Telegram is an encrypted instant messaging and Voice over IP service that’s available for most popular desktop and mobile devices. Users can send and receive videos, photos, audio, stickers and files of various types.
While the service has become popular with users around the globe, it isn’t so popular with many governments. Many countries have blocked access to Telegram (such as Iran, Russia, China, India and others), leaving citizens unable to use the service.
Luckily, a Virtual Private Network (VPN) can unblock access to Telegram in countries that block it. A VPN unblocks the service by making it appear as if the user (and their devices) are in a different country. A VPN does this by temporarily assigning them a new IP address, located in a different area.
This allows a user in Russia, China or another restricted area to appear to be in the United States or other countries, where the service is not blocked.
It also makes the use of Telegram available to you by encrypting your internet connection. The layer of encryption a VPN applies to your connection prevents outsiders from monitoring your online activities – including nosy governments. (They can’t block what they can’t see.)
When you’re considering a VPN to keep your Telegram conversations undercover, consider the following: security and privacy protections, customer support, app support and global server coverage.
In this article, I rank and review the top 6 VPNs to use with Telegram.
Best VPNs for Telegram
I put all of the best VPN providers through rounds of extensive testing, and I found that the following 6 VPNs work best with Telegram.
Here’s a quick summary:
- NordVPN: My #1 pick for Telegram, this provider’s top-notch connection encryption, as well as its strict no-logs policy, help ensure your Telegram conversations are kept out of sight. The provider’s speedy connections mean files and videos will be quick to load.
- Surfshark: The low-price leader of this bunch. Telegram users will be pleased with this provider’s global server coverage, as well as their privacy and security protections.
- ExpressVPN: ExpressVPN provides a top-notch service in multiple categories, such as its global server coverage, which offers seemingly unlimited choices for locations.
- CyberGhost: CyberGhost provides easy-to-use apps that offer one-click protection, making it an attractive choice for Telegram users who are new to VPNs and don’t want to fiddle with complicated settings.
- IPVanish: IPVanish offers the usual privacy and security protections, but adds another layer of protection by owning and operating their own VPN servers. This keeps third parties farther away from users’ personal information.
- PrivateVPN: This provider offers plenty of bandwidth for Telegram file and video sharing. While this provider doesn’t have a large number of servers, their positioning will be sufficient to unblock Telegram in your region.
I evaluated and ranked the top Telegram VPNs according to the following factors:
- Global server coverage
- Strength of privacy and security protections
- Multi-platform support
- Customer support
Here’s my list of the top 6 VPNs for use with Telegram.
NordVPN is your best option for providing optimal protection for your Telegram messaging sessions.
With over 5,400 servers located in nearly 60 countries, your global access needs are well covered. There won’t be any issues in connecting with friends and family, nor will you miss out on much geo-blocked content.
The provider’s download speeds are some of the fastest available from any VPN provider, easily capable of handling file transfers, streaming video, and more.
Online security and user account privacy are guaranteed thanks to this provider’s military-grade encryption and kill switch protection for connections. Their strict no-logs policy and welcome Bitcoin payment option keep your privacy under wraps.
Telegram is available on all of the major device platforms, and so is NordVPN. Apps for Android, iOS, Windows, Linux, Amazon Fire, Android TV, and macOS form the lineup, as well as extensions for Firefox and Chrome browsers.
Optimal router coverage is available to protect devices not on the above list or to assist users who need more than 6 connections at any one time.
If you ever require assistance with your VPN setup, you’ll be well served by NordVPN’s 24/7 support chat, email support, and searchable support library.
- Great low-cost option
- Seriously fast speeds
- Excellent app support
- Customer support has you covered
- Optimal privacy and security coverage
- Apps could be more user-friendly
BEST VPN FOR TELEGRAM:NordVPN is the best option when it comes to supplying protection for your Telegram messaging sessions. The provider’s excellent encryption and global server coverage keep their customers well protected in overly restrictive countries. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of NordVPN.
Surfshark is a solid option for budget-minded users who want to use a VPN with Telegram, but not pay an arm and a leg to do so.
Surfshark’s global server network includes 3,200+ servers in 65+ countries, giving you plenty of international access.
Surfshark supplies satisfying connection speeds, ensuring you will experience speedy file transfers and good performance while streaming and performing other online activities.
Military-grade encryption, a kill switch, and an ad-blocking feature protect your connection. The provider also offers a “MultiHop” ability that routes your connection through two VPN servers, giving you increased protection.
Surfshark follows a strict no-logs policy and accepts Bitcoin as a private payment option.
