At a Glance
Educational institutions tend to frown upon Instagram due to students checking Insta instead of concentrating on their studies. This has led many schools and universities to block user access to Instagram on their networks.
While we could debate for hours about whether schools should block Instagram, I’d rather share with you how you can get around roadblocks like these with the help of a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
How to Unblock Instagram at School
Educational institutions block users from accessing Instagram by blocking the service’s servers on their routers. Luckily, by using a VPN, you can get around such roadblocks, as the VPN hides your online activities.
I’ve tested numerous VPNs over the last few years, and my results show that NordVPN is the most reliable way to restore access to Instagram and other blocked online services.
NordVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so it’s a no-risk proposition.
How to Use a VPN to Unblock Instagram
Just follow the instructions below to regain access to Instagram.
- Subscribe to a VPN provider.
- Download and install the provider’s app(s) on your device(s).
- Start the VPN app and connect to a VPN server.
- Connect to Instagram.
- Post your selfies and enjoy the photos of other users’ meals.
How a VPN Works
While this article is focused on how a VPN can help you avoid Instagram roadblocks at school, I would be remiss if I didn’t share information with you about other reasons why you should use a VPN at school.
A VPN opens access to websites and services that are blocked at your school, or that are blocked due to geographical or governmental restrictions. In addition to Instagram, a VPN can unblock social media sites like Snapchat and Facebook, as well as streaming services like Netflix, online games like Fortnite, and other websites and services.
A VPN also prevents third parties from observing your online activities. Governments are always interested in what their citizens are doing online. Other interested parties can include your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and that guy or gal sitting at the next table while you’re using the unsecured WiFi hotspot down at Starbucks.
In addition, some ISPs (COUGH! – Comcast – COUGH!) have been caught throttling their customers’ connection speeds when they detect they are accessing “unapproved” websites or engaging in P2P file sharing. By hiding your online activities, a VPN prevents your ISP from throttling your connection.
And that’s only the tip of the iceberg!
Methodology for Assessing a VPN for Unblocking Instagram
You don’t want to just pick the first VPN service provider you see for unblocking Instagram. Not every VPN offers the ability necessary to unblock Instagram, so it’s important to choose the right one.
These are the most important factors I considered when assessing my top VPN (NordVPN) for accessing Instagram:
- Connection speed: It’s always critical to consider speed when selecting a VPN, including for Instagram. You don’t want to have to wait a long time for images, videos, and text to load. NordVPN offers some top connection speeds, making it perfect for Instagram.
- Server network: You can unblock Instagram with almost any server, but if you want to stream international video streaming services, extensive global server coverage is a must. Also consider the number of servers that a VPN offers – the more servers, the better the performance because the servers won’t be bogged down with a high number of users.
- Value: Even if money is no object for you, it doesn’t make sense to invest a lot of money in a VPN that doesn’t offer the features and functionality you need. NordVPN offers much for its budget price.
- Ease of use: Easy-to-use apps are essential because you don’t want to waste time fiddling with a VPN when you just want quick access to Instagram. Also consider the types of devices that a VPN offers apps for because if it doesn’t offer an app for your favorite device to view Instagram, you’re out of luck. NordVPN offers easy-to-use apps for a multitude of devices.
- Security and privacy: Make sure that the VPN service provider you choose offers sufficient digital security and privacy protections. This includes government-grade encryption, an automatic kill switch, and IP/DNS leak protection. Also, make sure the VPN doesn’t save any logs of your online activities. NordVPN fits this description.
- Social media: In case you’re a fan of multiple social media networks, consider the fact that NordVPN is capable of unblocking not just Instagram, but also Snapchat. It also provides excellent compatibility with Facebook, Skype, Whatsapp, and more.
My research never ends at this point. Evaluating the factors listed above is just a small part of my comprehensive VPN testing methodology. My data-driven approach to testing helps me to totally understand the services that VPNs offer, allowing me to recommend only those that are a good fit for your needs.
What Is the Best VPN for Unblocking Instagram at School?
While it’s true that any VPN can probably unblock Instagram, we would also argue that if you’re going to pay for a VPN anyway, why not subscribe to a VPN that is uber-reliable, offers fast connections, and does a top-notch job of protecting your online travels?
NordVPN is that provider.
NordVPN is the best all-around VPN service available today.
Delivering speedy, well-protected connections, the provider opens access to Instagram and other blocked sites and services by helping you get around virtual roadblocks.
The provider also offers top-notch native app support, comprehensive customer support, and wide-ranging global server coverage.
Read my full review for additional information on NordVPN.
Instagram offers the best experience when you have a fast internet connection. Fast connections also improve your experience when you’re browsing the web, streaming video and music, playing games, or doing nearly any other online activity you can think of.
NordVPN ranked in the top 10 in the connection speed rankings during my most recent VPN connection speed tests, meaning you won’t have to wait long for images and videos to load.
