).
- Connect to a VPN server in the Netflix region you wish to view.
- Go to the Netflix website or load the Netflix app. You will automatically be directed to the content intended for the region your VPN server is in.
- Select your favorite TV series or movie, and enjoy the show!
- If you decide you don’t want to keep the VPN, cancel before the end of the money-back guarantee (usually before 30 days have passed).
What Are the Best VPNs for Watching Netflix That Offer Extended Money-Back Guarantees?
The following 5 VPNs offer reliable access to Netflix, while also offering no-risk money-back guarantees of at least 30 days. TL;DR summary:
- NordVPN: This provider’s pricing makes it the lowest-priced premium VPN option and users will especially appreciate the provider’s extended subscription pricing. Provides fast, reliable access to Netflix. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
- Surfshark: This provider is the best budget-priced provider on this list and offers a fast-growing global server network, which offers ever-increasing access to Netflix around the globe. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
- ExpressVPN: The provider offers secure access to Netflix in numerous countries around the globe thanks to its comprehensive global server network. The provider’s fast connection speeds are also excellent for streaming. The provider offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- CyberGhost: First-time VPN users will want to take a close look at CyberGhost, as it offers easy-to-use apps that connect to streaming-optimized servers around the globe. Offers the longest money-back guarantee on this list, at 45 days.
- IPVanish: This provider offers reliable access to Netflix and other streaming services via its self-owned and -operated global server network. Offers fast encrypted connections for all popular connected streaming devices. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
When researching and ranking the VPNs for this article, I considered the following factors:
- No-risk money-back guarantee of at least 30 days
- Reliable ability to access Netflix
- Ability to access other streaming services
- Fast connection speeds
- Top-notch privacy and security protections
- Multi-platform app support
- Comprehensive customer support availability
Here are my top 5 money-back guarantee VPNs for watching Netflix:
NordVPN is the top choice in this lineup, making it the best option for VPN users leaning toward keeping their VPN service when the 30-day money-back guarantee is up.
With 5,400+ servers stationed in 58+ countries, the provider’s global server location coverage offers reliable access to Netflix, BBC iPlayer, CBS All Access, and numerous other streaming providers. The service even offers a helpful Netflix information page on their website.
The provider recently improved their connection speeds, and they were quite impressive in recent testing. They can easily handle the HD quality streams and 4K streams offered by video streaming providers and are more than up to handling fast-moving online games as well as downloading and sharing large files. No data limits or connection throttling of any kind to fret about with this provider.
NordVPN’s connection protections include a kill switch, as well as DNS and IPv6 leak protection. Also available is Double VPN protection (which routes your connection through two VPN servers) and obfuscated VPN servers (which disguise your VPN activity as normal internet activity).
A no-server-logs-ever policy and a cryptocurrency payment option have the privacy side of things covered.
The provider has most of the popular Netflix-compatible platforms covered, including the iOS, Android, Android TV, macOS, Linux, and Windows platforms. In-browser viewing is enhanced via Chrome and Firefox browser extensions.
NordVPN’s router compatibility protects all of your connected devices. Up to 6 devices can concurrently connect to the service on a single username.
24/7 live chat, a searchable knowledge base, and an email support option all have you covered around the clock.
- Plenty of access to Netflix via servers in 58+ countries
- HD- and 4K-capable connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Bargain-priced extended subscription options
- Streaming servers aren’t labeled
BEST NO-RISK PREMIUM VPN FOR ACCESSING NETFLIX:NordVPN is the best VPN option for movie fans looking for premium VPN service at a low price. The provider’s reasonable pricing, fast connection speeds, and above-average global server coverage and app support will combine to provide an alluring option when your 30-day money-back guarantee period is up.
Read my full review of NordVPN.
Surfshark made it into this lineup thanks to its budget-priced subscription options, optimal Netflix-accessing power, fast-growing global server network, and 30-day money-back guarantee.
