Educational institutions tend to frown upon the service due to students checking Insta instead of concentrating on their studies. This has led many schools and universities to block user access to Instagram on their networks.
While we could debate for hours about whether schools should block Instagram, I’d rather share with you how you can get around roadblocks like these with the help of a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
How to Unblock Instagram at School
Educational institutions block users from accessing Instagram by blocking the service’s servers on their routers. Luckily, by using a VPN, you can get around such roadblocks, as the VPN hides your online activities.
I’ve tested numerous VPNs over the last few years, and in my experience, NordVPN is the most reliable way to restore access to Instagram and other blocked online services.
NordVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so it’s a no-risk proposition.
Steps for Unblocking Instagram by Using a VPN
Just follow the instructions below to regain access to Instagram.
- Subscribe to a VPN provider.
- Download and install the provider’s app(s) on your device(s).
- Start the VPN app and connect to a VPN server.
- Connect to Instagram.
- Post your selfies and enjoy the photos of other users’ meals.
How a VPN Works
While this article is focused on how a VPN can help you avoid Instagram roadblocks at school, I’d be remiss if I didn’t share information with you about other reasons why you should use a VPN at school.
A VPN opens access to websites and services that are blocked at your school, or that are blocked due to geographical or governmental restrictions. In addition to Instagram, a VPN can unblock social media sites like Snapchat and Facebook, as well as streaming services like Netflix, online games like Fortnite, and other websites and services.
A VPN also protects your online activities from being observed by prying third parties. Governments are always interested in what their citizens are doing online. Other interested parties can include your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and that guy or gal sitting at the next table while you’re using the unsecured Wi-Fi hotspot down at Starbucks.
In addition, some ISPs (COUGH! – Comcast – COUGH!) have been caught throttling their customers’ connection speeds when they detect they are accessing “unapproved” websites or engaging in P2P file sharing. By hiding your online activities, a VPN prevents your ISP from throttling your connection.
And that’s only the tip of the iceberg!
Methodology for Assessing a VPN for Unblocking Instagram
You don’t want to just pick the first VPN service provider you see for unblocking Instagram. Not every VPN offers the ability necessary to unblock Instagram, so it’s important to choose the right one.
These are the important factors I considered when assessing my top VPN (NordVPN) for unblocking Instagram:
- Speed: It’s always critical to consider speed when considering a VPN, including for Instagram. You don’t want to have to wait a long time for images, video and text to load. NordVPN offers some top connection speeds, making it perfect for Instagram.
- Server Network: You can unblock Instagram with most any server, but if you want to stream international video streaming services, extensive global server coverage is a must. Also consider the number of servers that a VPN offers – the more servers, the more speed, because the servers won’t be bogged down with an inordinate number of users.
- Value: Even if money is no object for you, it doesn’t make sense to invest a lot of money in a VPN that doesn’t offer the features and functionality you need. NordVPN offers much for its budget price.
- Ease of Use: Easy-to-use apps are essential, because you don’t want to waste time fiddling with a VPN when you just want quick access to Instagram. Also consider the types of devices that a VPN offers apps for, because if it doesn’t offer an app for your favorite device to view Instagram, you’re out of luck. NordVPN offers easy-to-use apps for a multitude of devices.
- Security and Privacy: Make sure that the VPN service provider you choose offers sufficient digital security and privacy protections. This includes government-grade encryption, an automatic kill switch and IP/DNS leak protection. Also make sure the VPN doesn’t save any logs of your online activities. NordVPN fits this description.
- Social Media: In case you’re a fan of multiple social media networks, consider the fact that NordVPN is capable of unblocking not just Instagram, but also Snapchat. It also provides excellent compatibility with Facebook, Skype, Whatsapp and more.
Check out more information about my VPN testing methodology.
Which VPN Is Best for Unblocking Instagram at School?
While it’s true that any VPN can probably unblock Instagram, I would also argue that if you’re going to pay for a VPN anyway, why not subscribe to a VPN that is uber-reliable, offers fast connections, and does a top-notch job of protecting your online travels?
NordVPN is that provider.
NordVPN is the best all-around VPN service available today.
Delivering speedy, well-protected connections, the provider opens access to Instagram and other blocked sites and services by helping you get around virtual roadblocks.
The provider also offers top-notch native app support, comprehensive customer support, and wide-ranging global server coverage.
Instagram offers the best experience when you have a fast internet connection. Fast connections also improve your experience when you’re web browsing, streaming video and music, playing games, or doing nearly any other online activity you can think of.
NordVPN ranked #2 in speed during my most recent VPN connection speed tests, meaning you won’t have to wait long for images to load.
Official Instagram apps are available on iOS and Android devices, as well as Windows PCs and tablets, allowing both posting and viewing of photos and videos.
Third-party apps are available for macOS and many other device platforms, and you can view the service in most any major browser.
NordVPN offers apps for all of the major device platforms, including iOS, macOS, Windows, Android, and more. They also offer browser extensions for Firefox and Chrome platforms.
The provider allows you to connect up to 6 devices to their servers at once via a single set of login credentials, in case you want to share your VPN with friends.
Fingers crossed that you never have issues with your VPN service, but let’s face it, stuff happens. That’s when you’ll appreciate the level of customer support that NordVPN offers.
The provider’s 24/7 live support chat, email support, and searchable troubleshooting and support library have you covered around the clock.
Global Server Coverage
While you’ll be able to unblock Instagram at school by using the nearest VPN server, you’ll also find that optimal global server coverage will enhance your other online activities by allowing you to access international content.
NordVPN covers the world like Sherwin-Williams, with 5,400+ servers located in 59 countries around the globe. That means that international content for online gaming, streaming video and music, and much more are at your fingertips.
NordVPN is a surprisingly low-priced provider, so you won’t have to spend much money on a subscription, especially a multi-year subscription.
Read my full review for additional information on NordVPN.
Unblock Instagram at School
If your school blocks Instagram on its network, don’t worry about missing the latest post from your favorite Instagrammer. NordVPN will help you bust through those network roadblocks. Just promise me you’ll keep up with your schoolwork, okay?
In addition to opening up access to Instagram, NordVPN also opens access to geo-blocked content from streaming services like Netflix, protects your online activities from monitoring, and enhances all of your online activities.
For more information or to purchase a subscription, visit the NordVPN website.
Instagram At School FAQs
Which Free VPN is the Best for Unblocking Instagram?
There is no such thing as a "best" free VPN for any online pastime, and Instagram is no exception. Free VPNs are not private, they collect and sell information about their customers' online travels, and limit your usage by imposing data caps and throttling their connections.
How Do I Unblock Instagram on a School Chromebook?
Depending on the model of your Chromebook, and which version of Chrome OS you're running, you may be able to install and run your VPN's Android app. Keep in mind, however, that many schools keep their Chromebooks "locked down" when it comes to installing apps.
- How to Unblock Instagram at School
- How a VPN Works
- Methodology for Assessing a VPN for Unblocking Instagram
- Which VPN Is Best for Unblocking Instagram at School?
- Unblock Instagram at School
- Instagram At School FAQs
- Which Free VPN is the Best for Unblocking Instagram?
- How Do I Unblock Instagram on a School Chromebook?