Multi-platform support is composed of apps for the iOS, Android, Windows, macOS, Linux, and Fire TV platforms. There are extensions for Chrome or Firefox browsers, and support for routers means you can protect all of your devices through a single point of access.
Surfshark supplies an unusual unlimited simultaneous connections policy, meaning you can connect as many devices to its servers at once as you want.
When it comes to customer service, Surfshark has you covered. 24/7 live support chat, a “contact us” form, and a searchable support library are all available.
- Budget-friendly price
- Ideal security and privacy protections
- Unlimited concurrent connections
- Comprehensive app support
- Apps could benefit from more advanced options
BEST FOR BUDGET:Surfshark is a worthy choice for Telegram users on a budget or those who would prefer to spend their money elsewhere. Above-average global server coverage and connection security keep Surfshark users safely connected with friends and family. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read my full review of Surfshark.
ExpressVPN delivers all-around great service, performing highly in the global server coverage, download speeds, and connection protection categories.
With 3,000+ servers well placed in 94 countries around the world, ExpressVPN offers thousands of Telegram-unblocking options for users trapped in restrictive countries. The provider’s extensive global server network also opens up content-unblocking possibilities for video streaming and gaming lovers.
ExpressVPN provides well-protected, blazingly fast connections. Customers’ connections are protected using military-grade encryption, as well as kill switch protection in many of their apps. The provider never restricts your online activities with data caps or bandwidth restrictions.
Privacy is one of ExpressVPN’s best features thanks to their faithful no-logs policy, saving absolutely no records of your online travels. They also accept Bitcoin as a subscription payment option.
ExpressVPN has all of the popular app platforms covered, and they even cover a few of the lesser platforms. Native app support is available for the Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Android TV, Amazon Fire, Chromebook, and Linux platforms. Browser extensions cover your Chrome, Edge, and Firefox browsing sessions.
Router support is available to protect any connected devices not included in the above list or to cover additional devices if you need more than 5 concurrent connections.
Customer support is another category where ExpressVPN scores well thanks to its 24/7 live support chat, email support, support ticket tracking system, and searchable knowledge base.
- Excellent global server coverage
- All major app platforms covered
- Top-notch security and privacy protection
- Bitcoin payment option
- Priced higher than many other VPNs
- Limit of 5 concurrent connections
WELL-ROUNDED VPN:ExpressVPN performs well in many categories, including security and privacy protections, connection speeds, multi-platform support and more, making it an all-around good option. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read our full review of ExpressVPN.
CyberGhost is the best choice for Telegram users who need their VPN to be simple and easy to use.
With 7,000+ servers stationed in over 90 countries around the globe, CyberGhost can open access to the rest of the world, covering all of your Telegram connection and content connection needs.
CyberGhost’s connection speeds are very fast, and their use of military-grade encryption keeps your online activities from being noticed. No one will ever find out the history of your online antics, either, as the provider follows a strict no-logs policy and accepts Bitcoin to keep payment details incognito.
The provider delivers when it comes to app support, with easy-to-use apps for Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android devices. Also available are Chrome and Firefox browser extensions, as well as Amazon Fire Stick and Android TV devices.
Router compatibility has all of the rest of your devices protected, and it offers unlimited protection when CyberGhost’s 7 concurrent connections allowance isn’t enough.
CyberGhost also scores well in the support category, delivering 24/7 live support chat, a searchable support library, and an easy-to-use support ticket tracking system.
- Plenty of server coverage
- Plenty of speed for all of your online activities
- Easy-to-use apps
- Superlative security and privacy protections
- Missing advanced options that other providers offer
- Doesn’t work in some overly restrictive countries
BEST FOR BEGINNERS:CyberGhost is the optimal choice for Telegram users new to the VPN world who want something simple to thoroughly protect their Telegram sessions. The provider’s great speeds and wide server coverage are added bonuses. 45-day no-risk money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of CyberGhost.
IPVanish makes the scene in this lineup thanks to its excellent privacy and security, on top of self-owned and self-operated VPN servers.
The service has more than 1,600 proprietary servers well placed in 55+ countries around the world. Since IPVanish keeps third parties away from your data, it provides an extra layer of security that other VPNs don’t provide.
IPVanish’s connection speeds are among the best, and the provider offers excellent protection for your online activities, covering your connection in a layer of government-level encryption.
The provider also keeps absolutely no logs related to your usage, keeping nosy nellies out of your business. However, there are no cryptocurrency payment options.