Official Instagram apps are available on iOS and Android devices, as well as Windows PCs and tablets, allowing both posting and viewing of photos and videos.
Third-party apps are available for macOS and many other device platforms, and you can view the service in almost any major browser.
NordVPN offers apps for all of the major device platforms, including iOS, macOS (with M1/M2 Mac support), Linux, Windows, Android, Amazon Fire, and more. The provider also offers browser extensions for the Edge, Firefox, and Chrome platforms.
The provider allows you to connect up to six devices to their servers at once via a single set of login credentials, in case you want to share your VPN with friends.
Fingers crossed that you never have issues with your VPN service, but let’s face it, stuff happens. That’s when you’ll appreciate the level of customer support that NordVPN offers.
The provider’s 24/7 live chat, email support, and searchable troubleshooting and support library have you covered around the clock.
Global Server Coverage
While you’ll be able to unblock Instagram at school by using the nearest VPN server, you’ll also find that optimal global server coverage will enhance your other online activities by allowing you to access international content.
NordVPN covers the world like Sherwin-Williams, with nearly 5,600 servers located in close to 60 countries around the globe. That means that international content for online gaming, streaming video and music, and much more are at your fingertips.
Security and Privacy Protection
All NordVPN connections are protected with banking-grade encryption, IP/DNS leak protection, and kill switch protection to prevent your online activities from being inadvertently exposed.
Your privacy is protected by the provider’s strict no-user logs policy, meaning there are no records to be used to expose your online travels. The provider also accepts cryptocurrency, so using a disposable email address to sign up provides payment anonymity.
The provider is moving towards an owned-an-operated server model (many VPNs lease their server farms), keeping third-party contractors away from your personal information. NordVPN’s servers are all run only from volatile RAM, with no data of any type being written to an SSD or other type of physical hard drive. This means that whenever a NordVPN server is rebooted, powered down, or physically unplugged and moved, all data is securely wiped.
The provider’s “Complete” level of service (available for an additional fee) provides additional protective services, including a password manager, tracker and ad blocking, malware protection, dark web monitoring, and more.
NordVPN is a surprisingly low-priced provider, so you won’t have to spend much money on a subscription, especially a multi-year subscription.
Unblock Instagram at School
If your school blocks Instagram on its network, don’t worry about missing the latest post from your favorite Instagrammer. NordVPN will help you bust through those network roadblocks. Just promise me you’ll keep up with your schoolwork, okay?
In addition to opening up access to Instagram, NordVPN also opens access to geo-blocked content from streaming services like Netflix, protects your online activities from monitoring, and enhances all of your online activities.
For more information or to purchase a subscription, visit the NordVPN website.
Instagram at School FAQs
Which Free VPN Is the Best for Unblocking Instagram?
There is no such thing as a "best" free VPN for any online pastime, and Instagram is no exception. Free VPNs are not private – they collect and sell information about their customers' online travels, and limit your usage by imposing data caps and throttling their connections.
How Do I Unblock Instagram on a School Chromebook?
Depending on the model of your Chromebook, and which version of ChromeOS you're running, you may be able to install and run your VPN's Android app. Keep in mind, however, that many schools keep their Chromebooks "locked down" when it comes to installing apps.
Is it Legal to Unblock Instagram From School?
There are no laws (so far) against unblocking Instagram or any other social platform from school. However, you may be subject to penalties from the school if the school specifically restricts accessing Instagram while connected to their network.
How Do I Unblock Instagram On a School iPad?
If your school allows you to install apps on a school-owned iPad, you can install the Instagram app and a VPN app and unblock Instagram that way. If the school doesn’t allow installing apps on a school-owned iPad you’ll need to use your personal smartphone and a VPN or simply use the cellular connection on your smartphone to access Instagram.
Can I Run a VPN On a School Computer?
That depends on the school’s policy on installing and using outside apps on school computers. If it’s a laptop or desktop provided only for your use, you may be able to use a VPN to avoid any school network restrictions to access Instagram. If the school computer in question is located in a computer lab intended for use by all students, you may not be able to install any type of apps, including a VPN app.
Will Instagram Know I’m Using a VPN?
Since Instagram is owned by Facebook they see you when you’re sleeping, they know when you’re awake… Wait, that’s some other guy. But seriously, yeah they can likely detect your VPN usage, due to the IP address. However, they also likely won’t do anything about it.
- At a Glance
- How to Unblock Instagram at School
- How to Use a VPN to Unblock Instagram
- How a VPN Works
- Methodology for Assessing a VPN for Unblocking Instagram
- What Is the Best VPN for Unblocking Instagram at School?
- Unblock Instagram at School
- Instagram at School FAQs
- Which Free VPN Is the Best for Unblocking Instagram?
- How Do I Unblock Instagram on a School Chromebook?
- Is it Legal to Unblock Instagram From School?
- How Do I Unblock Instagram On a School iPad?
- Can I Run a VPN On a School Computer?
- Will Instagram Know I’m Using a VPN?