The provider has greatly improved its global server count over the last year or so, and now has over 3,200 servers, located in 64+ countries. Those servers do a reliable job of providing access to Netflix, ESPN+, Hulu and many other streaming services.
The provider’s download speeds are easily up to the task of streaming Netflix’s HD quality streams and 4K content. Online gaming and file-sharing are also a go. No bandwidth limiting or data caps to spoil the fun.
Connection protection is top-notch, with bank-grade encryption, a kill switch, and ad-blocking protection. A “MultiHop” option routes your internet traffic through two VPN servers, each located in a different region of the globe. Privacy is also optimal at Surfshark thanks to a no-server-logs-ever policy and a Bitcoin subscription payment option.
Native app support includes offerings for the Linux, iOS, Android, Windows, macOS, and Fire TV device platforms. The provider’s apps lack some features found in other VPN providers’ apps – such as no OpenVPN protocol or split tunneling in the Mac app – but they still do an excellent job of protecting your connection.
Firefox and Chrome browser extensions are also available. Router setup instructions are available for numerous types of routers. The firm offers an industry-leading unlimited simultaneous connections allowance.
Surfshark customer support is available 24/7 thanks to always-available live chat, a searchable support library, and a support contact form.
- Quickly-expanding Netflix access
- Unlimited concurrent connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Fast connection speeds
- 1-month subscription is a bit expensive
BEST BUDGET VPN OPTION FOR NETFLIX:Users looking for budget-priced VPN coverage that offers reliable Netflix access for large groups will benefit from Surfshark’s budget-priced extended subscriptions, quickly-growing server network, and somewhat unusual unlimited concurrent connections allowance. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read my full review of Surfshark.
ExpressVPN is a great all-around VPN coverage option, offering reliable access to Netflix servers, fast connection speeds, and comprehensive multi-platform support. While their pricing is admittedly more expensive than other providers on this list, they offer a no-quibble, 30-day money-back guarantee.
The provider currently has 3,000+ servers stationed in 93+ countries around the globe. This provides access to Netflix in numerous countries, as well as other streaming providers, such as Hulu, Disney+, ESPN+ and BBC iPlayer.
ExpressVPN offers streaming-optimal download speeds and can easily handle the 4K content that most streaming services today offer. No daily or monthly data caps are around to ruin the fun.
The provider offers excellent connection protection thanks to military-level encryption, kill switch protection, and DNS and IPv6 leak prevention. Privacy is also never a worry thanks to ExpressVPN’s strict no-logs-on-the-server policy and Bitcoin subscription payment option.
Another high point from ExpressVPN is their comprehensive multi-platform app support, which offers apps for the iOS, macOS, Windows, Android, Amazon Fire, Chromebook, and Linux device platforms.
Chrome, Edge, and Firefox browser extensions protect your in-browser viewing. You can also use many different routers with the service, and up to 5 devices can connect at once using the same set of login credentials.
You can also use ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer DNS service to access Netflix on your game console, set-top box, or Smart TV. (Keep in mind that MediaStreamer doesn’t encrypt your internet connection.)
ExpressVPN provides around-the-clock support via 24/7 support agent chat, a support ticket tracking system, contact via email, and a searchable support knowledge base.
- Reliable access to Netflix and other services
- 4K-capable download streaming speeds
- Comprehensive privacy and security protections
- 24/7 customer support
- Priced higher than many other VPN providers
- Doesn’t label streaming and P2P servers
GREAT ALL-AROUND VPN PROTECTION:ExpressVPN is a great choice for all-around VPN protection. The provider provides reliable access to Netflix and other streaming video services, offers excellent global server coverage, and provides apps for popular device platforms. The 30-day money-back guarantee takes the risk out of the whole proposition.
Read my full review of ExpressVPN.
Movie fans new to the VPN scene will appreciate CyberGhost’s easy-to-use apps and streaming-optimized VPN servers, in addition to its 45-day money-back guarantee, the longest on this list.