IPVanish has the same platforms covered that Telegram does, with apps for the Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Linux, and Windows Phone platforms. However, they do not offer browser extensions.
They do offer router compatibility, so you can cover devices that are not on the above list. The provider also offers an unlimited simultaneous connections allowance.
24/7 live support chat, email support, and a searchable support library all add up to comprehensive customer support.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Owns and operates all of its VPN servers
- Excellent security and customer support
- No browser extensions
- Lacks a Bitcoin payment option
LIGHTWEIGHT BUT SECURE VPN:IPVanish keeps your personal data undercover thanks to its self-owned and -operated servers, along with their well-encrypted connections. They do lack a private payment option, but that may not matter for many users. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
PrivateVPN competes well on the connection speed, security, and privacy levels, but lags a bit when it comes to global server coverage.
A server count of 150+ servers lags well behind many other providers in the industry. However, PrivateVPN has strategically placed the servers around the globe, in 60 countries.
PrivateVPN’s speedy connections are well-protected thanks to the provider’s military-level encryption. They also have you covered in the privacy department, with a strict no-logs policy and a Bitcoin payment option.
PrivateVPN’s app support is limited to iOS, Android, Windows, and macOS, but that covers all of the most popular platforms that Telegram supports. (Linux coverage is available if you’re willing to do some manual configuration.) The app offers a goodly number of advanced options, but be careful when changing them, as customer support isn’t 24/7.
Router coverage takes care of any of the devices not on the list, as well as additional devices if you need more than 6 simultaneous connections.
Customer support is somewhat limited. Support chat is available, but it’s limited to business hours. A “Contact Us” form and a non-searchable FAQ section round out the support features.
- Fast connection speeds
- Allows 6 concurrent connections
- All-around security and privacy protections
- Server numbers are low
- No 24/7 customer support
BEST FOR EXPERIENCED VPN USERS:PrivateVPN is a great option for experienced users who don’t mind tinkering with settings and don’t need much hand-holding. The provider’s fast download speeds are great for video chats. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available.
Read our full review of PrivateVPN.
Methodology for Assessing a VPN With Telegram
If you’re using Telegram to communicate with other users, privacy and security are important to you. This makes the VPN that you use to protect your conversations an important consideration.
These are the most important features to consider when considering a VPN for use with Telegram:
- Speed: While Telegram may be used mostly for text-type messaging, it can also be used to send and receive video, images, audio, and other types of content. This makes a VPN’s connection speeds an important factor to consider. Slow connections result in extended wait times for your content to get to you. NordVPN, my top VPN for Telegram, offers fast connection speeds.
- Server Network: It is important to research a VPN provider’s presence in countries around the globe. This will allow you to access Telegram and other sites and services from around the globe. A large number of servers is also important, as that means the provider’s servers won’t be overloaded with users, maintaining a high level of performance.
- Value: A VPN’s value can be calculated by weighing its list of features against its asking price. Never settle for a VPN service that doesn’t offer a high level of features and functionality or a reasonable price. NordVPN is a reasonably-priced provider that definitely offers a high level of service for its asking price.
- Ease of Use: Just because a VPN is powerful it doesn’t mean it should be complicated to use. Plus, Telegram is available on multiple connected devices, so the more connected devices a VPN supports, the better. NordVPN offers easy-to-use apps for most popular devices.
- Security and Privacy: Your online security and privacy are important, especially when you’re using an app like Telegram. A VPN should offer, at minimum, banking-grade encryption, a kill switch, and DNS and IP leak protection. Plus, always make sure the VPN never saves any server logs related to your online activities. NordVPN offers all of the above and more.
Check out more information about my VPN testing methodology.
How to Use Telegram With a VPN
Protecting your Telegram conversations with a VPN is just a matter of a few clicks of the mouse or taps of a screen:
- Subscribe to a VPN.
- Download, install and run the VPN provider’s app(s) on your device(s).
- Connect to a VPN server. If you’re located in a country where Telegram is blocked, be sure to connect to a server in a different country.
Is a Free VPN a Good Option For Use With Telegram?
A “free” VPN isn’t an optimal solution for any online activity. There, I said it!
But a freebie provider is DEFINITELY not a good option for protecting your Telegram conversations.
“Free” VPNs may not take money directly out of your bank account, but they do cost you in other ways. Those providers cost you in terms of privacy and convenience.
Even freebie providers need to keep the lights on and the servers humming, so they need to make money some way. Many do this by tracking their users’ online travels, saving the information, and then selling it to advertisers and other nosy nellies. The providers have also been known to insert unwanted ads and tracking cookies into your browsing sessions.