With 7,000+ servers stationed in 90+ countries, the provider has your streaming video needs covered. In addition to Netflix, the provider offers streaming-optimized servers for HBO Now, Eurosport, BBC iPlayer, and many more international streaming services.
CyberGhost offers 4K-capable internet connection speeds, with no data caps or bandwidth limitations. Online gamers and file-sharing aficionados will also appreciate CyberGhost connections. No data caps or bandwidth throttling to be found here.
Those speedy connections are protected by government-level encryption, a kill switch, and IPv6 and DNS leak protection. Blocking of ads, online tracking, and malicious websites is also available. The provider also offers the ability to force websites to serve up HTTPS versions of their pages, if available.
Privacy is also well-handled thanks to a strict no-server-logs policy and a Bitcoin payment option.
Easy-to-use apps are available for the Android, Android TV, iOS, macOS, Linux, Amazon Fire, and Windows device platforms. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available.
The provider’s router compatibility covers your other devices. Up to 7 of your devices can be simultaneously connected to the service.
Around-the-clock customer support includes a 24/7 live support chat option, a trouble ticket system, and a searchable support library.
- Streaming-optimized servers for numerous providers
- 4K-ready connections
- Easy-to-use, yet powerful apps
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Apps lack some advanced options
ATTRACTIVE OPTION FOR NOVICE VPN USERS:CyberGhost should prove to be an attractive option for first-time VPN users who might also enjoy a little extra time to make up their mind. Easy-to-use apps and a 45-day money-back guarantee are available.
Read my full review of CyberGhost.
IPVanish rounds out this top 5 thanks to its self-owned and -operated VPN server network, which provides dependable, fast connections to its customers. This provider offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
This provider owns and operates its 1,500 servers, located in over 60 countries around the globe. While the provider’s U.S. and U.K. servers offer reliable access to Netflix, other countries’ servers can be a bit hit or miss when it comes to Netflix.
IPVanish offers connection speeds that can easily keep up with Netflix and other high-def streaming services. They are also suitable for downloading large files and playing online games. No data caps are ever inflicted when using this provider.
The provider protects your internet connection with government-level encryption, a kill switch (with optional auto-reconnect), IPv6 leak prevention, and a scramble feature that disguises your VPN traffic as normal internet usage.
IPVanish servers save no user logs of any kind, so no records of your online antics are ever recorded. Unfortunately, the provider doesn’t offer any private payment options, such as Bitcoin.
However, an added layer of privacy is available, as IPVanish owns and operates its entire global server network, meaning third-party contractors have no access to your personal information.
This provider offers app support for the Amazon Fire TV, Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS, ChromeOS, and Android device platforms. The provider also offers support for multiple routers. There are no browser extensions available at this time.
You can connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously on the same username.
Always-available customer support includes an online trouble ticket submission form and a searchable support library. The IPVanish website includes a system status page, which displays the current status of the provider’s VPN infrastructure.
A “support bot” will attempt to provide solutions to questions entered into a “chat” window. If it can’t satisfactorily answer a question, it will connect you to a support agent.
- Offers access to Netflix for all popular streaming devices
- Self-owned and -operated VPN servers
- Unlimited simultaneous connections allowed on a single login
- No browser extensions
- No private payment options
EXTRA LAYER OF PRIVACY:IPVanish’s allowance of unlimited connections per username makes it great for users with a small business or large family. It owns and operates its global server network, therefore keeping third-party contractors away from your personal data. A 30-day money-back guarantee is now available.
Read my full review of IPVanish.
Methodology for Assessing VPNs for Netflix
It’s true that absolutely free VPN service providers aren’t a good choice for accessing and streaming Netflix. But it’s also true that not every paid VPN is a good choice, either. You have to pay attention to a few key metrics in order to find the best VPN for Netflix.
Here are those metrics and why they’re important:
- Speed: Speed is always critical for streaming, as you want to be able to stream in HD or 4K and not have to wait long for your show or movie to load. All of the VPNs on my list offered extremely fast connection speeds during my most recent tests.
- Server Network: Netflix is available all over the world, so it’s likely you’ll want a VPN that offers a large server network so you can securely access regional versions of Netflix. In addition, a VPN should offer a large number of servers, as this will mean faster speeds – no individual server will be bogged down with too many users.
- Value: You’re obviously concerned about price. I made sure to recommend only VPNs that offer a good value for the money, and which offer lengthy money-back guarantees.
- Ease of Use: I only recommended VPNs that are easy to use, so you don’t have to worry about fiddling with a VPN’s settings in order to start bingeing your favorite shows. Also, I made sure to recommend VPNs that support a large number of devices with apps, so you can enjoy Netflix on your favorite devices.
- Security and Privacy: Digital security and privacy protections are important no matter what you’re up to, even streaming, as there are always dangers lurking on the internet. A VPN should offer, at least, banking-level encryption, an automatic kill switch and DNS/IP leak protection, if not more. A VPN should also never save logs of your online activities.
- Streaming: If you’re into streaming Netflix, you’re also likely into streaming from other providers, too. That’s why I made sure to recommend only VPNs that are adept at offering access to multiple video streaming providers. Each VPN on my list offers reliable access to streaming services such as Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video and more.
Check out more information about my VPN testing methodology.
Why Can’t I Use a Free VPN Service to Watch Netflix?
I previously mentioned that Netflix and other streaming services have become adept at detecting and preventing VPN users from accessing their streaming content.
When they detect a VPN-provided IP address, they quickly stop the address from accessing their service. The VPN provider must then set up new servers with new IP addresses, and so on, and so on, and…
This requires a VPN service to have enough resources to play the game. Free VPN service providers simply do not have the resources to keep up.
You may also recall that I said there were other reasons to not use a free VPN. In this section, I’ll explain that comment.
First off, when you connect to a free VPN provider, you may be forced to cool your heels in a queue, waiting for a spot to open up on the VPN’s servers. Then, once you’re given the green light to connect, you are either presented with a limited number of servers to connect to, or you’re automatically connected to a server of the free provider’s choice.
Once you’re connected, you’ll find that your connection has all sorts of free streaming-unfriendly limitations, including data caps, connection throttling, and even time limits.
Now, we come to the lack of privacy and security a free VPN “offers.” Many “free” VPNs make their money by recording a user’s online activities and then selling that information to the highest bidder. Other freebie providers will insert unwanted ads and tracking cookies into their users’ browsing sessions.
Hopefully, this is enough information to dissuade you from trying a “free” VPN.
How to Use a VPN to Watch Netflix
Using a VPN to access Netflix content from other countries requires a few easy-to-follow steps:
- Subscribe to a VPN service provider that offers secure access to Netflix. (NordVPN is my top pick.)
- Install the VPN provider’s app(s) on your device(s).
- Sign in to your VPN account.
- Select a server in the country whose Netflix content you want to view.
- Grab your favorite movie snack, start your Netflix app and enjoy the show!
How Does a VPN Provide Access to Netflix in Other Regions?
As I mentioned at the start of this article, a VPN can make your device appear to be connecting to the internet from another part of the world by temporarily assigning a new IP address to it.
An IP address acts as an identifier for your device, much like a mailing address does for your home or business. It allows other devices on the internet to identify where an information request was sent from, and where the reply is to go. An IP address also acts as a geographical location device. (Just like a mailing address.)
By assigning your device a fresh IP address, a VPN “spoofs” your location, making other devices on the internet see you as being located in London when you’re actually in Chicago.
This opens up access to high-quality video content that might normally be inaccessible to internet users in your area. This allows you to watch the best of U.K. television from your home in Atlanta.