Free providers are also inconvenient to use. Many gratis providers make their users wait in a queue for a period of time before allowing them to connect to a VPN server. Then, once a user is allowed to connect, they find that their server selection is greatly limited if they get to choose a server at all.
Once connected, users often find that their connection speeds are throttled and that their usage is restricted via monthly data caps or bandwidth restrictions. None of this sounds like a good deal, does it?
Quality VPN protection costs less per month than most streaming services (and a VPN can help you access more content from those services, as you’ll see in the next section). I strongly recommend you avoid “free” VPN providers like the plague.
What Else Can I Do With a VPN?
A Virtual Private Network isn’t limited to protecting you from being monitored or blocked while using Telegram to stay in touch with friends and family.
When it comes to protecting your online privacy and security, a VPN is a virtual Swiss Army knife of protection. Plus, a VPN opens up online content you might not normally have access to.
It Unblocks Content
The same IP-“spoofing” ability that allows you to use Telegram in countries where the service is blocked can also open access to streaming and gaming content that may usually be inaccessible in your region.
A VPN can make it appear as if your device is connecting from numerous locations around the world, opening up access to that region’s content. A VPN can also open access to gaming servers and in-app downloads that might be unavailable in your area of the world.
It Prevents Throttling
A VPN also protects you from throttling. Some Internet Service Providers – ::COUGH!:: Comcast ::COUGH!:: – have been known to throttle connections speeds of users who are accessing “unapproved” content or participating in file sharing.
A VPN encrypts your internet connection, preventing your ISP from throttling your online activities, as it won’t be able to tell what you’re doing.
It Prevents Monitoring
A VPN protects your online privacy by not keeping any records of your online activities.
Many ISPs keep track of their customers’ online activities, then sell that information to advertisers and other interested parties. The U.S. government can also petition to have access to that information.
Your ISP can, at best, only see that you’re connecting to a VPN, so they won’t be able to track your activities for later sharing.
Other Ways to Maximize Your Online Privacy
While Telegram keeps your messages encrypted, there are security risks related to using the computer or device Telegram is installed on.
In addition to a VPN, consider installing a few extra security tools on your computer or device to better protect your all-around privacy and security.
Security tools include:
- Antivirus software
- A firewall
- Anti-rootkit software (when available)
- Security-focused browser extensions
- A password manager
Another way to maximize your anonymity and security is by avoiding public Wi-Fi hotspots. In addition, use an encrypted email provider – and if you really want to stay incognito, download and install a secure browser, like Tor.
Telegram VPN FAQs
What Is the Best Free VPN for Telegram?
If you're using Telegram, you're probably concerned about your privacy. Free VPNs are terrible when it comes to privacy. They often track user activity and sell that data to advertisers and other nosy nellies. Not only that, but they also throttle connection speeds, make users wait in queues and impose data caps. For your privacy and security, use a paid provider.
How Do I Use a VPN With Telegram?
Using a VPN with Telegram is simple. Just download your preferred VPN provider's app(s) onto your device(s), sign in, connect to a VPN server in a country where Telegram is available and start using the messaging app.
What Is the Best VPN for Telegram on PC?
Telegram is available on desktop as well as on smart phones. NordVPN offers apps for all of these platforms: macOS, Windows, iOS and Android. This provider is your best bet for offering the best performance and security with Telegram.
Which Device Platforms is Telegram Compatible With?
Telegram is compatible with all of the most popular device platforms, including Android, iOS, Linux, macOS, and Windows.
If you’re looking for the optimal method of enhancing and protecting online Telegram conversations, you’ll find that the best way to do so is by using a Virtual Private Network.
NordVPN offers the best all-around VPN protection available today to protect your Telegram conversations from any over-zealous government wanting to monitor or block your access.
The provider also protects your other online activities, opens access to content from around the globe and provides connection speeds well up to streaming any kind of entertainment content.
For more information or to purchase a subscription, visit the NordVPN website.
- Best VPNs for Telegram
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. IPVanish
- 6. PrivateVPN
- Methodology for Assessing a VPN With Telegram
- How to Use Telegram With a VPN
- Is a Free VPN a Good Option For Use With Telegram?
- What Else Can I Do With a VPN?
- Other Ways to Maximize Your Online Privacy
- Telegram VPN FAQs
- What Is the Best Free VPN for Telegram?
- How Do I Use a VPN With Telegram?
- What Is the Best VPN for Telegram on PC?
- Which Device Platforms is Telegram Compatible With?