What Other Streaming Services Can a VPN Offer Access to?
In addition to Netflix, there are many streaming services that a VPN can offer reliable access to, including:
- Amazon Prime Video
- BBC iPlayer
- YouTube and YouTube TV
- HBO Go
- Sling TV
- Many others
What Else Can a VPN Do?
In addition to offering reliable access to Netflix and other streaming services, a VPN can also provide access to gaming servers, foreign websites, and other services.
Plus, a VPN provides reliable online security, as well as protection for your online privacy. A VPN encrypts your connection, encasing it in a protective tunnel that prevents anyone from monitoring your online activities.
This is especially handy for folks who regularly use unprotected public Wi-Fi hotspots. A VPN keeps hackers from monitoring your activity, possibly stealing your credit card or banking information, or intercepting your connection when you’re shopping online.
A VPN’s encryption also hides your online activities from your Internet Service Provider, preventing them from throttling or blocking your internet connection merely because you’re engaging in “unapproved” online activities like P2P file-sharing or streaming video from certain websites.
Netflix offers a massive library of entertainment, but unfortunately, it’s spread out around the world. That’s why a VPN is an excellent tool for any online movie fan. But a free VPN isn’t going to cut it.
A VPN – like NordVPN – provides access to international Netflix content (as well as other streaming sites). It also protects your online activities with their encrypted connections and other protections, ensuring third parties cannot throttle or block your internet connection simply because of your online activities. Plus, it offers a 30-day, no-risk money-back guarantee.
For more information, visit the NordVPN website.
Free VPNs for Netflix FAQ
Is Using a Free VPN to Watch Netflix Legal?
It is perfectly legal to use any VPN to watch Netflix. However, if Netflix detects you’re using a VPN, they could stop the IP address that the free VPN has provided from accessing their content.
This highlights one big drawback of using a free VPN to view Netflix. Many free VPNs are low-budget operations that don’t have the resources to continue to set up new IP addresses as Netflix stops older IPs. This means you could lose access to your favorite Netflix content.
However, established paid providers, like NordVPN, have the resources to continue to create new IP addresses, ensuring that you have access to Netflix.
Will a VPN Work With the Netflix Free Trial?
A VPN will work with a Netflix free trial. Netflix provides the same streams during a free trial that they do when you’re a paying customer. The key is to use a reliable VPN provider, like NordVPN, to ensure your access to Netflix isn’t prevented, whether it's a free trial or when you’re paying for a Netflix subscription.
Can My ISP Find Out I'm Streaming Netflix With a VPN?
An ISP cannot tell where you are connecting to if you are using a VPN provider. All the ISP might be able to see is that you are connected to a VPN and that you’re using a decent amount of data. If your VPN provides obfuscation or stealth features, your ISP might even see your VPN traffic as normal browser traffic.
Can I Use a Proxy Server to Access Netflix?
While proxies did at one time provide access to Netflix, the streaming service has caught on to this trick and stops the lion's share of proxies from accessing its content. However, some of the providers on this list offer reliable smart DNS services that offer access to Netflix on gaming consoles, set-top boxes, and other streaming-capable devices.
- Steps to Get a Free VPN for Netflix
- What Are the Best VPNs for Watching Netflix That Offer Extended Money-Back Guarantees?
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. IPVanish
- Methodology for Assessing VPNs for Netflix
- Why Can’t I Use a Free VPN Service to Watch Netflix?
- How to Use a VPN to Watch Netflix
- How Does a VPN Provide Access to Netflix in Other Regions?
- What Other Streaming Services Can a VPN Offer Access to?
- What Else Can a VPN Do?
- Free VPNs for Netflix FAQ
- Is Using a Free VPN to Watch Netflix Legal?
- Will a VPN Work With the Netflix Free Trial?
- Can My ISP Find Out I'm Streaming Netflix With a VPN?
- Can I Use a Proxy Server to Access Netflix?